Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 13th November 2017, 03:41 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 37788
10 posts since Nov 2017
Motorbike: BMW S1000RR
Default S1000RR Insurance Help

Hi All,

this is my first post, so I will introduce myself. I am Dan, originally from the US, 27 years old and have been riding for about 7 years now.

I moved to Ireland about a year ago and tried to exchange my bike license, however since my country of origin is not on the list of recognized countries for license exchanges I started over and got my learners license first and hold a full A license now. I owned a BMW S1000RR before I moved to Ireland and am planning on buying a new S1000R early 2018, now here's my problem:

Irish insurers won't insure me. They say I have to be Irish resident for at least 3 years before I can get insurance and another insurer even said they don't insure bikes at all without having 3 years claim free. I tried AXA, Liberty and Carole Nash so far and was wondering if you guys know what to do. Not being able to ride would definitely put me into a position where I'd would have to reconsider Ireland as my permanent home and I'd hate leaving Ireland since it's such an amazing place.

I hope you guys can help me...

Cheers,
Dan
Old 13th November 2017, 03:49 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 11951 from Dubland
8,093 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: FZ1
Modifications: Scorpion can, PC3
Default Re: S1000RR Insurance Help

Hiya Dan, Unfortunately we are a very small market in terms of bikes and there are only a handful of bike insurers:

Carole Nash
Axa
Liberty
MCE
Principal

I'd go through the calls with them all and see you get on.
Old 13th November 2017, 03:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8353 from Dublin
1,375 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: R1200RTSE
Modifications: go-faster scratches

Dan,
Drop a line to [email protected] and I'll get one of the team, also a US ex-pat to get in touch with you.

He's had good experience overall getting insured (though on a Guzzi California, as memory serves), and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Certainly, there's a bit of a hurdle for anyone relocating here in terms of insurance, at least when you pick up the phone to the call-centres.

P
Old 13th November 2017, 03:54 PM
Is a Good Lad

Biker.ie Member No. 17842
920 posts since Aug 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Yer Ma!
Modifications: Me!

Try Principal Insurance but im not sure you will have any luck tbh.
In their eyes a relatively new biker wants to insure a S1000R. You might be stuck having to build up your NCB on a lower CC bike
Old 13th November 2017, 04:02 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

10 posts since Nov 2017

Hi guys,

thanks for your help. I will get in touch with MCE and Principle and if they refuse to insure me I will definitely hit up Mag Ireland as suggested by proinnsias and keep you updated here as well.

Another idea we had was to have my partner (Irish) insure the bike, however she's only held her full A license for a couple of months now (I got her into riding) - so I am assuming she will have a hard time insuring a S1000RR as well.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 13th November 2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,342 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

The bikes value and power are probably the issue.
Try asking them about a smaller bike like a Suzuki sv650 and see if they will insure you on that for a year then ring them after the year and see if you are able to get covered on the s1000rr.
Old 13th November 2017, 04:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6920 from Galway
1,394 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: BMW1150GS,Ducati 9!6,FJ12
Modifications: hmmm

Carole Nash accepted my 6yrs NCB from previous insurer from outside the EU when I first moved here.
Old 13th November 2017, 04:24 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
11,440 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

If insurers won't insure you on an S1000RR, have you considered not buying an S1000RR?
Old 13th November 2017, 04:49 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,011 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

I've had a similar issue and my only workaround was to do a "rider assessment" with my I.B.T. guy to get the certificate that I was a safe rider.

This assessment is specifically for each insurance company, I was with Liberty at the time.

Eventually, I got the bike insured but this was with my GS. Nowhere near the power or risk level that an S1000RR will present to the eyes of the insurance company.

You might need to get yourself another bike and get you going for a year or two.

It's annoying as fuck that they wont recognize previous driving history, but then again... laws, roads, etc are completely different in non-european countries in fairness.

But yeah, ring the insurance and ask them what do they need for you to get insured on that bike if you MUST have that bike and you can get yourself sorted with another one.

Now, leaving a country because you can't insure a specific bike does sound a little bit over the top botherline childish.

Cheers,
Rami
Old 13th November 2017, 05:18 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 31085
106 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: Ducati ST2

Originally Posted by bsd
Carole Nash accepted my 6yrs NCB from previous insurer from outside the EU when I first moved here.
Yes - they accepted my NCB as well when I moved back home. If you still have an address in the US, you might look into getting an international licence through the AA in your home state. That's what I used for my first year home - it might work as a foot in the door.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,247 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

Originally Posted by Gixxer
If insurers won't insure you on an S1000RR, have you considered not buying an S1000RR?
..sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Can't exchange an EU license for a US one either. So best to not go for one of the most powerful road bikes money can buy.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:42 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
118 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof

if you get an old thousand or a 750/600 or else a big twin it'll be fairly easily insured compared to a brand new 200hp bike and you'll be able to have fun on our roads just like everyone else who doesn't ride an s1000rr here
Old 13th November 2017, 06:05 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 23646
10 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: yamaha xjr 1300
Modifications: beauwolf exhausts

Originally Posted by daniam
Hi All,

this is my first post, so I will introduce myself. I am Dan, originally from the US, 27 years old and have been riding for about 7 years now.

I moved to Ireland about a year ago and tried to exchange my bike license, however since my country of origin is not on the list of recognized countries for license exchanges I started over and got my learners license first and hold a full A license now. I owned a BMW S1000RR before I moved to Ireland and am planning on buying a new S1000R early 2018, now here's my problem:

Irish insurers won't insure me. They say I have to be Irish resident for at least 3 years before I can get insurance and another insurer even said they don't insure bikes at all without having 3 years claim free. I tried AXA, Liberty and Carole Nash so far and was wondering if you guys know what to do. Not being able to ride would definitely put me into a position where I'd would have to reconsider Ireland as my permanent home and I'd hate leaving Ireland since it's such an amazing place.

I hope you guys can help me...

Cheers,
Dan
Also try Cornmarket which used to be Adelaide
Old 13th November 2017, 06:14 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

10 posts since Nov 2017

Hi all,

While I do understand how this might seem a bit ridiculous; my employer transferred me to Ireland and the only reason I sold my S1kRR (after three years of riding it) was because shipping it to Ireland would have been more expensive than selling and re-buying it here. I love this bike and thinking about not having it / riding a different bike doesn't sit well with me which is why I am trying everything I could possibly do to get it insured.

AXA - Won't quote without 2 years of NCB
Carole Nash - Won't quote since I don't meet the minimum residency requirement (3 years)
Liberty - Won't insure BMW S1000RR's - full stop

I will try MCE and Principle and let you guys know how that goes.

Ironically enough, Liberty quoted me EUR 1150 for a Honda CBR1000RR and personally I don't see how the CBR1000RR can be much different to the S1kRR from an insurers perspective.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 13th November 2017, 06:49 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

10 posts since Nov 2017

Originally Posted by smitho
Also try Cornmarket which used to be Adelaide
I could be wrong, but from what I read they ceased operation in ROI.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:57 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36391
49 posts since Jul 2016

Afraid I’ll be selling mine within the next year. I’m with corn market at the moment got a great quote 600 for the year. Blew every other quote out out the water.

Liberty don’t insure. I got the same shit
Robber Nash: wanted 3500 Euro
Principal were closest with 1100

I won’t be paying over 800 for insurance fuck that.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:07 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,713 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Principal won't insure a bike worth over 18,000 euros. Buy a Fireblade and have your fun on that until you've got a couple of years NCB.

Some fights just can't be won.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:19 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

10 posts since Nov 2017

Originally Posted by cracker boy
Principal won't insure a bike worth over 18,000 euros. Buy a Fireblade and have your fun on that until you've got a couple of years NCB.

Some fights just can't be won.
RRP for a new Fireblade is EUR 24000 and Liberty online quote spits out EUR 1600 - I know what you are saying and I suppose you are right, but this just shows that there's something wrong with insurance companies :P
Old 13th November 2017, 07:35 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

10 posts since Nov 2017

Okay, I am getting very confused now. Just tried to get an online quote from Liberty again just to show a friend and surprise surprise, now they quote (see attachment)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quote.jpg (107.8 KB)
Old 13th November 2017, 07:37 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
11,440 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by daniam
RRP for a new Fireblade is EUR 24000 and Liberty online quote spits out EUR 1600 - I know what you are saying and I suppose you are right, but this just shows that there's something wrong with insurance companies :P
Like there's something damp about the Atlantic ocean.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
insurance, s1000rr