Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Closed Thread

Old 12th August 2014, 09:06 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28798 from Dublin
32 posts since Apr 2012
Motorbike: CBF650F
Default Re: Adventures of a TT Racer

Very quick video I put together of Pa Gill Racing & Co. at the TT this year. Bit at the ends my favourite.

Pa Gill Racing TT 2014
Old 13th August 2014, 01:19 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 14208
9,768 posts since Feb 2009

Originally Posted by Pipz
Very quick video I put together of Pa Gill Racing & Co. at the TT this year. Bit at the ends my favourite.

Pa Gill Racing TT 2014
brilliant
Old 17th August 2014, 10:15 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 21341
567 posts since Apr 2010

Old 5th October 2014, 09:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29532 from Cork
570 posts since Aug 2012
Motorbike: c50, dl650, zx6r track

Great reading lad...now where do i buy one of these sidecar outfits?????
Old 6th October 2014, 10:24 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,357 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by cb400sf
Great reading lad...now where do i buy one of these sidecar outfits?????
Plenty of them available.

Old 6th October 2014, 10:57 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

ya'd want to hurry. There seems to be a lot of interest in these things lately. Maybe us auld bastards are tired of falling off the solos or something.
Old 6th October 2014, 11:04 AM
Broke racer.

Originally Posted by bow leg
ya'd want to hurry. There seems to be a lot of interest in these things lately. Maybe us auld bastards are tired of falling off the solos or something.
Unreal the amount of solos that's changing to sidecars!
Old 6th October 2014, 11:10 AM
Supporter

570 posts since Aug 2012

Where are they usually advertised for sale?
Have seen these a few times at Mondello and I think they are class!!
Was chatting to one of the sidecar riders yesterday at Mondello and he was telling me that there is a training day for em in March in Mondello and that would be a good way to get into them. Do lads usually start as passenger and then become a rider or how does it work?
I have never even had a bike on a track never mind any sidecar experience. I commute daily on a V Strom 650 so i couldn't be any further away from any type of 2 or 3 wheeled motorsport....AM I MAD?
Old 6th October 2014, 11:28 AM
Broke racer.

Originally Posted by cb400sf
Where are they usually advertised for sale?
Have seen these a few times at Mondello and I think they are class!!
Was chatting to one of the sidecar riders yesterday at Mondello and he was telling me that there is a training day for em in March in Mondello and that would be a good way to get into them. Do lads usually start as passenger and then become a rider or how does it work?
I have never even had a bike on a track never mind any sidecar experience. I commute daily on a V Strom 650 so i couldn't be any further away from any type of 2 or 3 wheeled motorsport....AM I MAD?
Not at all man. You can start either way.
The Irish Sidecar and Motorcycle Club have a monthly meeting in The Straw Hall pub. Head along to one of them. Terry O Reilly would be the man to talk to. I can PM his number to you if you want. You wont get a more helpful bunch than the sidecar lads. They'll do anything to get you out on track.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:09 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3376 from Wexford
464 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: R6 and a load of Cub 90's
Modifications: Sidecar

From talking to people in the paddock and online there seems to be a real interest in people wanting to have at least a go on sidecars which is great.

I think what would be the job to organise would be a session maybe at one of Mondello's track days and get some of the lads to bring along a few bikes. Then to be on hand to instruct people how to ride and how to passenger. Then lads can make up their own mind what they would like to do. It would have to be a session booked so everyone would have to pony up a few quid to book the time on track. There is an open day in March but it's normally used as a testing day for lads who have been working on the outfits over the winter. The season is nearly over now bar the sunflower at the end of the month so after that it would be a good time to have a rattle. The good thing about sidecars is rain or shine there's lot's of fun to be had(sometimes more in the wet), so winter month track session no problem. Also if anyone is interested they have the winter to get together a few bob maybe do a bit with the bike and be ready for the start of the season.

The 2nd thing that needs to be done is an inventory of sidecars that are for sale and I can do this easily with a ring around but I'll get in touch with the Sidecar club and maybe they will do a call to members to list the bikes then at least lads can get an idea what's out there and how much can be spent. Because you can spend from a couple of grand to 5 digit figures on a bike depending where and what you want to do. I still remember the first time racing on an old GSXR 1200 bored to the last, fiddling with it everytime we came back in. Don't miss the bike as such but miss the sound of the flat slides with no bloody ECU & electrics to go wrong.

As for me at the moment my TT compadre has retired.

Pa Gill Racing Statement:
It is with sadness that we announce that Pa Gill has decided to retire from competitive racing for the foreseeable future. It has been a road of ups and downs with great friends and supporters made along the way without which none of this would be possible. As you all know the cost both financially and time to race at TT level is massive and puts a huge strain on all involved. That is not to say that it hasn't been worth it. Not everyone can look back and say they finished a TT so the dream was realised.
Again the supporters were a huge part if what was achieved.
Absol Engineering, Q8 Oils, Atlantic Projects Co., Bushy's Breweries, Hi-Level Cleaning, Leonard's Motors, Fine Signs, Larry Browne Fire Extinguishers, Ferrovac Vacuums GMBH, K-Fitt, BSS Sandblasting, The Rovers Return, Dal Riada, Alex, Mick Donovan, Eimear and Phil, Terry and Denise, Peter Farrelly, Alan Langton, Steven OFarrell, Lento & Julie, Nicole Lynch, Marc Maier, Charlie Browne, Kim Middleton, Mick Hill, Pa Shinney, Mike Smiley OLoughlin, Sam Wright, Dave Tormey, Damien Faye, Paul Greaney Motorcycles, Chris Creavey, Tommy Kirwan,
All the photographers:
Ryan Fegan, Barry Clay , John Manclark, Pit Lane Photography, Apex Photos, Orrie, Andy Quinn.
And the writers and magazines: Emerald Road Racing, Aidan @ Irish Road Racing, Keiran Coleman.
And of course the Legend that is Mr Aidan Browne who was brave enough to passenger.
If we have left anyone out I am sorry it's a big list!
As you can imagine this had been a difficult decision and this will leave a huge hole in all our lives which in time will, I'm sure be filled with some other wheeled, engined machine. So keep in touch for the next chapter.
To all the sidecar nuts, see ya at the dance!
Peace out Pa and Ailse

So there is one state of the art F2 race bike for sale. Even a big orange truck should you fancy it.

As PJ has said above call around to any of the lads in the paddock and they will answer any questions I'll be at the Sunflower with Terry O'Reilly filling in for Clive all going well.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:18 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28798 from Dublin
32 posts since Apr 2012
Motorbike: CBF650F

We had two sidecars out at the Cotter Motorcycles trackday last Monday in Mondello offering spins out on track. We got a load of people on to try it out, and every one of them came off the bike smiling. We also had an outfit at the previous Cotter Motorcycles trackday that was run earlier in the year. The training day is coming up in March for anyone who would like to consider being a passenger for next year, get in contact with the club and we can try and sort something out for you. We also hope to be out with Cotter Motorcycles again next year for any trackdays they might be running, so keep an eye out for those.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:38 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from Fuck knows
53,930 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro

Originally Posted by ab_irl
From talking to people in the paddock and online there seems to be a real interest in people wanting to have at least a go on sidecars which is great.

I think what would be the job to organise would be a session maybe at one of Mondello's track days and get some of the lads to bring along a few bikes. Then to be on hand to instruct people how to ride and how to passenger. Then lads can make up their own mind what they would like to do. It would have to be a session booked so everyone would have to pony up a few quid to book the time on track. There is an open day in March but it's normally used as a testing day for lads who have been working on the outfits over the winter. The season is nearly over now bar the sunflower at the end of the month so after that it would be a good time to have a rattle. The good thing about sidecars is rain or shine there's lot's of fun to be had(sometimes more in the wet), so winter month track session no problem. Also if anyone is interested they have the winter to get together a few bob maybe do a bit with the bike and be ready for the start of the season.

The 2nd thing that needs to be done is an inventory of sidecars that are for sale and I can do this easily with a ring around but I'll get in touch with the Sidecar club and maybe they will do a call to members to list the bikes then at least lads can get an idea what's out there and how much can be spent. Because you can spend from a couple of grand to 5 digit figures on a bike depending where and what you want to do. I still remember the first time racing on an old GSXR 1200 bored to the last, fiddling with it everytime we came back in. Don't miss the bike as such but miss the sound of the flat slides with no bloody ECU & electrics to go wrong.

So there is one state of the art F2 race bike for sale. Even a big orange truck should you fancy it.

As PJ has said above call around to any of the lads in the paddock and they will answer any questions I'll be at the Sunflower with Terry O'Reilly filling in for Clive all going well.
pity to hear he is retiring , hopefully something turns up .
Old 7th October 2014, 08:58 AM
Supporter

570 posts since Aug 2012

Originally Posted by ab_irl

Ya the likes of track time for people to try out bikes sounds good if people were willing to let novices near their pride n joy!! I would definitely be up for this as i am sure loads more would be Good way for complete novices like me to see are they cut out for the sidecar thing or if they don't have the neck for it
Old 30th December 2014, 10:24 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 34193
6 posts since Dec 2014

I love it !!!

I love the way you see the bike in your culture !!

The bike is not as steeped in our lives

Great !
Old 10th February 2015, 07:24 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,261 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by Pipz
We had two sidecars out at the Cotter Motorcycles trackday last Monday in Mondello offering spins out on track. We got a load of people on to try it out, and every one of them came off the bike smiling. We also had an outfit at the previous Cotter Motorcycles trackday that was run earlier in the year. The training day is coming up in March for anyone who would like to consider being a passenger for next year, get in contact with the club and we can try and sort something out for you. We also hope to be out with Cotter Motorcycles again next year for any trackdays they might be running, so keep an eye out for those.
Would passengers be better off small and agile (for straight line speed) or big and heavy to keep the 3rd wheel down on those things to carry more corner speed ?
Old 10th February 2015, 08:16 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 12190
2,449 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: gsxr1000K3

Originally Posted by Admin
Would passengers be better off small and agile (for straight line speed) or big and heavy to keep the 3rd wheel down on those things to carry more corner speed ?
All shapes and sizes, Sean Hegartys passanger , Jamie Neave , is about 6' 5, british champs and are doing the TT this year. Dont need to be heavy to keep wheel down, you'll know if yoor not sitting out far enough when it flips over. Being smaller deffinatly has its advantages, tucked down out of the wind in a straight line, if your sticking up your slowing the bike.
Being agile helps alot, first chicane at bishopscourt can be a cunt, need to move quick !
Old 10th February 2015, 10:51 AM
babe magnet

Biker.ie Member No. 2712 from Here
22,062 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: Co-founder Dead Duck Raci
Modifications: I stopped smokin!!!

Pa is actually competing at this year's TT, the retirement didn't last long.

He is however looking for a passenger as his regular passenger (hostage) had agreed to partner someone else.
Closed Thread

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
adventures, racer

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed