Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 9th March 2018, 11:07 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 30882 from Cork City
204 posts since Feb 2013
Motorbike: Honda VFR 1200f
Modifications: DAM exhaust...sweet
Default Insurance renewal, who's best?

Well?, tis that time of the year again. I know it always comes up in some shape or form but the more its discussed the better for all to bring a better awareness I suppose. Anyways: who's the better crowd to go with Carole Nash or Principle. I'm currently with CN and got an excellent price, after they were forced to knock off 150 yo yo's! (cnuts!) because I shopped around.

But these two companies I mention are offering the same price now for Fully Comp, breakdown etc, all the important essentials. Both offers identical. Thankfully, I've no claims in the paste, but is there anyone here has had bad experiences with any of them for some reason or other and wouldn't go back to use them. Who provides the best service when needed. So basically its CN or Principle - opinions/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2018, 11:25 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
15,482 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: su
Default Re: Insurance renewal, who's best?

if both are the same price, then CN mayby be a better option just in case a claim comes up
but as a fuck you for trying to get another 150 off you then principle but watch the small print like driving to work and carrying pillions and the excess which is high, also with principle as brokers but unlike CN they use different underwriters which I found funny as Im with them as Adelaide are gone and its some uk underwriter and my mate is also with porinciple but with a different underwriter?
and an excess of 340
Old 9th March 2018, 11:40 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by acdc
if both are the same price, then CN mayby be a better option just in case a claim comes up
but as a fuck you for trying to get another 150 off you then principle but watch the small print like driving to work and carrying pillions and the excess which is high, also with principle as brokers but unlike CN they use different underwriters which I found funny as Im with them as Adelaide are gone and its some uk underwriter and my mate is also with porinciple but with a different underwriter?
and an excess of 340
Ya, cheers. I am peed off with CN. It's my second yr with them. They send me notice saying you don't have to do anything, we renew it automatically! I specifically asked to be taken off the auto list last yr and yet they were still willing to auto collect and Jack up my insurance by nearly 160 fuckin quid instead of rewarding me for being low risk...cnuts!. anyway, the work and pillion are included, I don't use them, but it's there. I have checked the small print and it's the same. You are correct about principle. Two underwriters. Zenith and some other. I want to tell CN to piss off, but it's the change over to new I suppose, but I haven't heard any bad things about principle. I still have a week or so to decide. Both will be ringing back and there's probably another few quid in them....
Old 10th March 2018, 09:20 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9750 from Cork
2,131 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: ZX12R,GSXR11,Vmax,Monkey
Modifications: Loads

The problem is both are brokers - so they'll send out the price they get from the underwriter but they'll be told not to lose the business if possible. CN or Principle will then have a max discount they can give to hold it if you haggle. If they need to go over that discount they contact the underwriter again.

Everyone thinks its the broker that screws the client but if you read your documents somewhere amid the bullshit you'll be told the broker fee. Its the underwriters that are doing the screwing.

The mid term alternation fee is a great one. The punter beats the shit out of the broker at renewal but your caught by the balls mid term. Its usually too much hassle to cancel a policy and do a new one for the sake of the cost involved.
Old 10th March 2018, 09:38 AM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by ciderking
The problem is both are brokers - so they'll send out the price they get from the underwriter but they'll be told not to lose the business if possible. CN or Principle will then have a max discount they can give to hold it if you haggle. If they need to go over that discount they contact the underwriter again.

Everyone thinks its the broker that screws the client but if you read your documents somewhere amid the bullshit you'll be told the broker fee. Its the underwriters that are doing the screwing.

The mid term alternation fee is a great one. The punter beats the shit out of the broker at renewal but your caught by the balls mid term. Its usually too much hassle to cancel a policy and do a new one for the sake of the cost involved.
Ya. What you say makes sense. CN were literally pleading with me to stay with them and "what will it take to make you stay with us sir". But they sensed my pissed off on the phone so I told em ring me next week and I'll tell em after I shop around further, and don't bother telling me "we will match it" ya feckin beat them or I'm outa here luv... Tis a painful time of the year but has to be done, and yes I agree it's not really the broker it's the underwriter.

Cheers.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:43 AM
Cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 15208 from Leamlarastan
2,522 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: Ducati Monster S4 1966 Tr
Modifications: oil occasionally

Mine's up on the 26th. Principal. Just got the renewal E-mail and fuck me it's actually less than last year. I'm just going to pay it before they realise their mistake.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:07 PM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by generalisimo muldoon
Mine's up on the 26th. Principal. Just got the renewal E-mail and fuck me it's actually less than last year. I'm just going to pay it before they realise their mistake.
That's the way it should be. You get rewarded for another claims free year, good driving etc.ideal world stuff ya, but I'm thinking Principle cos they do cage insurance too and it might help my cause when that due.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:51 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9750 from Cork
2,131 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: ZX12R,GSXR11,Vmax,Monkey
Modifications: Loads

Just renewed with CN myself this morning. Quoted 468 paid 294 last year. Told them I was sick of ringing Principal and using them to match so this year CN had one shot at it - best price and I'd only ring back if Principal couldn't match. All of a sudden 275. Job done 4 bikes comp cover, protected ncb and breakdown
Old 10th March 2018, 03:43 PM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by ciderking
Just renewed with CN myself this morning. Quoted 468 paid 294 last year. Told them I was sick of ringing Principal and using them to match so this year CN had one shot at it - best price and I'd only ring back if Principal couldn't match. All of a sudden 275. Job done 4 bikes comp cover, protected ncb and breakdown
Good stuff. I'll be signing a similar tune next week. But I think there will be more movement from principle. I'm currently at 250 and CN will have to beat it to keep me...
Old 10th March 2018, 09:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 33860
430 posts since Sep 2014
Motorbike: CBR 600F

I've been with CN for years and they are always the last company I call at renewal time because they always beat all other quotes. For the record I'm 45 full license with 11 years NCB .
Old 10th March 2018, 09:50 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,321 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

Principal are the best
Old 10th March 2018, 11:51 PM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by mpp
I've been with CN for years and they are always the last company I call at renewal time because they always beat all other quotes. For the record I'm 45 full license with 11 years NCB .
Fair enough. I'll find out next week and let ya know. They are calling me at a given time and I'll have me final homework done beforehand. Will post to let ya know who beats who...
Old 10th March 2018, 11:53 PM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

Originally Posted by VJMC
Principal are the best
At the moment it's all square imo, next few days will tell alot guys.... cheers.
Old 11th March 2018, 11:18 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 11178 from Dublin
90 posts since Jul 2008
Motorbike: fj12,daytona955i
Modifications: lots an lots

[QUOTE=Darnava;3525418]Well?, tis that time of the year again. I know it always comes up in some shape or form but the more its discussed the better for all to bring a better awareness I suppose. Anyways: who's the better crowd to go with Carole Nash or Principle. I'm currently with CN and got an excellent price, after they were forced to knock off 150 yo yo's! (cnuts!) because I shopped around.

But these two companies I mention are offering the same price now for Fully Comp, breakdown etc, all the important essentials. Both offers identical. Thankfully, I've no claims in the paste, but is there anyone here has had bad experiences with any of them for some reason or other and wouldn't go back to use them. Who provides the best service when needed. So basically its CN or Principle - opinions/advice appreciated.

Cheers [/QUOTE

What did they quote ye,got me renewal from principle 348 for two bikes, comp, max ncd ,breakdown ,salty me thinks.
Old 11th March 2018, 04:42 PM
Clubman

204 posts since Feb 2013

[quote=lyonsee;3525620]
Originally Posted by Darnava
Well?, tis that time of the year again. I know it always comes up in some shape or form but the more its discussed the better for all to bring a better awareness I suppose. Anyways: who's the better crowd to go with Carole Nash or Principle. I'm currently with CN and got an excellent price, after they were forced to knock off 150 yo yo's! (cnuts!) because I shopped around.

Cheers [/QUOTE

What did they quote ye,got me renewal from principle 348 for two bikes, comp, max ncd ,breakdown ,salty me thinks.
At the moment Principle coming in at 240. CN originally for renewal, 420 (270 last year). Nothing changed from last yr, bar 1 yr older. Same criteria you stated but for one bike (vfr 1200).
Old 12th March 2018, 08:10 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,327 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

They're all a bunch of Legend, ps. I love you Xs, just go with the best quote you can get.

Ring around and of course tell them that the other guy went xx% lower and so on and so forth until you hit rock bottom.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:38 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,248 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

Was with Adelaide, who gave my renewal details to CN, who quoted me €870 FC.

2 phone calls later it was down to €400.

Never EVER accept the initial quote.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:09 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37934
176 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: Previous: Kawasaki ZZR400

What's this "driving to work" thing you guys are mentioning? I'm buying the bike for commuting to work in Dublin City. Do I need to watch out for something?
Old 12th March 2018, 10:21 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,327 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by SandR
What's this "driving to work" thing you guys are mentioning? I'm buying the bike for commuting to work in Dublin City. Do I need to watch out for something?
Just let your insurance know that you'll be commuting, that's all.

They would normally ask anyways while giving you the quote, it might be a bit more expensive if you commute (as it's a greater risk) but don't lie about that one, if you have any "encounters" in your commute the insurance will quickly fuck you over if you didn't say that you were commuting.

Just make sure that you're covered.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:40 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37934
176 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: Previous: Kawasaki ZZR400

Originally Posted by RTV
Just let your insurance know that you'll be commuting, that's all.

They would normally ask anyways while giving you the quote, it might be a bit more expensive if you commute (as it's a greater risk) but don't lie about that one, if you have any "encounters" in your commute the insurance will quickly fuck you over if you didn't say that you were commuting.

Just make sure that you're covered.
Thanks. Sure, I'll tell them the truth.
I'm just very surprised. I always thought the "Sunday driver" and "speed devil" hobbyist categories are the most dangerous one could imagine and that I'm grey and boring with my commuting plans.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
insurance, renewal