Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How old is too old. (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248169)

mike lydon 15th April 2019 09:43 AM

How old is too old.

How old were you when you started biking.
Were members brought up with bikes, or did you get into it later in life. If so roughly what age did you start off.
Just out of interest.

Jack stowage 15th April 2019 09:50 AM

Re: How old is too old.

Sorry i was thinking of something else....:bag:

Dub Duke 15th April 2019 11:03 AM

I think once your gross and fine motor skills are fine, and you are used to being on the road in some form, then it's never too late.

I got into bikes before I was 10. Dad had a Ducati 750, and bought us a wrecked but complete Kwaker AE 50. We helped him build it, and have been a biker every since, although didn't always have a bike from then until now.

The problem with starting late is that you have to be conscious that it's a never ending learning curve, so just because you get your license, doesn't mean you are going to be in good shape on the road.

nednedned 15th April 2019 11:39 AM

Around 21 on an AR80. I had more learning on keeping it going.

mike lydon 15th April 2019 11:53 AM

I started out young on the old Honda 50s, then up to 125s dirt bikes, took a very very long break, but going to get back into it.
A nice cruiser type. Just for running around.

CodeJACK 15th April 2019 12:20 PM

[quote=Jack stowage;3569422]Sorry i was thinking of something else....:bag:[/quote]

:lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh:

I never knew anyone with a bike until the age of 12 when i got a spin on a neighbours 80cc crosser at a track in Walkinstown. I was hooked from that point on but only on stuff with engines. Was never allowed a bike by my parents.

Got my first bike at age 24 and itís been primary mode of transport ever since. I could never go back to a cage and when I drive my wifeís I find it infuriating and I get back anxiety on the roads

My First Suzuki 15th April 2019 12:21 PM

Started in 1974 at 15 on a Vespa 90. Bought a new CZ 125 after that. Passed the test on it in 1976. Sold it in 1978 & didn't have another bike until 2009 :woots: In my early years a bike was a necessity for getting to work, etc. Since 2009 it's all been for fun. I like having fun......:devil:

allsorts&oddjobs 15th April 2019 12:24 PM

Started about age 12 on a honda fifty that i got for a fiver, back wheel was eggshaped but it was fun lol.

woodsman 15th April 2019 12:27 PM

A friend of mine dropped by the other day he’s 71. He was telling me how he just lost 40k on a business venture which he cannot afford to lose. He then had to sell off the few old bikes he had to make ends meet.
He then started telling me about a recent visit to hospital when the cornea in his eye detached. He woke one morning and rubbed his eyes as you do when it detached leaving him half blind and in agony. The postie found him later in distress and they organized getting him into hospital.
After much poking at his eye the doc said he’d have to patch up both eyes to stop them moving as much as possible. The nurses strike was the same day so he could not be admitted. So off home with loads of steroids to sit in the dark for the next week.
On the second day the steroids were playing havoc with his guts and things were not good at the back door. A sprint was required to the bog this morning and fortunately knowing the run of the house “even blind” he just arrived in time to drop the tracksuit bottoms, it all went south then like a fluttering of pigeons leaving the roost.
Just when you think things can’t get any worse......the toilet seat was down!
At this point I then told him he was probably too old to be riding motorcycles.

bran_flake 15th April 2019 01:04 PM

was 35 starting off with no history of biking.

GONKO 15th April 2019 01:11 PM

I started 2 years ago at 31 on a SV650s K2. No previous experience on two wheels, but have (and still am) a petrol head when it comes to cars.

The comb over kid 15th April 2019 01:23 PM

Back in 89 i met an old geezer on a 1100 hypersport with a pudding bowl helmet, he must have been around 70...God Bless em:bikerie:

Gixxer 15th April 2019 01:27 PM

I was 6 years old when I got my first ride. It was on a Mobylette motobycane SP93 that my dad bought from the neighbour.

[IMG]http://www.laceysmotorcycles.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/mobylette-sp93-after/Mobylette1.jpg[/IMG]

It was a CVT thing. I had to sit on it and get a push from my dad to set off, because I couldn't reach the floor, and I had to come to a standstill and drop the bike over to reach the floor when I stopped. :D

mike lydon 15th April 2019 02:15 PM

I'm in my mid forties, the kids are rared and left home, so I have plenty of free time to get back into biking properly.
Going to get a project bike to fix up in my spare time, along with practicing and applying for my full licence.
Something I always wanted to do.

Dub Duke 15th April 2019 02:15 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3569452]I was 6 years old when I got my first ride. It was on a Mobylette motobycane SP93 that my dad bought from the neighbour.

[IMG]http://www.laceysmotorcycles.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/mobylette-sp93-after/Mobylette1.jpg[/IMG]

It was a CVT thing. I had to sit on it and get a push from my dad to set off, because I couldn't reach the floor, and I had to come to a standstill and drop the bike over to reach the floor when I stopped. :D[/quote]

Same shit with my little brother on the AE50! Hilarious when you don't put the petrol tap on and little man is other side of the field when it conks out!

joe williams 15th April 2019 02:19 PM

Got my first bike at 12 , havent been without one since im 42 now.:thumbsup2:

RTV 15th April 2019 02:19 PM

Legally on the street with proper bikes, only about 3 years ago and I was 33.

Place I lived before has a mental and very aggressive traffic, biking is suicidal.

renniks 15th April 2019 02:55 PM

I've been biking since I was in Fas after college, and it is my only means of transport - I never learned to drive a cage, and I'm now 44.
Lately, I've actually been thinking about selling my bikes, as I use them so little. The CRF250 Rally I got last year is only just about to hit the 2500km mark. My 1150GS has been sat up since last Sept, and is only ever used to drive up to Dublin on. I don't mind getting the bus up/back, when I am visiting the folks, and once up in Dublin, I either walk/cycle/bus/Luas to get around. So I was thinking I could quite easily get rid of the lot of the bikes I have and not miss them too much.

Has anyone else taken a break from bikes for years?

gap35 15th April 2019 02:57 PM

12 NSU Quickly pedal like fook to get going... used to nick it when my older brother was away.

Jack stowage 15th April 2019 03:13 PM

12...mates da's LS3...brand new, we hadnt a fucking clue how fast this "sports bike" was....he had a bantam before it...shitened the fright out of us...ah, happier times....:smileee:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS