Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Old 9th July 2018, 10:23 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15488 from WW
1,447 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: ST1300
Default Norway Planning

Starting to look at doing a big trip to Norway for a month next year. Young lad getting married this year so trips are curtailed so going to make up for it next year. Done a search on the forums and could only find a 2006 post from Snowman.

Anybody been there recently? I hear its expensive, but this is a trip I've wanted to do for a long while on the Pan so biting the bullet for next year. Thinking of heading across Scotland to ferry across to Norway and then just driving. So any experiences that might help, love to hear. Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 10:37 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 13086 from Dublin
118 posts since Nov 2008
Motorbike: Tuono Racing, CBR 954rr
Default Re: Norway Planning

Pretty sure the ferry service doesn't exist anymore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newc...tavanger_ferry
Old 9th July 2018, 10:43 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38318
1 posts since Jun 2018
Motorbike: Honda cbr650f

Have a look at wildbad touring on ytube they done Norway looks amazing but v expensive
Old 9th July 2018, 11:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,712 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Originally Posted by Greyskipper
Starting to look at doing a big trip to Norway for a month next year. Young lad getting married this year so trips are curtailed so going to make up for it next year. Done a search on the forums and could only find a 2006 post from Snowman.

Anybody been there recently? I hear its expensive, but this is a trip I've wanted to do for a long while on the Pan so biting the bullet for next year. Thinking of heading across Scotland to ferry across to Norway and then just driving. So any experiences that might help, love to hear. Thanks

The most experienced guy i know is Gary from Overlanders AMI Gorey.....he has taken a few groups to norway acting as guide, he would be my best bet...... if you are passing let me know , i can have a word...
Old 9th July 2018, 11:07 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,332 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

Bogman did Norway some years ago. He should be able to give you a few pointers
Old 9th July 2018, 11:10 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

one of the guys from MCN did a big trip to norway last Sept, looks great in fairness....

here is the link for day 1, at the bottom there is day 2 and so on...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...kapp-part-one/

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:55 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2020 from Mayo
434 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

Myself & a mate made a trip across europe that included Denmark, southern Sweden & Norway last year. Norway was our favorite for roads, pussie etc and we didnít see quarter of it. Price wise itís on a par with here for most things. I found accommodation to be cheaper, eating out much the same, fuel slightly dearer but pints were Ä 9.00 each. Didnít stop us having a good few though. Donít think there are passenger ferries from UK anymore so thatís your first decision- ride there across Europe or use overlanders or such like. Weíll both be back to ride up the west coast across to Finland & down into Eastern Europe.
Old 10th July 2018, 12:24 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26492
1,510 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: BMW K100LT92 K100RT84
Modifications: Wear and tear

First thing you will find when you get to Scotland is there is no ferry to Norway.

Hasn't been one for years so you either go long way round or use Overlanders.

Unfortunate so Overlanders is a good option.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:03 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
524 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by Palto
Have a look at wildbad touring on ytube they done Norway looks amazing but v expensive
Definitely look at the Wildbad tour. Search for RICHY VIDA

One thing that he mentioned in the video was the timing. If you go too early in the year a lot of the passes and ferries are closed. If you go bang in the middle of summer its probably going to be pissing rain. Apparently there's a sweet spot, where you can be more or less guaranteed dry weather but the passes and ferries are still open.
Sorry cant recollect which months they were but watch the vids and I am sure he mentions this.

Last edited by efanton; 10th July 2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10th July 2018, 03:19 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5948 from the bog , rathnagan , kildare
453 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: Dr350,klx250,T100
Modifications: dynojets and pipes

Use overlanders and fly in ..much easier and more time to explore ..i did it a few years back , amazing place and epic roads ..just head up the E6 and turn left for foird land . Last time I was there fuel was 2:15 a litre
Old 10th July 2018, 09:43 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Thanks guys, didnt realise the ferries had stopped from Scotland and yes RR had heard about the guys in Gorey and I'll be down that way in the next week or so.
As I say I'm starting to look at the trip now so that I can get a good idea of all the options. Going to go through that link tonight Duke
Thats good to hear Vroomb heard it was a lot more expensive. Afraid I'll only be window shopping on the pussie as I'll have her indoors on the back
Old 10th July 2018, 11:51 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16009
286 posts since May 2009

I did the trip a few years ago. 12 countries, 12000 km, over 6 weeks.

Awesome place, great roads, camped so not to expensive. Drove to the very top Nordkapp.

You can takes ferry directly to Norway bit it's a cargo ferry with 12 passengers max. A bit expensive though.

I went via England, Amsterdam, Germany Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, (drove around Russia owned wee province) into Poland, Germany, Amsterdam, UK and home again.

Roads were incredible. Loads of tunnels but do the over the mountain roads instead as 26km of a tunnel is cold and boring.

Wild camping was great and some of the best people you could find

Last edited by cass; 11th July 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11th July 2018, 08:52 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2020 from Mayo
434 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400

Passengers not allowed on cargo ferry anymore so that’s out. Like Cass I rode across UK, overnight ferry from hull to Rotterdam, crossed Holland , Germany, Eastern Denmark, Sweden, Norway & back down other side of Denmark / Germany etc. As Cass says plan your route to avoid tunnels - great roads there.
Greyskipper, I’m laughing here about pussie.On biker.ie, this refers to the great views of the terrain & countryside- it’s automatically changed by auto txt.

Last edited by vroombandit; 11th July 2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:39 PM
Supporter

Ha ha, yep only remembered when i pressed submit, seen it often enough.

Had a look at those vids last night and only made me more committed to the trip.

Originally Posted by vroombandit
Passengers not allowed on cargo ferry anymore so thatís out. Like Cass I rode across UK, overnight ferry from hull to Rotterdam, crossed Holland , Germany, Eastern Denmark, Sweden, Norway & back down other side of Denmark / Germany etc. As Cass says plan your route to avoid tunnels - great roads there.
Greyskipper, Iím laughing here about pussie.On biker.ie, this refers to the great views of the terrain & countryside- itís automatically changed by auto txt.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:03 PM
Resident Sheep Shagger

Biker.ie Member No. 5869 from Cork, no excuses
20,506 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: Orange Flymo & a few

Expensive, moderately, shop for booze and food in Rema and Rema, infrastructure is first class, roads are sooooo twisty, cops are so observant, if speeding expect a hefty fine at point of departure, helicopters monitoring, yes, you heard me correctly, seen road checks checking exhausts for excessive decibels, worth it, absolute fucking right, do not miss out on Lofoten Island, its wet there every second day, rode there twice, once up through Umea and Kiruna in Sweden, the other twisting my way up the fjords in Norway, put Storforsen Waterfall on ur bucket list, in Sweden but we'll worth diverting... Charles
Old 12th July 2018, 08:18 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 3741
2 posts since Sep 2006

I did it last year, went the Poland, Finland, Lapland way, over in to Norway up as far as Bodo. Weather got very wet so I was advised to spend time south.
Came home over Malmo to Demmark, the brigde was great cost about Ä30 for me and the bike. I found Finland and Sweeden as expensive. plenty of Hotels.
One warning is the OFF Sales close at 15:30 on a Saturday and closed all day Sunday.
I was 5 weeks away.
Go for it and enjoy
Old 13th July 2018, 12:03 AM
Supporter

Thanks Bogman, I have my own speed check on the pillion, dig in the kidneys if she feels its too fast.

Originally Posted by bogman
Expensive, moderately, shop for booze and food in Rema and Rema, infrastructure is first class, roads are sooooo twisty, cops are so observant, if speeding expect a hefty fine at point of departure, helicopters monitoring, yes, you heard me correctly, seen road checks checking exhausts for excessive decibels, worth it, absolute fucking right, do not miss out on Lofoten Island, its wet there every second day, rode there twice, once up through Umea and Kiruna in Sweden, the other twisting my way up the fjords in Norway, put Storforsen Waterfall on ur bucket list, in Sweden but we'll worth diverting... Charles
Old 13th July 2018, 12:06 AM
Supporter

Seems to be a bit hit and miss with the weather, bit like here in recent years

Originally Posted by joe
I did it last year, went the Poland, Finland, Lapland way, over in to Norway up as far as Bodo. Weather got very wet so I was advised to spend time south.
Came home over Malmo to Demmark, the brigde was great cost about Ä30 for me and the bike. I found Finland and Sweeden as expensive. plenty of Hotels.
One warning is the OFF Sales close at 15:30 on a Saturday and closed all day Sunday.
I was 5 weeks away.
Go for it and enjoy
Old 13th July 2018, 01:42 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
524 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by Greyskipper

Seems to be a bit hit and miss with the weather, bit like here in recent years
That's the point I made earlier. If you go mid summer its 50/50 as to whether you get heavy rain or not.

When planning his route RichyVida was in contact with a local biker in Norway who knew the route well. Apparently there is a sweet spot in the year where the ferries and passes have opened but you are unlikely to get rain (or at least heavy rain).
RichyVida definitely mentions this in his video
Old 13th July 2018, 04:13 PM
Resident Rainmaker

Biker.ie Member No. 10326 from Cork
2,296 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: XRV750,CBX1000,DKW,BSAA10
Modifications: None

Did the Nordkapp a few years ago, wasn't overly impressed, my advice would be to tour the Fjordlands, and not bother with the Nordkapp as Rome is closer to Oslo than the Nordkapp, north of the Fjordlands is very boring riding, with 80km speed limits and, as Bogman said, very observant cops, great if you have tons of times and deep pockets (it is expensive), but otherwise, it can get dull after a few days riding. Oh, and it rains more than Ireland.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Tags
norway, planning