Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 1st December 2017, 12:55 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37402
30 posts since Jun 2017
Default Clutch problem when hot.

Howaye lads
So I have a 01 cbr600f4i and lately as i commute into Dublin once I get closer to the city and there's a lot of stopping and starting the clutch lever starts to feel a bit rough and tough to find neutral. When I just flick the bike on and get going the gear changes seem very smooth but as the bike heats up and I start and stop more for traffic and filtering the problem gets worse. I've adjusted the clutch cable multiple times with no luck and read somewhere online it could be the clutch plates sticking to one another when the bike heats up.I generally let my bike heat up for 4-5 mins anyway before I head off so its warm enough when I get going. Would my best bet be to replace the clutch plates? any info appreciated thanks.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,595 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Default Re: Clutch problem when hot.

Are you using fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil.

Alot of the expensive fully synthetic engine oils dont work well with wet clutch plates in road bikes.
If you are using fully synthetic chenge to semi and see if that improves things.

If this isnt the case it sound like you could be in for clutch plates.
What mileage is on it?
Old 1st December 2017, 09:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22653 from athlone
1,240 posts since Jun 2010
Motorbike: K6 1000/ bandit 1200

Iv had two gsxr 1000s a k5 and k6 doing the very same thing when they get hot. Its very hard to get gears when im stopped in traffic the bike wont change out of first gear into second and I almost have to turn the bike off to get neutral. When the bikes out on the open road it ok its just when im around town and it heats up it starts acting up. Iv looked at the cable and it looks fine. Don't want to have to buy a new clutch. Iv been told that its bad news to leave your bike on its stand to heat up as the clutch is running on the right hand side of the bike with no oil getting to it. Anyone got any ideas ???
Old 1st December 2017, 11:29 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
127 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

If it's a hydraulic clutch it might be worth your while to try bleeding the clutch lines.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:30 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
127 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

Originally Posted by motoxyogi
If it's a hydraulic clutch it might be worth your while to try bleeding the clutch lines.
Just saw you said you've tried adjusting the clutch cable so nevermind.....
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:28 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,046 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

You may have a warped plate that's causing an issue when it deforms under temperature
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22653 from athlone
1,240 posts since Jun 2010
Motorbike: K6 1000/ bandit 1200

I might change the oil just to see if it changes anything.
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:14 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

30 posts since Jun 2017

alright cool i'm due an oil change anyway so i'll change the oil to semi synthetic and see if it makes a diff because tbh dont know what its running at the min as I only have it a few weeks. its on 49'000 km. I seem to have slightly solved the problem by just putting pressure on the lever before i change gears then it slides in with no resistance but going back down the gears sometimes is still rough and finding neutral. might just change clutch plates anyway aswell when doing the oil change. thanks guys
Old 13th March 2018, 11:46 AM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

30 posts since Jun 2017

Just thought i'd post back up here for anyone who had similar problems as I ended up fixing mine there a few weeks back.
One day the clutch pedal wouldn't spring back into place so i took it apart and it ends up that the whole assembly was just filthy. I took it all apart and scrubbed it up and re greased the inside of the lever where it rotates to make it a little smoother and now there seems to be no more problems at all when shifting if the bikes hot or cold.
I think the closer i got to the city the more gear changing I was doing which was bunching all the dirt together and really making it difficult to change smoother so a good clean seems to have solved the problem for me anyway. So i'll add it to the monthly cleaning schedule and hopefully it stays smooth! just incase anyone is having a similar with theirs it seems a good deep clean really goes a long way.
Old 15th March 2018, 09:20 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35351 from carrick
535 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: vtr 1000. spondon mori,
Modifications: a long expensive list

i had the same problem, turned out two of the steel plates were warped a little.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
clutch, hot, problem