Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 4th December 2017, 11:37 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,735 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!
Default Re: audio in helmet

Originally Posted by shafty View Post
I've a Sena 10u built for my helmet. Now I could blare my headset and not hear anything around me but I choose to have it on low so its not too distracting.
What lid have you got the 10U in......I've got a Neotec and am thinking about the Sena kit, would you recommend it ???
Old 5th December 2017, 08:48 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,027 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by cracker boy View Post
What lid have you got the 10U in......I've got a Neotec and am thinking about the Sena kit, would you recommend it ???

Have the Sena's upgraded their stuff to be waterproof? That's the main thing why I went to Cardo as the Q3 is in fact waterproof :) Much needed for Irish weather
Old 5th December 2017, 11:27 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
305 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

I fitted the Bluetooth headset from Aldi to my Shoei lid a while back. Up until then I was never a fan of listening to music while on the bike. But I must admit I do like riding along with a few tunes playing these days. Volume is usually pretty low - similar effect to playing the radio in the background at home - so it's never invasive when I need to concentrate while filtering, eyeballing muppets etc.

I wear earplugs all the time and even with the music on, I can still hear the bike and various external sounds as well. I don't make or take calls while riding, but its dead handy to be able to make a call without removing gloves, lid etc. once you've pulled over to the side of the road.

The same headsets are available from wish.com for around 28 which is even less than the 40 I paid in Lidl. They aren't as full of features as the pricey branded ones, but for a fraction of the price they do everything that I need.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15155 from Dublin
344 posts since Mar 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Modifications: Tar

Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
"helmets with built in audio features"
But Cowboys From Hell at 11 is a different kettle of fish to Water From A Vine Leaf at 5...
Old 5th December 2017, 03:44 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
697 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SXVCRFLH2290
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Many people don't take account of the decibel levels you are exposing yourself to with helmet audio. Proper noise cancelling stuff should be ok but earplugs or speakers encourage you to crank up the volume when the helmet or wind noise gets too loud to hear the audio any more. That can result in at least temporary if not permanent noise induced hearing loss. Why do so many lads wear foam earplugs under the lid? Noise cancelling in a helmet is a bit dodgy too as it can really isolate you from your surroundings.
Old 5th December 2017, 03:55 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,137 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

just out of interest, anyone use Bluetooth earbuds inside and if so which ones?
Old 5th December 2017, 05:55 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35699 from Galway
12 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX650F
Modifications: bungees

use these if i want to listen to music/GPS/radio. though to be honest i use them a lot less than i thought i would. With the helmet on and a good road i rarely want music.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Orange-Plugfo...0AAOxyWt5SXXKi
Old 5th December 2017, 06:08 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
1,912 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Bike time is my time
Lmao
She's no choice
Old 5th December 2017, 10:40 PM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur's Avatar
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
574 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/viper-rs...in-matt-black/

i was window shopping for a new lid and i saw this. thats why i asked.

dont think i could use it i personally think it would distract me too much
Old 6th December 2017, 01:24 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36671 from Limerick
239 posts since Oct 2016
Motorbike: GSXR-600

Originally Posted by PADDYOT View Post
Holy shit, never thought I'd actually type this but yeah, I agree with gg.

Me too.
He's a wise ol' bastard reaĺly.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:24 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 34990 from South Dublin
356 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: 2006 ZX10R

To each their own.

I've seen the same discussion many times, as far back as my teen years when people would argue about listening to music while skiing. Some people can't stand the thought of having music distracting them. They obviously shouldn't be listening to it. Others enjoy it in the background, just as they do in a cage. Can't see any issue with that. As long as it isn't so loud you can't hear horns or emergency vehicles (what else do you really expect to hear over the engine and wind noise) I can't see why it would be an issue.

The biggest issue is always letting the music and important sounds in, while keeping the noise level below where you're going to get tinnitus. Some use speakers and earplugs, some have earplugs with speakers inside them.

Everyone has to make up their own mind. There are people who will tell you music is distracting and dangerous. Others will tell you not having music to flight boredom on long routes is distracting and dangerous. Some guys commute daily through traffic, some do long trips, some only weekend blasts. As with most things one size does not fit all.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:30 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37725
54 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: Zontes s250
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by cracker boy View Post
Its a sena 10u Pad for a HJC IS17. They are handy and sleak but are a little bit frustrating to get to work, they only have three buttons and different length key presses do different things but once you figure it out its ok.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,169 posts since Dec 2011

My view is not that music is distracting or that the mind can't function while listening to music or the radio. It's just that we are been bombarded from early morning till late evening with media....like I'm in my mother's sitting in her kitchen now and she has the news on the telly.....now Collette Fitzpatrick is easy on the eye,but I couldn't give a bollox about what city Trump thinks the capital of Israel is...before I was here one of the lads was listening to some pox doctor on the radio talking pure slurry. In work one of the other lads had a radio blaring crap out of it since 8 am....and in the van on the way to work this morn the same lad as this eve was listening to the crap that is i radio...the modern answer to Atlantic 252....just with i radio the listeners have a greater input into the crap that read out on air.

I like the solitude of the bike....the silence.....the absolute fucking peace I get. Just an engine and the wind making noise, the mind gets a chance to catch up and wind down. It's healthy in my view to be bored from time to time.......a mind that constantly been bombarded by the pure shite that's been broadcast on a daily basis will never be creative. A mind needs to be bored from time to time to help think things through. But as was already said...each to their own!
Old 6th December 2017, 08:03 PM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur's Avatar
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
574 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750

Originally Posted by green grass
My view is not that music is distracting or that the mind can't function while listening to music or the radio. It's just that we are been bombarded from early morning till late evening with media....like I'm in my mother's sitting in her kitchen now and she has the news on the telly.....now Collette Fitzpatrick is easy on the eye,but I couldn't give a bollox about what city Trump thinks the capital of Israel is...before I was here one of the lads was listening to some pox doctor on the radio talking pure slurry. In work one of the other lads had a radio blaring crap out of it since 8 am....and in the van on the way to work this morn the same lad as this eve was listening to the crap that is i radio...the modern answer to Atlantic 252....just with i radio the listeners have a greater input into the crap that read out on air.

I like the solitude of the bike....the silence.....the absolute fucking peace I get. Just an engine and the wind making noise, the mind gets a chance to catch up and wind down. It's healthy in my view to be bored from time to time.......a mind that constantly been bombarded by the pure shite that's been broadcast on a daily basis will never be creative. A mind needs to be bored from time to time to help think things through. But as was already said...each to their own!
very well said. when i was using the bike to commute i was driving the same roads day in day out. i did consider getting headphones and listening to music. for me personally i listen to allot of music. it helps me calm my brain.
so if i was to go back commuting on the bike i would probably go down the route of headphones.

on the other side of the coin when its taking the bike out for just the fun of riding it then i actually prefer the quietness in my helmet.

ideally 2 bikes would be great one for each use but the budget wont allow that
Old 7th December 2017, 06:24 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37738 from Cork
38 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: CX 500 custom

I used my new Bluetooth helmet for d 1st time today and using it for listing to d playlist on phone was crackin crystal clear and no interference with traffic noise at all twas great huge difference to normal journey
Old 7th December 2017, 08:48 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
2,056 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Who needs the distraction when their enjoying a good spin, and if i feel the need to hear a toon i just start singing to meself...usually something like "i should be so lucky" or "you raise me up"
Old 7th December 2017, 08:58 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 10688 from Cork
800 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: Fazer 1000, 600 & Serow

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
The best music you'll ever hear is the sound of an engine red lining.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:03 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
177 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by The comb over kid View Post
Who needs the distraction when their enjoying a good spin, and if i feel the need to hear a toon i just start singing to meself...usually something like "i should be so lucky" or "you raise me up"
Here's hoping ya aren't overcome by the need for a distraction too often, not so sure that is a luxury we can truely afford. So anyways, long time no hear - welcome back baldy.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:49 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 24681 from munster
464 posts since Nov 2010
Motorbike: zx7. K3 gsxr1000
Modifications: busted chainguard.valium.

I couldn't listen to music on the bike.or even wear earplugs.don't care if I'm deaf when I'm older.at least I'll be around.plus I'm sure they will have a magic hearing aid by then.I do sing in my lid tho. (Probably more dangerous to passers by)
Old 9th December 2017, 07:52 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
988 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by green grass View Post

Well said there, I share your opinion. I do however wear earplug protectors after getting what I can only describe as a similar ringing in the ears to that after a nightclub due I think primarily to prolonged wind noise on a trip from Southampton to Fishguard. I use an empty "Complimints" sweet tin to store them in me pocket off the bike and keep them clane.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
audio, helmet