Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Choppers Cruisers and Streetfighters

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 28th October 2017, 08:34 AM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur's Avatar
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
620 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750
Default 2002 dragster 650

going to look at a 2002 dragster 650 some day next week. just wondering what people think of that model bike. don't have any pics yet. as I have always had either sports or naked bikes I am unsure about cruisers.
so a few general questions:
what are common problems with this model?
what are they like as a daily commuter?
what are general overall thoughts on the model?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th October 2017, 09:49 AM
johnny b johnny b is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,804 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur
going to look at a 2002 dragster 650 some day next week. just wondering what people think of that model bike. don't have any pics yet. as I have always had either sports or naked bikes I am unsure about cruisers.
so a few general questions:
what are common problems with this model?
what are they like as a daily commuter?
what are general overall thoughts on the model?
They are a nice bus but you will pribly find it underpowered.
At one stage they were learner friendly with the power to weight ratio so may have been a few learners hands so check for drop damage and bodges.

They can burn oil a bit especially at higher miles, usually rings.
The brakes are just mediocre.

It would be grand as a daily plodder but may be a bit cumbersome in traffic.


They are a heavy bike with not loads of power, they dont handle brilliantly or brake well, they are for easy cruising rather than sporty riding.
If the riding position works for you and you have a light traffic commute it could work but there are better buses for the job.

If you like the look and riding style go for it but if its a solid commuter you want for winter get something with better weather protection.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th October 2017, 10:28 AM
Bunk Moreland Bunk Moreland is offline
Novice Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34531 from Dublin
68 posts since Apr 2015
Motorbike: VFR1200 & Bandit 650
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

Originally Posted by johnny b
They are a nice bus but you will pribly find it underpowered.
At one stage they were learner friendly with the power to weight ratio so may have been a few learners hands so check for drop damage and bodges.

They can burn oil a bit especially at higher miles, usually rings.
The brakes are just mediocre.

It would be grand as a daily plodder but may be a bit cumbersome in traffic.


They are a heavy bike with not loads of power, they dont handle brilliantly or brake well, they are for easy cruising rather than sporty riding.
If the riding position works for you and you have a light traffic commute it could work but there are better buses for the job.

If you like the look and riding style go for it but if its a solid commuter you want for winter get something with better weather protection.
Not a bad looking machine even if cruisers aren't your cuppa tae, they're ok to drive without being anything special, lots of chrome to keep clean and rust free.
The front brake feels like it came off an office chair, rear drum brake is actually fine.
Not the most agile in heavy city centre type traffic, its quite a long bike with a big turning circle, but normal traffic or motorways are no problem.

My missus drove one for a couple of years as a daily driver into Dublin city centre without ever missing a beat, a good decent solid reliable but underpowered machine
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th October 2017, 02:38 PM
Doomdom Doomdom is offline
Clubman
 
Biker.ie Member No. 31714 from near Duleek
239 posts since Jun 2013
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

two lads from our office are commuting on them to work.
None of them had any problem with bike so far.

I had a go on on of them and breaks are not great especially if you coming from sport bike.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th October 2017, 04:10 PM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur's Avatar
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
620 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

regardless of what I go to all cruisers will be a big step down from a sports bike?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th October 2017, 04:41 PM
Gixxer's Avatar
Gixxer Gixxer is offline
Resident gynaecologist
 
Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,383 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

If it's got spoked wheels, make sure there are no loose or snapped spokes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th November 2017, 07:10 PM
I polished one off to a dude's Avatar
I polished one off to a dude I polished one off to a dude is offline
Buswald's Finest
 
Biker.ie Member No. 21188
4,731 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: same as my friend iano
Default Re: 2002 dragster 650

Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur
regardless of what I go to all cruisers will be a big step down from a sports bike?
tell that to my rocket iii

well.. if you're into sport bikes for acceleration and speed rather than handling.

but yeah dragstar 650 good solid reliable bike will go forever. rear brake is a drum so not great easy lock, spokes need to be kept tight otherwise can wear the rim and not stay tight.
never had a prob with mine but i hear the reg/rec can go since it's located up front of engine right in the way of shite coming up off front wheel.
perfect for learners unless they're completely useless (and shouldn't be on a bike then) imo but if it's for you with your z750...get the 1100 at the very least if not the 1300 or 1600 range models

Last edited by I polished one off to a dude; 8th November 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Choppers Cruisers and Streetfighters

Tags
2002, 650, dragster


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale : Aprillia mille for sale 2002 smithy Buying and Selling 9 22nd August 2015 02:33 PM
For Sale : 2002 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Track Bike Gixerboy69 Buying and Selling 5 30th May 2015 10:05 PM
For Sale : K&N 204 oil filter to suit Honda '97 - '07 scumfrog Buying and Selling 12 27th June 2013 02:54 PM
Ducati owners need Help Fr_Jack The Workshop 54 6th April 2013 03:42 PM
2002 VFR for sale vireo Buying and Selling 9 26th May 2007 02:07 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed