Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 29th November 2017, 02:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34649 from Just outside Galway city
110 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: Yamaha FZ6N, CBR600RR
Default Short commute Kill an Aprilia RSVR?

Howya Lads,

So I want to sell my current bike - CBR600RR - and get a larger capacity machine. I sold the cage a while back so the bike is used daily for everything.

I've always wanted to get an Aprilia RSVR but I'm wondering would be totally unsuitable for my needs. My commute to work every day is only 10km round trip, although nearly every 2nd weekend it'd get a long spin from Galway to Dublin and back. Question is.. would the short journeys in and out from work kill the battery in no time? Just wondering would it likely let me down outside work or in town with all the short journeys and draining the battery a little more each time? I hear of lads using trickle chargers to keep them topped up but seems like a pain in the ass to be doing this weekly. Is this always a problem with them or is it only an issue when they're parked up for prolonged periods of time between use? Any RSV owners share their thoughts?
Old 29th November 2017, 02:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34802
94 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: SV1000S
Modifications: Huge Tax Disc
Default Re: Short commute Kill an Aprilia RSVR?

I've a similar short commute and have never had any battery issues. I rarely go on a long spin. My only concern would be how much an Aprillia would appreciate being used in the crap weather we get here.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 14079
3,580 posts since Jan 2009

Sort the problems and it wont let you down. Dont and you'll be late, a lot!
Old 29th November 2017, 02:47 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 33098
184 posts since Apr 2014
Motorbike: Too many projects

If all the fixes are upgrades are done it should be fine.
But if there's anything not done, it will probably come to haunt you.

Its been covered alot but a weak battery is the real killer with these, get a good one with CCA of +200, and get a 150A Aprilia solenoid.

Im pretty sure they won't even spark if the engine isn't turning fast enough and all you're doing is damaging the sprag/starter/your bank balance

If you were to get an Ape and don't want to keep it on trickle charge it would be a good idea to get a fresh quality battery as a minimum as soon as you get it anyway.

Why not keep it on trickle charge..? the connector will be on the bike so all you have to do is park in the same place near a plug surely?
Old 29th November 2017, 03:11 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 17170
79 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: Mille R, CBR250R (MC19)
Modifications: 1 tool onboard

Originally Posted by Jeff7t7

Its been covered alot but a weak battery is the real killer with these, get a good one with CCA of +200, and get a 150A Aprilia solenoid.

Im pretty sure they won't even spark if the engine isn't turning fast enough and all you're doing is damaging the sprag/starter/your bank balance

If you were to get an Ape and don't want to keep it on trickle charge it would be a good idea to get a fresh quality battery as a minimum as soon as you get it anyway.

Why not keep it on trickle charge..? the connector will be on the bike so all you have to do is park in the same place near a plug surely?
This
Old 29th November 2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 14079
3,580 posts since Jan 2009

Yes but no.... if grounds are good and crucially the charging circuit is 14.5v steady you wont need to trickle! Having a new battery even if a 220cca YTX14-BS and trickled will make no diff in the long term it will still shit the bed unless being happily fed 14.5. Mosfet is the best bet and replacing the usual shite connectors.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:39 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

110 posts since May 2015

Originally Posted by Curtain Twitcher
I've a similar short commute and have never had any battery issues. I rarely go on a long spin. My only concern would be how much an Aprillia would appreciate being used in the crap weather we get here.
Yeah it seems they're not the most robust machine out there but I'd hope if I got a good clean one and minded it I'd be okay. Good to hear you've been hassle free regarding the battery though

Originally Posted by Jeff7t7

I assumed leaving it on trickle would require the battery to be removed entirely. .I've no sheltered spot for the bike where I live right now so the battery and charger would be open to the elements.

Originally Posted by godofbiomechanics
Sort the problems and it wont let you down. Dont and you'll be late, a lot!
Hopefully most good one sout there have these mods done to them already then!

Originally Posted by godofbiomechanics
Yes but no.... if grounds are good and crucially the charging circuit is 14.5v steady you wont need to trickle! Having a new battery even if a 220cca YTX14-BS and trickled will make no diff in the long term it will still shit the bed unless being happily fed 14.5. Mosfet is the best bet and replacing the usual shite connectors.
Good info there.. I can bring a multimeter with me a check the voltage when running and hopefully any prospective bike will have the full 14.5V.

Cheers for the info lads
Old 30th November 2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,169 posts since Dec 2011

You've no sheltered spot to park your bike,and you're going to be using it as a commuter hack through 4 seasons. Don't buy an Aprillia,or any other bike thats prone to give silly trouble. You need a robust and reliable machine. And in my opinion you need to look east, the land of the rising Sun, to find such a bike. If it's a sportsbike type bike you want then why change from Honda. I bet your 600 rr never gave any bother. Buy a blade,splice the green wire coming from the rec/reg and bring a bridge directly to the negative of the battery. Hassle free commutting awaits you. I've no doubt the rsvr is a cool yoke and a mighty tool when they are going...but fiddling with it at 6.30 in the morning when it won't start, would soon sour your love for all things Italian.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:55 AM
Extreme Mancunian

Biker.ie Member No. 36910 from Ascra
255 posts since Jan 2017
Motorbike: Mutleystrada
Modifications: yes

Most of the stuff that gives problems should have been sorted by now, by the previous owners. Join a UK forum, sniff around and see whats what, majority of the owners are sound and keep them, several, for years and know their stuff. Might be one for sale, or you can give a shout out. I had aprilia for years and they were probably the most reliable bikes Ive ever owned.
One thing, massively in favour of an aprilia is every day will be diferrent. Cracking bikes and full of charachter.
For a commute like yours though Id buy a Falco. Do everything an Rsv will, but a fair bit more roomy. Surely the most underrated bike ever built. Then of course theirs the Tuono, the best of the lot.

Spoiling all this, I would definitely have a Yuasa battery and a trickle charger on it every night. Especially in the winter. Solar jobby?
Old 30th November 2017, 10:00 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,077 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

10km commute be no bother to it, just make sure to do it flat out and she'll be fine.
Old 30th November 2017, 01:59 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,448 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

If you have got to get to work every day dont buy an aprillia .i know several lads that tried it and lost days regular enough
Old 30th November 2017, 08:36 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 13977
81 posts since Jan 2009

Wouldn't really disagree with Greengrass or chopper but if you really want an Ape, a gen 1 or 2 RSV can be every bit as reliable as a jap bike once you make sure all the right mods are done.
Look at Apriliaforum...At this stage, there's a simple fix for every quirk. Battery issues are solved by adding wiring from the reg/rec direct to the battery. Sidestand switches are another thing that can leave you stranded...removal is the simplest option. If you don't mind fettling it at the weekends, it'll be fine.
Once well set up they are a joy to ride.
A Gabro chip can sort the fuelling for 50 quid so no real need for a power commander to tune after exhaust and airbox mods.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,274 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

Originally Posted by MARIO BROS
Wouldn't really disagree with Greengrass or chopper but if you really want an Ape, a gen 1 or 2 RSV can be every bit as reliable as a jap bike once you make sure all the right mods are done.
Look at Apriliaforum...At this stage, there's a simple fix for every quirk. Battery issues are solved by adding wiring from the reg/rec direct to the battery. Sidestand switches are another thing that can leave you stranded...removal is the simplest option. If you don't mind fettling it at the weekends, it'll be fine.
A Gabro chip can sort the fuelling for 50 quid so no real need for a power commander to tune after exhaust and airbox mods.
Agree with that....find a sorted first gen mille......and keep the 600RR.

The twin is thirsty bearing in mind
Old 30th November 2017, 09:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from meath/Dub
1,912 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager

Buy a good mountain bike. 10km=6 miles. Get fit and enjoy your bike more for spins.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,169 posts since Dec 2011

Originally Posted by MARIO BROS

You wouldn't advise the op to go "fettling" if you seen his thread about fitting a tyre....... I think gixxer called him a "ham fisted butcher". Anywayz I'm sure that was a once off
Old 30th November 2017, 10:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
460 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack and crack wax.

Originally Posted by nednedned
Buy a good mountain bike. 10km=6 miles. Get fit and enjoy your bike more for spins.
This. I'd love to be able to commute by bicycle. Unfortunately I'm a lazy bastard :)
Old 1st December 2017, 11:37 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 20110 from Wexford
267 posts since Jan 2010
Motorbike: Aprilia RSV Fac,MV Agusta
Modifications: All on it already

Originally Posted by DaveO59 View Post
Howya Lads,

So I want to sell my current bike - CBR600RR - and get a larger capacity machine. I sold the cage a while back so the bike is used daily for everything.

I've always wanted to get an Aprilia RSVR but I'm wondering would be totally unsuitable for my needs. My commute to work every day is only 10km round trip, although nearly every 2nd weekend it'd get a long spin from Galway to Dublin and back. Question is.. would the short journeys in and out from work kill the battery in no time? Just wondering would it likely let me down outside work or in town with all the short journeys and draining the battery a little more each time? I hear of lads using trickle chargers to keep them topped up but seems like a pain in the ass to be doing this weekly. Is this always a problem with them or is it only an issue when they're parked up for prolonged periods of time between use? Any RSV owners share their thoughts?
I have a RSV Factory since 2009 and has never given me any trouble,the short distance every day wont do any bad to it.But mine is in a garage all the time and permanently trickle charged (datatool alarm also on it)i know you probably dont have a choice but i would not be leaving any Italian bike outside all the time,but then i wouldnt leave any bike outside.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:04 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6290 from Dublin
369 posts since Jul 2007
Motorbike: ZZR1400, XMAX
Modifications: yes

Been there. I had nice Gen 1 RSVR. Had to sort all the usual bits myself: Yamaha Reg rec, brown connector out, battery upgrade, upgraded high voltage cables to spark plugs, new sprag clutch (as it was shagged with previous weak battery) After upgrades bike was reliable enough.

I used it for 2 years commuting 20km roundtrip everyday. I didn't use trickle charger as I had no access to the power supply. If bike wasn't used for more then 3 days - I had to charge the battery to make sure it's 100% . Never had to do this with any of my Jap bikes.

Then I used it for commuting 100 Km roundtrip for another 4 years. It did alright, no major issues. Checked valves at 60K and all were within the spec. Clocked over 100K kilometers on it and it still went well when I sold it.

from my own experience with it:

Yes it can do short commutes, and it can even been reliable when sorted out. Is it a good tool for it ? - Nope, I think it's a waste of nice and fun machine which was designed for weekend blasts / track days. My opinion was different few years back Commuted on it for 6 years !

They can be found for really silly money now, especially in the UK. You can get one and keep it nice and clean and enjoy it for your weekend spins / tours / spiritual riding This is what it's made for. And just get maxi scooter for day to day commuting. This is the setup I wen't for and regret I didn't make this move earlier. To my surprise, yer cock ain't getting any smaller really if you commute on scooter. It remains the same as when you ride Aprillia

Last edited by andrei; 3rd December 2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:21 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,008 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Vintage MX, Bandit 600
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

6 miles, get a scooter. If you've no garage for an Aprilla, hard to advise to get one. Sitting outside getting wet all the time, not the best idea.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:26 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

110 posts since May 2015

Originally Posted by green grass View Post
You've no sheltered spot to park your bike,and you're going to be using it as a commuter hack through 4 seasons. Don't buy an Aprillia,or any other bike thats prone to give silly trouble. You need a robust and reliable machine. And in my opinion you need to look east, the land of the rising Sun, to find such a bike. If it's a sportsbike type bike you want then why change from Honda. I bet your 600 rr never gave any bother. Buy a blade,splice the green wire coming from the rec/reg and bring a bridge directly to the negative of the battery. Hassle free commutting awaits you. I've no doubt the rsvr is a cool yoke and a mighty tool when they are going...but fiddling with it at 6.30 in the morning when it won't start, would soon sour your love for all things Italian.
Nah the 600rr has been good to me but I fancy a change at this stage and have been riding a 600 inline 4 daily for the last 3 years so fancied a nice V-Twin for a change. Ya that's true, if it was unreliable then I'd soon want/need to replace it again.

Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
Most of the stuff that gives problems should have been sorted by now, by the previous owners. Join a UK forum, sniff around and see whats what, majority of the owners are sound and keep them, several, for years and know their stuff. Might be one for sale, or you can give a shout out. I had aprilia for years and they were probably the most reliable bikes Ive ever owned.
One thing, massively in favour of an aprilia is every day will be diferrent. Cracking bikes and full of charachter.
For a commute like yours though Id buy a Falco. Do everything an Rsv will, but a fair bit more roomy. Surely the most underrated bike ever built. Then of course theirs the Tuono, the best of the lot.

Spoiling all this, I would definitely have a Yuasa battery and a trickle charger on it every night. Especially in the winter. Solar jobby?
The thought had crossed my mind to head across the water and pick up a nice clean one over there, one that preferably had all the mods and upgrades done on it. Yeah I love that they're different and have character, a mate has one and always thought it looked and sounded boss. The solar trickle charger was suggested by a lad at work too, seems like it could be a good option. Might go with that if I do take the plunge.

Originally Posted by MARIO BROS View Post
Yip after reading up a little on them I reckon it'd be a good idea to keep looking til I found one with all the mods and upgrades already done on it.. then I just need to mind the battery and should be good.

Originally Posted by phillo45 View Post
I have a RSV Factory since 2009 and has never given me any trouble,the short distance every day wont do any bad to it.But mine is in a garage all the time and permanently trickle charged (datatool alarm also on it)i know you probably dont have a choice but i would not be leaving any Italian bike outside all the time,but then i wouldnt leave any bike outside.
Like you said, I have no choice whether or not to leave the bike outside. I'm in rented accom with no shed or shelter so it has to sit out the side of the house. Not ideal I know! 1st thing I look for in the next place is decent garage space!

Originally Posted by andrei View Post
Been there. I had nice Gen 1 RSVR. Had to sort all the usual bits myself: Yamaha Reg rec, brown connector out, battery upgrade, upgraded high voltage cables to spark plugs, new sprag clutch (as it was shagged with previous weak battery) After upgrades bike was reliable enough.

I used it for 2 years commuting 20km roundtrip everyday. I didn't use trickle charger as I had no access to the power supply. If bike wasn't used for more then 3 days - I had to charge the battery to make sure it's 100% . Never had to do this with any of my Jap bikes.

Then I used it for commuting 100 Km roundtrip for another 4 years. It did alright, no major issues. Checked valves at 60K and all were within the spec. Clocked over 100K kilometers on it and it still went well when I sold it.

from my own experience with it:

Yes it can do short commutes, and it can even been reliable when sorted out. Is it a good tool for it ? - Nope, I think it's a waste of nice and fun machine which was designed for weekend blasts / track days. My opinion was different few years back Commuted on it for 6 years !

They can be found for really silly money now, especially in the UK. You can get one and keep it nice and clean and enjoy it for your weekend spins / tours / spiritual riding This is what it's made for. And just get maxi scooter for day to day commuting. This is the setup I wen't for and regret I didn't make this move earlier. To my surprise, yer cock ain't getting any smaller really if you commute on scooter. It remains the same as when you ride Aprillia
Good to hear they'll last til 60k just fine if minded. Don't think I've seen any up at that mileage. Yeah a scooter probably would be the handiest, just don't think I could bring myself to use one all the time.. actually, the CBR is pretty small compared to other yokes so it makes it handy for filtering and the likes. It's a grand daily bike I just have it in my head now that I want something bigger and the RSVR has always tickled my fancy!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
aprilia, commute, kill, rsvr, short