Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Reply
 
  #181  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:25 PM
Furious Famicom Faggot Furious Famicom Faggot is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17793 from A house
5,638 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: Big black one
Modifications: sure its a honda
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by odd leg
I guess we are about to find out Andrei... to hell with it im going to give it a go and if it gets exciting,,, well so much the better i say. By my reasoning it will take a little while to get used to it but we should be well able to give as good as we get.
you have the right frame of mind my man and id say thats half the battle
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:31 PM
Rambo#15 Rambo#15 is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 25947
12,889 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: R6mbo
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by captain jack sparrow
you have the right frame of mind my man and id say thats half the battle
"Choose your weapons!!!!!!!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:36 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Fireblade please...
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:45 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by captain jack sparrow
you have the right frame of mind my man and id say thats half the battle
Thats the crazy thing Captain Jack, Its the result of a crash last year in which i broke my ankle wrist and ribs and got badly beaten up.... For the previous years i had thought that a serious crash would certainly do permanent damage ( im 53 and not in the greatest physical condition ) but i realise now that i can do it and dont have to die in the process and its made me realise that if i dont just do it now then i never will.. and would it not be terrible to head into old age telling myself that i had not the balls to do it.. and they say the things you regret are the things you did NOT do
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:51 PM
Rambo#15 Rambo#15 is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 25947
12,889 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: R6mbo
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by odd leg
Thats the crazy thing Captain Jack, Its the result of a crash last year in which i broke my ankle wrist and ribs and got badly beaten up.... For the previous years i had thought that a serious crash would certainly do permanent damage ( im 53 and not in the greatest physical condition ) but i realise now that i can do it and dont have to die in the process and its made me realise that if i dont just do it now then i never will.. and would it not be terrible to head into old age telling myself that i had not the balls to do it.. and they say the things you regret are the things you did NOT do
i did NOT drink porter today and i sure as fooook regret leavin me cans behind!!!
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 25th December 2009, 11:57 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by rambo600
i did NOT drink porter today and i sure as fooook regret leavin me cans behind!!!
My point exactly Rambo
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 26th December 2009, 12:47 PM
bow leg's Avatar
bow leg bow leg is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.
Default Re: want to race

Andrei, got any tip on what to look out for when buying a pre97 cbr, and what kind of spec do you use re tyres, suspension, brakes etc? Don't need a rocket, but don't want to waste money buying a dog either. Not interested in building one, Don't have the know how.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 26th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by bow leg
Andrei, got any tip on what to look out for when buying a pre97 cbr, and what kind of spec do you use re tyres, suspension, brakes etc? Don't need a rocket, but don't want to waste money buying a dog either. Not interested in building one, Don't have the know how.
Most important thing is the suspension and good engine.
I just fitted K-Tech Valves and K-Tech Springs and its a lot better, although didnt have it on the track yet (just around the block). Rear shock makes big difference to handeling as well.(i havent got a good one yet, running shock from CBR600 F4i but its better then stock).
Think some lads are running ported/flown engines but i wouldnt go that far, its clubsman after all so standard well running engine should do the job well.
tuned carbs are a good contribution though. Im running DynoJet Stage 1 and its running way better then standard.
Full exaust systems will help as well.
Fireblade/Brembo/R1 Master Cylinders help to stop you like no others when used with SS Brake Lines and Race Brake Pads.
Tires - Any good race compound tires are good. Bridgestones are good value for money. Most lads are running 120/70/17 front (120/60/17 standsrd) soft compound and 160/60/17 rear Medium compound i think.
Make sure you get second set of wheels with good brake disks and posibly usable/new wets on them.
After that you are looking at usual race mods - rearsets, Race Rev Counter/Temp Gauge, Steering Damper, Quick Shifter, Clip-on's.
If the bike comes with aftermarket Rearsets and Clip-on handle bars you wanna make sure that you get spares with them or at least know where to get them in case of a crash.
Also i know that some lads are running without alternators to make engine rev faster but then you have to make sure the battery is at 100% all the time (i do not like this mod).

Probably missing something that lads can add.

P.S. Straight frame and forks will help the handeling as well
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 26th December 2009, 01:36 PM
bow leg's Avatar
bow leg bow leg is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.
Default Re: want to race

Good man, but it will take me two days decode what you said. I ment tips like, "make sure there is no blue smoke coming out of the fuckin engine". "It has two wheels WITH tyres already on them" Stuff like that. I'm used to turning the key and fuckin off down the road. My toolbox consists of a lumphammer, and a bigger lumphammer.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 26th December 2009, 01:48 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Andrei Do you know if the quick shifter will change down gear or are they for going up only
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 26th December 2009, 02:11 PM
bow leg's Avatar
bow leg bow leg is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.
Default Re: want to race

Only messing Andrei. Those are good tips for after I buy the bike. I ride a CBR 600 rr road bike on track. Andy Grimshaw has max'ed the standard suspension on it, and am still eating the tyres off it. Two trackdays from dunlop gp racers. So racing should not be so different for me on the tyre front. Have braided lines, race pads, etc so know how important they are. Already have tyre warmers, paddock stands, helmet. One piece leathers on the way. I want to buy a good base unit, but know fuck all about mechanics. Will prob head for Engerlund to get something, so will be on my own when buying. Info on how to check that the frame is straight, engine is not knackered, etc would be a big help. Any info on not buying a dog really. thanks people.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 26th December 2009, 03:01 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by odd leg
Andrei Do you know if the quick shifter will change down gear or are they for going up only
Quick shifters only work on the upshift, for downshifting some throttle bliping is required as per normal.
Regarding overall bike condition, check with seller when where the valves checked last, how often was oil/filter changed. Give the bike good look if possible with farings off the bike to better asses it. Only takes a few minutes the get the farings off anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Pit the bike on stands and check brake disks for warping by turning front and rear wheels and to see if there is any sign of disks robbing of brake pads in same place.
Check the forks by looking down at them, although would be hard to spot small bend, but if you have something flat like a glass or similar you could put it against both forks below the lower fork clamp and check if glass sits perfect with out any play.
Check chain for tight spots/links and also check sprockets for wear.
Make sure you see the bike start from cold, warm up and take it for a spin through the whole rev range even in first and second gears, do a smooth roll onin second as well and may be third to the how well the carbs are set up.
Was ages since I bought a bike so not too sure what else. Some one might add
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 26th December 2009, 03:20 PM
bow leg's Avatar
bow leg bow leg is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,518 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
Quick shifters only work on the upshift, for downshifting some throttle bliping is required as per normal.
Regarding overall bike condition, check with seller when where the valves checked last, how often was oil/filter changed. Give the bike good look if possible with farings off the bike to better asses it. Only takes a few minutes the get the farings off anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Pit the bike on stands and check brake disks for warping by turning front and rear wheels and to see if there is any sign of disks robbing of brake pads in same place.
Check the forks by looking down at them, although would be hard to spot small bend, but if you have something flat like a glass or similar you could put it against both forks below the lower fork clamp and check if glass sits perfect with out any play.
Check chain for tight spots/links and also check sprockets for wear.
Make sure you see the bike start from cold, warm up and take it for a spin through the whole rev range even in first and second gears, do a smooth roll onin second as well and may be third to the how well the carbs are set up.
Was ages since I bought a bike so not too sure what else. Some one might add
You're a gent. Hope you are this nice next year Have decided to go pre97 if I can get a bike that stays going. Might set up " GRUMPY OLD FART RACING" with odd leg.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 26th December 2009, 04:15 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by bow leg
You're a gent. Hope you are this nice next year Have decided to go pre97 if I can get a bike that stays going. Might set up " GRUMPY OLD FART RACING" with odd leg.
No worries, thanks. Ye two would make a perfect team I think. Best of luck with it.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 26th December 2009, 04:18 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Andrei I presume you dont have to use foot to change down then ? Hey... What you mean Grympy old fart racing with me??????
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 26th December 2009, 04:19 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Gimpy might be more to the point
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 26th December 2009, 04:49 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by odd leg
Andrei I presume you dont have to use foot to change down then ? Hey... What you mean Grympy old fart racing with me??????
Not exactly. With the quick shifter you use the foot to upshift from one gear to another but you do not have to use the clutch or decelerate while upshifting.
Think you are talking about handle bar gearchange for disabled riders. They alow you to upshift and downshift by just pressing buttons on the handle bar which control preside cylinder connected to the gear shift lever.
The one most people are talking about is a small digital box which oils ignition for set time so cluchless upshifts are possible. Makes you accelerate a tad faster on straights.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 26th December 2009, 05:11 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
Not exactly. With the quick shifter you use the foot to upshift from one gear to another but you do not have to use the clutch or decelerate while upshifting.
Think you are talking about handle bar gearchange for disabled riders. They alow you to upshift and downshift by just pressing buttons on the handle bar which control preside cylinder connected to the gear shift lever.
The one most people are talking about is a small digital box which oils ignition for set time so cluchless upshifts are possible. Makes you accelerate a tad faster on straights.
Yes its the handlebar one i was thinking of ok... Must investigate further
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 26th December 2009, 05:36 PM
Andrei "The Russian"'s Avatar
Andrei "The Russian" Andrei "The Russian" is offline
Masters 2011 - 3rd Place
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7696 from Limerick
4,144 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Mondello Track Instructor
Modifications: Yamaha R6 ' 07
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by odd leg
Yes its the handlebar one i was thinking of ok... Must investigate further
I'm making this quick shifter kill-boxes http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=99848 which are perfect for carbed or any other bikes. Have one fitted to mine as well. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll give you more info if needed. Go to the second page on the above link to see curent kill- boxes I make.

Last edited by Andrei "The Russian"; 26th December 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 26th December 2009, 06:41 PM
odd leg's Avatar
odd leg odd leg is offline
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,763 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes
Default Re: want to race

Originally Posted by Andrei "The Russian"
I'm making this quick shifter kill-boxes http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=99848 which are perfect for carbed or any other bikes. Have one fitted to mine as well. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll give you more info if needed. Go to the second page on the above link to see curent kill- boxes I make.
does this kill the engine only or can you connect it to a ram etc to do the gear shift
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
race


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heads up!Le Touquet beach race - worlds biggest race! CiaoPaddy Racing and Trackdays 6 21st February 2009 02:36 PM
Bayliss Wins Chaotic Race One as Race Two is Cancelled Admin News before the News 0 27th May 2007 06:50 PM
Biaggi Wins Race One, Toseland Takes Race Two Admin News before the News 0 24th February 2007 03:50 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed