Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 12th November 2017, 12:21 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 18212
52 posts since Sep 2009
Default Action Cam?

Hi all, new enough to biking, just a very quick question.

Im reading a lot about action cams on these forums..
My question is why?

Is it just to simply record your trips?
Is it to record other idiots on the road in the event that something happens when your riding?

What do you do with your videos afterwards?

Thanks
Harry
Old 12th November 2017, 12:28 PM
Buswald's Finest

Biker.ie Member No. 21188
4,654 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: same as my friend iano
Default Re: Action Cam?

i've had blackbox cameras front & back on the bike since 2011. they're hidden and come on with ignition, loop record several hours of full HD.
USB cables from the cams back to under the seat, so i just pop seat off and plug in laptop if video needs to be downloaded

yeah sometimes i save a vid clip for same reason you might take a photo on a trip, but the primary reason is there's no question in the event of an accident who did what.
or if i get wiped out at least people will know what happened... easy for the offending cage to bail out and then everyone thinks ah big bike obviously going too fast etc.
Old 12th November 2017, 01:55 PM
Fucks given = 0

Biker.ie Member No. 2916 from Chume, Counteh Galweh
17,259 posts since Mar 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Big Red Piggies
Modifications: Horsepower, lots of it...

Originally Posted by I polished one off to a dude
i've had blackbox cameras front & back on the bike since 2011. they're hidden and come on with ignition, loop record several hours of full HD.
USB cables from the cams back to under the seat, so i just pop seat off and plug in laptop if video needs to be downloaded

yeah sometimes i save a vid clip for same reason you might take a photo on a trip, but the primary reason is there's no question in the event of an accident who did what.
or if i get wiped out at least people will know what happened... easy for the offending cage to bail out and then everyone thinks ah big bike obviously going too fast etc.
Any reliability issues with the cameras or wiring in all that time? I remember you fitting them and wondering about doing the same.

'cptr
Old 12th November 2017, 02:11 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

52 posts since Sep 2009

thanks for the reply, and what do you think of the ones that you mount to your helmet?
do you need a special kind of helmet, wouldn't the image be more stable?
Old 12th November 2017, 03:11 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
455 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack and crack wax.

A helmet mount utilises the natural stabilisation effect of your neck and is best for smooth filming without paying a fortune for special equipment. I use a gopro to record bike tours and the odd meetup or track day, then edit them to some music. For me it's like looking back on a diary of your biking exploits. The lads and lasses in the group like to see themselves on cam too.

Last edited by RobbieBeGood; 12th November 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12th November 2017, 03:22 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36432 from Clare
137 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Yammie XJ750D
Modifications: Motad system ebc brake di

Have a contour roam mounted on lid just for insurance purposes I wipe the card when it's full. I swear less people pull out when they see that bright red light flashing off side of lid. Would never drive without one
Old 12th November 2017, 03:30 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Sep 2009

had a look at your contour roam one, its a little less... big than a go pro..

how does it mount to the helmet?
Old 12th November 2017, 06:54 PM
Buswald's Finest

Biker.ie Member No. 21188
4,654 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: same as my friend iano

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Any reliability issues with the cameras or wiring in all that time? I remember you fitting them and wondering about doing the same.

'cptr
been grand really. same cam on rear since day 1.
front one did a year or 2, then stopped due to water damage, replaced that with it's newer model that's been there ever since.
the one that stopped working dried out and came back to life, it's on the busa now

pro tip is to silicone coat the camera, clear cover over lens, and vaseline up any holes card/usb/power sockets
Old 12th November 2017, 08:29 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
745 posts since Apr 2008

Posterity and incident-blame are probably the two most common reasons to use cameras.

On a recent trip I had 4 cameras on the go, inluding one rear-mounted rear-facing. That took some great footage of my mate following me on his bike.

One thing I noticed when I left that camera mounted for commuting was that cages seemed to hang back further from me, or only tailgated for a short moment and then backed off. Could be coincidence but IMO, they might have thought twice about the consequences even if there was no incident. IIUC tailgating is an offence on its own? Mind you, most cagers have very limited knowledge of or respect for the rules of the road, so they probably don't know that.

Mostly I just like looking back over footage of good rides...
Old 12th November 2017, 08:50 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6925 from Louth
1,585 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: Ducati Strada S GT,ZX12R

My mates and I record footage of our yearly continental trips . This is all then collected , edited and shown at the World Premier Gala evening in the local.
We all watch intently and the women usually are too busy slurping vino ,gabbing and probably never even look at the big screen.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,344 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Just remember a camera doesnt make you invincible...

Loads of lads on the youtube think cos they have a camera on that no one will deck them or run them over.
Alot of minor shit that most people put down to experience on any given day turns into hand gesticulation for the camera and ussually this gets peoples goats up and it esculates.

If you are going to use one be aware it doesnt give you super powers...

They can also get you into trouble... lads have been caught for driving offences in the uk cos they get tracked down by the cops.

You can also be at fault in an collision... food for thought.
Old 12th November 2017, 10:01 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
745 posts since Apr 2008

For catching the shit cagers on commutes, just press record, then ride & behave as normal - as if the cameras aren't there.

For touring, I like to choose views or roads that I'll probably enjoy looking back on.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:28 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Sep 2009

sorry but what are cagers:)
Old 12th November 2017, 11:42 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 34875 from Tullamore
113 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: Kawasaki Gtr 1000

Originally Posted by haz619
sorry but what are cagers:)
They are those unfortunate creatures who have yet to discover the unfettered joy of life on two wheels and thus are condemned to suit in a "cage" of four wheeled misery. Those vehicles around here, much like Lord Voldemort, are those that shall not be named.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:49 AM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Sep 2009

ahh you mean those fuckers that have no consideration for motorcyclists:)
Old 13th November 2017, 01:39 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,058 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Ninjas & a Bummer
Modifications: Clean...ish

3 reasons:

1. The commute, its fucking lethal and if something were to happen to me and I'm not around to defend myself, I would like some evidence that I (hopefully) wasn't at fault. The flipside to this is if I'm acting the prick, there's also that to go against me.

2. Mates spins, always nice to get some footage when out and about with mates, especially if you're on the continent on decent roads, only problem here is to make it interesting (assuming you're not riding like its the IOMTT) you have to edit all the footage and editing is massive pain in the cock.

3. Trackdays/racing, Motocraft use camera's on their instructor bikes when following students and use the video replay to help show them where they might be going wrong. I was in Cartagena with them last April and my instructor was talking to me about a particular left turn I wasn't carrying enough speed on, I told him I was taking it as close as possible but he said I still had some room to play with. I didn't believe him until we replayed the video and sure enough, I was only putting my head over the curbing, so I had maybe a foot and a half more to play with. Went out next session, made the change, went faster, result.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
action, cam