Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630
3,323 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few
Default Re: RSA motorcycle survey

when they were at it, they could have asked

how often do you meet a vehicle on your side of the road
how often did a vehicle pull out of a junction so as to nearly cause a collision
how often did you see a driver on a mobile phone / device
how often did a pedestrian on a mobile phone / head phones walk in front of you

add to the list if you wish, send it in to them
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:27 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 34875 from Tullamore
165 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: Kawasaki Gtr 1000

How often did you have to take corrective or evasive action to avoid poor road surfaces, pot holes, loose chippings, agricultural waste etc?
Old 4th March 2019, 11:00 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,277 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by Kazawhaki
How often did you have to take corrective or evasive action to avoid poor road surfaces, pot holes, loose chippings, agricultural waste etc?
There was a section at the end where you can put in your own work what could be done to increase safety for bikers on the roads. I hope you filled all that in there. Along with the selective use of mirrors, lax implementation of the smart/mobile phone use - basically Irish motoring culture.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:37 AM
Resident Rainmaker

Biker.ie Member No. 10326 from Cork
2,363 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: XRV750,CBX1000,DKW,BSAA10
Modifications: None

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
There was a section at the end where you can put in your own work what could be done to increase safety for bikers on the roads. I hope you filled all that in there. Along with the selective use of mirrors, lax implementation of the smart/mobile phone use - basically Irish motoring culture.
I wrote several paragraphs here, outlining the state of the roads being a huge contributing factor to single Vehicle fatalities, also mobile phone use, careless drivers etc being the biggest contributers to accidents for motorcyclists.
The rest I gave as answers they probably don't want to hear, maintenance checks before every ride, 100% riding within the speed limit and the advertisement having no effect, as it's the kind of crap that I'm fully aware of and the reason why I'm still here 37 years after starting to ride on public roads in Ireland.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:16 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 7270 from Northside Dublin
82 posts since Nov 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit GSF1250A K8

As stated by others a survey can be made to reflect whatever they want-- makes no difference what you write in comments--its clearly done to introduce NCT tests. They need income and will get it anyway they can--their aim is to be self financing and that comes from NCTs ,instructor fees and regular tests--all in the name of safety.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,277 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by Rainman
I wrote several paragraphs here, outlining the state of the roads being a huge contributing factor to single Vehicle fatalities, also mobile phone use, careless drivers etc being the biggest contributers to accidents for motorcyclists.
The rest I gave as answers they probably don't want to hear, maintenance checks before every ride, 100% riding within the speed limit and the advertisement having no effect, as it's the kind of crap that I'm fully aware of and the reason why I'm still here 37 years after starting to ride on public roads in Ireland.
Spot on. Maybe they'll pick up on a theme from us or they'll just ignore all that doesn't confer their agenda.
Old 5th March 2019, 12:42 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28452
1,456 posts since Mar 2012
Motorbike: Kawasaki Versys 1000

Originally Posted by Kazawhaki
So true, loose chippings about an inch deep almost landed me on me head going around some twisties In Galway a few years back, no warning signage or anything.

Seen a speed ramp put into a village with no warning signs or painting for the first week amazing no bikers came off.
Old 5th March 2019, 08:15 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Ireland Mk2
515 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

I havent done the survey get but I will say I do modify my bike. I dont want to end up in some stupid situation where only OEM is mandated because "nobody is doing modificationd anyway"
Old 5th March 2019, 08:46 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
136 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein

I left the modifications bit blank, I think the case would be the opposite to what you said, everyone is modifying so lets introduce strict regulations like australia and fine for non compliant exhausts etc, or they would use it as an argument for nct, " a large proportion of bikers modify the bikes an nct system should be introduced to make sure these modifications are safe" Could see them coming out with some bs like that
Old 5th March 2019, 09:30 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
152 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

All the mods I listed were safety related, uprated headlights, indicators and brake lights.
Replaced footpegs for grippier ones and heated grips.

Also I'm quite insulted by that RSA ad they shoved down my throat. Then they didn't even have the decency to let me voice my displeasure or at least gimme a reach around after trying to fuck me.
Old 5th March 2019, 10:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15488 from WW
1,454 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: ST1300

I'd say there's a a fair percentage of righteous Cage drivers filling in that survey.
What would it be like if Biker.ie took the questionaire and could only be filled out by Bikers on here, at least there'd be a counter argument with the skewed results that will come out?
Just a thought!
Old 6th March 2019, 01:58 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37721 from Co. Limerick
48 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: Kawasaki Ninja 650

Dunno about the NBT, the majority of bikers take good care of their machines as something small can cost you. Of course there are others out there too.

Popped in this at the end of the survey:

Do some research into how most motorists (who don't use motorcycles) don't see motorcycles, research in the US has indicated that 60%+ people don't see them in everyday scenarios.

More driving training for other road users is needed for above and to get BASIC things right like lane use on greater than single lane carriageways, use of indicators BEFORE applying brakes, using mirrors/checking blindspots before turning/changing lanes, mobile phone use. Not applying the above means a driver is not concentrating and is unaware of their environment and those around them

Lessen the amount of times we have to corrective or evasive action to avoid poor road surfaces, pot holes, loose chippings, agricultural waste etc.
Old 6th March 2019, 02:51 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5986 from Dublin
683 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: FJR,S10,BT1100,TMax,XMax

Agree with Greyskipper, unless enough real everyday bikers fill in the survey it could be taken over by the pc brigade, become an unrepresentative sample and the 'results' skewed.

I think as many bikers as possible should fill it out and then maybe MAG or a friendly TD demand the results under the freedom of information act.

Ignoring it will play to their agenda, so there is nothing to lose by completing it.
Old 6th March 2019, 04:29 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4145 from Cork
386 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: ZXR400 SP, VFR 800, V50
Modifications: Blue Flame exhaust

Originally Posted by FJRLEE
Agree with Greyskipper, unless enough real everyday bikers fill in the survey it could be taken over by the pc brigade, become an unrepresentative sample and the 'results' skewed.

I think as many bikers as possible should fill it out and then maybe MAG or a friendly TD demand the results under the freedom of information act.

Ignoring it will play to their agenda, so there is nothing to lose by completing it.
Ah that's what they want you to think !!!!
Old 6th March 2019, 06:31 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,213 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by shanec
Ah that's what they want you to think !!!!
Or is it what they want you to think they want you to think
Old 6th March 2019, 08:46 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5986 from Dublin
683 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: FJR,S10,BT1100,TMax,XMax

There are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:14 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,392 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

There's only one certainty, and that's that this survey wasn't set up for our good. They'll extract the data they need that corresponds to whatever bullshit law they want to get passed and ignore everything else.

/sceptic
Old 7th March 2019, 08:58 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35865
39 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: Honda CMX 500

Originally Posted by Gixxer
There's only one certainty, and that's that this survey wasn't set up for our good. They'll extract the data they need that corresponds to whatever bullshit law they want to get passed and ignore everything else.

/sceptic
Of course, that's how surveys work . . .

Cheers,
sombaht
Old 7th March 2019, 09:34 AM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
1,036 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Whatevers popular
Modifications: cyclist skewer

Originally Posted by FJRLEE
There are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
..but do they know we know what we know..or do they think they know what we think we know....haw..

Last edited by Jack stowage; 7th March 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 7th March 2019, 11:48 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,413 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

Having done it, and given them feedback at the RDS show - the survey as it stands is quite biased, and has a significant number of "predetermined" results, regardless of how we answer.

Underlying this is that all bikers are drinking, speeding, reckless idiots who can't hold it together in a corner.
"In the last two years, how many times have you overcooked it in a corner?" is quite a leading question
Likewise "would you go pillion with someone who's had a few drinks?" (no option to say I've never yet been a pillion passenger, and am unlikely to be)

Survey was generated by an external company, who obviously know nothing about bikes - so not directly the fault of the RSA - but there was still someone who signed off on it.

Disappointed, it's a waste of a good opportunity to understand motorcycling in Ireland

P

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, dyno, independent, irish, motorcycle, reporting, rsa, survey, tuning, unbiased

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed