Old 2nd May 2019, 09:10 AM #1
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none
MotoGP Legend

Rides: fz1, 34-26-35
Mods: none
RSA RTE Radio

Was listening to an interview with RSA on morning Ireland this morning in the run up to May week end. Whilst some of their early interview points may have a certain validity, I was shocked to hear them portray bikers as a shower if beer swilling speed merchants. Nothing at all really about raising the awareness of other road users towards m/c's and cyclists and the jidsy brigade. Interview was very one sided in it's content and message and got worse as the lady got more comfortable bashing the bikers. I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
faz1 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:15 AM #2
Supporter

Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!
Supporter

Rides: Zimmerframe.
Mods: Ur kiddin' right.!
Re: RSA RTE Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz1 View Post
Was listening to an interview with RSA on morning Ireland this morning in the run up to May week end. Whilst some of their early interview points may have a certain validity, I was shocked to hear them portray bikers as a shower if beer swilling speed merchants. Nothing at all really about raising the awareness of other road users towards m/c's and cyclists and the jidsy brigade. Interview was very one sided in it's content and message and got worse as the lady got more comfortable bashing the bikers. I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
..typical and sort of gives cage drivers more excuses to ignore bikers.
SUGS is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:35 AM #3
Supporter

Motorbike: Sprint GT
Modifications: Tax
Supporter

Rides: Sprint GT
Mods: Tax

Maybe if the RSA could concentrate on all the car drivers texting, bookfaceing etc... whilst they are driving it would be helpful. I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides but i know plenty who use mobile phone whilst driving.
blk150 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:06 AM #4
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Veteran Racer

Rides: RR4 Blade
Mods: Arrow can, pc3.

Crime call the other night the guards were on warning of the dangers to bikers and in fairness pointed out that other motorists need to be aware of motorcyclists.

That Sharon Ni Bhealan one then started on calling bikers "Weekend Warriors".
I have a serious issue with this term That likens us to soldiers going into battle expecting to die...
It's not a technical term is an opinion that should be outlawed in media.

Moya Murdock head of the RSA also uses this derogatory term...

Last edited by johnny b; 2nd May 2019 at 10:07 AM.
johnny b is online now   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:11 AM #5
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare
MotoGP Star

Rides: dublin bus
Mods: standard adult fare
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk150 View Post
Maybe if the RSA could concentrate on all the car drivers texting, bookfaceing etc... whilst they are driving it would be helpful. I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides but i know plenty who use mobile phone whilst driving.
Maybe bikers need to start slating rsa officials and those who promote them.
me2 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:26 AM #6
Clubman

Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein
Clubman

Rides: GSX250R
Mods: Nein

I can see where the term weekend warriors comes from, I didn't watch crimecall but when most people say it they mean bikers who only go out for a spin on a Sunday etc. It's not just used for motorbikes but a lot of things. I think what they are getting at with bikes is that the problem is the guy who rides a bike once or twice a week and when he does he thinks he is the shit and bins it on the first corner.
seano is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:08 PM #7
Wobbling Fledgling

Motorbike: R1, 916,1098
Wobbling Fledgling

Rides: R1, 916,1098

it just goes to show that any survey can be used and abused to take the information that suits your agenda.
hrcbob is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:32 PM #8
Clubman

Motorbike: Speed Triple RS
Modifications: Electric Windows
Clubman

Rides: Speed Triple RS
Mods: Electric Windows

Didn't listen, but anyone who has a complaint about one sidedness or misrepresentation could go here: https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/
GoTilUBlow is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:51 PM #9
Supporter

Motorbike: VeFFFRRRvtech
Modifications: Vtech always on
Supporter

Rides: VeFFFRRRvtech
Mods: Vtech always on

here is the link to the RTE show
https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21548872_48_02-05-2019_

then follow up on the BAI site to complain if you're inclined
Jlyis is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:16 PM #10
Broke racer.

Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rid
Broke racer.

Rides: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400
Mods: Shit loads for a shit rid

Quote:
I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk150 View Post
I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides
I don't know many that don't.
PJ is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:06 PM #11
Biker.ie old-skool

Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Biker.ie old-skool

Rides: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Mods: White Wall tyre

They can say what they like about us,noone calls them out.
If they had a go at cyclists,they'd have all the hippy green party types howling.
Same for truckers,farmers whatever.
Who's fighting for us?(don't say mag ffs,they're useless)
SoulX is online now   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:09 PM #12
Supporter

Motorbike: KTM, Triumph
Supporter

Rides: KTM, Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I don't know many that don't.
I have to say I know plenty too and they're not spring chickens either.

Although when it comes to the stats I'd be interested to know how many are scummers who are pissed/off their heads on bikes stolen or otherwise with no gear or just a shitbox poorly sized helmet that is worn only to hide their identity.

Last edited by bandit0; 2nd May 2019 at 03:13 PM.
bandit0 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:21 PM #13
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Veteran Racer

Rides: RR4 Blade
Mods: Arrow can, pc3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano View Post
I can see where the term weekend warriors comes from, I didn't watch crimecall but when most people say it they mean bikers who only go out for a spin on a Sunday etc. It's not just used for motorbikes but a lot of things. I think what they are getting at with bikes is that the problem is the guy who rides a bike once or twice a week and when he does he thinks he is the shit and bins it on the first corner.
I don't agree with this.
We are all bikers no mater how much you get on the bike.
I just think it's a dangerous term for the head of the RSA to use.
Do you think they would get away with calling all cyclists mamils?
In my eyes it's a derogatory term just like boy racer, I've seen plenty of car enthusiasts well over 40 in diesel shitboxes that drive irrisponsably and aggresivly.
The problem is that any biker is being painted with this weekend warrior brush from the powers that be and its irrisponsable.
johnny b is online now   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:24 PM #14
ISB Contender

Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400
ISB Contender

Rides: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

Quote:
I heard and found nothing anti-biker in it. Moya Murdock did say that bikers are over represented in road deaths being only 2% of the motoring public. She also said that most bikers are very safe motorists and called on other road users to be aware of the increase of bikes over the summer months.
On the alcohol related stats, there's very little to argue against. The only thing I would say here is that it was legally ok to drink a little and drive / ride etc. until recent times but not anymore. I'd be interested to see the up to date stats since the drink driving laws changed.
You can be sure that the boys in blue will be vigilant at the weekend after that piece though ! Stay safe.
vroombandit is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:10 PM #15
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights
MotoGP Legend

Rides: Honda NT700 Deauville
Mods: Some 90s disco lights

Here's more of it.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...nt-921569.html

They were on the six one news also.
Dirtyshirt is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:39 PM #16
Solitary Confinement

Motorbike: Katana
Solitary Confinement

Rides: Katana

The RSA are a disgrace to humanity, dead bikers, slow down, its families that matter, mind yer own Fu****g business and do something useful and stop wasting tax payers money.

Whats your stance on local councils using loose gravel as resurfacing material = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on cheese grater road barriers which rip bikers arms and legs off = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on loose gravel at every junction a biker meets = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on non slip manhole covers in the middle of bends and roundabouts = nothing to do with us (they said)

Do something useful you useless useless shower of cretins
VJMC is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:46 PM #17
MotoGP Star

MotoGP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroombandit View Post
I heard and found nothing anti-biker in it. Moya Murdock did say that bikers are over represented in road deaths being only 2% of the motoring public. She also said that most bikers are very safe motorists and called on other road users to be aware of the increase of bikes over the summer months.
On the alcohol related stats, there's very little to argue against. The only thing I would say here is that it was legally ok to drink a little and drive / ride etc. until recent times but not anymore. I'd be interested to see the up to date stats since the drink driving laws changed.
You can be sure that the boys in blue will be vigilant at the weekend after that piece though ! Stay safe.
Agreed.

Skerries or Laragh on a summer weekend afternoon? How many of those guys have not had a drink?

"Weekend Warriors"? Offended? Ride more. Or airsoft more or fish more. A weekend warrior is a guy who does his thing only occasionally. Being a weekend warrior doesn't mean you're not a biker. It means the level at which you ride might not be as high as a guy who rides regularly. A weekend warrior needs to recognise and accept that for themself, and ride accordingly till their level is back to its best. Simple.

Same thing for fair-weather riders. RiDE magazine et al do a "Get Back Out There!" article every spring for guys who don't ride year-round. Why?

Not really a lot in that radio interview that I'd regard as anti-biker.
Phaedrus is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:22 PM #18
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none
MotoGP Legend

Rides: fz1, 34-26-35
Mods: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Agreed.

Skerries or Laragh on a summer weekend afternoon? How many of those guys have not had a drink?

"Weekend Warriors"? Offended? Ride more. Or airsoft more or fish more. A weekend warrior is a guy who does his thing only occasionally. Being a weekend warrior doesn't mean you're not a biker. It means the level at which you ride might not be as high as a guy who rides regularly. A weekend warrior needs to recognise and accept that for themself, and ride accordingly till their level is back to its best. Simple.

Same thing for fair-weather riders. RiDE magazine et al do a "Get Back Out There!" article every spring for guys who don't ride year-round. Why?

Not really a lot in that radio interview that I'd regard as anti-biker.
You are entitled to hold the view that you feel there are many bikers out there taking a drink and then riding. The view that I hold is quiet the opposite to that - as I have already eluded to; I don't know any biker (and I've known a few over the years) that would now risk taking a drink and then riding the bike in this climate of drink driving awareness, maybe 25 years ago for sure. Perhaps this Skerries or Laragh place you mention is different from the rest of the country, I've never been there apart from Skerries racing week end. I just think that it is disingenuous to bikers in general for the RSA to go on National radio and articulate this and suggest that there are substantial incidences of biker drink driving. I don't know where they are getting the statistics on it regarding alcohol levels as we all know what happened with the Garda published statistics (and if you don't, read this https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ests-1.3206620 ).
If they are basing it on toxi results statistics then say so and stop relying on conjecture.

As regards the overall biker safety argument, the radio interview did not in my opinion push home the point of the Sunday cage driver, the phone texter, the cage drink driver etc., cage driver spatial awareness of m/cs and cyclists, remember the "Think Once, Think Twice, Think Bike advert?
Anti biker? maybe not, blaming all bike related accidents and incidents on the biker fraternity, well yes, in the interview I was listening to in any case.
faz1 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:03 PM #19
Supporter

Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few
Supporter

Rides: Tiger 1050 Sport
Mods: a few

on today fm, matt cooper show this evening, michael sheridan gave a more balanced view
thecrutch is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:19 PM #20
WSB Contender

Motorbike: GSXR-1000 L9
Modifications: Yoshi Afterburner
WSB Contender

Rides: GSXR-1000 L9
Mods: Yoshi Afterburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJMC View Post
The RSA are a disgrace to humanity, dead bikers, slow down, its families that matter, mind yer own Fu****g business and do something useful and stop wasting tax payers money.

Whats your stance on local councils using loose gravel as resurfacing material = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on cheese grater road barriers which rip bikers arms and legs off = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on loose gravel at every junction a biker meets = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on non slip manhole covers in the middle of bends and roundabouts = nothing to do with us (they said)

Do something useful you useless useless shower of cretins
Exactly what a loada boll*cks. All over the online news sources today and also saw it on six one news telling bikers be more aware and slow down when in fact its other road users and road conditions in a lot cases that is the contributing factor to biker RTA's....

Had a garda on the six one news holdng a sign "Ease of the throttle" ffs....

Last edited by stevewr1; 2nd May 2019 at 10:20 PM.
stevewr1 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:49 PM #21
ISB Contender

Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400
ISB Contender

Rides: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

In the interview, she refers to 25% of fatalities having a level of alcohol involved. I’d like to know how much alcohol & what time those stats are from, before the last change in drink driving laws,maybe. It doesn’t really matter coz those guys are sadly gone. She did say that cage drivers needed to be spatially aware of bikers so some positives there.
vroombandit is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:02 PM #22
Solitary Confinement

Motorbike: Katana
Solitary Confinement

Rides: Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroombandit View Post
In the interview, she refers to 25% of fatalities having a level of alcohol involved. I’d like to know how much alcohol & what time those stats are from, before the last change in drink driving laws,maybe. It doesn’t really matter coz those guys are sadly gone. She did say that cage drivers needed to be spatially aware of bikers so some positives there.
If we do the maths 25% of four dead bikers = 1 biker, so out of 4 and a half million people 1 person had a level of drink involved (and the fatality probably wasn't his/her fault, other factors such as road condition etc....) well lets ban everyone then ha ha ha such shite, you cant make these lies up lads, pure bollox RSA = ARSE, Just Fu** off and leave the boys to it
VJMC is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:06 PM #23
<< SAVAGE LID

Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959
<< SAVAGE LID

Rides: 2 Suzi's
Mods: Sticker and Iba 35959

Lad on today fm with matt cooper was great
A motoring journalist who happened to be a biker
He set matt cooper strait
Was very good
iano is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:08 PM #24
CyberSuicide

Motorbike: ltd1000 zx12
Modifications: just me
CyberSuicide

Rides: ltd1000 zx12
Mods: just me

Look its the usual summer is coming shite...stats are a load of bollocks and uncorrect,they need to seperate the actual causes of rta's from realated i mean if i have a 2 beers and some scummer in a stolen motor cleans me of the footpath that classed as a drink realated accident..same with speed,if i drive out in front of a 40 ton motor and he happens to be doing 35 kms in a 30 its speed realated,stats are airy fairy they need to be seperated propperly to see the real picture..bet then the 2% would look fairly safe
kad is offline   ReplyReply
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:16 PM #25
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fe650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Veteran Racer

Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fe650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny b View Post
Crime call the other night the guards were on warning of the dangers to bikers and in fairness pointed out that other motorists need to be aware of motorcyclists.

I have a serious issue with this term That likens us to soldiers going into battle expecting to die...

When I heard her say that I realised she really is a dumb blonde
DavyH is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:28 AM #26
Supporter

Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!
Supporter

Rides: Zimmerframe.
Mods: Ur kiddin' right.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny b View Post

..this suits their agenda ... they want m/bikes off the roads. Funny how we never ever see stats on accidents caused by the disgraceful condition of our roads from layout, to surfacing, to actual signage and road markings.
SUGS is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:51 AM #27
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: HRC Blade
Modifications: None yet
MotoGP Star

Rides: HRC Blade
Mods: None yet

As in all walks of life, its the few that give the rest a bad name....
DMG is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:33 AM #28
ISB Contender

Motorbike: ZXR400 SP, VFR 800, V50
Modifications: Blue Flame exhaust
ISB Contender

Rides: ZXR400 SP, VFR 800, V50
Mods: Blue Flame exhaust

you can prove anything you want with statistics.........especially a misinformed opinion

right i'm off for a lash of pints and must speed home afterwards
shanec is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:05 AM #29
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare
MotoGP Star

Rides: dublin bus
Mods: standard adult fare

How do they get their stats on toxicology in relation to RTA's when hospitals outright deny they are routinely done?
me2 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:19 AM #30
ISB Contender

Motorbike: Honda cbr 400
ISB Contender

Rides: Honda cbr 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
How do they get their stats on toxicology in relation to RTA's when hospitals outright deny they are routinely done?
they might be done at side of road, ive seen a lad get breathalysed while waiting to be cut from yoke
paudy is offline   ReplyReply

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
radio, rsa, rte