Old 28th March 2019, 11:59 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
136 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein
Default Re: Mondello Track Days

Originally Posted by bow leg
Track training day will give you the very basics. It's more for the marshals to see if you can actually ride a bike. As you don't need a licence to do it, it's the only opportunity they will have to inspect your riding before they allow you out on track. Having said that, they will give you enough instruction to get you going on track and give you some confidence so you can have fun without the big worry. If you do a track day, you can have a marshal on a one to one all day long if you just ask Darren. Most lads are too afraid to ask for help. That's what the marshals are there to do. They get pissed off just riding round in a ring all day with nothing to do. It's much more satisfying to bring somebody along from the terror of "I'm gonna wreck myself and my bike, wtf am I doing at the top of pit lane?" (everybody has been there), to seeing a big grin on their face at the end of the day. Don't be afraid to ask. That is all.
Cool, was thinking of doing it initially, will they do faster stuff also? Gotta be up in Dublin that day and it would tie in nicely, did the last two track days last year so I'd like to learn some of the faster stuff. If it's just slow stuff for the day I'd rather bring the cage, beating up the m8 on a little 250 is something I need to be motivated for.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:25 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,525 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Originally Posted by seano
Cool, was thinking of doing it initially, will they do faster stuff also? Gotta be up in Dublin that day and it would tie in nicely, did the last two track days last year so I'd like to learn some of the faster stuff. If it's just slow stuff for the day I'd rather bring the cage, beating up the m8 on a little 250 is something I need to be motivated for.
Track training day will be of no use to you if you have already done a couple of trackdays. Go book a trackday for yourself in the intermediate group and ask Darren to appoint one of the marshals to you that you want some one to one sessions. Don't be surprised if the first session will be slower that you expect. He will be assessing your abilities on the bike. After that, he will give you some pointers and away you go. Just don't expect to be turned into Rossi overnight.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:13 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37968 from Cork
70 posts since Feb 2018
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR

Originally Posted by bow leg
If you do a track day, you can have a marshal on a one to one all day long if you just ask Darren. Most lads are too afraid to ask for help. That's what the marshals are there to do.
Cool, I guess it felt like they're available to help out, but they're not really there to give you a "full day 1:1 mentoring" as there might be other people interested in getting some help.
That's why I was interested in knowing if there were other options, even (obviously) paying a bit more. I would also like to have someone available throughout the day for setting up the bike (trying out some suspensions setting changes) and stuff like that.

Thanks for the tips though!
Old 31st March 2019, 02:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,525 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Originally Posted by fast3r
Cool, I guess it felt like they're available to help out, but they're not really there to give you a "full day 1:1 mentoring" as there might be other people interested in getting some help.
That's why I was interested in knowing if there were other options, even (obviously) paying a bit more. I would also like to have someone available throughout the day for setting up the bike (trying out some suspensions setting changes) and stuff like that.

Thanks for the tips though!
Not usually anyone there to do suspension officially. It doesn't cost any extra to get one to one instruction. If you get some advice after one session, you will need to practice that in the next session and so on. Most advice will change how you ride the bike and it will feel alien to you at first, hence you can't change too much in one day. You'll revert back to your old riding style by the next trackday if you don't keep practicing it. Change one thing at a time until it will come natural next day. It could take a year of trackdays to change a riding style. Patience grasshopper, patience. Wax on , wax off.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37968 from Cork
70 posts since Feb 2018
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR

Anybody here thinking of going to the track day (International) on Saturday the 18th of May?
Maybe from around Cork and happy to share a rental van?

This is this year's calendar from the official website BTW

INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Saturday April 27th
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday May 5th
TRACK DAY TRAINING - Wednesday May 15th
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Saturday May 18th
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday June 16th
NATIONAL TRACK - Monday June 24th
NATIONAL TRACK - Wednesday July 10th
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Saturday August 3rd
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday August 11th
INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday September 8th

Last edited by fast3r; 16th April 2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added shtuff