Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   is there anything to be said for saying another mass? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250264)

KTMkenny 29th October 2019 09:28 AM

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Had a 50kpm fall last week. nothing serious but I did make a big hole in my Alpinestars cordura jacket. On the shoulder. Wore down to the armor.

So. I can honestly say, if I fell at a greater speed , say on the N7 or m50, cordura would be next to useless.

But its winter. Is there any midrange leather jackets and pants you would recommend for winter commuting. :thumbsup2:

Kaos Theory 29th October 2019 11:04 AM

Re: is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Sorry to hear about the spill, glad you're ok though, remember gear can always be replaced so sounds like a good result.

You could try wearing your normal summer leathers with thermals underneath and a set of Richa Rain Warrior over the leathers to keep you dry and the chill out?

Or get Flexothane overgear, nothing gets through it.

KTMkenny 29th October 2019 12:16 PM

Whats going on with the title . Who did that?

renniks 29th October 2019 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=KTMkenny;3581948]Whats going on with the title . Who did that?[/QUOTE]

one of the admins - funny guys

PADDYOT 29th October 2019 12:39 PM

I wear the same (summer?) leathers in the winter but just get as many layers underneath as possible, layers are the key. As mentioned by Kaos, some windbreaker type light rain gear on top.

But that could be an ecumenical matter........

Japcati 29th October 2019 01:59 PM

Lidl and Aldi sell the merino wool thermal leggings and compression tops every few months.
Fantastic for keeping the cold out.
Well priced too.

For the rain.....richa or Oxford hi viz yellow rain jacket over your textile jacket.

Or else splash the cash and buy Klim gortex gear.

f4fwildcat 29th October 2019 08:28 PM

Black Friday sales should be coming up soon enough as well so might be able to get some bargains online. Richa Cyclone jacket and trouser are GoreTex. Found them to be very good and wasn't too expensive for what it was when the sales were on.

If you have some spare gear like the others were saying layer up and you should be fine. What I used to do before I had some better gear was wear waterproof hiking gear underneath the cheap motorbike gear and if anything got through the outer layer it wouldn't get through the inner layer of waterproofs.

Luki 30th October 2019 11:17 AM

The Garda have Scott Venom gear all year, with a waterproof overcoat. Its a mix of kevlar and 1.2-1.4 leather.

-alan- 30th October 2019 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Japcati;3581960]Lidl and Aldi sell the merino wool thermal leggings and compression tops every few months.
Fantastic for keeping the cold out.
Well priced too.
.[/QUOTE]

I bought one of the 'merino' wool jumpers. Read later there's actually bugger all merino in them - <5% maybe. You get what you pay for I guess.

Duke RR 30th October 2019 12:47 PM

Buy a Rukka

motoxyogi 30th October 2019 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=Kaos Theory;3581938]Sorry to hear about the spill, glad you're ok though, remember gear can always be replaced so sounds like a good result.

You could try wearing your normal summer leathers with thermals underneath and a set of Richa Rain Warrior over the leathers to keep you dry and the chill out?

Or get Flexothane overgear, nothing gets through it.[/QUOTE]

+1 for flexothane overgear. I've being using a set of leggings for years, stashed under the saddle. Not the most breathable thing but it keeps the water and wind out