Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 12th March 2018, 01:53 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 32298 from Dublin
53 posts since Oct 2013
Motorbike: DL650 VStrom Varadero 125
Default How is crash repair work paid by insurance co.?

Hi all,when an insurance company settles on an amount to have repair done on a crashed motorbike what way is it done?.....like does the garage do the work and sends the bill to the insurance company? Do I receive a cheque to pay for it ?.....or is there some other way? Thanks

Ger
Old 12th March 2018, 02:14 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,698 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: FJ1100
Default Re: How is crash repair work paid by insurance co.?

The insurance company will most likely either suggest somewhere to get it fixed and they pay directly or that you get it fixed and submit the invoice.

You don't have to do that though (especially if the damage was caused by someone else) you can ask for a cheque although they will grumble
Old 12th March 2018, 02:29 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

53 posts since Oct 2013

Originally Posted by Frisco
The insurance company will most likely either suggest somewhere to get it fixed and they pay directly or that you get it fixed and submit the invoice.

You don't have to do that though (especially if the damage was caused by someone else) you can ask for a cheque although they will grumble
Thanks for the reply........the damage was caused by someone else and I am dealing with there insurance company.....I have sent them the crash estimate and I have had an engineer out looking at it so I'm hopeful it will be sorted soon.

Ger
Old 12th March 2018, 03:01 PM

If their assessor comes out say as little as possible. They'll ask about what you think the value is etc but just say you don't know.
treat everything they say as having an angle and remember there're working for the insurance company
Old 12th March 2018, 03:13 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,485 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

they will obviously try and squirm out as cheap as possible.
however, you have the estimates done and their assessor was out, if the shop estimate was let's say 2 grand then they will try and negotiate down from there, what I did in a claim about 10 years ago was simply telling them that they could send me the refusal in writing so I could hand it to my solicitor but that I would ad those cost to my claim along with any time from work for court, they agreed the claim amount there and then, don't let then feck you about
Old 12th March 2018, 03:19 PM
Novice Racer

53 posts since Oct 2013

If their assessor comes out say as little as possible. They'll ask about what you think the value is etc but just say you don't know.
treat everything they say as having an angle and remember there're working for the insurance company
Cheers

When you said that I could ask for a cheque to pay for repairs myself are they entitled to do that 100%?

Ger
Old 12th March 2018, 03:29 PM
Novice Racer

53 posts since Oct 2013

Originally Posted by kwackquack
they will obviously try and squirm out as cheap as possible.
however, you have the estimates done and their assessor was out, if the shop estimate was let's say 2 grand then they will try and negotiate down from there, what I did in a claim about 10 years ago was simply telling them that they could send me the refusal in writing so I could hand it to my solicitor but that I would ad those cost to my claim along with any time from work for court, they agreed the claim amount there and then, don't let then feck you about
Cheers........the damage came to just 2 grand but i would accept a bit less than that (if its the case) as the estimate had a few things on it that really don't need to be changed like small scratches on footrest,hangers etc that are really not noticable and may of being on them already!

My dealings with them so far has being good so hopefully that continues.

Ger
Old 12th March 2018, 03:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,485 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

if the estimate is 2 grand then tell them that you will accept 1800 and do the work yourself instead of the bike shop and they will most likely send you a cheque straight away as a settlement, however this also means you will not have a comeback later if any physical stuff pops up as a result of the accident
Old 12th March 2018, 03:44 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,466 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Originally Posted by Ger310
Hi all,when an insurance company settles on an amount to have repair done on a crashed motorbike what way is it done?.....like does the garage do the work and sends the bill to the insurance company? Do I receive a cheque to pay for it ?.....or is there some other way? Thanks

Ger
Did you include a new helmet and any gear that's damaged?
Old 12th March 2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ger310
Cheers........the damage came to just 2 grand but i would accept a bit less than that (if its the case) as the estimate had a few things on it that really don't need to be changed like small scratches on footrest,hangers etc that are really not noticable and may of being on them already!

My dealings with them so far has being good so hopefully that continues.

Ger
Stop thinking like that. Everything that's scratched should be replaced or repaired.
They are all nice to you until it comes to offering money. Be prepaired to be offered insulting amounts and just stick your ground, if you drop off the minor stuff they will still offer less for the more serious damage.

You think if you're fair with them they'll be fair with you when really they'll be Legend, ps. I love you Xs either way. Claiming for all the damage done is not scamming them it's what you're actually owed.

Yes you can ask for a cheque, as I said they'll probably make excuses but you can get one.

Have they admitted liability?
Old 12th March 2018, 06:51 PM
Novice Racer

53 posts since Oct 2013

Originally Posted by kwackquack
if the estimate is 2 grand then tell them that you will accept 1800 and do the work yourself instead of the bike shop and they will most likely send you a cheque straight away as a settlement, however this also means you will not have a comeback later if any physical stuff pops up as a result of the accident
I hope to get the full amount and get the garage to do the repairs.......if they offer less and if its not too much less then I will haggle a little with them until i get what i feel is enough to get the bike sorted,cheers

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Did you include a new helmet and any gear that's damaged?
Just the cost of a helmet even though it did not hit the ground.......my other gear was fine.

Stop thinking like that. Everything that's scratched should be replaced or repaired.
They are all nice to you until it comes to offering money. Be prepaired to be offered insulting amounts and just stick your ground, if you drop off the minor stuff they will still offer less for the more serious damage.

You think if you're fair with them they'll be fair with you when really they'll be Legend, ps. I love you Xs either way. Claiming for all the damage done is not scamming them it's what you're actually owed.

Yes you can ask for a cheque, as I said they'll probably make excuses but you can get one.

Have they admitted liability?
I'm not dropping off anything until I hear what they offer......if its the full amount great but if not I will weigh it up then and see if I'm happy...... it's all ifs and buts right now though

Yes they have admitted liability,cheers
Old 12th March 2018, 11:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
2,058 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Honda Africa Twin
Modifications: Bits & Pieces

Plus 30k in cash in brown envelope for whiplash

Only joking before people jump on the compo bandwagon....unless you actually suffered any injuries.
Old 13th March 2018, 02:13 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
403 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by R.M
Plus 30k in cash in brown envelope for whiplash

Only joking before people jump on the compo bandwagon....unless you actually suffered any injuries.
A bump here and a little thump there may seem like nothing to write home about, but the cumulative damage from repeated knocks can be life altering. Serious orthopaedic injuries are not always caught in A&E, they can insidiously manifest their symtoms some time later.

Nobody would be slow or behind the door when it comes to telling you they don't owe you a living, try not be too suprised when ya find out that includes Mr. SMIDSY the guy would think nothing of robbing you of your ability to earn a wage.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:13 AM
Pissbag Inspector!!

Biker.ie Member No. 20797 from over there
3,333 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: An Austrian & a Spaniard
Modifications: runs on plutonium

It's usually repair cost less the vat if your taking cash in leau of repairs
Old 17th March 2018, 07:17 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 10744 from Dublin
230 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: 2017 Tracer 900
Modifications: Full Akra system

All insurance companies have different policies and will try pay out as little as possible. I'm pretty sure that when claiming from a 3rd party, (you're not bound by their "policy rules") you're entitled to whatever they'd have paid the garage for the repair. So if the garage quotes you 2k and you send that on to the insurance company they then ring the garage and try haggle. If they get them down to say 1800 then you're entitled to receive that by cheque.
A lot of insurance companies will agree to pay for your bike in advance of any personal injury claim settlement. Just be careful of any paperwork you sign. You could agree one thing by phone and next they send a "full and final settlement" for you to sign without you realising it.
Just be careful and scrutinise everything!
Best of luck with all of it.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbigguscocksimus
You could agree one thing by phone and next they send a "full and final settlement" for you to sign without you realising it.

On that. If you do settle and then find that you have injuries that warrant a claim you can still do that even if you have signed/agreed to a full and final settlement on your bike.

There is a time limit of injury claims (can't remember what it is) but taking a settlement on your bike/gear doesn't stop you from taking an injury claim if you need to.

And no you are not bound by any policy rules as a 3rd party since you didn't sign up to their policy.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
crash, insurance, paid, repair, work