Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th November 2017, 05:49 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37533
34 posts since Aug 2017
Default Why so few bikers

I was going around Europe for the first time and was genuinely surprised by the amount of motorcycles in the cities small and large, mostly scooters but still a large amount, you'll be lucky if you see a courier on your commute in Dublin. Why the Irish are unable to get out of their cages and get a scooter or a proper motorbike instead of clogging up Dublin 24/7
Old 10th November 2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,125 posts since Dec 2011
Default Re: Why so few bikers

Young lads are fucking snow flakes now.....a helmet would ruin your hairdo......and lads now would sooner have the latest Pear U phone than spend money on something useful like a bike. Once biking dies in the youth it slowly dies out till you've only a few lads on bikes. I don't buy into that all the new regs make it too hard to get a licence, that's the way now in every aspect of life, courses for everything now before ya do anything,work,leisure ..its not just biking

Last edited by green grass; 10th November 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10th November 2017, 05:54 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,532 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6

there's much less than europe but if you're struggling to see any in the city centre you must have your eyes closed.
Why are there less? It rains all the time and people view them as dangerous I suppose
Old 10th November 2017, 05:55 PM
Fucks given = 0

Biker.ie Member No. 2916 from Chume, Counteh Galweh
17,251 posts since Mar 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Big Red Piggies
Modifications: Horsepower, lots of it...

Originally Posted by Giant
I was going around Europe for the first time and was genuinely surprised by the amount of motorcycles in the cities small and large, mostly scooters but still a large amount, you'll be lucky if you see a courier on your commute in Dublin. Why the Irish are unable to get out of their cages and get a scooter or a proper motorbike instead of clogging up Dublin 24/7
You sound like a Russian fake news Twitter bot. Do you have an actual point to make? Which European cities? You certainly weren't in Paris, Milan, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Prague, Nice, Amsterdam or Cologne because I was in all of them recently and they are full of bikes.

'cptr
Old 10th November 2017, 05:57 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37293 from Cork
32 posts since May 2017
Motorbike: Honda Deauville 650

Originally Posted by Interceptor
You sound like a Russian fake news Twitter bot. Do you have an actual point to make? Which European cities? You certainly weren't in Paris, Milan, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Prague, Nice, Amsterdam or Cologne because I was in all of them recently and they are full of bikes.

'cptr
That's what he was saying though. There's more bikers on the continent than there is here.
Old 10th November 2017, 05:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969
1,878 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: CBR1000F

You sound like a Russian fake news Twitter bot. Do you have an actual point to make? Which European cities?
'cptr
+1 this
Old 10th November 2017, 06:04 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

34 posts since Aug 2017

'cptr

????? That's what I was saying
Old 10th November 2017, 06:07 PM
Novice Racer

34 posts since Aug 2017

Originally Posted by green grass
Young lads are fucking snow flakes now.....a helmet would ruin your hairdo......and lads now would sooner have the latest Pear U phone than spend money on something useful like a bike. Once biking dies in the youth it slowly dies out till you've only a few lads on bikes. I don't buy into that all the new regs make it too hard to get a licence, that's the way now in every aspect of life, courses for everything now before ya do anything,work,leisure ..its not just biking
Most of them get cages though so I don't believe that excuse that it's too expensive either + you are allowed to ride alone on a provisional legally.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,125 posts since Dec 2011

Most of them get cages though so I don't believe that excuse that it's too expensive either + you are allowed to ride alone on a provisional legally.
Mammy and daddy buy them cages.....hence my snowflake comment. Not many young lads buy themselves transport like 20 years ago.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:10 PM
Fucks given = 0

Biker.ie Member No. 2916 from Chume, Counteh Galweh
17,251 posts since Mar 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Big Red Piggies
Modifications: Horsepower, lots of it...

????? That's what I was saying
sorry, I am old and blind and surfing the web on a tiny phone.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:16 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,042 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

the weather
Old 10th November 2017, 06:26 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 32284 from Galway
59 posts since Oct 2013
Motorbike: Honda Hornet 600

It would be interesting to compare with NI. Same climate, but different laws and possibly different attitude towards biking from general public.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:26 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36518
169 posts since Aug 2016
Motorbike: GSX-R750, CB500

Yeah, it's the shite weather and most people think they're too dangerous. If you already have a cage, then a motorbike is a very expensive toy. Bikes are even more non-existent outside Dublin, especially at this time of year. You could go days/weeks without seeing another one.
Old 10th November 2017, 06:35 PM
Novice Racer

34 posts since Aug 2017

sorry, I am old and blind and surfing the web on a tiny phone.
Mammy and daddy buy them cages.....hence my snowflake comment. Not many young lads buy themselves transport like 20 years ago.
Originally Posted by Fred Flinstone
Yeah, it's the shite weather and most people think they're too dangerous. If you already have a cage, then a motorbike is a very expensive toy. Bikes are even more non-existent outside Dublin, especially at this time of year. You could go days/weeks without seeing another one.

They are too dangerous in this country, I get footage from my helmet cam weekly of someone cutting me off, I don't bother saving it anymore as it's nothing surprising anymore. You can only see a few bikes in Dublin and outside you are lucky if you see one in a month. Sometimes I feel lonely lol and think to myself ''am I the only biker in this country?'' every other city in mainland has streets filled with bikes.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:01 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 30476 from Cork
263 posts since Nov 2012
Motorbike: Honda CB500F
Modifications: None

Plenty of bikes in Cork
Old 10th November 2017, 07:08 PM
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur's Avatar
Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus the Pterodactyloid Pterosaur is offline
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32434 from Kildare
544 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: z750

in my honest opinion i think parents today are partly to blame. the whole fucking world is gone way too PC. i remember getting my first bike 17 years ago and loads of my friends got them and our parents said "be careful and mind the ejits on the road" and away we went enjoying bikes and most of those lads are still riding today. today's generation of parents wrap there kids up in bubble wrap. no climbing trees, digging in muck, going on adventures so by the time there old enough to buy a bike they either have no sense of adventure to go explore on a bike or there parents say "no i will buy you a car if you stop talking about bikes"

as a result the amount of young bikers is dropping. most of the lads i see at garages with bikes are all getting on in the years. my two boys have an interest in bikes purely because i do so hopefully they still have that interest when they get to the legal age.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,280 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Originally Posted by Alex>
It would be interesting to compare with NI. Same climate, but different laws and possibly different attitude towards biking from general public.
Id say there's relatively little difference between North and South in terms of bike ownership and usage these days.

When I was starting out up there bikes were on the cusp between being practical commuters and weekend toys. You'd get lads commuting on CB125s and GT750 triples - and everything in between, but somewhere round the mid eighties you hit the point where (in Norn Iron at least), you could buy cheap cages for not much more than the price of your average middleweight bike. That killed the commuting market for all but the most hard core or impoverished bikers. Probably the same South of the border I'd guess.

After that you got the whole sports-bike / weekend toy thing kicking in, with folk buying bikes to tinker with and go for a blast to clear their heads at the weekends or days off work - combined with a cage for commuting duties.

I reckon there's actually a helluva lot of bikes around - but most of them are tucked up in garages and only brought out at weekends and holy days.
Old 10th November 2017, 07:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
2,022 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Dont start me off....it will get ugly
Old 10th November 2017, 07:26 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
2,022 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Old 10th November 2017, 07:33 PM
Novice Racer

34 posts since Aug 2017

Originally Posted by -alan-
Id say there's relatively little difference between North and South in terms of bike ownership and usage these days.

When I was starting out up there bikes were on the cusp between being practical commuters and weekend toys. You'd get lads commuting on CB125s and GT750 triples - and everything in between, but somewhere round the mid eighties you hit the point where (in Norn Iron at least), you could buy cheap cages for not much more than the price of your average middleweight bike. That killed the commuting market for all but the most hard core or impoverished bikers. Probably the same South of the border I'd guess.

After that you got the whole sports-bike / weekend toy thing kicking in, with folk buying bikes to tinker with and go for a blast to clear their heads at the weekends or days off work - combined with a cage for commuting duties.

I reckon there's actually a helluva lot of bikes around - but most of them are tucked up in garages and only brought out at weekends and holy days.

You see the power rangers take them out in the few warm days we have in the summer, the only times in the year that you actually see a few people on a bike. Good luck with that in any other season.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bikers