Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 9th March 2018, 11:33 AM
gtludwig gtludwig is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37657
8 posts since Sep 2017
Default is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

I love bikes and I want to get me a bike here in Ireland as soon as possible. And I understand this might not happen right now but building a personalised cafe racer or scrambler is something my DIY-engineer-mind (which is not a requirement!) has fallen in love as long as I can remember.
Given that, I understand that customizing a motorcycle incurs in changing a lot from the original project - suspension and brakes for starters!
So, could a motorcycle like this be legalized for road use and to be insured?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th March 2018, 12:02 PM
green grass's Avatar
green grass green grass is online now
Veteran Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,713 posts since Dec 2011
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Yes. Fire ahead and post pics of your creation......ill tell you whether you made a Legend, ps. I love you X of a grand bike or not!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th March 2018, 12:03 PM
nednedned's Avatar
nednedned nednedned is online now
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from Dubzland
2,191 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

once it has a full set of lights,mirrors for road use. color,engine change would have to be noted.

Last edited by nednedned; 9th March 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th March 2018, 12:51 PM
scorpy's Avatar
scorpy scorpy is offline
Lurking boogeyman
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
914 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

As long as the original frame has a registration certificate / tax book, you can do whatever the hell you like to that frame as long as it retains the original frame number. An insurance company may ask for an engineers report before insuring it. But I'd keep the original engine and majority of the frame and that keeps them reasonably happy. The rest is cosmetic unless you get adventurous.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th March 2018, 02:19 PM
Notch000's Avatar
Notch000 Notch000 is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 27659
772 posts since Oct 2011
Motorbike: Fazer 600
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

changing wheels, suspension, brakes, drop bars etc would hardly be classified as cosmetic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th March 2018, 02:24 PM
renniks's Avatar
renniks renniks is online now
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,828 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250L / XR650L / 1150GS
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by Notch000
changing wheels, suspension, brakes, drop bars etc would hardly be classified as cosmetic
Loads of bikes would have some, if not all the above upgraded without the owner informing insurance, well, unless they wanted to up the insured value of course
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th March 2018, 04:42 PM
patod02703 patod02703 is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 25426 from CORK, like, boi.
273 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: r1200r, klr650, tzr125,++
Modifications: pipe,slippers, cappucino
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by gtludwig
building a personalised cafe racer or scrambler is something my DIY-engineer-mind (which is not a requirement!) has fallen in love as long as I can remember.
Do you already have a hipster-type beard, or are you planning on cultivating one while building your bike?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one......

Good luck with the build, throw up a few pictures when you're done.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 9th March 2018, 09:18 PM
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
spanner spinner
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,704 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Hes you can insure customised bijes and chops ,trailies and crossers too as long as they are registered .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th March 2018, 10:14 AM
tadhgR tadhgR is online now
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34285 from Tipperary
342 posts since Jan 2015
Motorbike: CBR 600 F4i
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by chopper
Hes you can insure customised bijes and chops ,trailies and crossers too as long as they are registered .
How does it work with the declaration of modifications? Is there the danger that they’d walk the other way if you were involved in a claim?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16th March 2018, 01:42 PM
gtludwig gtludwig is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37657
8 posts since Sep 2017
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by green grass
Yes. Fire ahead and post pics of your creation......ill tell you whether you made a Legend, ps. I love you X of a grand bike or not!
Haven's started yet. Need to find a decent frame to build upon!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16th March 2018, 01:45 PM
gtludwig gtludwig is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37657
8 posts since Sep 2017
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by patod02703
Do you already have a hipster-type beard, or are you planning on cultivating one while building your bike?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one......

Good luck with the build, throw up a few pictures when you're done.
beard, check!

No worries! I still have to find the motorcycle, but, prior to that a suitable garage I can build the alterations at.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16th March 2018, 07:45 PM
The Road Runner's Avatar
The Road Runner The Road Runner is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,712 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by gtludwig
I love bikes and I want to get me a bike here in Ireland as soon as possible. And I understand this might not happen right now but building a personalised cafe racer or scrambler is something my DIY-engineer-mind (which is not a requirement!) has fallen in love as long as I can remember.
Given that, I understand that customizing a motorcycle incurs in changing a lot from the original project - suspension and brakes for starters!
So, could a motorcycle like this be legalized for road use and to be insured?
I wonder what you will say when they ask you , and they will , has this bike been modified in any way.....
if you say NO, you void your insurance.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16th March 2018, 09:16 PM
tadhgR tadhgR is online now
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34285 from Tipperary
342 posts since Jan 2015
Motorbike: CBR 600 F4i
Default Re: is cafe racer or scrambler legal and insurable in Ireland?

Originally Posted by The Road Runner
I wonder what you will say when they ask you , and they will , has this bike been modified in any way.....
if you say NO, you void your insurance.....
Is there a need to go into every little detail? Lights, clocks, tank, subframe, seat etc etc
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
cafe, insurable, ireland, legal, racer, scrambler



Support Biker.ie


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed