Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 7th April 2008, 01:34 AM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 5334 from castlebar
132 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: rxs100
Modifications: Removed baffles
Default pre 97 racing

i did a search but nothing turned up, just wondering is there many on here at it? is it really that cheap to get into? thanks
Old 7th April 2008, 01:58 PM
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place

Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: pre 97 racing

Originally Posted by fig roll
i did a search but nothing turned up, just wondering is there many on here at it? is it really that cheap to get into? thanks
I know nothing about it but as you woild like to get some info on it.
Cheers.
Old 7th April 2008, 03:26 PM
Knees up!

Biker.ie Member No. 7018 from Balbriggan
10,612 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: RVF 400 + SV 650
Modifications: Plenty!!

Well the entry fee is same as the other classes, your bike will be cheaper of course but ya still will need all the same gear and stuff that the guys in other classes use, protective gear and van and stuff.

Dont know how cheaper it would work out but seems to be an ideal starter class for guys who drive bigger bikes
Old 7th April 2008, 03:29 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 7947 from Switzerland
4,986 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: BMW S1000RR

Well, I just started this year myself! And I'm fooking delighted I did!

Cheap enough to get into... Got a CBR 600 for around €1,600 EUR up in Belfast (fairings were in bits but she's fast enough and she came with spares wheels - very important! - and some spare parts). Safety gear cost me €1,000 EUR (leathers, gloves, boots & helmet). Transponder cost €400 EUR which was really annoying considering it's only a tiny little red box but you need one... And tyres are €300 EUR a set...

If you can afford the above (along with the entry fees, travelling costs, the trailer, the tools etc etc) then Pre '97 racing is for you!

It's seriously fun though. It's cost me a fair bit to start this year but I have to say I don't regret it one bit!
Old 7th April 2008, 03:33 PM
Knees up!

Originally Posted by Steffano2002

Cheap enough to get into... Got a CBR 600 for around €1,600 EUR up in Belfast (fairings were in bits but she's fast enough and she came with spares wheels - very important! - and some spare parts). Safety gear cost me €1,000 EUR (leathers, gloves, boots & helmet). Transponder cost €400 EUR which was really annoying considering it's only a tiny little red box but you need one... And tyres are €300 EUR a set...

If you can afford the above (along with the entry fees, travelling costs, the trailer, the tools etc etc) then Pre '97 racing is for you!

It's seriously fun though. It's cost me a fair bit to start this year but I have to say I don't regret it one bit!

I think that says it all!!
And your second year will be twice as cheap, gettin started is the deer part
Old 7th April 2008, 03:41 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6455 from North Dublin
2,366 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: 07 600 Hornet + Tdr 125 P
Modifications: Scorpion Cans + KN Filter

Its not pre 97 but would make a good started if you wanted to go Non-qualifiers route http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=39651
Old 7th April 2008, 04:08 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2881 from Celbridge, Co. Kildare
1,042 posts since Mar 2006
Motorbike: '07 Kawasaki ZX10R & '98 ZX7R
Modifications: Wave discs, undertray, integrated break & indicato

another thing with the pre 97s is that they aren't 'too' powerful, so you won't use as many tyres per year. tyres seems to be the biggest cost of racing
Old 7th April 2008, 04:15 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2335 from Kildare
376 posts since Oct 2005

Originally Posted by ajhutch
another thing with the pre 97s is that they aren't 'too' powerful, so you won't use as many tyres per year. tyres seems to be the biggest cost of racing

You'll find that out this year on the big GSXR... the 2 day weekends.. 2 rears for sure possibly 3 rears and 2 fronts if ya get into the Mondello Masters Qualifying and Race.. Nothing like having a €750 tyre bill on top of everything else for one weekend..

John
Old 7th April 2008, 04:18 PM
Knees up!

Originally Posted by johnhig
You'll find that out this year on the big GSXR... the 2 day weekends.. 2 rears for sure possibly 3 rears and 2 fronts if ya get into the Mondello Masters Qualifying and Race.. Nothing like having a €750 tyre bill on top of everything else for one weekend..

John

Thats serious money on tyres for a weekend
Old 7th April 2008, 04:34 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6455 from North Dublin
2,366 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: 07 600 Hornet + Tdr 125 P
Modifications: Scorpion Cans + KN Filter

Originally Posted by scoops22
Thats serious money on tyres for a weekend
yes it is and thats just tyres
Old 7th April 2008, 04:50 PM
ISB Contender

376 posts since Oct 2005

Found that out the hard way a couple of years ago when I went to ISB from Clubmans... trying to run on the big track as fast as I could which was still way off the top lads (me 1:49's ).. I was using up tyres big time.. then I said a screw it last race of the weekend should really have a new set on it'll be grand sure I'm far enough back I wouldn't be pushing it... not fooken likely got a good start was running top 10 till I ended up crashing and causing about €2000 worth of damage to the bike and gear... Tyres are cheap after all... even though in the ISB for a 2 day its not cheap but really what would ya be doing with your money..

John
Old 7th April 2008, 05:35 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 3439
3,670 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: mmmm shiny shiny

Found that out the hard way a couple of years ago when I went to ISB from Clubmans... trying to run on the big track as fast as I could which was still way off the top lads (me 1:49's ).. I was using up tyres big time.. then I said a screw it last race of the weekend should really have a new set on it'll be grand sure I'm far enough back I wouldn't be pushing it... not fooken likely got a good start was running top 10 till I ended up crashing and causing about €2000 worth of damage to the bike and gear... Tyres are cheap after all... even though in the ISB for a 2 day its not cheap but really what would ya be doing with your money..

John
what kind of horses is your bike throwing out John? Looking at a GSXR 1000 this weekend so looks like I'm gonna be burning the arse off a few tyres
Old 7th April 2008, 05:50 PM
Resident Immigrant Bollix

Biker.ie Member No. 4693 from Dublin
12,617 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: VFR 400, CBR 600 FSport
Modifications: A few

Originally Posted by ajhutch
I'd say you don't go through too many front tyres though
Old 7th April 2008, 11:12 PM
Solitary Confinement
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 5334 from castlebar
132 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: rxs100
Modifications: Removed baffles

jazus the cost of the transponder is what would put you off, ha ha. not too bad, a mate went into the baby twin class this year. is there a pre 97 on the same weekends or are thy seperate?
Old 7th April 2008, 11:30 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 7905
470 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: 1981 rd250lc, lt50 pre 97cbr600 track bi

Originally Posted by Steffano2002

Hi steffan was it yourself i was having the crack with in mondello on march the 16th. I was on a blue cbr600.
Old 8th April 2008, 01:01 AM
Knees up!

jazus the cost of the transponder is what would put you off, ha ha. not too bad, a mate went into the baby twin class this year. is there a pre 97 on the same weekends or are thy seperate?
there is minitwins and pre 97 at all ISB meetings
pre97 is at all clubman meetings
minitwins are only at clubmans when its in mondello none in clubmans up north i think
Old 8th April 2008, 01:45 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,128 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

i did a search but nothing turned up, just wondering is there many on here at it?
First thing you want is a race licence, you need to join an MCUI affiliated club for this ;
http://www.motorcycling-ireland.com/clubs.htm

then have your eyes tested and get a medical form filled out and stamped by a doctor;
http://www.motorcycling-ireland.com/...lt-licence.pdf

and attend at least one safety seminar (about flags and marshals)
http://www.motorcycling-ireland.com/forms/flags.pdf

For the Pre 97 class (cheapest to get started with), any bike 600cc or less and whose engine/frame had been built before 1997 is eligible for entry (although bridgestone SS '"600cc" do allow 750cc twins and 675cc triumphs)

You need to book and pay (about 70€) for the race meeting well in advance but the general procedure is that you turn up early, 'sign on' with your race licence, then go to the 'scrutineering area' to have your bike, helmet and gear checked, then head out to practice (normally from 9am) after your class is called over the loud speaker.

Your position on the starting grid is normally determined by how fast you were during practice and recorded with the transponder. There are obviously other rules & regulations, but the racing itself normally starts around mid-day, and general idea is to go as fast as possible without falling off or hitting things then
Old 8th April 2008, 02:20 AM
Knees up!

Thats the best round up of info to startin racin ive seen!!!
Old 8th April 2008, 09:59 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2881 from Celbridge, Co. Kildare
1,042 posts since Mar 2006
Motorbike: '07 Kawasaki ZX10R & '98 ZX7R
Modifications: Wave discs, undertray, integrated break & indicato

John
ive already started to see what ya mean dude. not nice!
have a fresh rear on, but will be looking at a front after the practice day now.
i hope i can get into the high 1min 40s this weekend. havent been on the big track in ages

I'd say you don't go through too many front tyres though
im gonna try put a stop to that. at least cut it down.
Old 8th April 2008, 10:11 AM
ISB Contender

376 posts since Oct 2005

Originally Posted by jammers
what kind of horses is your bike throwing out John? Looking at a GSXR 1000 this weekend so looks like I'm gonna be burning the arse off a few tyres
I haven't done anything to mine, I put a lot of money in the suspension first.. Left the engine alone so she puts out 171 at the rear wheel.. Which to be honest is down by about 15hp + on most of the guys out there but I'm not a HP mechant I like corner speed. With a little head work they can put out 180-185hp no problems...

John

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
pre, racing