Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:37 PM
scudster's Avatar
scudster scudster is offline
Clem Fandango
 
Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
881 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR
Default Cylinder Leak down Tester

Im in the market to buy a leak down tester.
Are the budget option ones any addition like this https://ige.ie/cylinder-leak-detecto...SABEgJ0MfD_BwE

I see a serious variability in price for what look like they are all similar.

I will gladly take recommendations for one too!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:54 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
Veteran Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,576 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

Originally Posted by scudster
Im in the market to buy a leak down tester.
Are the budget option ones any addition like this https://ige.ie/cylinder-leak-detecto...SABEgJ0MfD_BwE

I see a serious variability in price for what look like they are all similar.

I will gladly take recommendations for one too!
Cheap ones have shite gauges,if the pressures not regulated correctly they loose their accuracy in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:02 PM
nednedned's Avatar
nednedned nednedned is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from Dubzland
2,449 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

There's lots of diy on the Google.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th April 2019, 10:19 AM
scudster's Avatar
scudster scudster is offline
Clem Fandango
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
881 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

Originally Posted by nednedned
There's lots of diy on the Google.
I did contemplate building my own but decided against it out of laziness. Plus bought ones come with a case to protect them instead a diy one just getting thrown on a shelf or in the bottom of a drawer and generally getting knocked about the place.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4th April 2019, 11:02 PM
scudster's Avatar
scudster scudster is offline
Clem Fandango
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
881 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

Went with this one in the end. Have Sealey stuff in the past and it was decent so hopin this is too.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331907592232
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 5th April 2019, 10:31 PM
Aidanm Aidanm is offline
ISB Contender
 
Biker.ie Member No. 33252
259 posts since May 2014
Motorbike: sp2, pre-inj cbr6
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

Originally Posted by scudster
Went with this one in the end. Have Sealey stuff in the past and it was decent so hopin this is too.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331907592232
I've used loads of sealey products down the years and generally found them decent. Have used the compression kits before though and found the sealing surface/o'rings on the plug hole adapters weren't great - recommended using a dab of moly grease to aid the seal and seating, and don't overtighten...
Good luck with the repair
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6th April 2019, 09:08 AM
scudster's Avatar
scudster scudster is offline
Clem Fandango
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
881 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR
Default Re: Cylinder Leak down Tester

Originally Posted by Aidanm
I've used loads of sealey products down the years and generally found them decent. Have used the compression kits before though and found the sealing surface/o'rings on the plug hole adapters weren't great - recommended using a dab of moly grease to aid the seal and seating, and don't overtighten...
Good luck with the repair
Cheers bud, thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
cylinder, leak, tester


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Master cylinder rebuild Rockster The Workshop 4 27th March 2018 07:13 PM
R6 (Bluespots) what size Radial master cylinder Jeff7t7 The Workshop 5 16th March 2018 05:49 PM
For Sale : Lidl handy few bits especially the Battery and Alternator Tester Valiant Thor Buying and Selling 18 7th January 2018 06:20 PM
Oil leak, a bit of help/advice needed lads Valiant Thor The Workshop 17 23rd December 2017 06:07 PM
2 Cylinder, 4 Cylinder, V's Etc ronspiegel General Bike Chat 45 7th April 2006 10:42 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed