Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th March 2018, 10:05 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 17320 from cork
1,463 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: GSR600 , Deauville
Default Back to commuting

Been off the bike for the last couple of years due to kids and having a company work cage - changed jobs in the last few weeks so planning on going back to a bike to commute ,have an old dull-vill belong to the father that is idle for a few year that I plan to hack. I have been full time on bikes a good few time over the year but I haven’t invested in gear bar helmets (currently gt air shoei) and gloves (too fecken many) so looking at richa gore Tex jockssand pants, just wonder is the gore Tex worth the money ? Or does anyone have any recommendations? Have had the same Richa textile 2 piece the last 10 years and been great but as said it’s idle 2 years and I d like to start back with out the shitty getting to work wet days

Last edited by carrigGSR; 10th March 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:20 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,321 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana
Default Re: Back to commuting

https://www.ghostbikes.com/1647-spad...-oversuit.html

Tá sé seo iontach (this translates into Bearla as the Bogs Dollox)
Old 11th March 2018, 11:05 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 19255
69 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: Ducati Scrambler
Modifications: None - for the time being

I have Alpinestars Newland jocks and trousers which are gore tex. Use them all year round as they have removable linings. They’re still waterproof after 4 years of daily use. They’re not the cheapest but I definitely think I got my money worth
Old 11th March 2018, 12:36 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31434 from Dublin
287 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: kTm 690, kTm 990 SMR

I use a one piece race suit very day cause it's all I have that fits me now I wear it all year round with alpinestars two piece rain gear for the bad weather. Folds into nothing!
Old 11th March 2018, 01:34 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 31714 from near Duleek
227 posts since Jun 2013

I commute on Deauville all year round and i dont have any gore tex gear.
Yes goretex is worth it but to be honest i dont have a money to buy expensive jocks or jeans.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:17 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 15044 from Dublin
465 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: Yamaha Fazer 1000

no point in getting gore tex for commuting as you would go through gear quickly. I use cheap leather pants and put on rain gear over it in the rain and this set up serves me well all year round. In winter I put a layer underneath the pants. Life saver for me was heated gloves and I would recommend it for commuting
Old 11th March 2018, 07:07 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5156 from Dublin
353 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: CBR600F4i
Modifications: None yet

Have gore tex gear 10 years never let a drop thru. If ur're back on the bikes take it easy for a while, maybe take some training to ease yourself into it. lot of fucking idiots out there, take it handy
Old 12th March 2018, 10:30 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,327 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Anything wrong with your old gear? It wont go bad because it was doing nothing in a closet... so if it was fine before, it probably be grand now.

Can't go wrong with GoreTex if you can afford it, if not... just rain over-pants will do the job.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:03 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,394 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

Commute with Dainese Gore-Tex trousers daily - along with gore-tex gloves .. worth every penny - simple as

If you pay 200 for a pair of gore-tex pants, it works out at about a quid a day over the first year, and free after that :)

For commuter gear, I've found cheap stuff lasts no time, while slightly more expensive good stuff lasts many years with no noticeable wear!
Old 12th March 2018, 11:14 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37934
176 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: Previous: Kawasaki ZZR400

Originally Posted by proinnsias
Commute with Dainese Gore-Tex trousers daily - along with gore-tex gloves .. worth every penny - simple as

If you pay 200 for a pair of gore-tex pants, it works out at about a quid a day over the first year, and free after that :)

For commuter gear, I've found cheap stuff lasts no time, while slightly more expensive good stuff lasts many years with no noticeable wear!
Sorry for the noob question, but if you buy expensive Dainese Gore-Tex gear, can you just get into work in heavy rain and sit down at your desk (if you work in an office) without changing into other clothes? ..or how does this work in practice?
Old 12th March 2018, 11:56 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by SandR
Sorry for the noob question, but if you buy expensive Dainese Gore-Tex gear, can you just get into work in heavy rain and sit down at your desk (if you work in an office) without changing into other clothes? ..or how does this work in practice?
I commute to work on the bike rain or shine and I have my Richa jocks and roadskin pants, which look like regular cargo pants but with all the protection you need... again, if it's pooring, I'll put some over-pants to get me 100% waterproof and then my TCX boots X-Blend which also look like regular boots (for the most parts).

I have no issues weather the pants and boots all day long, do have an extra pair of pants and shoes at work just in case but never had to used them thus far (for the past 3 years commuting).

Depends a lot on your dress code as well I guess... but it's 100% possible
Old 12th March 2018, 12:23 PM
Clubman

176 posts since Jan 2018

Originally Posted by RTV
I commute to work on the bike rain or shine and I have my Richa jocks and roadskin pants, which look like regular cargo pants but with all the protection you need... again, if it's pooring, I'll put some over-pants to get me 100% waterproof and then my TCX boots X-Blend which also look like regular boots (for the most parts).

I have no issues weather the pants and boots all day long, do have an extra pair of pants and shoes at work just in case but never had to used them thus far (for the past 3 years commuting).

Depends a lot on your dress code as well I guess... but it's 100% possible
Thanks. There's no dress code where I work fortunately, so I could even retain my biker looks for the day. I was more wondering if your chair gets wet if you just sit down in Gore-Tex gear that was exposed to heavy rain for say 40 minutes. I'm trying to avoid having to judge if it's rainy or not before riding. That's why I like the idea of Gore-Tex, but I'm open to the way you're doing it. Maybe I'd just put the over-pants on no matter what.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:47 PM
Supporter

Yeah, your gear will be wet on the outside, but dry inside.

Don't think you can sit straight away with wet gear (any)
Old 12th March 2018, 01:20 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
127 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

Originally Posted by VJMC
Tá sé seo iontach

He/it is this wonderful? I think you mean "go hiontach"

My favourite commuting combo is these pants over draggin jeans or regular leathers and a decent textile jocks.

Those flexothane pants can take some serious abuse, completely water and windproof, they easily fit in the tail of most bikes and as a bonus you don't sound like your walking around in a packet of crisps.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:34 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,177 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

Alpinestars Drystars is mighty good kit, too. I'm on my second set & I couldn't fault it after four years of use (my first set came to an untimely end after less than one year but that's another story )
Old 12th March 2018, 01:47 PM
Clubman

176 posts since Jan 2018

Originally Posted by motoxyogi

He/it is this wonderful? I think you mean "go hiontach"

My favourite commuting combo is these pants over draggin jeans or regular leathers and a decent textile jocks.

Those flexothane pants can take some serious abuse, completely water and windproof, they easily fit in the tail of most bikes and as a bonus you don't sound like your walking around in a packet of crisps.
Would it be too much to put on the over-pants over textile pants every day? (sometimes for no reason)
Old 12th March 2018, 01:51 PM
Clubman

127 posts since Jul 2009

Would it be too much to put on the over-pants over textile pants every day? (sometimes for no reason)
That should have been textile jocks not jocks. My bad.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:52 PM
Clubman

127 posts since Jul 2009

That should have been textile jocks not jocks. My bad.
j-acket
Old 12th March 2018, 02:24 PM
Clubman

176 posts since Jan 2018

j-acket
Yeah, I Google'd the "jocks" bit, thanks :)
Old 12th March 2018, 04:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,394 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

In my case - I bought the Gore-Tex trousers a half size bigger than required and wear them over my slacks (shirt & slacks dress-code here). Works for Jeans too on Jeans days ..
That way I'm dry, and wearing dry slacks during the day ... simple to slip off the boots / gore-tex trousers and slide on a pair of formal shoes leaving the trousers to dry as required before the spin home :)

P

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
commuting