Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th November 2017, 09:32 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
37 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust
Default Winter riding

So lads.....been off the bike for a week or two and now that the weather has got very cold, I'm wondering if its OK to ride the bike to work etc (m50) or will the cold upset my body reactions etc.

Also, I've fuill rst 2pc leathers......is this good for winter or will I likely need more winter focused gear?

Do many of you just cage it in the winter. I've been caged so far this week going to work (away last week and havnt picked the bike from my mam's yet) but notice the m50 is like a fuckin car park at rush hour. Evenings are gone mad on it. Plus being darker makes it hard to stand out in a sea of car lights. Do you lads think its too dodgy etc??

Cheers lads and lassies
Old 8th November 2017, 09:38 PM
mehhh

Biker.ie Member No. 35950 from Galway
326 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: RSV4, Duc 916, VFR 800
Default Re: Winter riding

It's never as bad once you're out in it. Get terminal underwear the next time Aldi/Lidls are doing it.
I ride in everyting bar storms and ice meself, and we rarely get ice down here.
Old 8th November 2017, 09:42 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36432 from Clare
137 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Yammie XJ750D
Modifications: Motad system ebc brake di

Get heated grips or cheaper option handle muffs. Get some of those Hi vis belts from Oxford. Take it handy in the mornings you don't say how much experience you have but the usual watch out for leaves there deadly. The road markings can be dodge on cold mornings and the man hole covers.

There a ton cheap winter overjockss and pants on eBay as well
Old 8th November 2017, 09:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34628
836 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: st1300
Modifications: Tax

Hey ya. Fair play to sitting in that for two weeks.
Guiney's thermal tee-shirts and long johns Or mad expensive stuff if ya want is cool too.
I have a Furry Glen jocks with good lining.
I commute the m fifty daily.and its grand.
Its not cold enough in Ireland to be effecting your reaction times unless your out for hours.
Hi viz. Flashy beep beep and tap along sham.
Old 8th November 2017, 09:44 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34628
836 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: st1300
Modifications: Tax

I got free belts and bags off rsa someone put link up here recently
Old 8th November 2017, 09:46 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
37 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

Originally Posted by Katanasteve
Get heated grips or cheaper option handle muffs. Get some of those Hi vis belts from Oxford. Take it handy in the mornings you don't say how much experience you have but the usual watch out for leaves there deadly. The road markings can be dodge on cold mornings and the man hole covers.

There a ton cheap winter overjockss and pants on eBay as well
Bout 5 months experience or approx 1500 miles. I've commuted m50 normally, just been off the road after a spill 4 weeks ago and have only ridden the odd time since. So I guess I'm trying to avoid danger, but him not scared on bike or anything. Might get the bike tonight actually. M50 is gone insane lol
Old 8th November 2017, 09:51 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36432 from Clare
137 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Yammie XJ750D
Modifications: Motad system ebc brake di

Just drive to the conditions I drove 13 yrs all weather it's only this year I decided right need an unmentionable for the bad weather.

It's great way to build your skills and awareness. Cagers are more dozy in the dark winter months so drive with that in mind. Look that bit further ahead then you would in warmer months. As said leaves can catch u out as well as road markings get slippy. Just keep smooth control with your throttle and keep the eyes open
Old 8th November 2017, 09:55 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
294 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and SV1000
Modifications: Lots n lots

If you've waterproof gear to wear over the leathers, they'll go a long way towards keeping you warm. Leather gear isn't very windproof so pop on the waterproofs on over them to keep snug. Invest in a decent neck tube (go for a windproof one) as the gap between the collar and the lid will be well exposed. Thermal gear under yer leathers will help too. Heated grips are well worth the investment and not too difficult to fit yourself.

If you do find yourself getting properly cold, pull into a petrol station to warm up. When you're cold your reaction times will increase and it's harder to concentrate. A bit of warmth and a cup of coffee will quickly sort you out.
Old 8th November 2017, 10:01 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
934 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

how far do you have to travel daily? Definitely thermal underlayers (long sleeved vest and leggings) you can get them in Aldi/Lidl when they're in or go for the posh ones (northface etc.) if you ride a bmw. These would be ok under leathers but you're better off getting textiles with thermal liners for winter. Fingers get cold so heated grips if you can otherwise good winter gloves. Thermal neck tube also great not wool but silk or other thermal material.
Steady on the brakes and keep distance. keep your lights clean and wear a sam browne reflective belt.
Old 8th November 2017, 10:02 PM
MotoGP Star

934 posts since Mar 2009

also put lip balm on to prevent the chapping with the cold draughts
Old 8th November 2017, 10:32 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,905 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

all good advice on here, follow it, most of these lads learned the hard way, only thing id add would to be to ride at your own pace,dont feel pressured to go faster than you feel is right for you in the circumstances, remember cages have four wheels and heaters, dozy cunts behind the wheel are too insulated from reality and therefore drive too fast at times, don't feel you have to keep up with them or pass them, this is mostly for side roads, main road is usually fair enough as the surface is relatively clear of leaves etc.
always check your lights before every ride, particularly rear ones and keep a check on your tyre pressures and condition, don't use worn tyres in the winter, grip levels are much lower when the tread is very low, in other words don't be sparing money by trying to get down to the canvas.
relax as much as poss, don't be too rigid especially in your arms as this affects the handling of the bike,

ok time for me to shut up, enjoy it, its a challenge but you will find its good for you skills wise and confidence wise.
Old 8th November 2017, 11:47 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,206 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

"just been off the road after a spill 4 weeks ago and have only ridden the odd time since. So I guess I'm trying to avoid danger, but him not scared on bike or anything "

Get bck into the regular routine of riding before wintering the M50 , its not the place to rehone your skills. Spend a good few hours on the weekends riding around , it'll rebuild your confidence and sharpen your skills. The M50 in the winter dark is not the place to ride if you feel uneasy
Old 9th November 2017, 12:19 AM
MotoGP Star

934 posts since Mar 2009

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs
all good advice on here, follow it, most of these lads learned the hard way, only thing id add would to be to ride at your own pace,dont feel pressured to go faster than you feel is right for you in the circumstances, remember cages have four wheels and heaters, dozy cunts behind the wheel are too insulated from reality and therefore drive too fast at times, don't feel you have to keep up with them or pass them, this is mostly for side roads, main road is usually fair enough as the surface is relatively clear of leaves etc.
always check your lights before every ride, particularly rear ones and keep a check on your tyre pressures and condition, don't use worn tyres in the winter, grip levels are much lower when the tread is very low, in other words don't be sparing money by trying to get down to the canvas.
relax as much as poss, don't be too rigid especially in your arms as this affects the handling of the bike,

ok time for me to shut up, enjoy it, its a challenge but you will find its good for you skills wise and confidence wise.

good advice there √√√
Old 9th November 2017, 12:30 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2029 from Donegal
14,987 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: TLR, FJ, XS650, TZR125
Modifications: Hatchet Holster

Watch for oil and diesel spills. Was out on the FJ a few times today and the roads are a disgrace.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:48 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,292 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

On the cager front, when it's cold, it takes longer for them to get the cage sorted - blowers up to temp, windows demisted and the like, and they virtually all do it in the move. No matter how bad their observation and general road awareness is at the best of times, it's worse in the bad weather - especially in the first couple of miles after leaving the house.

Safer to work on the basis they haven't a clue you're there on the bike and ride accordingly.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:52 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,177 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Make sure you've

1) Good gear that'll keep you dry (Rain covers etc)
2) Clean your visor - you don't need it fogging up while filtering
3) Watch out for drivers changing lane with no indicators
4) Manhole covers / diesel / Ice are not your friend
5) Ride at your own pace

MOST important - give yourself loads of time at the start. No point in rushing or putting pressure on yourself (This is when you'll make mistakes)

Also don't neglect the bike - Clean once and week, lube the chain and adjust if necessary. Get new tyres if needed.

I've been really enjoying my commute to work these days - Im in Galway and the legends are true, traffic is horrendous. Takes me 30 mins on the bike but 1 1/4 hours in the cage. Bike all the way unless snowing / hurricanes :)
Old 9th November 2017, 11:35 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,397 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

anyone else notice that when it is pissing rain, that cagers drive faster? It's almost like they think they are in a convertible and are getting pissed on, and want to get to shelter asap - the bunch of cunts
Old 9th November 2017, 11:39 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,058 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Ninjas & a Bummer
Modifications: Clean...ish

Good gear makes or breaks the commute, you'll be ok in leathers but only if you've a layer on that beats the wind chill, which is the killer.

Lots of good advice in this thread so all I'll add is the following:

Richa Rain Warrior pants, cheap and will keep you dry and warm, just make sure they fit properly so they're not flapping about.

Ideally a flexothane top (same gear the bike cops wear) I've had one of these tops for years and its never let a drop in and helps trap the heat in, I've started putting it back on now for the commute as the temps have dropped, up till now I've been ok in textiles with an inner layer.

As mentioned, heated grips are good, but heated gloves are even better.

If you really want to be toasty warm, a heated vest is the dogs bollox. Previously, I would have slagged off someone for wearing one, then Magnets gave me one for one of our runs to Spain years ago, holy good fucking Jaysus was I toasty warm at the top of the mountains surrounded by snow, happy as the proverbial pig in shite.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:55 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 16858 from dublin
220 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: R1 , GSX 1100, FZ1
Modifications: 80's kit

Great advise there, do everything above.
I don't have any other option but to ride the bike so im on the m50,n4 and city centre everyday, also just to mention the m50 is a nightmare for jamming on out of nowhere, could be doing 80kmh in traffic and its comes to a complete halt quickly. take up a good position, filter where possible and avoid those 4-wheelers trying to get you
Old 9th November 2017, 12:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,397 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

I got one of the Richa yokes to throw over my well-armoured, but no longer waterproof Alpinestar. The collar on it has material on it that stops it irritating your neck too. It really helps cut out the windchill too. All for a price that won't break the bank

http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/richa-r...luo-4572-p.asp

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
riding, winter