Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 6th November 2018, 04:50 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,962 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Default Live TV coming for Isle of Man TT in 2019?

Next year’s Isle of Man TT could be the first to be watched live around the globe as a new broadcast deal looks set to revolutionise the way fans interact with the 112 year-old event.

Click the image to open in full size.
Michael Dunlop at St Ninian's crossroads in Senior TT Race: Photo credit Dave Kneen

Two Hollywood-based companies have formed a new Isle of Man company – Global Motorsports Ventures – to develop content for TV, film, online streaming and gaming platforms.

Pilgrim Media and Digital Circus have partnered in the new company to produce a comprehensive coverage package of the TT, including the groundbreaking live broadcast of the 2019 event.

Pilgrim is run by Craig Piligian responsible for hit series including American Chopper and Fast N’ Loud and the CEO of Digital Media Circus is former Discovery Channel President Clark Bunting whose many credits include The Cold Blue and Yellowstone Live.

No confirmation of the channels or media for the live or highlights packages in 2019 have been confirmed at this stage. A new contract to distribute TT TV coverage was signed with NorthOne Television in July this year after a tender process that commenced in May 2018.

NorthOne sold exclusive UK TV rights to ITV4 from 2009 to 2018.

Isle of Man Government Department of Enterprise Minister Laurence Skelly said:
“The Department will continue with all the existing rights contracts in place – such as those to produce the highlights programmes and distribute these globally.”
Mr Skelly also confirmed that Global would not be receiving any financial aid from the Isle of Man Government. In an interview with Manx Radio, Mr Skelly described the deal as giving the company a year to bring their plans to fruition.

The feasibility of broadcasting the TT races live has always been severely limited by the nature of the 37-mile TT circuit. The challenge of transmitting live images from multiple remote locations and a helicopter has so far been seen as the main commercial, as well as technical, hurdle.

But a comprehensive and successful test of transmitting live pictures from the most challenging TT locations and the helicam during TT2018 has illustrated that live coverage can be viable. The 2018 tests using the latest broadcasting technology, were conducted by the consortium responsible for TT TV production, at no cost to the IOM Government, during each day’s racing and witnessed with some amazement by guests in the VIP hospitality unit.
Old 6th November 2018, 06:11 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38107 from Co Derry
38 posts since Mar 2018
Motorbike: S1000r
Modifications: Usual
Default Re: Live TV coming for Isle of Man TT in 2019?

Don't want to see live broadcasting of the TT.Opens the floodgates for the health & safety brigade to get involved or races being scheduled for maximum coverage.Think the coverage is fine as it is.
Old 6th November 2018, 06:34 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34912 from Dublin
46 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: cbr
Modifications: Fluffy socks

Nope 😱
Old 6th November 2018, 06:57 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,884 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Pilgrim is run by Craig Piligian responsible for hit series including American Chopper and Fast N’ Loud

I was on board till i saw that
Old 6th November 2018, 09:35 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,386 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

There goes the neighborhood....... all is grand till pay to view get involved they have Fecked up motoGP, world superbikes has been ruined, even BSB is boring these days, cant watch any of it anymore without yawning. Please F~~~ off and leave the sacred TT alone radio coverage is more exciting with a couple of well placed webcams etc... currently all available, it wont work anyway with red flags etc.... weather etc...... and other issues so we are safe enough
Old 6th November 2018, 10:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23867 from Lios na Scéithe,
1,301 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: RSV1000
Modifications: Debit card

Originally Posted by Vjmc.Cork View Post
Pilgrim is run by Craig Piligian responsible for hit series including American Chopper and Fast N’ Loud

I was on board till i saw that
Same as.

You can imagine Hutchy coming in to pit for a new rear tyre and that prick that always goes " yooooo" while opening a tin of beer suggests he fits a sissy bar instead while the rest of the merican hangers on nod and say "cuel"
Old 7th November 2018, 11:15 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35390 from Clare
304 posts since Oct 2015

Originally Posted by Admin View Post
The feasibility of broadcasting the TT races live has always been severely limited by the nature of the 37-mile TT circuit. The challenge of transmitting live images from multiple remote locations and a helicopter has so far been seen as the main commercial, as well as technical, hurdle.
Cycling races like the tour de france etc have been broadcasting races like this for years I can't believe this is a real excuse.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:01 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,884 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by Blueb6 View Post
Cycling races like the tour de france etc have been broadcasting races like this for years I can't believe this is a real excuse.
Totally different scenario.TDF has all the action in one place,more or less
while the TT had it spread out over 37+ miles.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5574 from Clonmel
803 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Yamaha R1, FZR250 exup.

im not so sure on the live broadcasting aspect, as said above it can drag on and on for hours with red flags etc, not to mention the issues around live broadcasting of fatalities, which unfortunately are an almost annual occurance on the island.

I think the current highlights package is perfectly adequate, condenses the action and keeps it entertaining and interesting, but maybe that's just me??.
Old 7th November 2018, 02:20 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 3823 from Dublin
946 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: HRC Blade
Modifications: None yet

Don't think there's a need for Live TV feed, highlights package is well produced. Would it affect attendances on the Island???? IOM will be quick to knock that if it affects their tourist numbers and spend
Old 7th November 2018, 05:40 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,630 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

With 5G rolling out it should be possible to do properly
Old 7th November 2018, 08:18 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25594 from Kildare
611 posts since Mar 2011

" i don't know what 5g is."
Old 7th November 2018, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,347 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

Its definitely COMING LIVE to ITV in 2019 . Its all virtually signed sealed and delivered. Big announcement in early December planned. Its being sponsored by 4 very rich Isle of Man businessmen , Eric Faragher, a Mr.Kingswood , David Lancaster and a Mr.Cowles . Its happening folks , its a dead cert.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:17 AM
child prodigy

Biker.ie Member No. 2469 from Ballycraic
11,272 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: 865 Tractor
Modifications: 8-ball choke knob

For years I listened in live on the radio, you got the grá on each lap as they moved between the various commentary points along the circuit on every lap. The live timing net link is a welcome bonus. Probably set in my ways, but that's my annual TT buzz for donkeys years and I do look forward to watching edited highlights later on ITV4
Old 8th November 2018, 01:06 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35951 from dublin
133 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: 500 bullet jawa250
Modifications: some

Originally Posted by NODSTER View Post
For years I listened in live on the radio, you got the grá on each lap as they moved between the various commentary points along the circuit on every lap. The live timing net link is a welcome bonus. Probably set in my ways, but that's my annual TT buzz for donkeys years and I do look forward to watching edited highlights later on ITV4
cant bate de aul wireless

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays