Old 22nd December 2009, 11:39 AM
Gravel trap tester. #147

Biker.ie Member No. 11955 from Dublin
3,281 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: BMW F650, xj600, CB500.
Modifications: micron race can, crash bo
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by Jay
Not being dicks at all ,just questioning your 'advice' that'll get people hurt , again , where is there a track that you can pay for laps ?
+1

No one is been a dick except you lad. I don`t Know you and your probably a nice lad, but FFS stop giving advice that goes against every thing you learn from day 1 on the track.

It must be that private track that honda built not too long ago. Some where in meath wasn`t it? Anyone want to go half`s on a couple of hours?
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:40 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3529
1,361 posts since Aug 2006
Motorbike: 1996 XJR 1200

Originally Posted by Adamt GT250R
Dont think i'm sayin anythin more bout it, people r takin d piss 2 much 4 no reason, and i've already been told to "stfu", and dont wana go namin names incase i get sum1 in trouble wit sum sap off here goin reportin it.....ruin all our fun!
first off, i said to tell the racer what you posted so he could tell you to stfu. which if he's not an imaginary friend he will cos you're talking utter bullshit

second off, if yer mate is in tuning this formula vee, then there'd be nothing else on the track bar you, so how would you have anything faster coming behind you

thirdly, and this is quite important, the lad is going racing and wants advise from someone that is involved in it, and you gave advise that could easily kill people and/or destroy machinery

lastly, there are staff and marshals from all the circuits on this website, and i can tell you that there is no way that they would "give" the circuit to a lad just cos he's a racer, and let his mates go out on the circuit on their bikes while he tinkers with the vee, they have to have marshals around the circuit and ambulances, or they would be found negligent and i'm pretty damn sure that no circuit is going to fork out for all that for someone that races a vee

maybe best off stop digging a hole for yourself unless you're going to get into it ?

Last edited by marshalsview; 22nd December 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:09 PM
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place

Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07

We all chip in for him to get bout 2-3 hours of open track practice time, he spends sum time on d track, pulls in 2 tune/ fix d cage, and we run a few laps, thats all, i jus found it was a good way of gettin on a track if ya can organise it and dont wana actually race, jus tryna help

No need 2 b dicks bout it lads, bit harsh like!
In fairnes, if you give advice you have to know what you are talking about.
Think lads are giving out because info you gave was, to put it lightly "misleading" i.e. usless and contradictory to normal rules of a track/race day. Also, we are talking about Bike racing and not cage so some difference in rules will also come into play.
Pissing around the track following cage not gonna get you far and its not something that anyone would recomend or sugest.
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:43 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 8307
661 posts since Feb 2008

Racing is addictive. I started racing in Irish Clubmans when I was 52 and had two great years. Please note I wrote this some years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf starting-racing-by-Ian-Marshall.pdf (167.7 KB)

Last edited by Admin; 7th December 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: thread updated
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:56 PM
hairdresser

Biker.ie Member No. 2246 from Westmeath
4,668 posts since Sep 2005
Motorbike: 600rr's , zxr4 , bandit12ish

Great write up , that covers the most of it , the only changes are the flag seminar and the training day new licence holders have to do
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 17793 from A house
5,638 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: Big black one
Modifications: sure its a honda

Dont think i'm sayin anythin more bout it, people r takin d piss 2 much 4 no reason, and i've already been told to "stfu", and dont wana go namin names incase i get sum1 in trouble wit sum sap off here goin reportin it.....ruin all our fun!
pure and utter loada bollix talk
are you nt the lad that posted about burning it up the road against a little cage there a few weeks ago
you shouldnt be advising people on something you dont know about yourself
leave it to the lads that do
thats all anyone is saying to you
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25947
12,889 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: R6mbo

Like i said lads, my mate gets d track to practice cos he's a racer, we're allowed in, dats all, it aint a race, its jus lads on a spin except on a track, its a gud way 2 get ya used 2 it b4 ya start racin.

i did say any1 i'v heard of racin d first time out has binned it, i was only givin him advice on how he cud get started cos dats wat we did!
and are you racing?
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:31 PM
Supporter

id say, like andrei said, or any of the lads would advise, if you wna spend under 2000 you might get a pre 97 cbr with spares or a 400, theres a 05 r6 on donedeal for 3000 with spares but then ud be racin supersport. id say get a pre 97 or a 400 and get yourself out for a heap of trackdays to get the buzz, considerin goin for the race licence meself but id like to maybe do more trackdays before i race.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:00 PM
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place

Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07

Originally Posted by rambo600
id say, like andrei said, or any of the lads would advise, if you wna spend under 2000 you might get a pre 97 cbr with spares or a 400, theres a 05 r6 on donedeal for 3000 with spares but then ud be racin supersport. id say get a pre 97 or a 400 and get yourself out for a heap of trackdays to get the buzz, considerin goin for the race licence meself but id like to maybe do more trackdays before i race.
Ah go on... You are flying it.
Would've been nice to see you on the grids in 2010.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:18 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
I might just get there Andrei, I certainly will try. What bikes are raced in pre 97 and is the ss 400 where the 250s and 650s race too
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:21 PM
Supporter

Jay im still staggered at how quickly you guessed who i was. Do you not think the 1000 class is a bit too much for a total beginner
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:25 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
i think im gonna for the craic andrei, just need to get quicker. pickin up spares with wets at the weekend but think theyre the wrong discs, ill get them tho. lad gonna fit damper for me and i might stock up on tyres if i go back to stafford show in early 2010

odd leg, acc to jay, it sounds like ya need fook all advice or any more trackdays, get out and race lad. we'll all eat andrei's biscuits on him and drink his tae at the vans. the pre 97 lads are on 600's older than 1997, most of em go for cbr600's. theres a few of em on donedeal from 1600 to 2000. think illeagles_mcc on this site has a good race prepared one for sale that he raced this year
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:30 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 12773 from tipperary
959 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: o6 sv650 racebike #18/ktm 200 enduro
Modifications: Murphy Fuels/ JarJar Photography

Originally Posted by odd leg
Jay im still staggered at how quickly you guessed who i was. Do you not think the 1000 class is a bit too much for a total beginner
ive a sv i raced last year for sale with loads of spares
ideal track bike
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:47 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by rambo600
i think im gonna for the craic andrei, just need to get quicker. pickin up spares with wets at the weekend but think theyre the wrong discs, ill get them tho. lad gonna fit damper for me and i might stock up on tyres if i go back to stafford show in early 2010

odd leg, acc to jay, it sounds like ya need fook all advice or any more trackdays, get out and race lad. we'll all eat andrei's biscuits on him and drink his tae at the vans. the pre 97 lads are on 600's older than 1997, most of em go for cbr600's. theres a few of em on donedeal from 1600 to 2000. think illeagles_mcc on this site has a good race prepared one for sale that he raced this year
Thanks Rambo i will make it out on some bike or other, this year if at all possible, I will look up that bike later.. I presume you are racing too.How many other lads out there in my age group? ie 50+
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:47 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Get yourself a good honda 90 and try racing that first. If you buy a 1000, you wont be able to see where you are going, and Jay will have to pick you up and put you in the ambulance AGAIN.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 14208
9,768 posts since Feb 2009

Thanks Rambo i will make it out on some bike or other, this year if at all possible, I will look up that bike later.. I presume you are racing too.How many other lads out there in my age group? ie 50+
Originally Posted by bow leg
Get yourself a good honda 90 and try racing that first. If you buy a 1000, you wont be able to see where you are going, and Jay will have to pick you up and put you in the ambulance AGAIN.
ye's 2 should hook up and one of ye's can cover da rear brake while da other does da gears
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by keep 'er lit
ye's 2 should hook up and one of ye's can cover da rear brake while da other does da gears
Been showing the f#cker the way around Mondello for years.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bow leg
I will buy two bikes if you are willing to come racing too:
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:00 PM
Supporter

ive only done trackdays oddleg, next step is racin.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:04 PM
Supporter

I will buy two bikes if you are willing to come racing too:
I wouldn't ride the shite that you would. I'll buy me own. Your on. I hope they have two ambulances at these race meetings. Could get interesting.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
race