Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Where does it stop? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250333)

R.M 7th November 2019 08:52 PM

Where does it stop?

It seems year after year bike manufacturers keep increasing HP & Torque while reducing weight of the machine.

With each of these improvements, more rider aids need to be added to keep the rider safe.

Question is....how far can they go? How far do we want them to go?

Do you want a 500hp machine that takes 10 mins at start up to configure ride preferences or do you want a 180hp get on & ride machine where you control all external oddities?

iano 7th November 2019 09:10 PM

Re: Where does it stop?

500bhp please

DavyH 7th November 2019 09:14 PM

Yeah fuck that,Iíll take the power please....thereís still millions of Honda 50ís out there for extortionate money if youíre feeling overwhelmed by all the horses running around

corkgsxr 7th November 2019 09:37 PM

It makes for alot of fun tho. Just stops the highsides and stuff on expected slippy shit

Gixxer 7th November 2019 09:59 PM

seano 7th November 2019 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582431]42.[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to say 45 on my experienced judgement.

me2 7th November 2019 11:17 PM

Bog off. Why not ask the bikes onboard chip that question given yer happy to let it make all other decisions for ya, ffs.

seano 7th November 2019 11:19 PM

More horsepower, if you want the thrill of almost being high sided you can turn down the electronic settings and if you are a mad man turn everything off and let that 500 rip. A lot of manufacturers are copping on too in that your chosen settings are saved in stead of being reset at key off so it's turn the key and ride

Gixxer 7th November 2019 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=seano;3582438]I'm inclined to say 45 on my experienced judgement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you'd be wrong, because 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
[url]http://news.mit.edu/2019/answer-life-universe-and-everything-sum-three-cubes-mathematics-0910[/url]

seano 8th November 2019 01:12 AM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582444]Yeah but you'd be wrong, because 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
[url]http://news.mit.edu/2019/answer-life-universe-and-everything-sum-three-cubes-mathematics-0910[/url][/QUOTE]

Whell Sheet I figured you had pulled that out of your arse. I've been duped.

PADDYOT 8th November 2019 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=seano;3582440]More horsepower, if you want the thrill of almost being high sided you can turn down the electronic settings and if you are a mad man turn everything off and let that 500 rip. A lot of manufacturers are copping on too in that your chosen settings are saved in stead of being reset at key off so it's turn the key and ride[/QUOTE]

My neighbour recently bought a Yamaha R1 M (2018). He was telling me about the app he has on his phone for 'setting the bike up'. I thought he was taking the piss but he wasn't......

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AgOFcSWL3I[/url]

You can be lying in bed, peek out the window and see what sort of day it is and then set up your bike accordingly before you're finished brushing your teeth, all done remotely. :woots::woots::woots:

Jack stowage 8th November 2019 07:17 AM

I believe the new GS can order your shopping and put the immersion on before you get home...Wifey, look out....:lbhbh:

manbearpig 8th November 2019 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582431]42.[/QUOTE]

Just got that - great book :thumbsup2:

Jack stowage 8th November 2019 08:17 AM

In my day, fuel injection was the devils work and would never take off.............:smileee:

Dominus Obsequious Sororium 8th November 2019 08:46 AM

I have never ridden a bike with traction control....but I imagine there's a tendency to whack the throttle and let the computer sort it out?

The SDR doesn't even have ABS... as for electronic rider aids, it has a fuel light.

oretom 8th November 2019 08:50 AM

where does it stop????? it doesnt stop, you stop, you find what you are happy with and get old, or vice cersa, then the nexrt generation suck up all this marketing, your money is gone on your pina colada pension fund,

seano 8th November 2019 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Jack stowage;3582450]I believe the new GS can order your shopping and put the immersion on before you get home...Wifey, look out....:lbhbh:[/QUOTE]

By God you better hope it can turn it off too.

pedrosixfour 8th November 2019 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=Dominus Obsequious Sororium;3582458] as for electronic rider aids, it has a fuel light.[/QUOTE]

WITCHCRAFT!!!

The ZRX coughs when it's time for the fuel tap to be switched to RES.

kawasixxer 8th November 2019 09:38 AM

No such thing as enough power.. donít need that kind of negativity round here :lbhbh:

Dominus Obsequious Sororium 8th November 2019 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=pedrosixfour;3582464]WITCHCRAFT!!!

The ZRX coughs when it's time for the fuel tap to be switched to RES.[/QUOTE]

Assuming it isn't *already* on RES....:doh:

sharpbikes 8th November 2019 10:19 AM

gone are the good auld days of swishing the bike between your legs while looking in the tank to see if youll reach the destination without a petrol stop, a lost talent if you ask me, alot of lads i know could tell you to the km how much that swishing petrol would get them :lbhbh:

im all for more power, do we need it...... no, but do we want it..... hell yeah.

unfortunately though i think the old phrase "sorting the men from the boys" is no longer applicable to the bike but down to the settings on a fellas iphone before he even puts on his bike gear.

DavyH 8th November 2019 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=sharpbikes;3582474]gone are the good auld days of swishing the bike between your legs while looking in the tank to see if youll reach the destination without a petrol stop, a lost talent if you ask me, alot of lads i know could tell you to the km how much that swishing petrol would get them :lbhbh:

im all for more power, do we need it...... no, but do we want it..... hell yeah.

unfortunately though i think the old phrase "sorting the men from the boys" is no longer applicable to the bike but down to the settings on a fellas iphone before he even puts on his bike gear.[/QUOTE]

If it means there ends up being more on the used market,then let the tossers have at it....theyíre usually the ones in a position to buy new....

Itís still early days for TC ,the higher end stuff has fairly quality kit thatís pretty adjustable and you wouldnít even know itís active most of the time,but the setup on budget bikes and maxi scooters is very intrusive,I find it dangerous because of the way it cuts power abruptly.

Honestly,I like all that shit....very interesting to see it all advance,but generally when I get on most things with TC it gets turned off and fun shall be had!!!

I still commute on a carbíd yoke most days.....itís irritating not having a fuel gauge,but itís definitely an enjoyable machine with only rider input needed,and itís yet to let me down!

renniks 8th November 2019 11:40 AM

1000hp, 120kg, and it has to be able to drive me home by itself after a night on the beer!

Big H 8th November 2019 03:54 PM

99% of lads/lassies haven't the skill/ability to use 180bhp on the road anyway, so why bother with more.

All too often I've seen excellent peg scraping vfr400 pilots run rings around the power ranger wannabe Gixxer Thou straight line heroes in the twisties.

Upgrade your brakes, suspension, wheels even and become a more accomplished fast road rider before you look for more power.....:thumbsup2:

The comb over kid 8th November 2019 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=renniks;3582488]1000hp, 120kg, and it has to be able to drive me home by itself after a night on the beer![/QUOTE]

Now your talking

me2 9th November 2019 03:00 AM

[QUOTE=Jack stowage;3582455]In my day, fuel injection was the devils work and would never take off.............:smileee:[/QUOTE]
and the only adjustment was resetting the clocks trip meter so ya could see at a glance how many miles ya covered that day

KongR1 9th November 2019 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=PADDYOT;3582448]My neighbour recently bought a Yamaha R1 M (2018). He was telling me about the app he has on his phone for 'setting the bike up'. I thought he was taking the piss but he wasn't......

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AgOFcSWL3I[/url]

You can be lying in bed, peek out the window and see what sort of day it is and then set up your bike accordingly before you're finished brushing your teeth, all done remotely. :woots::woots::woots:[/QUOTE]

Feck sake that's some technology.... had a look on youtube after viewing the video you posted and it seems you can log telemetry and it also maps your journey ???? :cool3:
I think most of your time would be spent looking at data rather than riding the thing :rolleyes2: maybe that's why I've never seen one on the road or in the flesh!

bonzoid 9th November 2019 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Dominus Obsequious Sororium;3582472]Assuming it isn't *already* on RES....:doh:[/QUOTE]

Been there, done that more than once, usually on the hottest day of the summer.....:sadwalk:

PADDYOT 9th November 2019 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=KongR1;3582522]seems you can log telemetry and it also maps your journey ???? :cool3:
I think most of your time would be spent looking at data rather than riding the thing [/QUOTE]

I've seen his graphs :bag:
Yeah it collects vast amounts of data and is infinitely customable. Waaaaaaay OTT for the road. Very impressive none the less, progress is progress.

KongR1 9th November 2019 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=PADDYOT;3582549]I've seen his graphs :bag:
Yeah it collects vast amounts of data and is infinitely customable. Waaaaaaay OTT for the road. Very impressive none the less, progress is progress.[/QUOTE]

Nice gadgets to play with but Iím sure the novelty would wear off .Sounds like an awesome track tool, although itís a pricey piece of kit to risk on a track day. Imagine dropping it :doh::doh:
That said itís probably safer on track considering some of the tosspots driving on the roads.