Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th March 2018, 12:37 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4354 from Sallins/Derry
8,734 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Rust
Default Are motorcycles the solution to Dublin gridlock?

I follow the NTA and various other groups on twitter and FB all stating the car is really the biggest problem facing Dublin which is probably true. They choke the place up and take up all the space with very little return.

I hear hundreds of angry cyclist groups giving out about how they are mistreated and ignored while at the same time they are given lanes and allowed to travel in the bus lanes and allowed to ignore the rules of the road. Collage green is a joke IMO, they have a bigger lane than the buses and taxis have. They campaign tirelessly which seems to pay off. Every year they get more and more. If you mistreat them in anyway, they are like a pack of fly's on shite attacking from all sides via social media.

It all seems to be about bus, train, tram and bicycle in DUblin.

But never have I seen anyone even suggest motorcycle as a practical method of travel in our capital.. Bicycles seem to think the are the fastest way around the city, LOLOL. Really.

Why is Shane Ross not even suggesting that people get their CBT and get biking. Its by far and wide the fastest most practical way in and out of Dublin.
People are afraid of motorcycles which is understandable , but I would guess that cyclists in the city are just as vulnerable as motorcyclist if not more so as they are as slow as a wet week. . Its hard to find any real stats on it TBH. Im not talking about fast roads. Im taking WITHIN THE m50.
Why are people not taking to motorcycling? It should be booming here. Dublin motorcyclists are a vast minority .

Last edited by KTMkenny; 8th March 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 8th March 2018, 12:58 AM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
242 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: sv1000s, gsxr 1000
Default Re: Are motorcycles the solution to Dublin gridlock?

I wondered that myself, how come the people don't cope on themselves. I go into the city center around 3 times per week and between 7:00 and 9:00 there are kilometers of traffic at standstill, every single work day. I took the cage maybe 3 times and it took me 1.4-2 hours to arrive. Same journey takes me 40-45 min on the bike, riding at a normal pace and filtering. It has to be the same commuters locked in their cages sitting at standstill for hours, if I had to do that I would go mad for sure. Bus is no better either if you're from outside Dublin, it takes only a few minutes less than a cage. Sometimes it's miserable in the shitty never stopping rain but it's worth it in the end. Bikes don't even exists anywhere in surveys. I remember that thread where there was a survey of who hates who and they included every type of transport you can think of except a motorbike. Motorbikes are mostly ignored in everything, bicycles can use bus lanes, motorbikes can't. One of the main reasons I got into motorbikes was never ending traffic and no other reasonable options. There is a general view that bikes are extremely dangerous and you are sure to die, I tried to convince my friends to get into biking but they always come back with "bikes are too dangerous and I don't want to be paralyzed or dead".
Old 8th March 2018, 06:42 AM
Fucks given = 0

Biker.ie Member No. 2916 from Chume, Counteh Galweh
17,610 posts since Mar 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Yore ma
Modifications: Purple anodised footpegs

Yes. Powered two wheelers are the answer to Dublins gridlock up until it has the population density of Singapore, then it becomes gridlocked with bikes. Small and medium sized scooters/bikes are the answer in every large European city and our weather probably puts most people off. I'm the only bike I see commuting through gridlocked Galway most days, everyone else prefers to sit in their cages and queue. I don't get it.

'cptr
Old 8th March 2018, 07:01 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,454 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Theres a number of reasons

1) Not bothered with the hassle of having to sit the theory test
2) Paying the lgbt is expensive
3) Insurance is expensive (for the 1st year)
4) The weather isn't great in Ireland
5) Motorbikes are expensive to maintain

These are all responses from friends of mine posed with the questions of getting bikes. I've two friends who over the last two years got into biking but with the main complaint being the cost up front.

1k for gear
1k for insurance
€500 for lgbt

You're looking at approx 1.5k - 2k before you even sit on the bike.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:06 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 13490
1,429 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: KTM, Triumph

The costs don't help. A lot of the cycle commuters are students, lower paid workers etc. Getting on a motorcycle nowadays for a beginner is so cost prohibitive that I think it's only really those young people that have a real passion for it that do it. A motorcycle to work scheme would be the dogs bollicks though.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:15 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36956
198 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: Honda cbr1000rr
Modifications: none

Weather is your number one reason for Joe average not to use a powered two wheeler ( or a push bike for that matter) number two the perceived danger and risk involved using two wheels, any type.
Ask any driver in Dublin why they don't cycle, especially in city centre and they will tell you it's too dangerous with the cars.

Now think about that for a minute. The very person telling you it's too dangerous to cycle because of the cars is a car driver. There is a fundamental flaw in the way drivers view two wheels, they blame car drivers for being dangerous to two wheelers when they themselves are the drivers. Odd isn't it.?

Dublin city council do not consider motorcycles at all, some would say they despise them. Who knows why, because motorcyclists are profiled automatically. If you ride a motorcycle you are a dangerous individual, you're probably poorer because you ride a motorcycle, most people think of motorcyclists in the city as couriers.. Don't believe me, go into an office of a company that you deal with or your company deals with and see how you are dealt with, because there is no way a customer would be on a motorcycle.. Couriers round the back of the building please.

How many motorcycle parking bays are there on Dublin city centre? �� I only know of one at the side of the Gpo. So DCC do not consider, think about, care about motorcycles. It's the smell for pushbikes to be honest, not enough secure bicycle parking and locking around the city.

Two wheels are the answer, bicycles can be far quicker in the CC, I cycle in Dublin daily so I know.

It's the weather and "danger" element that will keep people away. And I suppose now the cost of even getting a license and training etc now would be quite a hindrance.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:37 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
127 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

The weather is hardly an excuse. I've only recently moved to the pale and it never rains here! It's laughable really compared to the west coast.
The main reason for me personally not having my bike in Dublin is the lack of secure parking. I don't trust my baby will be left unmolested at the side if the road. So bicycle it is for me.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:14 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,317 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Biking is definitely not for everyone. Impossible to compare it to push bikes, the forces are completely different and even if you talk about a 125 scooter, some people will struggle to move a scooter around, where a push bike, anyone can lift and move around with no hassle.

On average a push bike will do what... 15/20km/h? if that much... where your most basic scoot will cruise at 60km/h all day long, that's triple the speed and injury is exponential.

Almost no running cost for push bikes and with the cycle to work scheme you can get a decent brand new one for cheap.

Plus all the other reasons above!

Regarding the social media wave of spandex Legend, ps. I love you Xs complaining and wining, the only solution for that is dash cams on all the cages to prove that they are the ones causing most accidents by doing 10km/h on an 80 or 100 zone (they'll say that it's not a target, it's the maximum) but of course they don't grasp the concept of progress and how impossible it is to brake from 80/100 to 10 after a blind corner on a narrow road.

Initial cost + weather + safety + practicality, lots of reasons to put your young lads out of motor biking
Old 8th March 2018, 08:31 AM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
8,956 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S

Originally Posted by RTV
Biking is definitely not for everyone. Impossible to compare it to push bikes, the forces are completely different and even if you talk about a 125 scooter, some people will struggle to move a scooter around, where a push bike, anyone can lift and move around with no hassle.

On average a push bike will do what... 15/20km/h? if that much... where your most basic scoot will cruise at 60km/h all day long, that's triple the speed and injury is exponential.

Almost no running cost for push bikes and with the cycle to work scheme you can get a decent brand new one for cheap.

Plus all the other reasons above!

Regarding the social media wave of spandex Legend, ps. I love you Xs complaining and wining, the only solution for that is dash cams on all the cages to prove that they are the ones causing most accidents by doing 10km/h on an 80 or 100 zone (they'll say that it's not a target, it's the maximum) but of course they don't grasp the concept of progress and how impossible it is to brake from 80/100 to 10 after a blind corner on a narrow road.

Initial cost + weather + safety + practicality, lots of reasons to put your young lads out of motor biking
I'd agree with most of this, except that cyclists are causing road accidents.

As a road user of every type of vehicle, I'm consistently amazed at the failure of many drivers to look further than 20m down the road. It's no surprise people do not adjust for cyclists - they don't do it for any oncoming vehicles, buses, or pedestrians. Hell, people often run into the LUAS.

But I'm a big fan of dash cams (I use them on the bicycles too), and if it's found to be the case then I'll happily change my mind.

By the way, I've noticed that electric bikes make for better cyclists. The person getting an electric would usually be quite an incompetent cyclist otherwise, unable to shift gears or pedal hard when necessary. But that electric motor changes it all, making them more like a strong cyclist, in all conditions. They really are a big part of the solution to getting people out of cars.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:47 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37934
176 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: Previous: Kawasaki ZZR400

My issue with cyclists is that they are not required to hold any sort of driving license yet they still use the same road as much heavier vehicles.
No theory test, no exams, none of the very much needed skills to stay safe and not to put others in danger.
Using the road as a car/motorcycle driver/rider with a full license is challenging enough as it is. Remove the learning, the exams, the skills and there you have it.
It can't possibly work.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:56 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,701 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

Originally Posted by motoxyogi
The weather is hardly an excuse. I've only recently moved to the pale and it never rains here! It's laughable really compared to the west coast.
Yep - before I moved out of Dublin, I found that most days when commuting to/from work, that it was dry, even if it rained at some part of the day while I was in work.
I'd say if people saw a list of total wet 'commuting time' days, they'd be surprised at how low the number actually is
Old 8th March 2018, 09:02 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5294 from Dublin
264 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Honda Deauville

Originally Posted by SandR
My issue with cyclists is that they are not required to hold any sort of driving license yet they still use the same road as much heavier vehicles.
No theory test, no exams, none of the very much needed skills to stay safe and not to put others in danger.
Using the road as a car/motorcycle driver/rider with a full license is challenging enough as it is. Remove the learning, the exams, the skills and there you have it.
It can't possibly work.
+1 there needs to be some sort of training in order to use a public road.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:43 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630
3,256 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few

motorbikes are part of the solution, you can fit 4 bikes in the space of an average sized cage

if I was going to the city, (on the inside of the m50) every day, I'd have a scooter or dct bike, like an nc700
very nimble in traffic, relatively easy to maintain

however, my commute is 100kms each way and mostly on the outside of the m50 (though the m3 inbound and m50 south in the mornings is starting to piss me off) or sometimes more another part of the country, a bike would be more expensive to run.
The work v*n is my main mode of transport, and I need the v*n for work 90% of the time.

I take the bike an odd time but can only take the bike to work when I know I don't need the v*n, these days are getting rare.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:44 AM
Clubman

176 posts since Jan 2018

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWazza
...and insurance. Even low power electric push scooters are illegal on public roads. Much of the reasoning is that it is not insured therefore it can't be on the road.
Old 8th March 2018, 10:34 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 2063
1,418 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Hornet 6

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWazza
...and insurance. Even low power electric push scooters are illegal on public roads. Much of the reasoning is that it is not insured therefore it can't be on the road.

I don't whether to laugh or cry or just scratch my head in wonderment at these ideas.

Search this forum for people giving out about insurance. Even just scroll up a few posts in this thread and people are giving out about insurance for motorbikes and the cost and it being prohibitive.

And you three love insurance so much that you want more of it. More insurance. You think that this guy:

Click the image to open in full size.

should have insurance

for this

I have so many questions:

Were you ever a child? Did you have a bicycle?
Have you children????? Do they have bicycles?
and
You still think that bicycles should have insurance?
And a No Claims Bonus?

An 8 year old has gotta be high risk so what's a good figure to put your son on your bicycle policy as a named rider? - 500 euro a year??

Are you out of your fuppin minds???
Old 8th March 2018, 10:46 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 11230 from Dublin
288 posts since Jul 2008
Motorbike: ZX10R - BMW S1000R
Modifications: Lots

The top 3 head honcho's in the RSA are die hard cyclists or did none of you know this ?
Old 8th March 2018, 10:48 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,324 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

Originally Posted by bloke
I don't whether to laugh or cry or just scratch my head in wonderment at these ideas.

Search this forum for people giving out about insurance. Even just scroll up a few posts in this thread and people are giving out about insurance for motorbikes and the cost and it being prohibitive.

And you three love insurance so much that you want more of it. More insurance. You think that this guy:

should have insurance

for this

and
And a No Claims Bonus?

An 8 year old has gotta be high risk so what's a good figure to put your son on your bicycle policy as a named rider? - 500 euro a year??

Old 8th March 2018, 10:53 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,324 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

There must be qiute a few younger people who seriously toyed with the idea getting a small to mid capacity bike or scooter and then thought ( or were told by friends ) whaaaat ? are you fuggen mad ? IT WILL BE ROBBED !
Old 8th March 2018, 10:54 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 4354 from Sallins/Derry
8,734 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Rust

I think the Shane Ross could be doing more.

The learner testing now is becoming down right prohibitive and complex. WHich is probably more to do with poxy EU laws

Bus gates and bus only turns used to have signage saying motorcycles allowed, that is disappearing.
I think the Pearse St bus gate and George St/Dame St right turn are the only roads left open for us.
As for bus lanes, we all use them anyway but it would be very positive if we were allowed to use them legally. The future will bring ANPR bus lane cams. Which will ticket us with everyone else.

Cycling is booming in the city. And I would disagree with it being mostly students. I drive the 15 bus out the Rathmines direction and in rush hour and there are literally 1000s of them riding from that direction each day. Middle aged commuters.

Weather affect cycles more than motorcycles. We dress warmer and safer. And we dont need a shower after we travel. Half the offices in Dublin must smell like an armpit with all these sweaty feckers.

Without a doubt, cycling is a positive step forward, but its will not get people out of cars if they live more than 5 miles from the city centre. Most traffic coming into the city centre are people from the commuter belt places like Balbriggan or Naas directions. Bicycles or no use to them and not a solution. A motorcycle is.

More should be done to accommodate us in this new war for space. We could start by bombarding the NTA, Shane Ross, TFA , DCC, and government twitter and FB pages with questions. Like.

Why cant motorcycles use the Rosie Hackett bridge or be allowed to turn right from the quays onto Hawkins Street. Or use Collage green between 7 to 7.

We would cause zero disruption. ANd would take us away from the dangerous traffic.
Old 8th March 2018, 11:12 AM
Clubman

176 posts since Jan 2018

Originally Posted by bloke

should have insurance

for this

and
And a No Claims Bonus?

Not more insurance, just broader scope:

All public road users need to have it in case they cause trouble for others. That's the idea even now except some people are exempt and others are responsible for their actions.

No, children would not pay insurance as per the above as they do not use the same road that cars and motorcycles use.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
dublin, gridlock, motorcycles, solution