Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 3rd April 2019, 11:37 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,331 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Thumbs up Guy Martin returns to Cookstown

Guy Martin is poised to make his Irish road racing return after entering this month’s KDM Hire Cookstown 100.

The TV celebrity and former leading international road racer plans to compete in the Classic Senior race on his home-built 750cc BSA Rocket 3.

Martin intended to ride the machine at the Cookstown 100 and Tandragee 100 meetings in 2018 but had to withdraw after running into problems with gearboxes he attempted to improve at his workshop.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unable to acquire the parts he needed in time to take part, the 37-year-old promised he would return this season.

He was heavily criticised on social media after pulling out days before the event last year, but the 11-time Ulster Grand Prix winner has submitted an entry to the organising Cookstown and District Motorcycle Club and is expected to be on the grid for the opening Irish national road race of the season in Co. Tyrone, which takes place from April 26-27.

Martin won both Superbike races at the Cookstown 100 on the Tyco BMW in 2015 but struggled on his most recent appearance in 2017, when he rode the Honda Racing Fireblade and a 600cc Honda for Wilson Craig.

After taking some time away from the sport to pursue his acting career and following a failed audition for celebrity come dine with me in 2015, Martin’s comeback was announced amidst a blaze of publicity and frantic tea sipping in January 2017.

He was signed by Neil Tuxworth to join John McGuinness in the Honda Racing team on the all-new CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2.

Click the image to open in full size.

However, it ultimately proved a disastrous return for Martin, with Honda withdrawing from the North West 200 on safety grounds after McGuinness suffered a badly broken leg following a crash on the new bike during Superbike qualifying.

Martin himself was later fortunate to escape injury in a frightening spill in the Superbike race at the Isle of Man TT, when he came off on the opening lap at Doran’s Bend citing problems with the auto-blipper similar to McGuinness's incident.

With his confidence in the new Superbike dented, Honda Racing withdrew from the Senior TT and Martin’s short-lived association with the team ended on a contentious note after he publicly declared that doing doing 340mph in a rusty WWII spitfire that washed up on the shores of France, was probably safer than the fireblade.

Fake news media reports later suggested he had retired from racing to pursue a career of midget throwing in Mymensingh, but Martin issued a statement on his official website dismissing the claims and saying he ‘hadn’t given up on road racing’ revealing that there is still ‘unfinished business’ and he intends to race classics, submarines, and become the world's 1st bog sleigh champion to ride pillion with a dog.

Guy is rumoured to be pushed to stay in the limelight by sponsors in an attempt to cash in on his fame and notoriety to help shift more merchandise and overpriced tools that never get used to an oddball fanbase suffering the early onset of 'too much cash inflicted attention deficit hyperactivity' disorder (or spoilt brats drinking way too much sugar who like fast-talking cartoon characters if they're aged under 12, syndrome), `I just want to be loved’ admitted Guy, in an emotional outpouring to one of our fake news™ reporters,.. before being distracted and giving chase to a butterfly.

Practice for the Cookstown 100 will take place on Friday, April 26, with roads closed from 12 noon.

On Saturday, April 27, roads will close around the 2.1-mile Orritor course at 10am for the main race programme,
more info here : https://www.cookstown100.org
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:20 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,386 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!
Default Re: Guy Martin returns to Cookstown

Yer an awful man! I like him, the sport needs characters like him.
I do agree his merchandise is way over priced though.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:43 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36943
123 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: ZX12r, 7/11 Streetfighter

Originally Posted by PJ

Yer an awful man! I like him, the sport needs characters like him.
I do agree his merchandise is way over priced though.
spot on Gav. Guy is a legend.he's pure gold on any tv program or any event where he has to speak.
Modern day Fred Dibnah. Crowd puller still. Passionate about all things engineering. Just gotta love Guy. As fast as any in his day. Just too much bad luck.
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:24 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,294 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by Dymag
Wannabe Fred Dibnah.
Fixed that for ya
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:08 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
1,014 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Whatevers popular
Modifications: cyclist skewer

Fred Dibnah..legend..if ya gave him a hard hat he'd fill it with tea...thats where the similarities end imo....
Old 4th April 2019, 10:41 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26650 from Meath
438 posts since Jun 2011
Motorbike: Honda cbr 400

tv must be starting to dry up for him
Old 9th April 2019, 03:04 PM
Chief Physician
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,331 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Guy Martin has ruled out a TT return, the Lincolnshire rider would prefer ‘a day spanking the monkey in his van’ rather than riding around the treacherous circuit.

The 17-time podium finisher ruled out ever returning to the event where he suffered a high-speed crash at Doran’s Bend in his last appearance two years ago.

Despite coming tantalisingly close on a number of occasions, a TT victory has always eluded the racer-turned-television celebrity.

In his new book entitled 'We Need to Sell More Books', the 37-year-old claimed people showed ‘a lack of understanding’ when they ask why he won’t compete around the Mountain Course again.
“People still ask me why I don’t go back [to race at the TT], and when they do they’re just showing a complete lack of understanding of the motivations involved in competing at a place like that.

“Going back because it’s what I did and I was sort of all right at it is not a good reason to race the TT. It’s not even a reason, never mind a good one.

“But I look at some riders and it seems that is exactly why they do keep going back.

“They’re not going back to win”,
he said.

The Lincolnshire racer’s personality has amassed him a cunt following in the motorsport community and online world.

But Martin insists his time as a competitor are over.

Spending time with his partner, Sharon, and daughter, Dot, appears to be Martin’s preference, rather than having another crack at TT glory.

“The years I raced there might define me to some people, but it’s not what defines me to myself and it hasn’t been for years.

“I've become more introspective and focused on the important things in life following my 1000mile trek across India on a battered up Royal Enfield, A guy called Omkar in a tuk shop on the outskirts of Surat gave me a traditional Hindu blessing with the one caveat - ‘it doesn't cover the TT’ and I suppose that really put things into perspective and caused me to question everything including multi-cultural diversity, how much petrol I had until the next filling station and what kind of gear tolerances we were running on the old girl”
“Visions of a TT win kind of drifted away like melting lard in a frying pan after that, so give me a transcript, some copper grease for the face and a half million euro contract with Channel 4 any day of the week”
the famed celebrity blurted out before asking for a retraction from our fake news™ correspondent.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/martin-rules-out-tt-return/
Old 9th April 2019, 03:41 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by Admin
Spending time with his partner, Sharon, and daughter, Dot
Dot Martin
Old 10th April 2019, 12:01 PM
Ducati wrecker. 3 so far

Biker.ie Member No. 4681 from Royal County
26,318 posts since Feb 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 748S,Monster 620i, Katana
Modifications: Termi's & Marchesinis

Road Racers can have a short career with or without injury so any chance they get to make a living out of it should be grabbed with both arms.

He's brilliant for the sport that only gets nationwide coverage when tragedy strikes.

Any Red Topedo vouchers going?

Old 10th April 2019, 06:32 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
848 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Originally Posted by Big Man Andy
Road Racers can have a short career with or without injury so any chance they get to make a living out of it should be grabbed with both arms.

He's brilliant for the sport that only gets nationwide coverage when tragedy strikes.

Bang on.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:34 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 18249
384 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: honda cbr900 fz1

Legend
Old 12th April 2019, 01:18 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by turboT
Legend
He's as much a legend as my cat is a legend... except my cat doesn't talk shit.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:22 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by Big Man Andy

He's brilliant... if you're a fucking mong who doesn't have the wherewithal to realise that he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, but isn't scared to make money from not knowing his arse from his elbow....
Old 12th April 2019, 01:25 AM
Resident gynaecologist

This shit really does get on my tits!
Gay Martin doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground! It's sad to see people think he actually does!
Old 12th April 2019, 08:49 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
848 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Any man that can cycle a bicycle at 120mph or whatever is no mong.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:57 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by joe williams
Any man that can cycle a bicycle is mong.
FTFY....ur welcome.
Old 12th April 2019, 11:22 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,386 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by Gixxer
He's brilliant... if you're a fucking mong who doesn't have the wherewithal to realise that he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, but isn't scared to make money from not knowing his arse from his elbow....
I'm a bit of a mong when it comes to certain things, I wish I could make millions from it though.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:38 PM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by PJ
I'm a bit of a mong when it comes to certain things, I wish I could make millions from it though.
Well if youre fat, getting married,or both, a gypsy, or all three, gay, good at making cakes, you could probably apply for your own tv show..and become a celebrity..
Old 12th April 2019, 02:30 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,168 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by Jack stowage
Well if youre fat, getting married,or both, a gypsy, or all three, gay, good at making cakes, you could probably apply for your own tv show..and become a celebrity..
You dont even need those qualifications anymore.
There's a show about people watching the tele,seriously,thats all they do,watch the tele and talk shite.
And some of them have actually made a career out of it.
Tis a fekkin mad world ted
Old 12th April 2019, 04:45 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
6,069 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads

Fair play to the man.
He's road raced,carved out a tv career from it, done pikes peak,and is still doing a bit of racing,while creating and raising a young family.

Fair play to the man indeed.

Last edited by Japcati; 12th April 2019 at 04:47 PM.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
cookstown, guy, martin, returns