Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Anyone ever import a new bike ? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247189)

pendy 9th January 2019 12:02 PM

Anyone ever import a new bike ?

Polish buddy of mine was gonna buy a new Africa twin in Poland(he has small business here and vat number) was gonna buy it unregistered and import straight away to Ireland,we know he gotta vrt it straight away but do u get hit with any other catches ??

Harley Riders Love A Reacharound 9th January 2019 12:05 PM

Re: Anyone ever import a new bike ?

Obviously pat he'll have to pay VAT again dude if its a road bike afaik

pendy 9th January 2019 12:10 PM

[quote=Harley Riders Love A Reacharound;3561481]Obviously pat he'll have to pay VAT again dude if its a road bike afaik[/quote]

Even with a vat number ?

johnny b 9th January 2019 12:57 PM

Anything under 6months old or under 4000kms is liable for vat.
He can buy it in Poland put 4000kms on it and keep it there for 6 months then he can import it and not pay vrt as if he can prove he's owned and lived there the last 6months.

He won't get away with not paying vat on a new bike.

Seanie Philip Hugo Baron van Zuylen van Nijevelt 9th January 2019 01:02 PM

[quote=pendy;3561483]Even with a vat number ?[/quote]

I'd say so unless it's for work and i think that only work's for commercials unless he is going to ride it on polish plates i know a few lad's brought bike's from the North using there/A vat number year's ago and drove on the uk plate but think thay stoped that loop hole

Manastor 9th January 2019 01:12 PM

He should try to buy it without vat, u shouldn't pay it twice in EU, so if he is buying there, ex.vat. people do that getting bikes up north :p

blk150 9th January 2019 01:19 PM

Within the EU so he could claim the VAT back on point of purchase in Poland. :thumbsup2:

pendy 9th January 2019 02:03 PM

[quote=blk150;3561489]Within the EU so he could claim the VAT back on point of purchase in Poland. :thumbsup2:[/quote]

And does he pay vat again in Ireland when he is vrt it

Sleazy Rider 9th January 2019 04:10 PM

With a vat no. he should be able to buy and have exported from Poland without paying the vat there. He will have to pay vat on the polish purchase price plus the full rate of vrt as the bike is new. Although he can technically claim this vat back if the taxman looks closely he may have a problem explaining why his business needed an africa twin and if they don't like it they could hit him with benefit in kind and all manner of hassle.....

Sure if it was easy, we'd all be doing it!

oretom 9th January 2019 05:52 PM

buy it in his brothers name..or friend, ride it here...on holiday..cough cough..then buy it from whomever as a second hand bike in few months , with milage on it

soccersmyth 9th January 2019 07:23 PM

If he's vat registered, he probably has an accountant.

Tell him to talk to that man.

seano 9th January 2019 07:27 PM

I had the misfortune of of buying my first bike over the internet (quite literally). Bought a chinese bike from a dealer in the U.K. transferred over money etc it was a Lexmoto adrenaline 125. FWIW My parents wanted to hear nothing about me getting a bike as I was 17 and had been pestering them for years, this is all I could afford, I could have bought something second hand in Ireland but had no way of going to see it etc as my parents wouldn't know about, I always want to keep business local as much as possible.
Anyway got it delivered in a crate, didn't know about having to present it for vrt within 30 days, that was the first thing. It was about 3 months after import when I actually started registering it, to avoid fines my dad helped me out and we have a good friend with a tan number who registered it in his name, so that was fine. But then it transpired while Lexmoto are big in the U.K. mine was the first in Ireland. Because of this I had to have the E.U. certificate of conformity, got onto dealer who got onto Lexmoto and they sent me one. Unfortunately I missed the deadline and Vrt crowd would no longer accept paper version of the cert of conformity, it had to be manually inputted online. I then got stuck with the VAT as I didn't know about this either. There is a way around this you can send some form to the Hmrc and the dealer will then sell to you vat free as if you were vat registered or you can claim it back off hmrc with the dealers help, the dealer I bought the bike off were pricks, I'm not sure if defamation is looked too kindly upon on these forums so I won't say names. If they were clever they would have claimed the vat themselves and kept it.
A word of advice to anyone don't buy Chinese bikes and really look into dealers who sell Chinese product as in my experience they are awful not just from this experience but many in Ireland also.

If you are importing a new bike make sure you buy the bike vat free instead of trying to claim it back afterwards.

seano 9th January 2019 07:41 PM

Just found the details, you fill out Vat form 411 if buying from U.K. Vehicle must be gone within 2 months and not ridden in U.K. Vat must then be paid in your country. I'm sure this is probably an E.U. wide thing as the Brits wouldn't do it just because it's a sound thing to do.

Gixxer 9th January 2019 09:40 PM

[quote=seano;3561511]Bought a chinese bike[/quote]
:doh:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS