Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 25th July 2018, 05:03 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps
Default WSBK - Hazlet in for 2019 - Sykes Out

there's a lot who dont like Sykes here, for me, id be swaying the Sykes camp,. I dont have an issue with him.

granted whatever the fcuk has been going on in KRT has caused issues, and being beaten by Rae all of the time cant be easy.

so what do you make of Haslam's move to the KRT team ? I just thought it was an odd one , regardless of sykes going. What am i missing... is this a progression from BSB or what ?
Old 25th July 2018, 10:23 PM
Resident Sheep Shagger

Biker.ie Member No. 5869 from Cork, no excuses
20,526 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: Orange Flymo & a few
Default Re: WSBK - Hazlet in for 2019 - Sykes Out

There's some that don't like me also but so bloody what, life's too short for bitching, he probably puts too many miles up and that upsets some
Old 25th July 2018, 10:31 PM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,763 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Haslam has done well on the Kawasaki in BSB the last few years and had a couple of good wildcard outings in WSBK but probably most important he’ll be just delighted to find himself back in WSBK in a fantastic team on a great bike and won’t cause any trouble in the team and especially for Rea
Old 26th July 2018, 12:02 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 34869
19 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: tz350h yamaha

Haslam is 35 years old now and wasnt good enough to compete at the front of wsb years ago when he was at his peak. Dont understand the appointment at all. Is a wasted opportunity for a younger hungrier rider and knocks another nail in the coffin of a dying series.
Old 26th July 2018, 01:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31951 from limerick
626 posts since Aug 2013
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZX10R kz1000 gs750
Modifications: go go juice in the tank

I think Sykes jus can’t cut it anymore. He’s had a few great results but most times he’s finishing down the field 3 rds 4 ths 5 ths even further back on the same bike as rae who finishes consistently on the podium mainly top spot.. proves he’s not as good as Rae .. must be a bitter pill to swallow for him
Old 26th July 2018, 01:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6387 from Dublin 16
1,534 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: '07 TDM 900,'00 Cub90, RGV250 (in a box)
Modifications: 900 has a scottoiler/centre stand/high screen/L.E.

I don't think Haslam will do any better than Sykes. It might be a marketing thing were Haslam will make more positive media coverage than Sykes...
Old 26th July 2018, 01:48 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 4265

i just dont get the haslam move at all....not even with marketing.
Old 26th July 2018, 02:45 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36943
117 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: ZX12r, 7/11 Streetfighter

i don't get The Haslam signing either. makes no sense. was a perfect opening for a young gun, like Jake Dixon or Brad Ray for example. Get them there young and hungry.

Sykes also had a marriage breakup to deal with??? can't have helped either.
Old 26th July 2018, 03:57 PM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,763 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Haslam will get similar results to Sykes next year but won't cause any waves within the team simples. A lot of the four wheeled racing teams employ this to keep main man happy and not sniff around other teams.

But I agree with some of the comments above should have put a young hungry rider on the second bike.
Old 26th July 2018, 04:27 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265

suppose, a lot to contend with, busting up with the Mrs as well, oppp crew cheef been a pit of a cnut too apparently., didnt know that , makes you think further.....

anyone see chaz davies on eurosport a couple fo weeks ago, basically challenged rae to ride another bike and see how well he does, or somthing to that affect. was quite amusing. he was serious, but in a funny way. More or less saying, why take the easy ride. At the same time him and Melandri were told to get the boat by ducati - they werent riding the new v4 for next year until they signed their 2019 contracts.
Old 26th July 2018, 05:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,258 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

Originally Posted by Duke RR
suppose, a lot to contend with, busting up with the Mrs as well, oppp crew cheef been a pit of a cnut too apparently., didnt know that , makes you think further.....

anyone see chaz davies on eurosport a couple fo weeks ago, basically challenged rae to ride another bike and see how well he does, or somthing to that affect. was quite amusing. he was serious, but in a funny way. More or less saying, why take the easy ride. At the same time him and Melandri were told to get the boat by ducati - they werent riding the new v4 for next year until they signed their 2019 contracts.
Does he forget Rea won races on the utter pissbox Fireblade that nobody else could do anything on? It was a slow piece of junk. If he had moved to a decent bike earlier he'd have even more wins - it's not just the bike, the Ducati is fully factory backed and more than likely equally as good.
Old 26th July 2018, 07:26 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31951 from limerick
626 posts since Aug 2013
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZX10R kz1000 gs750
Modifications: go go juice in the tank

I think chaz is just worried if Rae stays with the Kawasaki he ll never win the title. Rae rarely makes mistakes.. Chaz is a great rider but he does make more mistakes....some his own fault....let's face it. No one can touch Rae at the moment....even starting on the 3rd row in 9th by the end of the 1st or 2nd lap he's up with the front runners... He's some fukn operator....lol
Old 27th July 2018, 09:42 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
858 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Would have loved to see Eugene on the zx10...north v south....

I like Tom..think he's a bit soft and gets upset easy tho...
Old 27th July 2018, 12:21 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265

its all a bit weird......

@jack stow, now there's a a rider and bike id like to see, good point.

here is an interview with James Whitam and WSBK , i like Jim, but i dont necessarily agree with all he has to say here

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2018...ll%20pay%20off

Ex-WorldSBK racer tells all about KRT’s latest signing

Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK announced this week that Leon Haslam will be joining three-time world champion Jonathan Rea on the ZX-10RR in 2019, as they continue on their pursuit of another riders, teams and manufacturers world title. Making up an all British squad once again – following the departure of Tom Sykes – they will be a force to be reckoned with heading into next season.

But what do the experts think? Was it a good move, and will Haslam be able to challenge Rea? WorldSBK.com caught up with former WorldSBK race winner and Eurosport commentator James Whitham, who gives his thoughts as to why it’s a good move.

Haslam and Rea have a good relationship – they get on
Whitham explains how important this team dynamic could be: “I think on a personal level - it’s going to be a good team. They really get on well, they’ve been mates going back years so I think it’s going to work, and it’s just a brilliant opportunity for Leon.”

But will tensions rise throughout the year? “When you’re off your bike, you want someone you get along well with, so I think they will. I think they’ll manage to stay friends throughout the season, but a lot depends with what happens on track. They know each other well enough, and they are both easy enough to get on with. Jonny is a laid back character and gets on with his work, as is Leon – but Leon does get really serious about his racing.”

One thing the pair will have however, is respect for each other: “Respect is always important, I think most riders have that. You might not like the rider as a person, but you have the respect for them – you’ve got to respect them for racing at that level.”

Haslam is a real grafter
One of the qualities the British rider is renowned for is the work and hours he puts in, which Whitham explains: “The thing about Leon is that he’ll put as much effort in as it takes. One of the reason’s Kawasaki are so keen on Leon is his performance and hard work he puts into the Suzuka 8 Hour Race. He’s still quick, he’s a real grafter and he will always work hard.”

Giving an example of this, he continues: “Look at the amount of effort he puts in – he raced in BSB at Knockhill and then set off on Sunday night to Japan to go testing for Suzuka. He’s not lazy, which is a strong reason he’ll be a great asset to the team.”

He will never ever give up
Continuing onto the same theme, it’s clear Haslam’s never back down attitude is well known within the paddocks: “Haslam is like a dog with a bone, he’s a growler, he’ll bite and chew and work until he gets it. People like that element about him in domestic championships, and they’ll like it on the world stage. He has a lot of experience too, as has Jonny so it’ll be a cracking team!”

It’s a great chance for Leon
“It’s a little bit of a shock”, begins Whitham as he talks through the decision to sign Haslam. “Because when you drop from WorldSBK to BSB you expect your WorldSBK time to be over – especially at Leon’s age (35). Usually you wouldn’t expect to get another chance, especially on possibly the best machinery, so from Leon’s point of view it’s brilliant. It’s the last chance - I would say - he has to win a world championship. But he knows that and we know he’ll grab the opportunity with both hands, it was probably unexpected to him as well!”

But keeping realistic about his title chances, he adds: “He knows the Kawasaki, he’s ridden with WorldSBK electronics a few times, and he seems to be able to adapt to any bike. But of course it’s difficult to look past Rea for the title, and I’d say that about any rider.”

But he has some big shoes to fill
Not forgetting Tom Sykes, who is parting ways with Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK at the end of this year after nine seasons, Whitham explains how Haslam has some big shoes to fill: “It’s been a successful team throughout the years. Let’s not forget Sykes has had a good run, there’s a lot of people who would swap their results list for Sykes’, including me! He isn’t a slow rider, he’s still a blindingly quick rider, when everything is right for him he’s one of the fastest men in the world there’s no question about that.”
Old 27th July 2018, 12:53 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23845 from carlow
465 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Street Trip, CBR 250

Haslam was brought in as a clear number 2 to Rea. He'll be happy enough just having a ride on a good bike and won't do anything to rock the boat. Sykes on the other hand was never going to be happy being number 2 to anybody and the relationship with the team seems to have deteriorated in the last while.

Where will Eugene be next season?
Old 28th July 2018, 09:17 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,655 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Haslam probably also much cheaper that Sykes and quite possibly able to deliver just as good results
Old 28th July 2018, 09:34 AM
I like Bikes I do

Biker.ie Member No. 21686 from Sydney
2,898 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: Yamasaki Ninjablade
Modifications: Air con and a sunroof....

Originally Posted by sub zero
Haslam was brought in as a clear number 2 to Rea. He'll be happy enough just having a ride on a good bike and won't do anything to rock the boat. Sykes on the other hand was never going to be happy being number 2 to anybody and the relationship with the team seems to have deteriorated in the last while.

Where else is there for him to go to? Yam and Kawa are out, Ducati might be an option if Melandri doesn’t sign but not likely, Honda, BMW or MV, not much better than the Aprilia, he’d be better off staying put, better the Devil you know.

Last edited by vinnym; 28th July 2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 28th July 2018, 10:40 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
793 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Originally Posted by sub zero

Spot on . All they wanted was a number 2 . Wouldnt be suprised if johnny had a big hand in picking him.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
2019, hazlet, sykes, wsbk

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed