Old 15th April 2019, 05:08 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,294 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by 2shea
Seems to be a bit of an attitude towards it? Don't see why there should be, it changes gear much quicker and smoother then any manual.
But IT decides when to change gear. Not something I'd want on a bike.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:53 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,269 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Originally Posted by 2shea
Had a spin on both the AT and Crosstourer 1200 with DCT.

First time I was on the crosstourer going around a round about it decided to change up a gear, which I found a bit unsettling.

Found out after that if you put it in sport it will hold on to the gears longer and stops that kind of thing from happening.

In normal mode it wants to get the bike into top gear as soon as it can.

So when I took the Africa Twin for a spin knowing this it was much better.

I like it.

Seems to be a bit of an attitude towards it? Don't see why there should be, it changes gear much quicker and smoother then any manual.
Eh, fuck that !
The highlighted paragraph answers your question at the bottom. Also it's not about physically changing gears, it's about being in the correct gear at the correct time = control. It cannot read the road ahead, you do and especially for off-road.
DCT AT's are mostly city bikes, as told to me by an auld fella I know with one.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:18 AM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,780 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
Eh, fuck that !
The highlighted paragraph answers your question at the bottom. Also it's not about physically changing gears, it's about being in the correct gear at the correct time = control. It cannot read the road ahead, you do and especially for off-road.
DCT AT's are mostly city bikes, as told to me by an auld fella I know with one.
I've been all over Ireland on mine not just city riding never had a problem with either. Same on roundabouts
Old 15th April 2019, 11:49 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kavo
I've been all over Ireland on mine not just city riding never had a problem with either. Same on roundabouts
That's good that it has met your needs, but it doesn't address my point regarding it not knowing what's in front of it. Even so, it doesn't matter to me if it's good or not, for a few reasons I wouldn't be buying one unless physical needs dictated it. It's going to be brilliant for some and not so for others.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,583 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

That's good that it has met your needs, but it doesn't address my point regarding it not knowing what's in front of it. Even so, it doesn't matter to me if it's good or not, for a few reasons I wouldn't be buying one unless physical needs dictated it. It's going to be brilliant for some and not so for others.
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:34 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2020 from Mayo
439 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

Originally Posted by DavyH
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
Exactly. The rider still has to control the bike & read the road. I use manual mode, just like a quickshifter. It takes time to get used to it but it works.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:44 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,168 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Stupid question,if you're using "manual" mode and rev the shite out of it in 1st,
will it change up itself and if you let it labor in a high gear will it change down?
Old 15th April 2019, 09:56 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by vroombandit
Exactly. The rider still has to control the bike & read the road. I use manual mode, just like a quickshifter. It takes time to get used to it but it works.
Plus it has kickdown if you crack the throttle wide open....and I believe you can buy a shift lever for foot operation if youíre really missing it...so aside from not having a clutch lever to play with itís the same thing in most ways.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by SoulX
Stupid question,if you're using "manual" mode and rev the shite out of it in 1st,
will it change up itself and if you let it labor in a high gear will it change down?
The bike I was on had 1200kms so I wasn’t prepared to bounce it off the limiter but it got to the peak of torque and hp and I was just shifting up without looking,it hadn’t intervened at that point

On the downshifts side, I didn’t actually notice. I was mostly leaving it in auto and using the paddles as I saw fit,if you shift up or down it seems to stay in a different setting in expectation you’re going to continue using the paddles,then it goes back to normal operation. It’s all very seamless,I would suggest trying it out if you get the opportunity,it’s a pretty decent well thought out system but does require time to settle into the way it all works

Last edited by DavyH; 15th April 2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:42 PM
Supporter

My original point I made regarding dct is Off-road, on road I'd be a bit hesitant, but off road I can't see it being very beneficial. I use the clutch a lot to modulate and be ready to react. personally I'd need to ride one proper. I'm pretty sure most people who bought one are happy with them, equally people who didn't buy one are also happy !
Old 16th April 2019, 11:14 PM
Veteran Racer

My original point I made regarding dct is Off-road, on road I'd be a bit hesitant, but off road I can't see it being very beneficial. I use the clutch a lot to modulate and be ready to react. personally I'd need to ride one proper. I'm pretty sure most people who bought one are happy with them, equally people who didn't buy one are also happy !
I get what youíre saying,but hereís the thing...the shift is seamless,so even if you find it a bit diturbing thinking it will change gear mid round about or corner,it doesnít matter because the bike doesnít become unsettled. The gear change is smoother then the average rider,and itís consistent. So that time you may catch a false neutral mid corner on a conventional gearbox because you didnít positively select will not happen on the dct,thereís much less chance of losing traction in wet conditions up or down shifting mid corner. Off road I think is where it would shine the most,it canít stall, and if youíre spinning up the rear trying to get a move on you can just paddle it up a gear and let the traction control do itís business if youíre that fussy.

Iíd have been very much against the idea of traction control,and abs too at one point,because I felt it took away from driving experience of a bike,but the systems available these days are less intrusive,and the only give away in some instances is a flashing light on the dash. If you get an opportunity you should try one out,for a reasonable spin...then make your mind up
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:01 AM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,780 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Originally Posted by Dominus Obsequious Sororium
No worries...I'll find someone eventually!
Just seen that CBROAR says that Alpine Star gloves XXL might fit smaller size hands so maybe I will have a look because I'm looking for some summer gloves I can't seem to PM you my number so it's 0eight6eight1four6eight5nine cheers
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:39 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630
3,315 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few

no,
you are in manual mode, all gear changes have to be done with + or - buttons,
so it will rev out to the limiter up you dont change up manually
or it will lug around a roundabout in 5th/6th if you dont change down manually,
same as any other bike

in auto, it will change automatically,
you also have a manual override with the + & - buttons on the left side if you think the bike is in too high or too low gear
once on the move all up shifts are seamless, on downshifts the throttle was blipped automatically

i found manual mode better in towns on the bigger bikes, vfr 1200 / africa twin (must get a spin on one again)

with the NC auto mode worked better in town coz of the low rev limit, brilliant in traffic, very nimble
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:10 PM
Supporter

I get what youíre saying,but hereís the thing...the shift is seamless,so even if you find it a bit diturbing thinking it will change gear mid round about or corner,it doesnít matter because the bike doesnít become unsettled. The gear change is smoother then the average rider,and itís consistent. So that time you may catch a false neutral mid corner on a conventional gearbox because you didnít positively select will not happen on the dct,thereís much less chance of losing traction in wet conditions up or down shifting mid corner. Off road I think is where it would shine the most,it canít stall, and if youíre spinning up the rear trying to get a move on you can just paddle it up a gear and let the traction control do itís business if youíre that fussy.

Iíd have been very much against the idea of traction control,and abs too at one point,because I felt it took away from driving experience of a bike,but the systems available these days are less intrusive,and the only give away in some instances is a flashing light on the dash. If you get an opportunity you should try one out,for a reasonable spin...then make your mind up

I am officially intrigued, I will try one. Just to note, I thought the old AT was shite off-road in Ireland. They are just too heavy, need a single cylinder, like an XT.
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
4,033 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

I am officially intrigued, I will try one. Just to note, I thought the old AT was shite off-road in Ireland. They are just too heavy, need a single cylinder, like an XT.
Yep, I think all the big manufacturers are missing a trick just churning out lardy overweight 'adventure' bikes, and should try to get a bike out in and around the 150~175kg mark (think the original KTM LC4 640 Adv)
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran Racer

Yeah I had an rd07a...the heaviest of the bunch. I did do some off-roading ,some pretty intense stuff through forestry,rocky roads,firetracks and bogs...it was far more capable than expected,especially on road biased tourances....but going down any incline was arm pump hell.Tough bike to do all that on,and sometimes out of sheer exhaustion I got it bogged down,at one point I was all about to leave the bastard to rot where it stood,it had sunk up to the back of the seat in smelly shitty bogwater. Ground clearance wasnít great either. So yeah,they can do it,but fuck that thereís much handier alternatives😂
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:55 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,168 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by renniks
Yep, I think all the big manufacturers are missing a trick just churning out lardy overweight 'adventure' bikes, and should try to get a bike out in and around the 150~175kg mark (think the original KTM LC4 640 Adv)
The furthest off-road most of those yokes go is parking on the footpath outside starbucks.
All the high bars and alloy boxes is only for show.
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:37 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
666 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

The furthest off-road most of those yokes go is parking on the footpath outside starbucks.
All the high bars and alloy boxes is only for show.
Blasphemy

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
automatic, big, bikes, mopeds