Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 3rd February 2019, 01:15 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36436 from Exotic Meath
158 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Hornet 600
Modifications: A mixture of muck n shite
Default Progressive Springs VS Linear Springs

The front end of the Hornet needs an upgrade. Shes just not cutting anymore. She gets use on road and plenty of track time and in both cases shes been found a little bit wanting.

Comfort on the road is poor enough although to be fair the roads have a lot to answer for there and on the track shes nose diving a bit much under heavy braking and leaving me a bit squirmy before I tip it into the corner.

A fork rebuild is on the cards but other than fresh oil, new seals and new springs is there anything else i can do?

Looking into new springs it would seem progressive are better for the road and linear more suited to the track. Any opinions welcome on either type. I'm leaning towards progressive because it is an all rounder bike.

Also looked into changing out the front end completely. Sourced a 954 front end but i think if i was going to that much expense and trouble it would want to be for a bike a bit fancier than my scratched and dented auld hornet.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,264 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!
Default Re: Progressive Springs VS Linear Springs

Correct spring for you weight will make a massive difference and well worth it. If its only a road bike, then going with a fancier front end is just for looks.

I went with linier because I wanted the same feel throughout the length of travel and I guess this is why it might be preferred on track. It is about individual feel though so try think about what you prefer when experiencing bumps through corners. On the road, progressive might be better as the roads a rough as a bears arse here.

You don't say what year hornet so I don't know if they are USD or RWU??

If RWU, there are intiminators or fork vales available if you really want to start tweaking but I found it hard to tell when I fitted them.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-g...ork-valve-kit/

Overall, the spring makes the biggest difference and well worth the money
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:02 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,706 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..

I used to frequent some of the US based forums when I had the Hardly-Ablesons. Almost the first mod most of the owners there did was to fit Progressive front springs, and then wax lyrical about the improved feel and handling.

Some of the older hands maintained that a lot of it was hype, and there was bugger all difference in the springing - certainly not that most of the road-riders would notice. Their view was that the vast majority of the improvements reported were down to changing the old oil, and filling the forks to the proper level. Might be a cheap thing to test.
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:17 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,286 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by -alan-
I used to frequent some of the US based forums when I had the Hardly-Ablesons. Almost the first mod most of the owners there did was to fit Progressive front springs, and then wax lyrical about the improved feel and handling.

Some of the older hands maintained that a lot of it was hype, and there was bugger all difference in the springing - certainly not that most of the road-riders would notice. Their view was that the vast majority of the improvements reported were down to changing the old oil, and filling the forks to the proper level. Might be a cheap thing to test.
Confirmation bias... Because they've spent money, it must be better, and the more money they spend, the better it must be (obviously), even if it's actually shit. It's also known as BMW syndrome.
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:47 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,164 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Confirmation bias... Because they've spent money, it must be better, and the more money they spend, the better it must be (obviously), even if it's actually shit. It's also known as BMW syndrome.
Or ifone syndrome
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:52 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,286 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by SoulX
Or ifone syndrome
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:31 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

158 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by CodeJACK
Correct spring for you weight will make a massive difference and well worth it. If its only a road bike, then going with a fancier front end is just for looks.

I went with linier because I wanted the same feel throughout the length of travel and I guess this is why it might be preferred on track. It is about individual feel though so try think about what you prefer when experiencing bumps through corners. On the road, progressive might be better as the roads a rough as a bears arse here.

You don't say what year hornet so I don't know if they are USD or RWU??

If RWU, there are intiminators or fork vales available if you really want to start tweaking but I found it hard to tell when I fitted them.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-g...ork-valve-kit/

Overall, the spring makes the biggest difference and well worth the money
The front end was from a 954 blade. Wasnt after it for the looks, just know it would be a far superior suspension and wondered would it be worth while putting it in. Financially it would just be stupid but also one of those things that could be an awful lot of fun.

Have to say i am intrigued by the linear springs and having read a bit, linear springs plus new valves or emulators are meant to be a great combo for both comfort and performance.

For now I'll just look into new springs
Old 8th February 2019, 04:59 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,467 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

front end from a 954 is a good bit of kit but it can be expensive to rebuild if the last owner wasn't marvellous at looking after them, proper oil etc. why not go over to Stephen in NDM, tell him what you have etc see what he says?
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:44 PM
Supporter

158 posts since Jul 2016

Just wanted to update this. Went for wilbers progressive springs in the end. Followed their instructions regarding oil spec and air gap and putbthe forks back together with new seals.

The difference is incredible. Comfort and handling improved straight away. First inch or two of travel in the forks is soft, those initial few inches eat up the bumps on the road and make bends with shitty surfaces much easier to take. I can ride the bike faster now overall. Better in the corners, better braking and me much happier, confident and more comfortable.

Money well spent
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:10 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,264 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

Originally Posted by Beard-Face
Just wanted to update this. Went for wilbers progressive springs in the end. Followed their instructions regarding oil spec and air gap and putbthe forks back together with new seals.

The difference is incredible. Comfort and handling improved straight away. First inch or two of travel in the forks is soft, those initial few inches eat up the bumps on the road and make bends with shitty surfaces much easier to take. I can ride the bike faster now overall. Better in the corners, better braking and me much happier, confident and more comfortable.

Money well spent
Glad it worked out. I'll bet you start noticing how shite the shock is and start looking for upgrades to it next... it never ends
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:15 PM
Supporter

158 posts since Jul 2016

Originally Posted by CodeJACK
Glad it worked out. I'll bet you start noticing how shite the shock is and start looking for upgrades to it next... it never ends

I actually replaced the rear shock with a basic wilbers one 2 or 3 years ago. The original showa one was completely fucked to the point of the bike bottoming out at times. Of course new rear shock and original front springs was an imbalance but i was biding my time til i had the money to upgrade. Amd now im very glad that i did

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
linear, progressive, springs