Old 10th March 2018, 01:07 AM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
299 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: gsxr 1000
Default Paying a private seller in UK

Lots of much nicer bikes in the UK obviously and cheaper as well. How do you pay a private seller? Wouldn't a bank transfer be risky as they could just tell you that they haven't received the money or just straight up stop contact with you. Do the courier companies even collect from private seller like teds trucking?
Old 10th March 2018, 06:07 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37129
147 posts since Apr 2017
Default Re: Paying a private seller in UK

Originally Posted by badass
Lots of much nicer bikes in the UK obviously and cheaper as well. How do you pay a private seller? Wouldn't a bank transfer be risky as they could just tell you that they haven't received the money or just straight up stop contact with you. Do the courier companies even collect from private seller like teds trucking?
I bought private recently in the uk.

Last edited by iano; 10th March 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10th March 2018, 06:08 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 9615 from Naas
1,167 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: r1150rockster
Modifications: nothing silly

My first bike i bought from e-bay. First i did a background check on the bike, then I payed 10% to his account. Took the ferry to Holihead, payed the rest in cash to the currier (of his chioce) who delivered the bike from Kent.
It was a bit worrying but i normaly worry for everything :-)
Worked out very well.
Old 10th March 2018, 07:01 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,486 posts since Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Onlybikerinthevillage
I bought private recently in the uk.
I'd edit or delete that other line for a public forum.
Old 10th March 2018, 08:12 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37129
147 posts since Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Airman
I'd edit or delete that other line for a public forum.
Won’t let me edit it👍
Old 10th March 2018, 09:52 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 30882 from Cork City
204 posts since Feb 2013
Motorbike: Honda VFR 1200f
Modifications: DAM exhaust...sweet

Lads, I accept tis cheaper over there, but is it a bit dodgy dealing privately? Is it really worth it to go private over dealer that it would be cheaper again to take the chance?
I only ask out of lack of experience... Something I considered before but didn't have the nerve ta see it thrrough. And, something I may look at in the future again.... How payment works, and the safest bet is something I'd like to know as well as previously asked...
Old 10th March 2018, 01:20 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9212 from Donegalistan
1,331 posts since Apr 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: '09 R1200GS Adventure

I've bought several bikes of private owners in the UK and never had a single issue. Secure the bike with a deposit, go get it or arrange for a reputable transporter to get it on your behalf and pay balance on collection. Speak to the seller by phone, ideally more than once and you should get a good idea whether they are full of it or genuine.
The choice in the UK is simply much better with for more competitive prices because of it.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:57 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
545 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by Onlybikerinthevillage
bite me, he did not say
and I reached for report post button.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:21 PM
<< SAVAGE LID

Biker.ie Member No. 4646 from Back of the Wolfpack..Try
26,536 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959

Sorted
Old 10th March 2018, 06:19 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,396 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

One good option is to put a very small deposit to secure bike, phone seller and at the right time of year (not in the snow) get a cheap mid week flight and get to sellers house (some will offer to pick you up from airport or bus station i.e. you might have to get a flight and then bus or train) Then enjoy a ride home through the back roads of Wales etc.... get on the ferry and home. This can be an enjoyable trip if you have a good outlook towards it, but if you are a lazy git and want it picked up there are options in respect to payment etc.. and it does not have to involve cash. Summer time is best for this activity when she be 25 degrees etc.... pints, great food and a new bike and an adventure (just get your ferry times correct or yer fooked)
Old 10th March 2018, 06:43 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
1,553 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by VJMC
One good option is to put a very small deposit to secure bike, phone seller and at the right time of year (not in the snow) get a cheap mid week flight and get to sellers house (some will offer to pick you up from airport or bus station i.e. you might have to get a flight and then bus or train) Then enjoy a ride home through the back roads of Wales etc.... get on the ferry and home. This can be an enjoyable trip if you have a good outlook towards it, but if you are a lazy git and want it picked up there are options in respect to payment etc.. and it does not have to involve cash. Summer time is best for this activity when she be 25 degrees etc.... pints, great food and a new bike and an adventure (just get your ferry times correct or yer fooked)
I did the same as this ^^^ , cheapish flight to Southampton, guy picked me up at airport and drove to his house, looked the bike over (usual with UK guys full history, mot's etc.) and gave him cash. Rode back to a hotel halfway to fishguard and got boat to Roslare the following day - very civilised!, worst part of trip was Roslare to Dublin!
You can generally get a feel from a seller on the phone and by the nature of their advert. If you were really windy, you could opt to get a bike near the really cheappy flights (Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol etc.) and book a return flight just in the unlikely event it goes pear shaped...
Old 10th March 2018, 07:48 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
299 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: gsxr 1000

I heard about that, but I read that you can't do it anymore because you get stopped by the police and the bike gets taken off from you and you walk, unless you run of course. Knowing my luck, I would probably run out of fuel or crash if I attempted to run. I heard that they park right outside the port now though.
Old 10th March 2018, 09:48 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,396 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

Well can one not get insurance to cover etc............ ???? or a bike shop I bought from twice delivered right into the port and I mean to the gate

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
paying, private, seller