Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 15th May 2018, 04:29 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36943
108 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: ZX12r, 7/11 Streetfighter
Default Re: insurance discs for bikes ???

Originally Posted by RTV
Because if you're out on a ride, you're most likely not to have any phone service
i always carry a printed copy in waterproof pouch. reason being, if for some reason you also have a little misdemeanour/run in with say some tiny traffic violation, and you get pulled,
if they can verify all your paperwork roadside, it colours their decision whether it's worth doing you, again, if it's a small issue. And i can vouch for this as i burst past a truck once coming off slip road onto M7.Didn't see cop car on far side, pulled me, seen all paperwork, just got a bollicking. I'm certain the paperwork got me off and saved him telling me to produce all to nearest station and maybe a fine....... always worth carrying.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:45 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35571 from Dublin
813 posts since Dec 2015
Motorbike: Bimota YB9 SRI
Modifications: Wear and Tear!

It's always a good idea to make their life easier..... so they can go catch proper crooks... they love hearing that too...
Old 15th May 2018, 04:46 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 34835 from Cork, Ireland.
18 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: 1340 Heritage Softail
Modifications: Chrome, S&S carb

Originally Posted by Cylinderhead
, why not have insurance discs for bikes ?
because they look shit.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:56 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 36371 from Dublin16
65 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: SuzukiGS550
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by PJ
Why did he stop?
Emoji's not working so I can't add the smiley face.
The checkpoint cotained an Armed Response Unit !!!
Old 15th May 2018, 10:47 PM
#Throttleopen

Biker.ie Member No. 35312 from Deepsouth
417 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: GSXR600k7
Modifications: tiny no plate.

I drove in to a check point last year the lady gardai around 25 year of age id say.( v cute blond !)looking all round the front of the bike.Pipe being loud she shouted in a nice way can u turn it of for a sec please in the front of my lid.so i did.with that he male cop stopping the traffic comming the other way walk over, saluted me and ask her was every thing ok. I dont see any tax on his windscreen she says.??? I started laughn inside the lid the male cop bust out laughn.where is it he askd ? Near the can behind me...i see it good man drive on take it easy an he bustn his hole . Id say they was a few blond jokes back at base after that.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:16 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
905 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Coppers be grand lads. You do get the odd newb on the job but in fairness to them, the old days of a sergeant on supervision are few and far between due to lack of numbers. The same is always true. Be respectful, if there is a question, pull to the side, stop the bike and take the lid off. This goes for every country I've ever been stopped in. Everyone has to learn and if they see a smiling face it makes it easier for them.

I'm not so sure about the insurance not being checkable from pulse lads. I know I was stopped in the cage and gave the previous years company rather than the current and he came back after the first radio call saying it wasn't correct.

Also, they are all 'Guard'....they get uppity if you call any of them 'ban guard'. Especially the lads with stubble.

In all fairness, the above has resulted in 22 years on the road with 3 stops, 1 for undertaking on a TS125 trailie in dublin by a couple of plain clothes lads in an Orion, let go as soon as I wasnt a knob. 1 for flat out on the mullingar bypass on an RS125 Ape (which in fairness was a trap because the squad car was under the first bridge and the laser was about 2k further down)....but when the Sgt saw how little traffic there was (no one passed at all during our little 'chat')...he told me to keep it below 70 and I'd be fine. Last 1 coming off the beach in Rossnowlagh in Donegal on a sumo, I assume he just wanted to make sure it was a road legal bike and he genuinely was both surprised and very polite when I produced tax, license and insurance on the spot.

Was stopped by a bike guard once just to check the chop out and ask me a few questions about it, purely out of curiousity, and was waved through another check while on the chop, so treat them as you would like to be treated and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Just stay away from certain places and don't act the prat in front of them. If you didn't notice them and get caught, be apologetic and suck up the justice if they decide to admin it. Admit you were a knob and shouldn't have been a knob and won't be a knob again ...... (today or in the same place).

I know I'm gonna get some grief but fuckit.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bikes, discs, insurance