Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 24th December 2009, 06:43 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,513 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by scoops22
2 totally different race meetings, different weekends compleetly.

There are approx 10 clubman races per year and approx 10 ISB races per year, in your first year youd be racing in the clubman meetings.

Unless you get a 400 or 650, cause this class is a championship that is ran at the ISB meetings.
What kind of lap times should be aimed for to stay out of the way in the 400 and 650 class? Any idea of the pre 97 as well?
Old 24th December 2009, 09:06 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9278 from Newbridge, kildare
816 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: #72 ss600
Modifications: N/A

Originally Posted by bow leg
What kind of lap times should be aimed for to stay out of the way in the 400 and 650 class? Any idea of the pre 97 as well?
Start of the season you'd want to be doing around the 1.10's / 2.05's ish to run with the back of the pack in either group
Old 24th December 2009, 10:14 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,513 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Originally Posted by 1974rwd
Start of the season you'd want to be doing around the 1.10's / 2.05's ish to run with the back of the pack in either group
Thanks man, am trying to figure out which class to go with. Have done a shed load of trackdays in Mondello on my road bike, and the grin factor is huge. Should be ok after we get going, but anxious not to muck things for others at the begining of the year. I am thinking pre 97 at the moment.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:07 AM
Gravel trap tester. #147

Biker.ie Member No. 11955 from Dublin
3,281 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: BMW F650, xj600, CB500.
Modifications: micron race can, crash bo

Originally Posted by bow leg
Thanks man, am trying to figure out which class to go with. Have done a shed load of trackdays in Mondello on my road bike, and the grin factor is huge. Should be ok after we get going, but anxious not to muck things for others at the begining of the year. I am thinking pre 97 at the moment.
There`s plenty of lads in the pre `97s riding times that would qualify for most other races. The lap times are fairly close

The only way any of us learned anything about the sport is by asking the questions so keep lashing them up. It`s probably the friendliest sport I know. Ok on the track its slightly different but in the padock I don`t know of a sport where your competitors will help you out so much. I have never been given a short answer or looked down on, when asking questions. (I run at the back of the non/qualifiers)
Old 24th December 2009, 12:38 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes

Originally Posted by red blade
There`s plenty of lads in the pre `97s riding times that would qualify for most other races. The lap times are fairly close

The only way any of us learned anything about the sport is by asking the questions so keep lashing them up. It`s probably the friendliest sport I know. Ok on the track its slightly different but in the padock I don`t know of a sport where your competitors will help you out so much. I have never been given a short answer or looked down on, when asking questions. (I run at the back of the non/qualifiers)
Yes even on track days they are all amazing,the marshalls are brilliant too, one dragged me around for endless laps lthis year. im thinking of pre 97 too but Jay really has me thinking of the litre class. my best on a road bike is somewhere just under two mins i think( may not be very accurate ) so am wondering if i could knock a few seconds off that on a race bike
Old 24th December 2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 7947 from Switzerland
4,986 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: BMW S1000RR

Originally Posted by odd leg
Yes even on track days they are all amazing,the marshalls are brilliant too, one dragged me around for endless laps lthis year. im thinking of pre 97 too but Jay really has me thinking of the litre class. my best on a road bike is somewhere just under two mins i think( may not be very accurate ) so am wondering if i could knock a few seconds off that on a race bike
Of course you'll knock a few seconds off that! With race rubber and a proper race bike you'll shave loads of time off in no time!

And racing makes you quick anyway. When you see how fast some people pass you at first you think "alright then, I guess I can go in a lot faster here" or "I can brake much later there".

I started racing 2 years ago in the Pre'97. I'd never been on track before I bought a race bike. Was I slow? Hell yeah I was! But after a few meetings and track days I started getting faster and faster and when I stopped last year I was starting to get in the Top 5 more often (in the 701-1010cc).

My advice would be, don't think about it too much. Just choose a class first. I did both Pre'97 and 701-1010 and they're both great to start to be honest. I wouldn't recommend 701-1010 to beginners but if you know what you're doing on a 1-litre bike you'll be grand!

Then find a race/track bike with spares (I have a good old K2 Gixer and it does the job perfectly!), get all the gear, do a flag seminar and get your license then enjoy it!

Of course we were all shitting ourselves the first time we raced. I'll never forget my first race in Mondello on the start line when the red lights came on and all the bikes started revving like crazy and I thought "What the fck am I doing here? I'm going to die!". But after a couple of laps I was hooked! Never did anything in my life as exhilarating as racing motorcycles!

So don't worry being slow (we were all sh!t slow when we started), it's the responsibility of the faster riders to avoid you safely. Jump head first into the world of racing and you'll never look back!

Last edited by Steffano2002; 24th December 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 24th December 2009, 01:44 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 19366
313 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: japanese
Modifications: wheels, front and back.

Originally Posted by Steffano2002
So don't worry being slow (we were all sh!t slow when we started), it's the responsibility of the faster riders to avoid you safely. Jump head first into the world of racing and you'll never look back!
This is great advice and once you start you might just find out you are not as slow as you think you are.
Old 24th December 2009, 02:55 PM
Knees up!

Biker.ie Member No. 7018 from Balbriggan
10,612 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: RVF 400 + SV 650
Modifications: Plenty!!

"What the fck am I doing here? I'm going to die!"

Youd imagine my sentements when I stalled the bike on the line in one of my first few races, thank god there was only 1 row of lads behind me
Old 24th December 2009, 05:11 PM
hairdresser

Biker.ie Member No. 2246 from Westmeath
4,668 posts since Sep 2005
Motorbike: 600rr's , zxr4 , bandit12ish

Of course we were all shitting ourselves the first time we raced. I'll never forget my first race in Mondello on the start line when the red lights came on and all the bikes started revving like crazy and I thought "What the fck am I doing here? I'm going to die!". But after a couple of laps I was hooked! Never did anything in my life as exhilarating as racing motorcycles!
Ha ha , yeah , qualifying is just like the fast group at a trackday , when you come around dunlop and form on the grid , you have a quick look around and THEN reality kicks in , nothing like it
Old 24th December 2009, 06:05 PM
Supporter

For ages i had listened to a load of lads [email protected]><[email protected] about coming to do track days but none would actually come when the chips were down so i headed up on my ownw the lads were brilliant to advise but i remember the feeling of thinking i was going to kill myself so this time will be that doubled yeah cant wait. Think the pre 97 might be for me as i spent many track days on my trusty hornet
Old 24th December 2009, 07:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25947
12,889 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: R6mbo

Originally Posted by 1974rwd
quicker lads in pre97 gettin 1 min laps on a dry mondello
Old 24th December 2009, 07:10 PM
Supporter

For ages i had listened to a load of lads [email protected]><[email protected] about coming to do track days but none would actually come when the chips were down so i headed up on my ownw the lads were brilliant to advise but i remember the feeling of thinking i was going to kill myself so this time will be that doubled yeah cant wait. Think the pre 97 might be for me as i spent many track days on my trusty hornet
dont try race the hornet mate, it wont match the cbr's, trade in the hornet, see derek in dogsbox and ask has he or could he get anything?
Old 24th December 2009, 07:14 PM
Supporter

that must be the international circuit time mate?? it will be much less on the national for races. there isnt a hornet on the grid in pre 97 so u may be the first!!! spose its the pilot that counts but ud do better on a cbr in pre 97.
Old 24th December 2009, 07:59 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by rambo600
that must be the international circuit time mate?? it will be much less on the national for races. there isnt a hornet on the grid in pre 97 so u may be the first!!! spose its the pilot that counts but ud do better on a cbr in pre 97.
Thanks rambo. The hornet i have is a road bike and not worth changing for the track i would think. I will try for a bike in here and see if there are any. Its hard to get it all into the head but I will get there
Old 24th December 2009, 08:20 PM
Supporter

Thanks rambo. The hornet i have is a road bike and not worth changing for the track i would think. I will try for a bike in here and see if there are any. Its hard to get it all into the head but I will get there
Well we'll have great craic next season anyhow, im off for porter!

Happy Christmas to the lot of ye
Old 24th December 2009, 08:45 PM
Veteran Racer

Think the pre 97 might be for me as i spent many track days on my trusty hornet
What's your budget for the bike Odd Leg? My mate (who finished 3rd in the Pre'97 Class last season) is selling his Pre'97 CBR600 with lots of spares (spare fairings, wheels, etc and it has Brembo Master Cylinder, etc). I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

Last edited by Steffano2002; 24th December 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:53 PM
Supporter

What's your budget for the bike Odd Leg? My mate (who finished 3rd in the Pre'97 Class last season) is selling his Pre'97 CBR600 with lots of spares (spare fairings, wheels, etc and it has Brembo Master Cylinder, etc). I can put you in touch with him if you wish.
Thanks Steffano. dont have a clue how much i need to spend yet so please send me his details and i will indeed talk to him. do you have any idea ow much these bikes average out at. HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL
Old 25th December 2009, 03:10 AM
Supporter

Thanks Steffano. dont have a clue how much i need to spend yet so please send me his details and i will indeed talk to him. do you have any idea ow much these bikes average out at. HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL
1500 to 2 grand odd leg
Old 25th December 2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran Racer

I was going to send you a personal message via this forum but you don't have enough posts to use this functionality yet it seems... Do you know anybody on here personaly that I could send a personal message to? I don't want to post my friend's mobile number on a public forum...
Old 25th December 2009, 04:03 PM
Supporter

https://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1035282

https://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1058793

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
race