Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3376 from Wexford
464 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: R6 and a load of Cub 90's
Modifications: Sidecar
Default Re: Adventures of a TT Racer

Saturday 31st May Race Day

Well couldn't sleep too well as I was afraid that I'd sleep it out. A bit stupid really as all 3 of us in the truck had the alarms set for 5am. Woke at 4:45am and got up. Woke everyone else up too rattling around the place. We got ourselves together and sure enough on arrives Charlie , Philip, Terrry & Denise. What a crew to behold like something from night of the living dead(except Denise who was lovely as ever).

Terry backed up the van and proceeded to empty everything out so we could get the bike in, inflatable bed, wardrobes(I kid you not), boxes & boxes of stuff. Then the lads go on the rob to find ramps that we could borrow to get the bike in as trying to lift it in would have been a bloody nightmare. Sure enough 2 scaffolding planks, a 9 inch block and a concrete barrier base for holding up fencing later and we had the perfect setup. I can only imagine what our neighbours thought of us at 5:30am straining to get a bike into the van. We were in the bottom paddock and that's where a lot of the big boys have there large motor homes so they won't be bothered, so behind us we had Michael Rutter, beside us Josh Brooks, and John McGuinness to name drop a few.

Anyway Bike loaded, Terry Driving, Pa and Charlie up front and myself and Phil in the back. That was some drive, an hour later we were trying to find an old airfield in the middle of nowhere. Finally at the bottom of a lane where I'm sure there are bodies buried we got to mister slick Bass. He was looking a bit worse for wear as he'd been on the beer all night and said he'd have paid us not to there but ever the professional he'd shown up and we got the bike in and a right setup he had too.

Got the bike strapped down and got her rolling, he had us booked for an hour with French guys coming in after us but in fairness he said unless it's something serious we'll keep her on the Dyno until it's sorted. Tried running it and it was obvious it was starved of fuel. Turned the fuel regulator up and it was a bit better. Started upping the settings in the power commander and it was getting better all the time but he suggested that we should clean the injectors. So we popped them out one by one and his assistant Ben did a quick blow out of them and things were getting a bit better. Noticed also that the throttle position sensor was a bit erratic at times but it was stable for the most part. Anyway 2 and half hours later we had something that resembled a good power graph. The next two appointments were waiting so he said I've only time to do the top end from 6000rpm up. Good enough for to get us to race. It was 9:30am roads were closing at 10:00 our race was at 14:00pm time to hit the road. £150 lighter but worth it to get the job done.

One of our crew doing his bit. Remaining nameless.

Click the image to open in full size.

Flat out down the road in the van the reverse around the course from Ramsey to Douglas. I hardly recongnised anywhere driving the wrong direction. Spectators were already lining all the ditches for the Superbike race at 11am. We managed to get all the way back to Quarterbridge before the road in front of us was blocked. Bike unloaded there was no time to get the tank welded. Although the tank was dry it looks like it was on it's way to going on one of the mounts. Bring out our old friend Mr.Liquid Metal. Mixed up a batch and stuck it on the crack to get us going.

Fueled the bike, changed the tyres and brought it up to Scrutiny. Passed with flying colours. Into Parc Ferme, buttoned it up nothing more to do back to the truck. Now there are a few perks of doing the TT. One of them is free physio sessions and the other one is that ARAI will look after your helmet. I needed extra cheek padding as when I was going up through Hillberry and looking sideways the helmet was turning so I could hardly see anything. They also put on tear offs. I go for left and right the only reason is that the couple of times I had them on the same side I pulled the whole lot off together. (Just mentioning as it comes up later, I'll be asking questions)

Started drinking loads of fluids that old SIS stuff full of electrolights that was prepared by our wonderful crew(another mention)Now it was heading for 1:30pm time to go up for the race. The worst thing of all about racing is all the waiting if you could just turn up and go it would be fantastic but all the hanging around with things going through you head makes the start a long process. The Superbike race had gone without incident and Michael Dunlop had won it so the timetable was to schedule. The day was amazing blue sky no clouds perfect for racing. We got the 15 minute buzzer and brought the bike up to the start line. We were number 42 but had done well in qualifying and practice so we had a start position of 29.

It's like a circus on race day the walls of the pits are jammed, along with the grandstand and everywhere else. Then it was start time. On with the helmet this is happening. 3 Laps, 113miles, just over an hour of racing in 20 something heat. As the bikes roared off it was soon our turn.

Took off to a flyer and got straight into it. The bike was revving well and seem to have some pull thankfully. We were going well and managed to get up to 24th position after the first lap. I was comfortable enough but my mouth was like the Sahara half way around the first lap after all the fluids I was drinking. Onto the second lap the visor was covered in flies so coming down to Greeba Castle I had my head down and decided to pull off a tear off. Now I've done this loads of times and the secret is to look down and pull the tear off down. "Whatever move I made" the wind caught my glove and tried to blow my hand up in the air which made the visor fly open and my glasses got sucked out of the helmet. and one side of the visor was flapping.

I didn't know what had happened and then realised I was blind, I managed to get the visor shoved in again luckily when I slammed it down, but without my glasses I didn't know what to do. Luckily I knew the circuit pretty well down to Ballycrane and my favourite section Glen Helen so I didn't tap Pa out yet. The further we went my eyes adjusted and I knew pretty much where I should be so I said to hell with it, it will be one to tell the grandchildren if we make it back.

Then we came through Ramsey and as I was going up May hill I thought I'd felt something strange with the back of my right boot, but there is no time to mess about there as your straight into Ramsey Hairpin and up to Waterworks. As we came through Waterworks there is a tight left hander where I have to work it very hard to keep the chair on the road. As I shoved my right boot again the back of the wheel arch my foot came out of the back of it. The bloody zip had come down. God only knows why I've used the same boots for years without incident. Now I could only push myself half way out with my left knee. Well I'll let this picture tell you the next part of the story.

We came around the corner and the chair came up in the air. I desperately tried to get my head any part of my body to the left but it was too late. Pa knew instantly something was wrong and backed off the power. Luckily he didn't slam on brakes or anything and we hit the wall. Up went the bike and it ran along the wall and landed down. I patted Pa on the back saying what a save and to drive on I was OK. Managed to work the next 4 corners and then onto the mountain mile where I spent most of it trying to get the blasted zip back up on my boot. Luckily the zip wasn't damaged and it fastened up again.

Up to postion 22 now no drama. The 2nd lap is always the hardest. The first lap your fresh and up for it, the 2nd your getting tired but the moment you cross the start/finish line for the 3rd lap your adrenalin kicks in and you know your on the way home. I could see Pa pat the bike on the way up the mountain mile and I could read his mind - "Come on girl we can make it".

And then over the line :

I was so happy to make it back. I couldn't see the faces of the people but they were all clapping and holding their hands out for high fives. We got back to Parc Ferme and all the crew where there. It's a great feeling to have done it and I was drained. Nobody noticed I was missing anything. Then the penny dropped where are your glasses. Then the craic started about the Venturi effect sucking them off my face.

Straight to the bar and the craic was right good. Hero stories all around the place and good fun. Got showered up and headed down to the villa Marina for the prize giving. We got our finishers medal which is a nice thing to have but a little bit gutted as we missed out on a bronze replica by less than 0.44mph. We had an average of 103.166mph and the bronzes were given out to 103.6mph which is a percentage of the winners time.

But anyway better luck next time. Off for a heap of beer and a bit of a lie in on a Sunday morning then an engine change for race number 2.

Last installment to come..........

Last edited by Admin; 10th February 2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 17th June 2014, 11:15 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,291 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Aidan yous are heros!
Old 17th June 2014, 11:55 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,408 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

Originally Posted by PJ
Aidan yous are heros!
that our terry and denise??
Old 17th June 2014, 11:59 AM
Broke racer.

Originally Posted by oretom
that our terry and denise??
Tis indeed. He's doing the Island next year.

Road trip????
Old 17th June 2014, 12:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,201 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

Savage read, thanks a lot and well done
Old 17th June 2014, 01:32 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,353 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

Excellent read , well done again !
Old 17th June 2014, 04:52 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,143 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

great read and insight into the whole thing, good few lads experience it but few bother putting it into words
Old 17th June 2014, 04:59 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 16970
856 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Suzuki GSXR K4

Enjoyed that, thanks.

One of the best threads ever!
Old 17th June 2014, 05:30 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27477
105 posts since Sep 2011

Bit like waiting for game of thrones to come on again, a cracking good read so far looking forward to the next episode.

Must get a run on one of those 3 legged yolks sometime.
Old 17th June 2014, 06:48 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,408 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

Originally Posted by PJ
Tis indeed. He's doing the Island next year.

Road trip????
aye, shoudbe doinmanxthis year with lyonsy
Old 17th June 2014, 09:51 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 32538
243 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: CBR6RR
Modifications: Bungs

Fantastic read. Well done on your achievement, and thanks for sharing the insight with us.

Old 18th June 2014, 12:19 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 31003
87 posts since Feb 2013
Motorbike: Suzuki gsxr750
Modifications: Lots

You should put it in a book Aidan be a best seller lol. Can't wait for the last instalment. I pretty much no the story but you put it in word so well can't wait to read it
Old 18th June 2014, 08:01 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23142 from Dublin
2,522 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Few
Modifications: not yet

Originally Posted by Admin
great read and insight into the whole thing, good few lads experience it but few bother putting it into words

Aced it
Old 16th July 2014, 02:21 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3376 from Wexford
464 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: R6 and a load of Cub 90's
Modifications: Sidecar

Sunday 1st June The day after

Woke up at around 7am in the back of the truck on my luxury single mattress and decided to get up as every part of me was sore. Sneaked out the door so as not to wake the rest and decided to go for a cycle on the mountain bike the lads had to try and loosen up. I went down around the prom which was dead, loads off bikes but very little movement. This year actually there was a big difference in the make of bikes, before everywhere you looked there were BMW this year there seemed to be Ducati's everywhere. Big mistake going down to the prom the hills back up to the paddock are ridiculous. Ended up pushing the bike up the hill to my embarrassment. Met a guy going through one of the estates big lump of a fellow with a pony tail and a shaved head with a Cork accent on the way home, asking me to wheelie the push bike. Dedication is what you need.

Got back and Terry handed me the white handle of the sweeping brush to get around. Comedians everyone of them. I'd made a few phone calls and my mate Eric back home was leaving at 6:30am from Wexford to met Lento in a secret location on the N7 with my spare glasses and work goggles just in case as he was coming over on the ferry. Everyone was milling around and dissecting yesterday’s race. We all knew that we could do better because the standard engine was exactly that a standard GSXR 600 engine so it was time to put as was stated "the big girl in", well the work started around 10am Pa, Terry, Phil and myself. Now changing an engine normally is not a big deal but bloody sidecars being what they are it's an episode. Ours with a lot of others are dry sump. Now it's a bit of a contentious issue with pros and the cons but basically dry sump means you cut the big sump off the bike and put a very flat barely there sump on the bottom of the engine that just clears the crank, then you put a scavenger pump on that that pulls the oil out and puts it into an external oil swirl pot and from there the oil is pumped back into the top of the engine.

The pros are:
Lower engine profile (up to 5-6 inches lower to the ground), which make the sidecar more stable at high speed.

Cons:
Lots more pipes, pumps, oil pots, seals to go wrong

Also when changing an engine lots of extra work.

While we were at that Mr.Dyno came by and was asking how we got on, I just mentioned about the throttle position sensor jumping around and he said he'd sort it. He ran a new wire from the TPS to ground and said that would be the job. A very interesting man and very forthcoming with information. Normally guys in that trade it's like the black art's getting information from them but he was telling us all the car manufactures secrets and really interesting stuff. He definitely has got a book in him.

Was debating about changing my boots but feck it apart from that one episode in the race they had been lucky and I can always tape the zips around. Not much left of them but surely I can see the week out.

While in the truck a couple of guys came up looking for Michael Rutters truck, got talking and having the craíc and one of the lads takes off his leg and asks our resident superstar Pa to sign it. Next best thing to Michael Rutter. I think they might have been drinking heavily or were very short sighted.

I went up to the marshals head office and just told them not to waste any time searching for my glasses as I would have my replacements the next day. I couldn't believe the time they had put in and there were lots of emails from marshals at Greeba who had searched their section and said they would search more thoroughly today on their day off. Really these guys and girls need more praise. I told the head lady to forget about it, some magpie is probably building a nest with them and I have spares coming. I was joking about Terry and his white stick and she reckoned then when the lads come back with a stray dog for me then I have to get worried.

Anyway about 8am engine just about changed a few small things to do we decided to go to the Manor Pub to watch the sidecar 1 race. Had rang Slick Bass and was booked in for 8:00 the next morning. Went to the pub and Conrad Harris the winner of the first sidecar race was there, had good craíc watching the race which is a credit to ITV4 for their coverage and bed reasonably early.

Monday 2nd June Practice

Again up early the next morning and disturbed Denise and Terry, back to Slick Bass in the Orange Van of justice and on to the Dyno. Slick kept a back seat this time and Ben did the Dyno work. Unreal, I was in the Dyno room with a big fan keeping the engine at a steady running temperature of around 88-89 degrees by moving the fan in and out and Ben was mapping the bike by running it in every throttle position all through the curve. Mr.Dyno's extra ground had worked and the TPS sesor was spot on. Within 40 minutes he had the perfect torque / power curve some going.

Back to base and get ready for practice. All day it was threatening to rain and we got a few showers but at practice time it looked OK. The Superbikes went out and we were through scrutineering and in Parc Ferme. The lads were coming back in and we were literally putting our helmets on when word came though that there was a "significant incident" on the track and that racing was cancelled.

Bike back in everyone disappointed and a low key night into the deluxe apartment for one in the back of the truck.

Tuesday 3rd June

4:20am something’s not right it's getting bright but that's not it. My head is wet what the F*ck. Lashing rain outside the rain is pouring through the back door of the truck onto my pillow. Lovely what a great start.

Get up and mill around with my now normal Crunchy Nut breakfast. Decided to go to the physio tent and get my arms taped and my shoulder sorted. One of the perks as they really look after you. Now not sure if it's a gimmick or what but all the top lads were getting the arms tapped for arm pump so I said why not. Strange standing outside a tent at 8:30am with your top off and a woman shaving your arms but over here nobody blinks an eyelid.

Funny kind of a day nothing to do with the bike for a change as it was prepped for last night. Milled around for the day and then got word that there was to be a practice that night as last night was cancelled. Again got the bike through scrutineering and into Parc Ferme all set with helmets on when we got word it was raining and practice was cancelled.
It's hard to put your feelings in check when you’re all geared up, the bike is geared up and your ready to go then the rug is pulled. Now the clerk of the course has a very though job and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it but in saying that most competitors would be willing to go in the wet and let's face it we're well use to it in Ireland but the course is very unforgiving and you have to go by the official decision.

Wednesday 4th June

Up early excited, feck it new motor, unknown gearing, no testing what could possible go wrong. At least it's been on the Dyno and mapped out. Again bike is still prepped 2 days now. Weather is good but forecast rain in the afternoon we're scheduled for 2:30pm after the TT Zero and the Supersport. TT Zero goes off at 10:45 and no issues John Mc Guinness wins for Mugen with an average of 117mph. The Supersport is off next and Micheal Dunlop does the job. While that is going on were gearing up and getting the bike into Parc Ferme. The prize giving is on for the Supersport and we get the 15 minute beep. Heading for the start straight getting the helmet on when Gary Thompson comes on the Tannoy. Delay in start 15 minutes course inspection. 15 minutes later no race today too wet up the mountain. You can't imagine what that's like 3 days in a row to be geared up almost putting the helmet on and to be stood down. This f*cks everything.

I had it all sorted, race today back on the boat with Lento and the boys. Lift to Port Laoise and make my own way home. 3-4 of the lads had come over the day before to see the race and were going home that night.

Another night of waiting had to ring Aedín and explain the race was cancelled and it would be on tomorrow or not at all. Don't know how I'm getting home now.

Thursday 5th June

The way the race meeting is laid out in the Isle of Man is to have a race then a spare day afterwards in case of bad weather to run it the next day. Well I can tell you that the Thursday was everything that the Wednesday was not. Woke up to glorious sunshine and blue skies, yes this was it no messing today. Again had my usual power breakfast got the bike into Parc Ferme as it was ready for the last 2 days, nothing to do but fuel it to the gills for a 12:15am start. All set and ready to go.

Up on the start for the race and the crowds are massive more people come over for race week especially the 2nd half and the senior so the place was crazy. Was nervous about this race as having done a few laps around Bishopscourt with this engine I new it was going to be singing and I didn't know if I was up to the job, but to late for that now.

Pa got the pat on the back of the back and off down Bray hill. The bike was singing thanks be to feck considering it was a new engine and no testing. 1st lap down and no incidents then Pa was putting his left hand back and flexing the glove on the straights. I thought he was wondering if I was OK and shook his hand and still it came back then I thought his glove was wrong and tried to pull it up on his hand. Then over the mountain the bike didn't feel right. Down into Hillberry and there was head shake, into signpost and the bike nearly went around in a ring. We pulled in before governors dip. Now I know there are pretty bad things that can happen to you in this world and thankfully we both have our health but that feeling when you pull in after being hyped up to the last on Adrenaline and the bike is stopped while other competitors go by to say its depressing is putting it mildly.

We sat on the bike unsure what the hell was wrong, broken frame, who knows but unsafe to continue. Got the word from the marshals then when all competitors went by we could go and get across the line at least we would get a finishers medal. Everyone went by, pushed the bike and down into governors dip, do you think the f*ucker would start no way, battery dead, poxy race generator, should be fired over the nearest ditch. Had to push it all the way back around the pits and up to the truck thanks to some kind spectators and Terry who cycled down. What an end to a mad week.

It turned out after that we had a flat tire on the rear and our only saving grace to put some sort of a positive spin on it was that it was at Signpost that Pa discovered it, because 2 corners later was the bottom of Bray hill at around 130mph. Incidentally Pa putting his hand back was because he had arm pump because of the head shake not dodgy gloves.

Dejection back at the truck, you can prepare for so much but a bloody puncture after a year’s build up is so bloody frustrating. We brought the wheel up to Avon and he pumped it up and it stayed up so to this day the cause of deflation is unknown as the tire pressure was checked going out.

Nothing to do only go drinking, put myself on standby for the ferry, no luck.

Friday 6th June Senior Day

Got up and decided to go down to the port early and get myself and Ailse on the standby list. Went off on Phil's Fireblade and such a farce I've never know, well until Garth Brooks but I went into the Steam Packet to get the names on the standby list and they said they had only one standby list and until the ferry went for Liverpool at 17:45pm they could only start a new list for the 1:30am ferry for Larne. Now I'm no expert but how bloody hard could it be to get an A4 sheet and put a name and a phone number down on it for standby. Bloody ridiculous. Anyway got to see some racing for the first time ever and watched the senior down at Governors dip with Michael Dunlop again winning. It's amazing we don't appreciate the arm bands were given as competitors but we pretty much have access to every area except the VIP lounge. You can get so close to the lads and lasses it's something else.

Met up with our friend come sponsor Davy Carlton from Belfast who is a legend of a man in all sense of the word. Davy lives for road racing and every morning would arrive into the awning with a bag of shopping including milk, bread, fruit and the biscuits for us. He was going to bring me to Belfast from Larne on the back of the bike to come back up in the Micra of Justice for Ailse and away into the sunset. Got on the Ferry, Davy got a few guys in a van and managed to get us dropped off in Belfast airport which was a lucky job as it was pissing rain. One last twist of faith went to start the Micra and the bloody battery was dead. Jumps start from the airport guys in the lashing of rain and down the road home.

Epilogue

Well what can I say it was a mad 9 days as I'm now constantly reminded by Aedín. Would I do it again... not half, roll on 2015 if anyone would have me. As I said earlier it's like a drug and it's very hard to shake. Would I recommend anyone else to go, definitely.Again I would just like to say thanks to everyone that helped out, raised a few quid, just gave advice or said good luck, it all means a lot and the 2015 fund is always open.
The last night we were there we went for a "it's all over and we made it for another year meal", only to find out that one of the lads at home in the sidecar scene had told Terry to get the group a meal out, that's the kind of surprising generosity that people have shown us for essentially doing your hobby. By the way the Caviar and Strawberries were unreal.

As far as Ireland goes if anyone is interested give me a shout and I'll try and point you in the right direction or better again the Irish sidecar supporters club are on the net if you need any information.

If you put in Pa Gill Racing you'll get the Face book page and you can follow the latest goings on thanks to Ailse who's constantly updating it.

Hope you made it to the end. I might have raved on a bit too much but it was a bit of a mental few day, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Admin; 10th February 2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 16th July 2014, 10:54 AM
Broke racer.

Epic story Aidan,see you soon and thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 11:41 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23142 from Dublin
2,522 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Few
Modifications: not yet

Amazing your living the life
well done to the TEAM and thanks for sharing
Old 16th July 2014, 06:20 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 21341
566 posts since Apr 2010

excellent story, best of luck for next year
Old 17th July 2014, 02:24 PM
Nitro Nori #41

Biker.ie Member No. 12199 from Athlone
1,086 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: 09 WR250F & 05 ZX10R

unreal story fair play to you

must keep and eye out for a spin on one of those up in mondello, savage crack i'd say
Old 17th July 2014, 10:29 PM
Donating member-wantabit?

Biker.ie Member No. 9849
2,669 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: BMW K100
Modifications: 40,000 miles

What a great read! thanks.
Closed Thread

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
adventures, racer