Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,353 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy
Default Re: Adventures of a TT Racer

Have you seen this picture ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patrick giltenane.jpg (92.4 KB)
Old 11th June 2014, 08:17 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,469 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

This is a great thread...

Thanks for the effort & sharing. Well done to yourself & the crew. Fantastic stuff.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 30247 from Killarney
1,933 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: R1 Race #3 & BMW Gs1200
Modifications: Ach aye

I was chatting to ya outside the saddle inn one night 'late'
Mad heur
Old 11th June 2014, 08:55 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,128 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Great reading, looking forward to the next bit, often wondered about fitness on one of those it must be seriously hard going for over 100miles of constant (1g ?) cornering around those twisty roads with feic all suspension movement to soak up the bumps and vibrations ! have ye got a blutooth headset in those helmets to talk to each other or anything, what happens if the passener get a cramp or something, how does the rider know to slow down for a few corners ?

Must be some craic all the same esp. over the mountain section, was that Pa who was offering free rides last year at mondello to get people interested ?
Old 11th June 2014, 10:09 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,513 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Anyway geared up and told Pa, look give me until Greeba to get familiar with everything which is 5 miles in and a sensible amount of corners to get used to things. No problem he says I'll take it handy it's all about getting you right on the bike tonight.

Sssssssssssucker
Old 11th June 2014, 12:41 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 31273 from Lucan
160 posts since Apr 2013
Modifications: False teeth

Great account. Roll on the next chapter
Old 11th June 2014, 01:05 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,678 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

great read, keep em coming
Old 11th June 2014, 01:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31665 from Wexford
409 posts since Jun 2013
Motorbike: 2005 Gsxr 750
Modifications: Few

Great read man it must be some feeling flat out and you not in control of the gas you'd want nerves of steel .
Old 11th June 2014, 03:24 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28798 from Dublin
32 posts since Apr 2012
Motorbike: CBF650F

Originally Posted by Admin
Great reading, looking forward to the next bit, often wondered about fitness on one of those it must be seriously hard going for over 100miles of constant (1g ?) cornering around those twisty roads with feic all suspension movement to soak up the bumps and vibrations ! have ye got a blutooth headset in those helmets to talk to each other or anything, what happens if the passener get a cramp or something, how does the rider know to slow down for a few corners ?

Must be some craic all the same esp. over the mountain section, was that Pa who was offering free rides last year at mondello to get people interested ?
Theres no headsets for communications, if the passenger gets a cramp then they better hope it goes away soon! Usually, if a passenger needs the rider to slow off a bit, you give them a tap on the back. It differs slightly between teams, one tap might mean theres someone faster coming up, and then maybe two taps means roll off the throttle a bit. Tapping is the only way to communicate though.
Old 11th June 2014, 04:19 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 31316 from Antrim
26 posts since Apr 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbf 600

Class, great read.
Old 11th June 2014, 04:37 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 3924
5,205 posts since Oct 2006

Worth a sticky this ....
Old 11th June 2014, 04:48 PM
Holy Shit Batman!

Biker.ie Member No. 9833
3,098 posts since May 2008

great stuff aiden - was cheering ye on over there

great stuff in first race - gutted ye didn't get finished in the second
Old 12th June 2014, 12:22 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3376 from Wexford
464 posts since Jul 2006
Motorbike: R6 and a load of Cub 90's
Modifications: Sidecar

Thanks all and it was great meeting so many people over who were enjoying themselves myself included, not all hard work.

Part 3

Well we took off through Saint Ninians Cross and down Bray hill like a scalded cat I was trying to remember which corners I should work. I had it all in my mind before we started but now it went into a bit of a blur. Right, concentrate on the moment OK bottom of Bray hill make yourself into a ball head down and weight against the back wheel. It's hard to describe Bray hill it was only last year when I walked up it that I realised how bloody steep it is.

This is a 30 second video of last year at the bottom of Bray we had a 20 cent oil seal on the cap off the oil swirl pot that let us down after an all night engine change and had to pull in to bodge a repair as I was getting covered in oil. As a result the leaders caught up on us. I could see Conrad was behind us and I signaled to Pa that there was someone ready to overtake, in our case I squeeze the back of his left leg and you can see in the clip that he moves completely off line to let him by. You can also see me looking up like a meer cat while Conrads passenger is invisible but I'm working on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-62vRGwnVU
OK survived that now Ago's leap a left hander with a jump did I work that or not, I can't remember better work it, then hard on the breaks into Quarterbridge I was a bit slow in bracing myself and got fired onto the front of the fairing I held on and threw myself over the back wheel of the bike. OK so much for f**king taking it easy to Greeba. I should of know better telling a racer to slow down. Anyway luckily by the time we came through Union mills 3 miles in I was I won't say comfy but happy enough with my new handles and in a bit of a rhythm. It's amazing how quick it comes back to you. Mainly because you have no choice. Also adrenalin is an amazing thing.

Click the image to open in full size.

As we were flying along I noticed the bike wasn't screaming in 6th especially along Sulby straight but other than that it was going well. You know when your really on it on Sulby as it's so bumpy that your eyes blur and all you can see is the ditches. This wasn't happening so I new we were down on power.

We got held up a good bit going into Ramsey as the outfit in front of us was all over the road. As I mentioned earlier there is a signalling system between the rider and the passenger. We're very civilised in the sidecar world. Because the outfits are so much wider than the solo boys and a bit more care is needed. That's not saying that there is no banging and shoving But in the Isle of Man if another outfit is right up your ass he's already made 10 seconds up on you as that's the interval were set apart at so normally on left handers I can take one hand off and look back. If there's someone all over us or closing fast I squeeze Pa's leg, he keeps to the left I give the thumbs up to the bike behind and away they go normally with some sort of salute from the passenger.

Unfortunately that was not happening this time but we eventually got by coming into Ramsey. From Ramsey Hairpin onwards you are heading up the mountain. This is one of my favourite parts of the track, it's nearly all flat out, perfect tarmac and great views to boot. A lot of it is like short circuit especially windy corner.

I was feeling OK, I thought at this stage I was going to crunched in ball in the middle of the chair hanging on for dear life after banging the back off Pa to slow the hell down. We made it down through Governers dip and up for the last bend before the finish line and saw red flags everywhere and we were directed into the pit. When we stopped race control announce that there was an emergency near the track and racing was suspended.

I forgot to say that the ACU said I needed 3 laps to entitle me to race on Saturday. That was 1 and we had 1 more practice session the next night. Luckily the ambulance was gone quickly and we were given the all clear to go for another lap. Lap 1 was a 98.4mph standing start along with being held up and red flagged so happy with that. The 2nd lap I told Pa that he could drive on as I was comfortable

All went without problems and the cover photo over Ballaugh Bridge occurred where he got a bit throttle happy and we went airbourne for a couple of seconds. 2nd lap 99.6mph getting better again standing start and red flagged.

Got back in and I was fairly sore I had got banged around a fair bit and was feeling exhausted but happy that at least I could hold on. Only one thing to do now hit the pub hard.

I went out for a good sup and then realised where I was going to be sleeping that night in the top bunk of the truck that you had to climb up the ladder of death turn yourself into some sort of contortionist and roll in. After 5 minutes of trying to position the ladder I fell in

Friday 30th May

Up early the next morning to decide what to do about the bike it was definitely down on power the speed from Sulby speed trap was down around 130mph still respectable for a 600 with two on it but the leaders are pulling 144mph which makes a hell of a difference. We had two engines this year sponsored by the legend which is Ian Duff of Absol Engineering.

This was a very big deal, they were a 2012 & 2013 GSXR 600 engines. The one we had in was bog standard and the one we had in reserve was tuned to the nines. It was an ex BSB engine tuned by Hoegee.

Now the decision to replace the engine or run as standard. My vote was to stick as standard get the lap needed to get me qualified and run race one on the standard. Then change the engine all day Sunday, test it on practice session Monday and run it for race two on Wednesday. Now nobody normally listens to me but in this case we all decided that was the best course of action.

Now some information for people that like very technical details on engines and tuning. Feel free to skip this section although I will do my best to explain this as I learned so much in the couple of day.

Skip unless you want to loose the will to live. Technical Bull
There is a custom loom in the sidecar that has an EN Pro ECU on top of that there is a Yoshi Box and on top of that there is a Power Commander III. I would consider this complete overkill but here is the reasoning behind it. The Yoshi Box is very good for putting in a power map (Fuel to Air), but the Power Commander is even More Accurate at putting a map in and it controls the quickshifter. Now Pa had had the bike on the rolling road before we went to the Isle of man but the engine that was in it at the time was the tuned one so the fueling was off for the standard engine hence the power was down. A few people came by on Friday to give there input and look at the mapping

Person Number 1
All will remain nameless. He hooked into the yoshi box and read the settings there was a lot extra fueling at the top end of the throttle position such as 70 -90% extra which he reckoned would suggest a fuel starvation problem. Looked in the exhaust and say it was white in the centre hence it was running lean. Encouraged us to check the fuel lines and pressure.

Person Number 2
Hooked up to the power commander again looked at high fueling at the top of the throttle position and said there was a problem. Put in a base map on the Yoshi box and started to input settings into the Power Commander.

In between person number 2 & 3 we took the fuel filter off and it looked like it had collapsed a bit so managed to get a new one and fit it.

Person Number 3
Was from Dynojet and knew his shit inside out. Tested the fuel pressure using his gauge which made our gauge look like it was out by 2 Bar (quite a lot), and put in readings the best he could with the caveat that this was all guess work and that we really needed a rolling road.

At this stage I was loosing the will to live.

Right boring bit over back to the practice

Friday night and again we were out first 6pm - 6:40pm. Got the bike back together and brought it up for scrutiny as usual an hour before we were going out. All passed and we buttoned it up. It comes apart in 3 sections. 2 can be seen below, the kneeler is missing which covers the back wheel and the engine and naturally enough it's where the rider kneels.

Got to the start line all the same as the day before bike revving out well and the starter lets us off and the bike goes like a bag of shite.

By the end of pit lane we knew it was fucked and kept going to Quarterbridge a mile down the road. I asked Pa could we nurse it around to get the lap but when we tried it again it was no use no way would it rev out. Pulled in at Bradon Bridge disgusted. Back to the drawing board.

Had a good laugh with the head marshal on the bridge, Eric who knew some of our gang Pete the Paddy AKA Peter Farrelly and watched the sidecar practice and the electric bikes all 6 of them. Then Eric said we could drive back as soon as the course car had passed. We had the gear on and ready to go as soon as the car passed we said good luck to the marshals and were off.
Now the roads were officially open and everyone was walking along not expecting to see a sidecar roaring along the road. The banter with everyone was great with most people clapping. Then we got to the bottom of Bray hill and the lights were red. First in the queue the cameras were flashing everywhere. Then Saint Ninians at the top of Bray hill red lights again. I'll never forget the professional cameraman who had put all his gear away into his bag and then seen us stopped at the lights he must have thought Christmas had come early. He was pulling and pulling at his bag and the camera wouldn't come out. Then the lights went green and the poor guy he was in pieces. Goes to show you why all the good guys always have a camera around their neck.

Back to the truck for analysis. There were that many things changed on the bike over the course of the day it was a mess. The only solution was to get it on the rolling road and dyno it properly. Now we didn't even know if we could race the next day as I had only done 2 laps of the 3 needed. Luckily there was a meeting that night and as there were a lot of newcomers that had not qualified due to cancelled practices during the week it was decided that we could run. I think the fact that I'd done it twice before I was fairly certain we would get in so that was one monkey off our back.

Managed to get hold of number for a guy with a Dyno called Slick Bass (would you trust a guy with a name like that), only by text and at 1:30am in the morning arranged to have the bike there for 7:30am in the North of the island near Jurby in a place called Andreas. The race was 14:30pm we had also discoved a small crack in the bottom of the fuel tank that needed welding. Oh the joys of sidecar racing.

Terry our head mechanic and Denise were sleeping in a big orange van for the 2 weeks and kindly offered to take the bike to the dyno in the morning at 5:30am. Charlie one of the guys from the island and Phil said they would be there in the morning to help

Off to bed at 2am on race day sleeping now on a single mattress and sleeping bag the dog has been on in the back of the truck as I can't be bothered to get into that trap of a bed. Racing doesn't get anymore glamours.

Not much more now if your still reading.

To be Continued.....................

Last edited by Admin; 10th February 2015 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 12th June 2014, 12:08 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23142 from Dublin
2,522 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Few
Modifications: not yet

mega might have a go next year
Old 12th June 2014, 01:03 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 14009
1 posts since Jan 2009
Motorbike: R1
Modifications: Trioval can

i defo think the crew should be playing a bigger part in this epic adventure. Spinach salads, sugar puffs (with top-ups), crunchy nut cornflakes, finger wrapping, clothes washing... ahem.. so I heard anyway.
Old 12th June 2014, 01:30 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,678 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

sticky thread material defo ☺ we always get stories in the mags about the top racers, this
is so refreshing and different
Old 12th June 2014, 03:53 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 31003
87 posts since Feb 2013
Motorbike: Suzuki gsxr750
Modifications: Lots

Well done Aidan been following your progress as the week unfolded. But great read (while working lol) better luck next year. I need to give that passengering thing a go next time if pa would be so kind as to let me monkey for a lap or two :).
Old 12th June 2014, 06:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,513 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Originally Posted by XGXSRChick
i defo think the crew should be playing a bigger part in this epic adventure. Spinach salads, sugar puffs (with top-ups), crunchy nut cornflakes, finger wrapping, clothes washing... ahem.. so I heard anyway.
Old 12th June 2014, 07:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3075 from Ennis (or the Matrix)
421 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: k1GSXR1000,CBR600FX track
Modifications: Beowulf CarbonWarrior Can

This is a class thread. Enjoying every single letter of it.... keep it comin
Old 12th June 2014, 07:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2186 from Dublin/Kildare
3,516 posts since Sep 2005
Motorbike: Lots of stuff
Modifications: Biker.ie gold stickers