Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 27th June 2007, 11:23 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5461 from Dublin
1,064 posts since May 2007
Default Pieced back together my 1959 Francis Barnett

Took some photos yesterday and thought id put them up on the site. Ive been restoring a light cruiser that i bought at the celbridge abbey show on and off for about two years now(almost finished!) she was completely done up with the wider wheels, chrome tank, alloy mudguards etc and ive kept all of these on it I picked up a second light cruiser last christmas on ebay for spares but am going to restore it to original spec in a few years. Got it in boxes and thought id put it together so nothing vanishes! As it started to come together i noticed that some bits were missing! I spent a few hours yesterday making some brackets and mudguard stays. Its a 1959 Francis Barnett Light Cruiser 79 fitted with a 2 stroke AMC 175cc 17T engine, supposedly easily able to cruise in the mid 50's. That engine weighs a tonne! its nice and light as its all aluminium but the barrel is cast iron and almost broke my back carrying the engine with it fitted! I put plenty of oil down the bore to keep it rust free till i get around to restoring it. Shes rough looking but its a grand little bike. I'll take some more pics and start a thread of the beefed up light cruiser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8e0_1.jpg (31.7 KB)
File Type: jpg b640_1.jpg (36.7 KB)
File Type: jpg ca3a_1.jpg (32.8 KB)
File Type: jpg c3b7_1.jpg (28.4 KB)
File Type: jpg 1959 light criuser 1.jpg (45.5 KB)
File Type: jpg 1959 light cruiser 2.jpg (40.7 KB)
File Type: jpg 1959 light cruiser 3.jpg (36.5 KB)
File Type: jpg Blue light cruiser engine.jpg (41.5 KB)
Old 27th June 2007, 05:09 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 1869 from In a field with Milly
11,471 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: Your mother
Modifications: Me nob.

ah deadly thats a cool looking yoke.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:14 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 4765 from hell
5,474 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: Gsxf 750,panther m100
Modifications: ejector seat.

shes fairly clean looking and in original condition. why cant i ever find them like that. now the prob triumph will be to find all the niggly little hard to find pieces.anyway arent you in england nxt year. you can go to the classic shows over there. plenty of choice bits over there id imagine.only prob is prices are rising.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:15 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5390 from Ashford
900 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Z650, 74 Ironhead

Great project, good luck with it. I hope to see it at one of the shows sometime?
Old 27th June 2007, 07:20 PM
MotoGP Legend
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by panther600
shes fairly clean looking and in original condition. why cant i ever find them like that. now the prob triumph will be to find all the niggly little hard to find pieces.anyway arent you in england nxt year. you can go to the classic shows over there. plenty of choice bits over there id imagine.only prob is prices are rising.
some of the parts are like gold dust, just cant find them. Ive taken a few parts from this one to complete the other bike so i'll have to track replacements down sooner or later. Cant wait to get over to england, im up the road from a motorbike museum and the brooklands race track and motorcycle museum is about 15 miles away id say i'll be at just about every autojumble and classic show in the south of england

Last edited by triumph; 28th June 2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 27th June 2007, 08:16 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 3238 from Cork
137 posts since Jun 2006
Motorbike: Laverda

Well done,, I have a laverda in my shed which is in the same number of pieces that you started out with

I am impressed

Paul
Old 27th June 2007, 08:54 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 4765 from hell
5,474 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: Gsxf 750,panther m100
Modifications: ejector seat.

Originally Posted by triumph
some of the parts are like gold dust, just cant find them. Ive taken a few parts from this one to complete the other bike so i'll have to track replacements down sooner or later. Cant wait to get over to england, im up the road from a motorbike musuem and the brooklands race track and motorcycle museum is about 15 miles away id say i'll be at just about every autojumble and classic show in the south of england
im jealous but ill get over it.if i was you instead of spending all my time and money in pubs as students tend to do, id spend certainly some of my time and some of my money on brit bike bits.is the barnet the only marquee youre interested in.im on the lookout now for a v twin bsa. big money done up,bloody rare in unrestored condition.still like the holy grail they continued looking till they were all dead.
Old 27th June 2007, 08:57 PM
Itchy beard

Biker.ie Member No. 3718 from Limerick
1,786 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: Ducati chop,triumph-rat. BSA B33+A10 custom
Modifications: loud exhaust

For a new downpipe and Silencer, I found
www.feked.com
more than excellent.
Even if you measure up what you need he will make them for you.
I got a downpipe and exhaust for a 1930 B21 and they fit like a glove.

For stainless this guy has everything.
http://www.stainlessman.co.uk/
Old 28th June 2007, 12:09 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5926
53 posts since Jun 2007
Modifications: None

I had to get a gear box for a DOT trials bike circa 1953, which has a Villiers engine. I had no problem in getting one which was brand new and very reasonably priced as well for this company see link below.

Villiers Services (link).

They have all the engine and gearbox bits for any Villiers engined bike from the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Great to see your "Fanny B" back on the road.
Old 28th June 2007, 12:18 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5926
53 posts since Jun 2007
Modifications: None

Forgot to say that Villiers Services also have a great selection of exhaust pipes and silencers for every post war model bike that had a Villiers engine as well.
Old 28th June 2007, 12:30 AM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,428 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by Pat Dunne
I had to get a gear box for a DOT trials bike circa 1953, which has a Villiers engine. I had no problem in getting one which was brand new and very reasonably priced as well for this company see link below.

Villiers Services (link).

They have all the engine and gearbox bits for any Villiers engined bike from the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Great to see your "Fanny B" back on the road.
sweet link man
Old 28th June 2007, 12:55 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by Gellum
For a new downpipe and Silencer, I found
www.feked.com
more than excellent.
Even if you measure up what you need he will make them for you.
I got a downpipe and exhaust for a 1930 B21 and they fit like a glove.

For stainless this guy has everything.
http://www.stainlessman.co.uk/
thanks gellum, this is just a spare parts bike for now. I dont plan to restore it for a good 5-6 years at least. Im restoring another one at the moment, i'll try get a thread up tomorrow for it. Im going to use the exhaust i have as i think its been tuned. Armours Ltd are also excellent for old exhausts, 10/10 they do them for any make of bike from the early 1900's all the way up to the 60's
Old 28th June 2007, 12:58 AM
spanner spinner

thanks gellum, this is just a spare parts bike for now. I dont plan to restore it for a good 5-6 years at least. Im restoring another one at the moment, i'll try get a thread up tomorrow for it. Im going to use the exhaust i have as i think its been tuned. Armours Ltd are also excellent for old exhausts, 10/10 they do them for any make of bike from the early 1900's all the way up to the 60's
its getting there .any chance of a better pic of the front end / forks. i think they are the same as my jubilee. lots of parts were swaped around the companys back then !
Old 28th June 2007, 01:02 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by panther600
im jealous but ill get over it.if i was you instead of spending all my time and money in pubs as students tend to do, id spend certainly some of my time and some of my money on brit bike bits.is the barnet the only marquee youre interested in.im on the lookout now for a v twin bsa. big money done up,bloody rare in unrestored condition.still like the holy grail they continued looking till they were all dead.
i'll be spending just about every penny i have on brit bike bits id say! I'll save an absolute fortune being able to get things posted inside the UK, im getting hammered on postage at the moment! I like all old bikes, no particular interest in Francis Barnetts, infact id never even heard of them till the day i bought one. My main interest is flat tankers, absolutely love the look of them. Im planning to get an early D1 bantam, im after one from between 1948 and 1950. All in time If your after a bsa twin just go on ebay and buy one, then bring it back over on the ferry. Thats what ive done, its good fun if you go over with a mate
Old 28th June 2007, 01:10 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by chopper
its getting there .any chance of a better pic of the front end / forks. i think they are the same as my jubilee. lots of parts were swaped around the companys back then !
i think jubilees use the same hubs, i wouldnt be surprised if the forks are the same too. I'm going to take photos of the bike i almost have finished and you can compare them, im really frustrated cos i have my forks rebuilt and the wheels cleaned up and looking amazing but then i realised that i dont have feckin fork seals!! so thats stopping me from getting a rolling frame. Suppose i better order some instead of complaining

Last edited by triumph; 28th June 2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 28th June 2007, 01:14 AM
spanner spinner

i think jubilees use the same hubs, i wouldnt be surprised if the forks are the same too. I'm going to take photos of the bike i almost have finished and you can compare them, im reallt frustrated cos i have my forks rebuild and the wheels cleaned up and looking amazing but then i realised that i dont have feckin fork seals!! so thats stopping me from getting a rolling frame. Suppose i better order some instead of complaining
order me some too .
they aint the easiest looking to change , mine are gonna involve brazing or a whopper of a soldering gun .
Old 28th June 2007, 01:20 AM
MotoGP Legend

order me some too .
they aint the easiest looking to change , mine are gonna involve brazing or a whopper of a soldering gun .
yeah im not looking forward to it myself, there were no seals fitted when i stripped them, the fact that some eejit has hamered the shite out of where they go in isnt going to help, especially seeing as i have the forks all nice and shinny with the new paint
Old 28th June 2007, 01:23 AM
spanner spinner

yeah im not looking forward to it myself, there were no seals fitted when i stripped them, the fact that some eejit has hamered the shite out of where they go in isnt going to help, especially seeing as i have the forks all nice and shinny with the new paint
i think you gotta heat/melt the braze/solder to get the fork bushes off to do the seals , if they are like the jubilee ones ya do .
Old 28th June 2007, 01:25 AM
spanner spinner

i think you gotta heat/melt the braze/solder to get the fork bushes off to do the seals , if they are like the jubilee ones ya do .
hey , its looking like the same frame/f mudgaurd/clocks and nacelle and many other bits .lol, typical
Old 28th June 2007, 01:27 AM
spanner spinner

hey , its looking like the same frame/f mudgaurd/clocks and nacelle and many other bits .lol, typical
dont spose ya have a half decent seat or seat base for sale .

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
1959, barnett, francis, pieced