Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 20th September 2006, 08:45 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3770 from Meath/Antrim
1,309 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: GSX-R 600
Modifications: Arrow System, Yoshi EMS, Brakes&Suspension upgrade
Default Bike Insurance

Hey guys... Im new to this thing so give me a chance here!

Just want to say a quick thanks first to all the guys in the Waterrats MCC who were so welcoming to me on the 17th when i went to my first rally after starting biking 2 months ago- Thanks guys!

I just complain and know how people feel about insurance here.
Can anyone recommend a good crowd or is AON and Caroyl Nash the only 2?
I was quoted 2500 for my new YBR 125- Crazy!!!!!!!!!

Lucky for me i got to college in the UK so i got my insurance for 400 at the moment- i know- a joke! and here is worse- i have my test coming up and will buy a new Fz6, and was quoted "highly" on my pwn policy of 760, to include my dad as a named as he lives outside the UK and it has to be under my own policy!
Is this not mad- a 17 year old getting insurance at this price 2 hours up the road when some 40 year olds are paying more after riding 20 years.

Is there anything we can do as within the next year i leave the north and have to get irish insurance and dreading it.

Thanks
Rhys K
Old 20th September 2006, 09:23 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3468 from waterford
301 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: 08 gsx650f

carole nash woulnt quote me unless i had 2 years no claim bonus so i went with aon and done the assesment test and im gettin full license rates at the moment on my provisional, and these are the only 2 in ireland that i know of hibernian pulled out in march, best of luck to ya
Old 21st September 2006, 02:19 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 3793 from Waterford
140 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: GSR600
Modifications: 1 great big smile ear 2 ear!

Yeah they are the only two around. Unlucky bud.
The prices are crippling. I am 25 with 6 years no-claims,
driving a VT125 and still paying 750 3rd party.
Old 21st September 2006, 04:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,486 posts since Feb 2006

Just had an interesting conversation with a nice informative bloke at the Insurance Federation / regulator...place
and basically...

1.The Irish market is very small compared to any other of the European markets.
So I gather some things here...
We all must share the brunt of any claims here and because there are fewer of us, we get to share more between us.

2. Road safety is appaling here (By comparison) the roads don't help but neither do pillion claims (who are not insured BTW). and the amount of money the courts think they can give away.
I did mention that there must be little or no claims made on behalf of a rider on 3rd party in a solo accident, but the high value of claims still outweighs this.

3. prov liscences are in abundance and also hold the price up due to in-expierience etc....brought about by the long waiting lists and the inability to be able to get a full liscence.

Insurance companies do not want the buisness here, as the market v's the claims is too small for any more competition.......hence CN & AON.

Government has a lot to answer for, But I still think the Ins Co's are running a bit of a monopoly "Us or nothing" (The Ins authority did not aggree with this.)
So the next time there is an election parasite knocking at my door I can suggest that I will not vote for him / her ....but if there is something done....I will next time.
Old 21st September 2006, 05:03 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3468 from waterford
301 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: 08 gsx650f

here here here fair play pal nice bit of info there
Old 21st September 2006, 11:14 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 3242
162 posts since Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Airman
Government has a lot to answer for, But I still think the Ins Co's are running a bit of a monopoly "Us or nothing" (The Ins authority did not aggree with this.)
So the next time there is an election parasite knocking at my door I can suggest that I will not vote for him / her ....but if there is something done....I will next time.
Well it's better now than when there was only one insurance company. Also, there's that new-fangled injury assessment thingy that's supposed to keep the cost of claims down. The driver theory test is fairly recent. And the test itself has improved in recent years too.
What should the Government be doing to help? Compulsory training perhaps?
Aren't we usually giving out about the nanny state?

Pete.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, insurance

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed