Old 14th August 2018, 07:53 AM #1
Wobbling Fledgling

Motorbike: Honda VFR800
Wobbling Fledgling

Rides: Honda VFR800
Visiting NW200 (from Australia)

I am seeking some information on visiting the NW200 (I know there is a website). My wife & I hope to visit Ireland in May next year, She wants to see a friend in Dublin, and I want to see some races at the NW200.
We may take a cottage in Ireland/N Ireland and then either use a car or train to reach destinations. Is this feasible for the NW200? and how near to Coleraine/Port Stewart would we need to be to get there for a day's racing?
20miles, 50miles, 70 miles? I take it you do not need to book stand ticket to see some of the racing - or is it best to do so?

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks John
The Mekon is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 08:03 AM #2
CyberSuicide

CyberSuicide

Re: Visiting NW200 (from Australia)

Ireland's public transport is a joke. Rent a car and a [email protected] [email protected] would be my advice.

Others will advise you better on the racing and the best spots to view from. Bring a rain [email protected] as it's always raining at the NW200.
Enjoy!

Last edited by green grass; 14th August 2018 at 09:08 AM.
green grass is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 08:35 AM #3
Supporter

Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600
Supporter

Rides: 2002 Bandit 600

why not hire a bike? loads of hire companies about now!
bandit_eile is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 10:55 AM #4
Solitary Confinement

Motorbike: Katana
Solitary Confinement

Rides: Katana

Yes hire a car and a house or Bed and breakfast, hotels etc.... lots to see in Northern Ireland along with the Nw200. Get there at least the day before the race on the Saturday as the Friday is good too and great atmosphere and classic bike night etc... on the Friday from the start finish area. In comparison to Australia nowhere is too far in Ireland, for example Dublin to North west = about 3 hrs in car. Yep bring warm clothes and rain gear and a radio to tune into NW commentary. I went around Australia 22 years ago on a CBR600 great craic, it took a year the place is so big. Also consider visiting Sligo, Galway, or Kilkenny and places right down south like Kerry etc.... have fun
VJMC is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 12:12 PM #5
Novice Racer

Motorbike: S1000r
Modifications: Usual
Novice Racer

Rides: S1000r
Mods: Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
I am seeking some information on visiting the NW200 (I know there is a website). My wife & I hope to visit Ireland in May next year, She wants to see a friend in Dublin, and I want to see some races at the NW200.
We may take a cottage in Ireland/N Ireland and then either use a car or train to reach destinations. Is this feasible for the NW200? and how near to Coleraine/Port Stewart would we need to be to get there for a day's racing?
20miles, 50miles, 70 miles? I take it you do not need to book stand ticket to see some of the racing - or is it best to do so?

Thanks John
My sister has a house that she will be renting out through airbnb next year.It's located in Draperstown,Co Derry and is fairly central to a lot of races.10 mins from Cookstown 100,30 mins from NW200 and Armoy and approx 40/45 mins from Ulster GP andTandragee.House sleeps 8-10 people and surrounded by some good biking roads through the Sperrin mountains.
Owen2737 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 12:39 PM #6
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard
MotoGP Star

Rides: Constantly changing
Mods: Always standard

Quote:

Thanks John
Hire a Camper Van and park overnight near the pits.
ENGLISH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 01:19 PM #7
Supporter

Motorbike: BMW K1200GT
Supporter

Rides: BMW K1200GT

Quote:

Thanks John
Send akkakkman a message, he's living close to you there in Sydney at the moment and he's been to the NW200 a few times
dsob80 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th August 2018, 09:37 PM #8
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: Classic superbike Yzf 750
Modifications: Petrol
Veteran Racer

Rides: Classic superbike Yzf 750
Mods: Petrol

Hire a cage
Stay in Letterkenny co donegal an hour from the circuit
Book your accommodation ASAP and leave early on the morning of the races as traffic is very heavy
Enjoy
mad maxx is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th August 2018, 09:46 AM #9
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Thank you everyone for these responses. I will be travelling with my wife, and although she can tolerate a couple of days racing, she will certainly not do campervans, or be on the back of my bike. (last time she did that was 33 years ago). Both Letterkenny and Draperstown look like good places, but we are only 2 so Owen2737 sister's place probably too big.

One question the website does not seem to answer is how can you move about the circuit on the day. Best to be on the inside or outside, and are there many crossovers?
Old 15th August 2018, 09:48 AM #10
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJMC View Post
Yes hire a car and a house or Bed and breakfast, hotels etc.... lots to see in Northern Ireland along with the Nw200. Get there at least the day before the race on the Saturday as the Friday is good too and great atmosphere and classic bike night etc... on the Friday from the start finish area. In comparison to Australia nowhere is too far in Ireland, for example Dublin to North west = about 3 hrs in car. Yep bring warm clothes and rain gear and a radio to tune into NW commentary. I went around Australia 22 years ago on a CBR600 great craic, it took a year the place is so big. Also consider visiting Sligo, Galway, or Kilkenny and places right down south like Kerry etc.... have fun
Thanks VJMC - I am a member of the VJMC so I presume you also have an interest in old Japanese bikes. MY VFR800 is a 50th anniversary model and I love the livery.
Old 15th August 2018, 10:57 AM #11
CyberSuicide

Motorbike: ltd1000 zx12
Modifications: just me
CyberSuicide

Rides: ltd1000 zx12
Mods: just me

My usual is stay maybe an hour or so away park up round the bk of metropole and spend the day making my way up along the coast.not the very best viewing areas in places but you'll manage.when your done you can do giants causeway and bushmills
kad is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th August 2018, 12:04 PM #12
Supporter

Motorbike: honda vfr
Supporter

Rides: honda vfr

Quote:
Thank you everyone for these responses. I will be travelling with my wife, and although she can tolerate a couple of days racing, she will certainly not do campervans, or be on the back of my bike. (last time she did that was 33 years ago). Both Letterkenny and Draperstown look like good places, but we are only 2 so Owen2737 sister's place probably too big.

One question the website does not seem to answer is how can you move about the circuit on the day. Best to be on the inside or outside, and are there many crossovers?

Hi, in between races you can move up and down the roads, the marshals will tell you when you can move, hope you have a great holiday,,,
vfr-honda is offline   ReplyReply
Old 16th August 2018, 09:20 PM #13
Supporter

Motorbike: r1200r, klr650, tzr125,++
Modifications: pipe,slippers, cappucino
Supporter

Rides: r1200r, klr650, tzr125,++
Mods: pipe,slippers, cappucino

Having come all the way from Australia, might be worth the extra few $€ to get a grandstand seat near the start/finish and paddock/pits area...at least you'll have a big screen to look at, to pass the time away while they faff around with sighting laps, tyre warmers, and whatever else goes on in between getting races underway.....NW200 almost always has long delays due to weather etc.

And you get to see all of the races and changes in the leaders/passes on the big screen, not just the brief bit of live action in front of your viewing spot. It's a 7 mile lap, so you'll be waiting a while before the pack comes around each time....

Plus access to discerning harley rider with tassels and tatts making mutual hitherto suggestive eyebrow movements while looking for friendship and maybe more, burger vans and toilets in the paddock, and an actual reserved spot to sit your behind on when you get back.

Dress warm and bring raingear , you're going to be perched high on a cliff right beside the Irish Sea,in May, so all 4 seasons are possible in one afternoon! May not need the sunblock and insect repellant though...

And if you do go with the start/finish grandstands/big screens option, don't expect to get away quickly at the end of racing....

Last edited by patod02703; 16th August 2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: fekn auto correct!
patod02703 is online now   ReplyReply
Old 17th August 2018, 12:02 AM #14
Supporter

Motorbike: HRC fireblade
Modifications: full arrow system
Supporter

Rides: HRC fireblade
Mods: full arrow system

Bring raingear is the best advice I can give you mate
black pudding is online now   ReplyReply
Old 18th August 2018, 02:24 PM #15
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights
MotoGP Legend

Rides: Honda NT700 Deauville
Mods: Some 90s disco lights

Last time I went to the NW200 closest accom I could get was Dungiven. Nice experience after the race heading home in a convoy of bikes, sticking to the speed limit as her Majestys finest lay in wait every few miles to pick off the usual easy targets.
Id say book now for next year. Portrush and Portstewart are busy seaside towns, and everything fills up early. Coleraine is only on the fringe of the route, and access to the course closes off early.
Trains to belfast are frequent from Dublin (Connolly). Trains can then bring you to Coleraine where you can change to the local train to Portrush. Portrush it where everything happens. Will take about 3 hours to get from Belfast to Portrush by train. Prices may vary but it isn't as bad as the UK. http://www.translink.co.uk/
Dirtyshirt is offline   ReplyReply
Old 19th August 2018, 07:50 AM #16
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Thanks Dirtyshirt, for that information, so clearly you can travel by train into Portrush on the day. It is our preferred option to do this, staying at a place maybe 1 to 1.5 hours away. But Belfast only appears to be 60 miles from Portrush, so why 3 hours by train? I thought Australian trains were slow in comparison to British, but that time seems real slow.
I'll check your link now.
Old 19th August 2018, 10:02 AM #17
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights
MotoGP Legend

Rides: Honda NT700 Deauville
Mods: Some 90s disco lights

The route the train takes in a nice flowing S to ensure you get the best of norn iron scenery.
Train from Belfast to Coleraine takes about an hour and a half, and leaves hourly.
Train from Coleraine to Portstewart can take up to a half hour. It also leaves on the hour.Five minutes after the Belfast train arrives... Unless the Belfast train is delayed....
Dirtyshirt is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th January 2019, 04:25 AM #18
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Well we have booked our trip. After visiting Wales, its on the ferry to Dublin for a week in the south based in Dublin. Then, since I have allowed my wife tickets to the Chelsea flower show later in May, its three days in NI for the NW200 and Giants Causeway. We have booked accommodation in Kilragts near Balleymoney (most places already booked out). We will have a car, so if someone can please advise:
1. the best way to get to the circuit (train/bus/car) on the day, and
2. if I book grandstand tickets, the best place to view from- I am thinking Portrush at the moment.
Old 27th January 2019, 08:13 AM #19
Supporter

Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines
Supporter

Rides: zx6r
Mods: fines

Leave the missus in Dublin while you to the racing on your rented bike, last thing you want is to be is in the middle of 2 wimmins yakking about what happened since the last time they whatsApped for 3 hours
kwackquack is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th January 2019, 08:15 AM #20
Supporter

Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines
Supporter

Rides: zx6r
Mods: fines

Lol at wordfilter, hadn't seen that one before
kwackquack is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th January 2019, 03:31 PM #21
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Well we have booked our trip. After visiting Wales, its on the ferry to Dublin for a week in the south based in Dublin. Then, since I have allowed my wife tickets to the Chelsea flower show later in May, its three days in NI for the NW200 and Giants Causeway. We have booked accommodation in Kilragts near Balleymoney (most places already booked out). We will have a car, so if someone can please advise:
2. if I book grandstand tickets, the best place to view from- I am thinking Portrush at the moment.
ballymoney to port rush is 20 mins just make sure you leave early as traffic on day is heavy but moves along
parking is in fields around the circuit , I always park outside the circuit as it makes for a quick getaway if needed .
if you park inside the circuit you cant move until roads are officially open
Last year was a scorcher of a day and racing was done and dusted by 4 o clock ,buts thats very unusual as weather is usually good and bad with plenty of stoppages due to weather and incidents
dont worry you have all the hard work done with place to stay and transport arranged
just get there early and enjoy the racing its incredible really .

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-31212131.html
featherduster is offline   ReplyReply
Old 28th January 2019, 07:53 AM #22
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Thanks for that link featherduster - very informative.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:47 AM #23
Supporter

Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!
My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

Rides: Z1000SX
Mods: Your Ma!
My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Thanks for that link featherduster - very informative.
Grandstand tickets are great but it depends very much what you want from the day. If you fit and able, then I recommend walking the entire track as the day progresses. You'll get to see the racing from every spot

Its a great day out and I hope you enjoy it. Welcome to Ireland
CodeJACK is online now   ReplyReply
Old 28th January 2019, 10:09 AM #24
Supporter

Motorbike: s1000xr
Supporter

Rides: s1000xr

Quote:
while in ballymoney https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractio...n_Ireland.html
oretom is offline   ReplyReply
Old 29th April 2019, 12:21 PM #25
Wobbling Fledgling

Wobbling Fledgling

Well we are leaving Australia in two days time. Will be in Ireland from 10th May to 21st. Have booked grandstand seats at Juniper Hill. Hopefully we can get to use them! See you all at the NW200 - looking forward to great racing and fine weather.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
australia, nw200, visiting