Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 12th November 2017, 09:28 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
231 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125
Default Re: Why so few bikers

I have an 18 year old at home who has no interest in bikes and to be honest I want to keep it that way. When I bought my first bike in 1988 there were much less cars on the road and people in those days generally didnt drive around with a mobile phone in one hand. Too many distractions these days and I have spent 7 years of my life where a motorbike was my only form of transport.
Twice knocked off my dopey cagers but luckily nothing serious.
Lack of garda enforcement is grand when you want to go for a blast on a sunday morning but it also means there is no penalty for fools driving around like a lobotomised zombies checking their twitter feed or someones holiday snaps on arsebook.
Bikes need to be sold as a viable transport option to the public , ie you buy a package which includes the bike, training, and proper gear. It works on the continent and our cities are just as congested. Dont buy the climate/rain issue as an excuse - its really not that bad and with modern gear it keeps the worst of it out.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:40 AM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37533
34 posts since Aug 2017

Originally Posted by -alan-
That a conclusion from your own analysis - or one you're testing on behalf of another idiot ?
From countless research papere
Old 12th November 2017, 12:15 PM
Resident Rainmaker

Biker.ie Member No. 10326 from Cork
2,258 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: XRV750,CBX1000,DKW,BSAA10
Modifications: None

Originally Posted by Rockster
I have an 18 year old at home who has no interest in bikes and to be honest I want to keep it that way. When I bought my first bike in 1988 there were much less cars on the road and people in those days generally didnt drive around with a mobile phone in one hand. Too many distractions these days and I have spent 7 years of my life where a motorbike was my only form of transport.
I was riding in '88 as well (started in '82), it was a shit load more dangerous back then than it is now, you only have to compare the stats, 463 killed in '88 compared to 131 killed this year to date. Regardless of Morons being distracted with phones, in the eighties, people were driving around pissed out of their skulls in deathtraps of cages, most of them driving without ever having taken a test under the '79 licence amnesty and learners could have as many provisional licences as they wanted, on bikes with brakes made out of chocolate that handled like a Lidl trolly, it was worse than fookin' India.
Whilst I wouldn't condemn you for not encouraging your 18 year old to ride bikes, I would certainly challenge the argument that it's more dangerous riding today than it was back in the day.
Old 12th November 2017, 01:10 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,619 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS
Modifications: A hand that waves!

It's a lovely day. I'm off out on my bike.
Old 12th November 2017, 02:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,292 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Originally Posted by Giant
From countless research papere
At least you can spell research
Old 12th November 2017, 07:57 PM
mehhh

Biker.ie Member No. 35950 from Galway
326 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: RSV4, Duc 916, VFR 800

The fuckin wild atlantical way is rotten wid motorsickles. Rotten wid em. Fuck off back home wid yer paneers.
Old 12th November 2017, 10:33 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
934 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by the dessert fox
The fuckin wild atlantical way is rotten wid motorsickles. Rotten wid em. Fuck off back home wid yer paneers.
try spellcheck yeooww
Old 13th November 2017, 08:58 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2029 from Donegal
14,987 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: TLR, FJ, XS650, TZR125
Modifications: Hatchet Holster

Originally Posted by the dessert fox
That's true, a load of bikes go past my house every day. Never saw as many bikes on the road in my life.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:45 AM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,416 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Im in spaon for motogp. It was 26 c here yesterday .the heads burnt off me .people are riding rpund on great roads in shorts ffs. Cages and bikes never seem dirty as theres no wet shit constantly on the road . Our climate is too shit .roads are crap and slippy .those that do commute spent a fortune on gear and fly through bikes .its doable but its a lot more expensive and harder to do it than in a decent climate
Old 13th November 2017, 11:08 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,308 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by chopper
Im in spaon for motogp. It was 26 c here yesterday .the heads burnt off me .people are riding rpund on great roads in shorts ffs. Cages and bikes never seem dirty as theres no wet shit constantly on the road . Our climate is too shit .roads are crap and slippy .those that do commute spent a fortune on gear and fly through bikes .its doable but its a lot more expensive and harder to do it than in a decent climate
There's also the time factor.You have to store your bike indoors so by the time you get your bike out,get your gear on start the bike let it warm up etc,you'd have the journey done in a cage.There's lots of bikes in this country,there's a shed load of bikes around here and I live in the middle of nowhere but lads need a cage or van for work so you wont see them every day.The Cork toy run regularly sees 600+ bikes every year so they are out there.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:32 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,177 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Motorbikes are seen as unsafe - they are not cheap, think insurance, good gear, tyres etc. . . much cheaper to run a cage.

Then you have the lads/gals on the phones - jesus it just takes 1/2 second for them to mill you outta it. A little sniffle and cry infront of a judge and they're set free.

One of the biggest issues for myself is the idea of someone stealing the bike. . . we're way to soft on criminals here. Those fuckers feed understanding and empathy - bang your bike is gone and your the one left for months ringing the insurance and getting nothing back.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:28 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
37 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust

Climate is the main issue and Irish attitude, helped by the rsa propaganda has driven home a message that all bikers are dangerous and motorcycling has the odds stacked against you in terms of safety. Sheeple public swallow it whole and remain caged. Don't get me wrong, in the dark winter evenings you'd be safer caged than venture onto the m50 or similar. The cunts don't look as it is, now factor in dark nights in a sea of headlights......no bike will stand out at all. And I can tell you first hand.....especially with droplets of rain on your window and wing mirrors.

I also feel that because motorcycling is kinda rare in Ireland, the driving public are not challenged on biker safety from a cage driver point of view. I've become way more aware of bikes now since getting onto two wheels and I always bang on to family members about looking for bikes when driving. Even my step dad was shocked when I explained van wing mirrors are at head height for most bikers (he's a van driver) and now he says he pulls to the side to allow more room when he sees bikes. Just an example of how, if it's in the public domain and more people do it, more get educated and a positive cycle continues.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bikers