Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 16th August 2009, 06:09 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8271 from meath
666 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: crf450,
Modifications: lots
Default Re: pre 97 racing

hoping to get into this slowly but surely.. any pointers?

Will any 1 piece suits do? safety standard? race fairings needed?
Old 16th August 2009, 06:44 PM
Knees up!

Biker.ie Member No. 7018 from Balbriggan
10,612 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: RVF 400 + SV 650
Modifications: Plenty!!

Originally Posted by smackey
hoping to get into this slowly but surely.. any pointers?

Will any 1 piece suits do? safety standard? race fairings needed?
Any 1 piece suit yeah, get the best one you can afford tho cause everyone falls off at some point.

Yeah you need race fairings, no coolent in the rad just water, chain gaurd on the back sprocket, no lights, lock wired oil filter, lock wired oil filler cap and lock wired sump nut, no side stand

Last edited by scoops22; 16th August 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 16th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5329 from Dublin
321 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Ducati MST 1200 ABS

Any chance of the Pre 97 being updated to pre 2000 or similar? When was the last update made and what were the date changes?
Old 16th August 2009, 11:13 PM
Knees up!

Biker.ie Member No. 7018 from Balbriggan
10,612 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: RVF 400 + SV 650
Modifications: Plenty!!

Originally Posted by gerby
Any chance of the Pre 97 being updated to pre 2000 or similar? When was the last update made and what were the date changes?
Theres a bunch of people seem to think that a pre injection class should be introduced, however the pre 97 riders are all happy with the pre 97 and they are getting 45 + entries per meeting so I think they should leave it as is, I cant see any grounds to upgrade a successful class.
I would be suprised if there was a change for 2010 but you wouldn know what way it would go
Old 24th August 2009, 11:54 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8271 from meath
666 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: crf450,
Modifications: lots

picked up a bike at the weekend, will try get out for a few track days and try my hand in this class..
Old 5th September 2009, 07:33 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25947
12,889 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: R6mbo

results today at kirkistown?
Old 6th September 2009, 04:02 AM
Supporter

CONGRATULATIONS to Alan Kenny on winning the pre 97 class 2009

and

Damien Mc Breen on his first win, in also his first season racing, at the last meeting at kirkistown 5th September 2009.
(It's WHEELIE BIN a good season for him , with a 7th, a 4th, a 3rd, three 2nds and a win)

ROLL ON NEXT YEAR LADS!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (250.4 KB)

Last edited by Rambo#15; 6th September 2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 6th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 11886 from cavan
115 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: cbr600 r1
Modifications: nut on seat

want to buy a good pre 97 bike for next year anyone selling anything fast
Old 6th September 2009, 12:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by mad tom112
want to buy a good pre 97 bike for next year anyone selling anything fast
put up an add in buyin and sellin horse, a few lads have been lookin for em, put up a good pic
Old 30th September 2009, 01:36 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 18633 from co antrim
71 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: triumph tiger, rg 500, pre 97 cbr 600 #60
Modifications: bog standard but quick enough for ald hand like me

Originally Posted by Jen
Gotta register your 'pre97' machine with me too!!
Its easy... contact me, fill out form, i will verify what year the engine and frame of the bike is! and then bingo away ya go!!

Funny how lads sell bikes sayin its a 1996 but its a 1991!!!
Hi do you have a telephone number, lookin ata bike for pre 97 and need frame and engine numbers checked cheers Neil
Old 30th September 2009, 01:38 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 18633 from co antrim
71 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: triumph tiger, rg 500, pre 97 cbr 600 #60
Modifications: bog standard but quick enough for ald hand like me

Hi do you have a telephoe number,lookin at a pre 97 and need frame and engine numbers checked cheers Neil
Old 24th May 2010, 01:29 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 16854 from dubland/athlone
976 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: sv650s
Modifications: viper can,lower fairings,scotoiler,tank bag/protector,a few marks all done by the previous owners

what sort of performance mods get carried out on the pre 97's

is there much engine work done on them

do people tend to go for the like of ohlins shocks

some of the bikes i saw at mondelo this weekend had parts fitted to them that where around the same price of the bike!but that was in other groups and i cant remember any of the pre 97 specificly

would your bike be far of the pace if all you had was ss brake lines, k and n filter, and a race exhaust

what would be the best bike to race in this catergory with only these mods?
ie the best bike for racing with the fewest tweeks to them
Old 24th May 2010, 02:20 PM
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place

Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07

I think most top lads have tuned engines anyway.
My engine is standard. Everything else aftermarket: quickshifter, ohlins at the back and K-tech valves in the forks ( it sent me back 800 quid to upgrade the suspention alone and that's only the price of parts done all the work myself). Then you have the ussual bits and bobs.
Most people have suspention upgraded atleast I think.
You will be ok on a standard bike though mate to get you started.
But its best to buy a race bike already fitted with good suspention as its costly to upgraded it, the rest isn't too bad, well except for engine tuning.
You could do a dyno run and see if you need to rejet with a good aftermarket jet kit.
After that service it after each race meeting, make sure you have good brake pads and sutable brake fluid, new wheel bearings - the usual.
Let me know if you need any assesment done on a bike and I'll give you all the info I posses :-)
Good luck.
Old 24th May 2010, 02:57 PM
MotoGP Star

976 posts since Jun 2009
Modifications: viper can,lower fairings,scotoiler,tank bag/protector,a few marks all done by the previous owners

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
I think most top lads have tuned engines anyway.
My engine is standard. Everything else aftermarket: quickshifter, ohlins at the back and K-tech valves in the forks ( it sent me back 800 quid to upgrade the suspention alone and that's only the price of parts done all the work myself). Then you have the ussual bits and bobs.
Most people have suspention upgraded atleast I think.
You will be ok on a standard bike though mate to get you started.
But its best to buy a race bike already fitted with good suspention as its costly to upgraded it, the rest isn't too bad, well except for engine tuning.
You could do a dyno run and see if you need to rejet with a good aftermarket jet kit.
After that service it after each race meeting, make sure you have good brake pads and sutable brake fluid, new wheel bearings - the usual.
Let me know if you need any assesment done on a bike and I'll give you all the info I posses :-)
Good luck.
cheers it good to know what level of tuning goes into the bike

dont have a race bike yet, would like to get a track bike for the end of the summer.and ill see how i get on.ill have to see how i am for money do, thats the main prob

thanks
Old 24th May 2010, 03:27 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 16124 from Dublin
1,446 posts since May 2009
Motorbike: 1098, VTR1000, ZX6R Pre-97 #71, GSXR1000 K6 Race Bike #171
Modifications: Gaffer Tape, Fibreglass Resin and a Lobotomy.

Originally Posted by party-wizard
cheers it good to know what level of tuning goes into the bike

dont have a race bike yet, would like to get a track bike for the end of the summer.and ill see how i get on.ill have to see how i am for money do, thats the main prob

thanks
I did my first race on a Pre-97 there at the weekend, and mine is completely 100% standard bar a (forced!) replacement of the rear shock to a standard shock from an 08 bike. Other than that, everything else is as it came from the factory in 96 (oh, I stuck a Brembo master cylinder on from an 01 RSV and ss brake lines). My discs were warped though and were a danger (as other lads who saw them will testify!), so couldn't push it as hard as I wanted, but from qualifying 17th out of 25 (was taking it well easy, as only had the shock on and set up that morning!) with a 1:04, I managed a 15th, 14th and 12th by end of weekend, getting times into the 1:03's. My discs were absolutely horrific though, so would expect at least a good second or two off that when I replace them (god bless eBay!), but as far as budget goes - I don't think there was anything on the track all day that was anything as cheap as mine!!! Hahaha!!!
Old 24th May 2010, 03:49 PM
MotoGP Star

976 posts since Jun 2009

Originally Posted by crasheir
I did my first race on a Pre-97 there at the weekend,
fair play to ya,was that the green ninja with the numbers done in blue tape?
Old 24th May 2010, 10:32 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6774 from Dark side of the moon
330 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: Bikeless. Again!!!!

I'm another Pre 97 racer wannabe. Was watching this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT) on flea bay. Seemed like a decent set of wheels to start out on.

Also plenty of 400's listed too. Now who has the keys to the Post Office
Old 25th May 2010, 01:55 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3529
1,361 posts since Aug 2006
Motorbike: 1996 XJR 1200

Originally Posted by crasheir
I did my first race on a Pre-97 there at the weekend, and mine is completely 100% standard bar a (forced!) replacement of the rear shock to a standard shock from an 08 bike. Other than that, everything else is as it came from the factory in 96 (oh, I stuck a Brembo master cylinder on from an 01 RSV and ss brake lines). My discs were warped though and were a danger (as other lads who saw them will testify!), so couldn't push it as hard as I wanted, but from qualifying 17th out of 25 (was taking it well easy, as only had the shock on and set up that morning!) with a 1:04, I managed a 15th, 14th and 12th by end of weekend, getting times into the 1:03's. My discs were absolutely horrific though, so would expect at least a good second or two off that when I replace them (god bless eBay!), but as far as budget goes - I don't think there was anything on the track all day that was anything as cheap as mine!!! Hahaha!!!
no 102? saw you on the way into dunlop (last turn) and the arse end was hopping , you need to sort out the suspension or ease off the rear brake a tad to make it a bit smoother

and I'm with Jay with the dodgy brakes bit, cos more than likely it's him, Myles or me on the ground when the shit happens. Bunch of shit magnets that we are
Old 25th May 2010, 06:21 AM
Solitary Confinement

Originally Posted by marshalsview
no 102? saw you on the way into dunlop (last turn) and the arse end was hopping , you need to sort out the suspension or ease off the rear brake a tad to make it a bit smoother

and I'm with Jay with the dodgy brakes bit, cos more than likely it's him, Myles or me on the ground when the shit happens. Bunch of shit magnets that we are
That would probably have been on the Saturday - Qualifying or Race 1. I was trying to use the rear to help stabilise the shudder from the front - needless to say - it didn't work. After my scare in race 2 when I dropped to last place and thought - 'nah, this ain't for me - the bike is shit and I'm worse!', I never touched the rear again, and then just tried to grow the balls a bit by staying off the brakes so much and carry more speed into the corners (I guess what sorts the winners from losers!), and that is when I went from 22nd to 14th. It's just such a pity Race 3 was so long after (well over 6 hours!) and I was too tired - physically and mentally, by then. I took so long to get started and it was only when I got passed by a lad - Number 11, that I woke up and started to ride again. It was also then that I was most sorry about the brakes, as on the last corner on the last lap, I reckoned I could have outbraked them into Dunlop, but just didn't take the chance and the three of us went over the line 0.4 second between us! No:11 12:00.8, No:18 12:01.1, No:102 12:01.2!!! More frustrating also that the two of them had their fastest laps in laps 3 and 4 (in the 1:04's), and I managed to slip into the 1:03's in lap 11 - the last lap: Oh for just one more lap!! Haha!!

Jaysus, just read this back, and what a load of shite to be writing in response to a simple post! I guess I'm just a key example of what this racing lark does to ya: first time out, and I'm still slobbering shite about it for days after!
Old 25th May 2010, 06:23 AM
Solitary Confinement

Originally Posted by party-wizard
fair play to ya,was that the green ninja with the numbers done in blue tape?
Nah, though I did chat to the lad that owned that bike, it was a 97, so he had it in the 600SS. Funny that both are identical bikes, yet because mine was a 96, I was able to enter it in a different class.

Mine was the all black one with the green wheels. Horrendous looking abomination of a thing!!!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
pre, racing