Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 2nd May 2019, 09:10 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
1,619 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none
Default RSA RTE Radio

Was listening to an interview with RSA on morning Ireland this morning in the run up to May week end. Whilst some of their early interview points may have a certain validity, I was shocked to hear them portray bikers as a shower if beer swilling speed merchants. Nothing at all really about raising the awareness of other road users towards m/c's and cyclists and the jidsy brigade. Interview was very one sided in it's content and message and got worse as the lady got more comfortable bashing the bikers. I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:15 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,617 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!
Default Re: RSA RTE Radio

Originally Posted by faz1
Was listening to an interview with RSA on morning Ireland this morning in the run up to May week end. Whilst some of their early interview points may have a certain validity, I was shocked to hear them portray bikers as a shower if beer swilling speed merchants. Nothing at all really about raising the awareness of other road users towards m/c's and cyclists and the jidsy brigade. Interview was very one sided in it's content and message and got worse as the lady got more comfortable bashing the bikers. I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
..typical and sort of gives cage drivers more excuses to ignore bikers.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:35 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3989
2,230 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: Sprint GT
Modifications: Tax

Maybe if the RSA could concentrate on all the car drivers texting, bookfaceing etc... whilst they are driving it would be helpful. I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides but i know plenty who use mobile phone whilst driving.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,804 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Crime call the other night the guards were on warning of the dangers to bikers and in fairness pointed out that other motorists need to be aware of motorcyclists.

That Sharon Ni Bhealan one then started on calling bikers "Weekend Warriors".
I have a serious issue with this term That likens us to soldiers going into battle expecting to die...
It's not a technical term is an opinion that should be outlawed in media.

Moya Murdock head of the RSA also uses this derogatory term...

Last edited by johnny b; 2nd May 2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:11 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
700 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by blk150
Maybe if the RSA could concentrate on all the car drivers texting, bookfaceing etc... whilst they are driving it would be helpful. I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides but i know plenty who use mobile phone whilst driving.
Maybe bikers need to start slating rsa officials and those who promote them.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:26 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
136 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein

I can see where the term weekend warriors comes from, I didn't watch crimecall but when most people say it they mean bikers who only go out for a spin on a Sunday etc. It's not just used for motorbikes but a lot of things. I think what they are getting at with bikes is that the problem is the guy who rides a bike once or twice a week and when he does he thinks he is the shit and bins it on the first corner.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:08 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 34149 from Carla lad
23 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: R1, 916,1098

it just goes to show that any survey can be used and abused to take the information that suits your agenda.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:32 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 33479 from The Mossy Fen
233 posts since Jul 2014
Motorbike: Speed Triple RS
Modifications: Electric Windows

Didn't listen, but anyone who has a complaint about one sidedness or misrepresentation could go here: https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:51 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29365 from Dublin
338 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: CeeBee9hunderd
Modifications: Straight, outa the box!

here is the link to the RTE show
https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21548872_48_02-05-2019_

then follow up on the BAI site to complain if you're inclined
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:16 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,427 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

I was quite frankly shocked as I don't know any biker in this day and age that would chance taking a drink and get on the bike.
Originally Posted by blk150
I literally don't know a single biker who drinks and rides
I don't know many that don't.
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:06 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,211 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

They can say what they like about us,noone calls them out.
If they had a go at cyclists,they'd have all the hippy green party types howling.
Same for truckers,farmers whatever.
Who's fighting for us?(don't say mag ffs,they're useless)
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 13490
1,522 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: KTM, Triumph

Originally Posted by PJ
I don't know many that don't.
I have to say I know plenty too and they're not spring chickens either.

Although when it comes to the stats I'd be interested to know how many are scummers who are pissed/off their heads on bikes stolen or otherwise with no gear or just a shitbox poorly sized helmet that is worn only to hide their identity.

Last edited by bandit0; 2nd May 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,804 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Originally Posted by seano
I can see where the term weekend warriors comes from, I didn't watch crimecall but when most people say it they mean bikers who only go out for a spin on a Sunday etc. It's not just used for motorbikes but a lot of things. I think what they are getting at with bikes is that the problem is the guy who rides a bike once or twice a week and when he does he thinks he is the shit and bins it on the first corner.
I don't agree with this.
We are all bikers no mater how much you get on the bike.
I just think it's a dangerous term for the head of the RSA to use.
Do you think they would get away with calling all cyclists mamils?
In my eyes it's a derogatory term just like boy racer, I've seen plenty of car enthusiasts well over 40 in diesel shitboxes that drive irrisponsably and aggresivly.
The problem is that any biker is being painted with this weekend warrior brush from the powers that be and its irrisponsable.
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:24 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2020 from Mayo
441 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

I heard and found nothing anti-biker in it. Moya Murdock did say that bikers are over represented in road deaths being only 2% of the motoring public. She also said that most bikers are very safe motorists and called on other road users to be aware of the increase of bikes over the summer months.
On the alcohol related stats, there's very little to argue against. The only thing I would say here is that it was legally ok to drink a little and drive / ride etc. until recent times but not anymore. I'd be interested to see the up to date stats since the drink driving laws changed.
You can be sure that the boys in blue will be vigilant at the weekend after that piece though ! Stay safe.
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:10 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,384 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights

Here's more of it.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...nt-921569.html

They were on the six one news also.
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:39 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,482 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

The RSA are a disgrace to humanity, dead bikers, slow down, its families that matter, mind yer own Fu****g business and do something useful and stop wasting tax payers money.

Whats your stance on local councils using loose gravel as resurfacing material = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on cheese grater road barriers which rip bikers arms and legs off = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on loose gravel at every junction a biker meets = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on non slip manhole covers in the middle of bends and roundabouts = nothing to do with us (they said)

Do something useful you useless useless shower of cretins
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:46 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
927 posts since Apr 2008

Originally Posted by vroombandit
I heard and found nothing anti-biker in it. Moya Murdock did say that bikers are over represented in road deaths being only 2% of the motoring public. She also said that most bikers are very safe motorists and called on other road users to be aware of the increase of bikes over the summer months.
On the alcohol related stats, there's very little to argue against. The only thing I would say here is that it was legally ok to drink a little and drive / ride etc. until recent times but not anymore. I'd be interested to see the up to date stats since the drink driving laws changed.
You can be sure that the boys in blue will be vigilant at the weekend after that piece though ! Stay safe.
Agreed.

Skerries or Laragh on a summer weekend afternoon? How many of those guys have not had a drink?

"Weekend Warriors"? Offended? Ride more. Or airsoft more or fish more. A weekend warrior is a guy who does his thing only occasionally. Being a weekend warrior doesn't mean you're not a biker. It means the level at which you ride might not be as high as a guy who rides regularly. A weekend warrior needs to recognise and accept that for themself, and ride accordingly till their level is back to its best. Simple.

Same thing for fair-weather riders. RiDE magazine et al do a "Get Back Out There!" article every spring for guys who don't ride year-round. Why?

Not really a lot in that radio interview that I'd regard as anti-biker.
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:22 PM
MotoGP Legend
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
1,619 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Agreed.

Skerries or Laragh on a summer weekend afternoon? How many of those guys have not had a drink?

"Weekend Warriors"? Offended? Ride more. Or airsoft more or fish more. A weekend warrior is a guy who does his thing only occasionally. Being a weekend warrior doesn't mean you're not a biker. It means the level at which you ride might not be as high as a guy who rides regularly. A weekend warrior needs to recognise and accept that for themself, and ride accordingly till their level is back to its best. Simple.

Same thing for fair-weather riders. RiDE magazine et al do a "Get Back Out There!" article every spring for guys who don't ride year-round. Why?

Not really a lot in that radio interview that I'd regard as anti-biker.
You are entitled to hold the view that you feel there are many bikers out there taking a drink and then riding. The view that I hold is quiet the opposite to that - as I have already eluded to; I don't know any biker (and I've known a few over the years) that would now risk taking a drink and then riding the bike in this climate of drink driving awareness, maybe 25 years ago for sure. Perhaps this Skerries or Laragh place you mention is different from the rest of the country, I've never been there apart from Skerries racing week end. I just think that it is disingenuous to bikers in general for the RSA to go on National radio and articulate this and suggest that there are substantial incidences of biker drink driving. I don't know where they are getting the statistics on it regarding alcohol levels as we all know what happened with the Garda published statistics (and if you don't, read this https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ests-1.3206620 ).
If they are basing it on toxi results statistics then say so and stop relying on conjecture.

As regards the overall biker safety argument, the radio interview did not in my opinion push home the point of the Sunday cage driver, the phone texter, the cage drink driver etc., cage driver spatial awareness of m/cs and cyclists, remember the "Think Once, Think Twice, Think Bike advert?
Anti biker? maybe not, blaming all bike related accidents and incidents on the biker fraternity, well yes, in the interview I was listening to in any case.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630
3,323 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few

on today fm, matt cooper show this evening, michael sheridan gave a more balanced view
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:19 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3483 from Milky Way Galaxy
522 posts since Aug 2006
Motorbike: GSXR-1000 L9
Modifications: Yoshi Afterburner

Originally Posted by VJMC
The RSA are a disgrace to humanity, dead bikers, slow down, its families that matter, mind yer own Fu****g business and do something useful and stop wasting tax payers money.

Whats your stance on local councils using loose gravel as resurfacing material = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on cheese grater road barriers which rip bikers arms and legs off = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on loose gravel at every junction a biker meets = nothing to do with us (they said)

Whats your stance on non slip manhole covers in the middle of bends and roundabouts = nothing to do with us (they said)

Do something useful you useless useless shower of cretins
Exactly what a loada boll*cks. All over the online news sources today and also saw it on six one news telling bikers be more aware and slow down when in fact its other road users and road conditions in a lot cases that is the contributing factor to biker RTA's....

Had a garda on the six one news holdng a sign "Ease of the throttle" ffs....

Last edited by stevewr1; 2nd May 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
radio, rsa, rte