Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th March 2018, 11:36 AM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,715 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: FJ1100
Default Re: Are motorcycles the solution to Dublin gridlock?

Originally Posted by bloke
I don't whether to laugh or cry or just scratch my head in wonderment at these ideas.

Search this forum for people giving out about insurance. Even just scroll up a few posts in this thread and people are giving out about insurance for motorbikes and the cost and it being prohibitive.

And you three love insurance so much that you want more of it. More insurance. You think that this guy:

Click the image to open in full size.

should have insurance

for this

Click the image to open in full size.

I have so many questions:

Were you ever a child? Did you have a bicycle?
Have you children????? Do they have bicycles?
and
You still think that bicycles should have insurance?
And a No Claims Bonus?

An 8 year old has gotta be high risk so what's a good figure to put your son on your bicycle policy as a named rider? - 500 euro a year??

Are you out of your fuppin minds???

Cyclists can cause accidents so should be required to have the same protection for 3rd parties as everyone else. It's all well and good saying it's a waste until you're in an accident caused by a cyclist and having to go down the civil route to get the basics paid for never mind what would happen if you were injured.
Old 8th March 2018, 11:47 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35390 from Clare
292 posts since Oct 2015

Originally Posted by manbearpig
the main complaint being the cost up front.

1k for gear
1k for insurance
€500 for lgbt

You're looking at approx 1.5k - 2k before you even sit on the bike.
A helpful solution from the government would be to start a scheme for motorcyclists similar to the bike to work one for cyclists.
Allow motorcyclists €1000 for safety gear and pay it back in a year through their wages, for someone starting out €1000 would get them a helmet, wet gear, boots and gloves etc, sometimes good gear is scrimped on when they have forked out on a bike and insurance
Old 8th March 2018, 11:49 AM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

motorcycles are at the bottom in terms of ppl advocating for us, thats a fact.

we're always to blame for accidents, we're a nuisance and anti social dont ya know. Ppl's attitude towards motorbikes has been well casted and you wont break the mold.

shane ross, get the fukin boat, voted for him in last eleciton, ffs, never again. him and fukin LOLsocks leo, fcuk off outta here

i use the scooter most days for work. I go across the city every day , north south and vice versa. Then i use the bike when the mood takes me.

with impeding staged tolls, and the city centre pretty much becoming off limits to all cages etc, there is no solution. there are thousands of ppl inside and outside of the city who are not within cycling distance, so what do they do ? I know two ppl who use two buses eveyr day, and its a 2 / 2.5hr journey to cross the city as there is no public transport direct. So even if i had to use public transport, id be adding a day to my commute a week in what i can do in 35 mins on a scooter, as I d be using 2 buses.

the new luas line is a joke, so many things wrong with it, i dont know where to start.

scooters in my opinion are the way forward, but our weather is shit, insurance companies are almost non existent, policies are expensive, etc etc....

it will never be fixed.
Old 8th March 2018, 11:53 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,444 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'd agree with most of this, except that cyclists are causing road accidents.

As a road user of every type of vehicle, I'm consistently amazed at the failure of many drivers to look further than 20m down the road. It's no surprise people do not adjust for cyclists - they don't do it for any oncoming vehicles, buses, or pedestrians. Hell, people often run into the LUAS.

But I'm a big fan of dash cams (I use them on the bicycles too), and if it's found to be the case then I'll happily change my mind.

By the way, I've noticed that electric bikes make for better cyclists. The person getting an electric would usually be quite an incompetent cyclist otherwise, unable to shift gears or pedal hard when necessary. But that electric motor changes it all, making them more like a strong cyclist, in all conditions. They really are a big part of the solution to getting people out of cars.
As always, it's never a black and white... as any other vehicle, not all cyclist are to blame.

Some of them though... it's like they do it on purpose to make a point.

They remind me of the feminazis sometimes...
Old 8th March 2018, 11:55 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,834 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Govt could stop charging VAT on safety equipment for bikers too - this would reduce the initial cost for someone coming to biking for the first time
Old 8th March 2018, 12:19 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
201 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

Dublin bus was probably half the reason I ended up on bikes. Would be nice to have dedicated areas to park them in town, but there are lots of places where people tend to park them in groups handy enough. If half the city were on motorbikes it might not be ideal either. Kinda liking it as it is at the minute where you can just filter the whole way up a gridlocked N11
Old 8th March 2018, 12:56 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
353 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Can never get my head around the negative attitude towards cyclist on here and other sites. Most of us started off on a bicycle and graduated on to a motorbike. For every cycling commuter I see in the morning rush, the way I see it is, one less car on the road, making life easier for me on my trusty 125.
Back in the day (1970s) primary schools ran training courses for kids on how to negotiate our roads as motorist (bugsy Malone style pedal cars) cyclist and pedestrian. For any Northsider you may remember the traffic school in clontarf next to Fairview park. Might not be a bad idea for Lord Ross to think about bringing this back.
Old 8th March 2018, 02:13 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32347
288 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: still dreamin.....
Modifications: 5 day rambler...

As someone who is looking into getting a motorbike in the very near future I can tell you that insurance and training are the least of my concerns...

Have been quoted online by liberty for a nsr/rs 125,CBR 400,bandit 600 and the like all between 8/900 fully comp on a provisional.the lgbt is around 500.

Liberty quoted me for a 1.1 fiesta worth 1250 TP only on a provisional 3600...The mandatory training costs around the same as a bikenever mind the cost of taxing the Legend, ps. I love you Xin thing,that and I can't legally drive on my own for a minimum of six months(earliest I think you can take the full test}

The cost for a bike is significantly less,it beggars belief why young people don't just get a wee scooter or something.im th 33,I can only imagine what the insurance would be for a lad in his twenties.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:21 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
280 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: sv1000s, gsxr 1000

Originally Posted by Yahooo
They are part of an an answer, but as far as I am concerned the EU from a transport point of view is fundamentally against motorcycles.
And as such this causes an indirect negative attitude towards us. Can’t remember the Norwegian transport engineer on one of the EU transport committees who was proposing the eradication of motorcycles as EU policy. I can’t remember any major outcry against him or his attitude.
That attitude gets carried over into how transport engineers and other look on motorcycling on this island.
Unlike let’s say France and Germany motorcycling in this country does not have enough critical mass to force those in charge to take us seriously. Just remember all the protest and go-slow ride outs that happened in France. When it counted a major stand was shown to be taken.
Then look at the situation here... MAG?? Heard of them, but could I be arsed about them... not really… Not sure how they will help me or the rest of us...

On the back of all that look at how hard and expensive it is to get a motorcycle and eventually a license and insurance. It’s a real uphill struggle and I must admire anyone who persists in going through the hoops to get on a bike these days.
After the few dedicated people that want to be on a motorcycle there’s only the rest that may be forced to try it or do it due to circumstances consider it, before the advantages can be appreciated.
I don’t know the statistics, but I would like to see if motorcyclists as a group in Ireland are increasing in number or just static.

I disagree with the cost. Try insuring a cage and a bike and see the difference, after doing your licence you'll be paying around €3000 for insurance for the first year while on a bike you are unlikely to pay more than €1000. Cages need nct and tax is expensive. Bikes only need €88 per year to tax and that's it. For a cage you can't drive alone for at least 6 months while on a bike you're on your own. The cost is around the same for training. I did both cage and bike licence at the same time.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,436 posts since Feb 2006

My Daughter wanted to get a bike and I insisted that she become familiar with roads, traffic and moving at speed within the confines of a 'safe(r) frame.
When she can drive with confidence, she can get all the bikes she wants.

Young cage drivers can text or listen to Bmmmph, Bmmmph, Bmmmph with the window down with half their taxi paying mates in warmth and comfort and a coffee by their side.

As for bicycles.. free for all IMO, its the last item of freedom that people can partake of without forking out shit loads of money for... nothing.
Stop pedaling.. and the bike all but stops too unlike anything > 30 where it'll keep going with weight and do some damage.
If they fall of... like the older days, tough shit.
If they hit you, beat them
However, keep in out of the bloody way and shove your 1.5 Mtr up yer spandex where our roads are but 2.0 Mtrs anyways.

Cages V's bikes, Bikes any day
(When its warm, sunny and there's parking.. cos I'm fcuking freezing through winter on a bike and I loose all the time gearing up and getting the bike out) I can take the 10-15 Mins in a queue rather than the routine in the AM. Do miss the freedom and independence though,
Tis nearly time again though.(Ya fair.ish weatherer)
But IMO.. have a look in the window of 90% of cages in a que .. I wouldn't put any of them on a bike.

Do: promote motorbikes, scoooters
It'll give people an insight into safety, control and road position
ease congestion and even from a cagers point of view, put them in a lane and reduce the cagers lane for those who wouldn't hop on.

Last edited by Airman; 8th March 2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 9th March 2018, 06:22 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
353 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Originally Posted by Airman
My Daughter wanted to get a bike and I insisted that she become familiar with roads, traffic and moving at speed within the confines of a 'safe(r) frame.
When she can drive with confidence, she can get all the bikes she wants.

Young cage drivers can text or listen to Bmmmph, Bmmmph, Bmmmph with the window down with half their taxi paying mates in warmth and comfort and a coffee by their side.

As for bicycles.. free for all IMO, its the last item of freedom that people can partake of without forking out shit loads of money for... nothing.
Stop pedaling.. and the bike all but stops too unlike anything > 30 where it'll keep going with weight and do some damage.
If they fall of... like the older days, tough shit.
If they hit you, beat them
However, keep in out of the bloody way and shove your 1.5 Mtr up yer spandex where our roads are but 2.0 Mtrs anyways.

Cages V's bikes, Bikes any day
(When its warm, sunny and there's parking.. cos I'm fcuking freezing through winter on a bike and I loose all the time gearing up and getting the bike out) I can take the 10-15 Mins in a queue rather than the routine in the AM. Do miss the freedom and independence though,
Tis nearly time again though.(Ya fair.ish weatherer)
But IMO.. have a look in the window of 90% of cages in a que .. I wouldn't put any of them on a bike.

Do: promote motorbikes, scoooters
It'll give people an insight into safety, control and road position
ease congestion and even from a cagers point of view, put them in a lane and reduce the cagers lane for those who wouldn't hop on.
1.5 / 2 metres passing disitance is a load of unenforceable shite. The only good I can see coming of it is making certain dimwits behind the wheel think about how they overtake cyclists.
Whole generation of motorists out there who rarely if ever cycled a bike to school and didnt do the whole graduating from a bicycle - motorbike - car buzz. They have no road sense and zero comprehension of what is is like for a cage to go by you at 60mph with inches to spare.
Art the end of the day if you are on something with half inch wide tryes with 100 psi and no suspension there is a good chance you will swerve to avoid a pothole or be moved from your line by a sudden gust of wind.
At the end of the day I have been nearly killed by cagers/truck drivers on many ocassions but never by a cyclist...
Old 9th March 2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,632 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

The biggest fuckup Dublin ever made was not putting in an underground metro.
That fucking Luas is the cause of most of the traffic and fuck me its expensive to use.

A Japnese company and a Spanish company both offered to build it for free in early 2000s and all they wanted was the tolls on it for 25 years then would hand ot over....

We are an anti biking country compared to the rest of europe where most young people male and female start off on scooters.
Old 9th March 2018, 08:02 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,444 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by Rockster
Can never get my head around the negative attitude towards cyclist on here and other sites. Most of us started off on a bicycle and graduated on to a motorbike. For every cycling commuter I see in the morning rush, the way I see it is, one less car on the road, making life easier for me on my trusty 125.
Back in the day (1970s) primary schools ran training courses for kids on how to negotiate our roads as motorist (bugsy Malone style pedal cars) cyclist and pedestrian. For any Northsider you may remember the traffic school in clontarf next to Fairview park. Might not be a bad idea for Lord Ross to think about bringing this back.
There's a big difference between cyclist and a spandex Legend, ps. I love you X though.

Two completely different things... I have nothing against cyclist.
Old 9th March 2018, 09:26 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,269 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

Originally Posted by Blueb6
A helpful solution from the government would be to start a scheme for motorcyclists similar to the bike to work one for cyclists.
Allow motorcyclists €1000 for safety gear and pay it back in a year through their wages, for someone starting out €1000 would get them a helmet, wet gear, boots and gloves etc, sometimes good gear is scrimped on when they have forked out on a bike and insurance
This is a good idea.

Originally Posted by renniks
Govt could stop charging VAT on safety equipment for bikers too - this would reduce the initial cost for someone coming to biking for the first time
This is a very good idea.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:28 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 7708 from Dublin
255 posts since Dec 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 2012 Suzuki DL650
Modifications: Stabilisers

Bikes are definitely a solution but no will to implement them here from the powers that be. The effort required to get going on one is considerable but with modern tech things could be made simpler.

I was in the states a good while back and had a spin on a zero motorcycle. It all electric, twist and go. It weighed a bit over 100kg. As a 20-30km commuting machine in traffic I think it would be one of the best solutions out there.

Speed and power deliver can all be limited and controlled by software making them easier to ride than a regular bike. Maintenance is only brake pads, tyres and the belt drive.

Twist and go with great control and unbelievably easy to maneuver in tight spaces. Would I go for a Sunday spin on one but if I had to head from outside the M50 into the center every day then it is the perfect took for the job. The cyclist brigade should be campaign for mire motorbikes as they are a lot safer for them than cars but they don't seem to have any interest there.

Problems though are the price - stupid money, I mane bonkers for what you get. Although if the will was there this could be addressed with VAT exemption, tax relief like the way you can get the annual travel pass. Simplified licensing stuff, government insurance policy etc. Free parking etc etc

Sadly though none of that will ever happen so we're still going to be f'd in 10 years, instead of oil burning cages there will be electric cages still taking the same space and no progress made at all.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:11 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 36518
222 posts since Aug 2016
Motorbike: GSX-R750, CB500

Most people think motorbike are death traps. That combined the shite weather, impractical gear and lack of carrying ability have relegated motorcycles to an oddity. I can only see motorbikes getting less popular in the longterm. Electric vehicles are also going to erode the performance advantages bike have traditionally had over other road vehicles. 20 years ago, no road legal cage could touch a bike in terms of acceleration, not true anymore.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:18 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
280 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: sv1000s, gsxr 1000

Originally Posted by Fred Flinstone
Most people think motorbike are death traps. That combined the shite weather, impractical gear and lack of carrying ability have relegated motorcycles to an oddity. I can only see motorbikes getting less popular in the longterm. Electric vehicles are also going to erode the performance advantages bike have traditionally had over other road vehicles. 20 years ago, no road legal cage could touch a bike in terms of acceleration, not true anymore.
Electric motorbikes also exist so what's your point? No reasonable cost cage can even compete with a bike unless you're going €100 000+
Old 9th March 2018, 09:13 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
416 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

I have the habit of directly or indirectly prodding taxi drivers about cyclists. They all say the same thing:

"You guys are fast but look and pay attention, they... look at him... headphones, not even a glance"

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
dublin, gridlock, motorcycles, solution