Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 11th March 2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,630 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Default One piece textile suits....

Have been looking at one piece textile suits with interest over the last few years, there are a few available but also a lot that seem to not be in production anymore.
I know most people will buy two piece suits, textile for winter leather for summer and companies may not sell enough to justify manufacturing but I am intrigued.

Has anyone got a one piece suit and what are they like to live with?
They seem to be handier and quicker to put on and most brands say they are warm which is good for our little country.
Water proofing seems to be an issue but with suits costing from 250 to 1500e there are different reports.

These are the ones I have found so far but if anyone has info on others this would help.

The Olympia Odyssey can still be got on some websites for 450dollars plus shipping and tax.
Im a short arse so the ability to hem this suit is ideal but its a fair chunk money to spend without being able to see it.
The reviews are good but I think this company has gone under???
https://www.motosport.com/olympia-od...vent-tech-suit

The Spada system got rave reviews from most and was cheap at £200 but is sold out everywhere, yep its booring as fuck looking but lets get things straight here, no one buys a onepeice textile suit to look good.
Comfort (like a onsie) and waterproofing is more important.
Spada seem to have a new suit on the way for 2018 but its in a worse color... and only one color is available (god dam cafe racing beardy hipsters!)

£300 for the new suit so its a step up in price but its called the Stelvio Hydrologic suit so one would hope it is waterproof!
I have had a some spada kit over the years and to be honest I am always impressed at the price point and the funtionality.
Its not available yet but Im hoping for a short leg option.
http://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/produ...rologic%20Suit

Joe Rocket Survivor suit 350e plus delivery and tax
Again another one piece textile suit that seems to not be made anymore but is available in some websites.
Its arguably the best looking suit but every review says it leaks at the crotch....plus the hi viz is not avalable in the short leg... us smallies need to be seen ffs
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-survivor-suit

The Spidi Admiral 600e pops up from time to time but its another suit that seems to have disappeared from production.... maybe this isnt such a good thing to buy???
https://www.spidi.com/eu_en/admiral-e-type-6.html

Aerostitch seem to be the Creme of one peice suits.
Made to order, stupid expensive at 1200dollars before shipping and taxes (us only) but the reviews are very good.
The only reservation I would have (apart from the price) is most people who buy this top end stuff say its good even if its shit so they justify their purchase.... you know the type.
At this price though you may look at Klim two piece.
http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/guid...one-piece.html

I have decent enough gear to do me summer and winter so this would be an extra piece of kit to kick in if the current stuff gets soaked and herself will fit in it too (so I am basically buying gear for her that I can wear ).

I am not Japcati so I wont buy more than one textile suit
Old 11th March 2018, 09:39 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 32152 from Tipp
89 posts since Sep 2013
Motorbike: beemer 1200
Modifications: botox, nose job
Default Re: One peice textile suits....

Aeostich Roadcrafter Classic boss, go for it
Old 11th March 2018, 10:50 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 20355 from Midlands
635 posts since Feb 2010
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Triumph Explorer,Rocket 3
Modifications: Loads, Loads, Loads.

Originally Posted by hexhead
Aeostich Roadcrafter Classic boss, go for it
Found the Aero 1 piece was very comfortable, no problem walking in it:

Old 11th March 2018, 11:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
538 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack n' crack wax.

Goretex put a lot of money into R&D so if I'm paying big bucks for something waterproof, that's where my money goes.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:14 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,444 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

+1 for Goretex if you're spending big money.

Now, it'll all depend on what you want to do really. If you're touring for days, it's probably worth the investment.

If you're just doing spins or commuting, it might be cheaper to go with a normal jocks/pants and then rain proof gear if there's bad weather.

I have a cheap Richa textil jocks that's actually very decent, even in long very wet trips I haven't had any leaks, pants however I haven't found any that actually do the job and so I always have one of them camping rain overpants that I can put on even over the boots and they do the job just fine.

A lot of people will swear by Rukka stuff, don't have any experience but they do look like the biz and since they're multilayer you can use them all year round...
Old 12th March 2018, 10:21 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35703
25 posts since Jan 2016

Aerostich R3 owner here.

Things to consider with the Aerostich:
- no insulation layer, most gear has thermal layers, you dont get this with Aerostich, but the logic is that you're wearing standard clothes underneath. Most days for me it's shirt + light jocks on underneath, for the very cold days I had a heated jocks on. (The Aerostich has a nice hall-pass which brings the cable out through the pocket.). Can't comment what it's like for the summer yet.
- armour very bulky - the Aerostich supplied armour is very bulky, they manufacture their own, and while they reckon it scores better than the CE D3O stuff, it's what make the suit very cumbersome initially. I swapped the shoulders/knees/elbows for D3O armour and it makes it much more comfortable. I've still got their back and hip protectors in, but may look to swap these for D3O shortly also. The suit itself is nowhere near as stiff as the reviews state, just the bulky armour makes it seem so.
- sizing, I think with any 1 piece you need to be more careful about getting sizing right, but they are very good about working with you to get the right measurements and advising you on right size suit.
- price/delivery - Ideally you want to have someone flying back from the US with room in a suitcase, or coincide a trip to the US with getting one. No way I'd have bought one if I had to ship it straight to Ireland and pay the full duties etc.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:28 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,362 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

The guy on the SPADA stand at the 2017 NEC show said they were releasing a new system suit due to popularity, send them an e-mail possibly and ask when will it be available. Have been using the old one for many years now great job and reasonably priced
Old 12th March 2018, 12:07 PM
Der Alte

Biker.ie Member No. 14638 from Black Hawk, Colorado
5,237 posts since Feb 2009
Motorbike: Ducati 996, Sport 1000, H
Modifications: One or two

I've had the same Aerostich for 18 years, it now has over 250,000 miles on it. No rips or tears in the fabric although shows soem wear around the cuffs.

I've had a lot of the zippers replaced and a few of teh snaps as well. Aerostich provided the zippers and snaps free of charge and I had them installed locally.

I had mine custom fitted; was near Duluth for work and dropped by to be measured. Also got a 5% discount for ordering in their store. Received the suit about 3 weeks later.

The fabric is pretty much waterproof - the zippers are not. You'll have a crotch full of rain in a strong downpour. Fortunatly, it doesn;t rain much here.

The suit is excellent in hot temps though with good zippered venting. Riding in 115F / 47C temps in the desert is no problem for me as long as I keep moving. Gets a bit clammy when you stop or in city traffic.

Colors fade like a bitch on Aero's. Red suits are gonna be pinkish after a year or so, my black on black suit is still pretty much black with the exception of the ballistic areas which are a very light gray now.

I alwats wear a tee shirt and nylon running tights under mine; regardless of the weather, always the same thing. Works for me.

Styling: I don;t think the style of the Aero has changed since it came onto the markets 30 years ago. Looks kinda big and bulky, but like your favorite pair of Levi's, it breaks in over time and then fits great. Not very flashy styling though.

Overall; I'd probably get another one if the current suit ever wears out.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Post Re: One peice textile suits....

Originally Posted by RobbieBeGood
Goretex put a lot of money into R&D so if I'm paying big bucks for something waterproof, that's where my money goes.
As much as I like goretex they own the rights of a waterproof breathable meterial and there is others on the market like Hypora.
I may be wrong but I dont think they are pouring thousands into R&D, more likley they are raking in the proceeds of their copyright.

Originally Posted by thos
Aerostich R3 owner here.

- price/delivery - Ideally you want to have someone flying back from the US with room in a suitcase, or coincide a trip to the US with getting one. No way I'd have bought one if I had to ship it straight to Ireland and pay the full duties etc.
Thanks Thos,
As much as its not encouraging to hear you felt the need to swap out the armour I think you are right, the only way it makes sense is to take a trip to the US or have someone pick up a suit.
Paying 20% to the exchequer is not good value...

Originally Posted by VJMC
The guy on the SPADA stand at the 2017 NEC show said they were releasing a new system suit due to popularity, send them an e-mail possibly and ask when will it be available. Have been using the old one for many years now great job and reasonably priced
The Spada Stelvio Hydrologic suit is the replacement for the System but Ive been onto them and they wont do a size small or a short leg.... so I dont think i could make it fit.

Thanks Earache for the honesty on the waterproofing of the Aerostich, sound like it suits your climate better but as you know Ireland is wet even in summer.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:42 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,578 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines
Default Re: One piece textile suits....

it's paddy's day soon, just head into town and collect as many leftover leprechaun suits you can find
Old 12th March 2018, 11:02 PM
Der Alte

Biker.ie Member No. 14638 from Black Hawk, Colorado
5,237 posts since Feb 2009
Motorbike: Ducati 996, Sport 1000, H
Modifications: One or two

Originally Posted by johnny b

Thanks Earache for the honesty on the waterproofing of the Aerostich, sound like it suits your climate better but as you know Ireland is wet even in summer.

That was kinda the point I was making. I don't think I'd get an Aero if I were riding in Ireland all of the time.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:06 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
2,081 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Honda Africa Twin
Modifications: Bits & Pieces

I think 2 piece suits are the best option, so as you can mix & match leather/textile combo to suit your needs.

Got a 2 piece Richa textile set 4 years ago. jocks leaked after 1st shower, bottoms still going strong.

Got recommended Alpinestars Drystar here & they are 100% spot on.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:22 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35703
25 posts since Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Earache
That was kinda the point I was making. I don't think I'd get an Aero if I were riding in Ireland all of the time.
I think the 'wet crotch' problem has improved with the newer R3 suits. I've ridden with my suit commuting over past 5months, albeit maybe only ~5-6k, but no issue with water in the crotch or zip, or anywhere else.
Old 15th March 2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

So after all the suggestions of Rukka gear I had a look at their suit too.
Initially I could only find a goretex over suit with no protection here.
For 550e with no protection and bassically a glorified carry around breathable rain suit.
For that mooney you could get a Rukka jocks with aurmor, or most other middle of the road aurmored suits with change.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...SABEgL2kfD_BwE

But in the last few days a new goretex aurmoured suit has appeared for their 2018 line up.
At 1000e it aint cheap but the reputaion of Rukka products from users is very good.
I may wait until a few user reviews pop up to see if its 100% waterproof and worth the money.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...on=ViewProduct
Old 15th March 2018, 11:58 AM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

i cant see the advantage of a 1 pce textile (?).

i v recently bought a two piece Halvarsson " Wolf " suit from Megabikes.

i mulled over the Rukka, but the halvarsson just seemed as good as from a price point etc. Its savage kit, construction down to little detail, just got to take it off the hanger and wear it now.

Click the image to open in full size.
Textile 2-layer
Teflon coated
HI-ART® reinforced
Dryway+® laminated membrane
Outlast ® temperature-regulated removable liner, with Thinsulate ®
Adjustable CE-approved armour Level 2
Can be complemented with our CE-approved back protector
Ventilation, expanded system with open yoke at the back, contributing to increased circulation
Attachable to pants
Adjustable jocks & sleeve width
Reflectors
Removable hi-vis vest

Click the image to open in full size.
Textile 2-layer
Teflon coated
HI-ART® reinforced
Dryway+® laminated membrane
Outlast ® temperature-regulated removable liner, with Thinsulate ®
Adjustable CE-approved armour Level 2
Air vents