Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 5th December 2017, 02:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 30247 from Killarney
1,898 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: R6 #85 Bmw HP4
Modifications: Ach aye
Default Re: want to race

If your in a garage keep an eye out the door and when first bike leaves for warm up lap get your skates on and get out on track as quick as possible (without speeding)
You will learn the run of things after an event or 2.
Most people do use the dummy grid and bring down warmers generator etc...
I never bother personally, just stay in the garage
Old 5th December 2017, 02:17 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 32297
156 posts since Oct 2013
Motorbike: Yamaha FZ6n & GSXR 600 K7

Originally Posted by Cnut the Great View Post
If your in a garage keep an eye out the door and when first bike leaves for warm up lap get your skates on and get out on track as quick as possible (without speeding)
Cheers, I suppose my main thinking was if I was up on me own there wouldn't be anyone to bring the warmer/stands away from the grid etc. Would you get away without an extra set of hands over a weekend?
Old 5th December 2017, 02:19 PM
is not all there

Biker.ie Member No. 4094 from Carlow
4,274 posts since Nov 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: #67 pre injection #671 SS
Modifications: DLM setup missile !!!!!

Very hard doing it alone tbh

Can be done but you’ll probably find the lads around you will lend a hand but make sure you give them a hand in return
Old 5th December 2017, 05:22 PM
Clubman

156 posts since Oct 2013

Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post

Can be done but you’ll probably find the lads around you will lend a hand but make sure you give them a hand in return
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:28 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 17976 from kilkenny
2,733 posts since Aug 2009
Motorbike: aprilia tuono... sv650 track bike#54
Modifications: loads to me...... none to bikes

We are hoping there will be changes to pit lane this year to shorten the time in pit lane so there will be no need for tyre warmers there... We hope....
Old 6th December 2017, 01:26 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
18,824 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post

I've raced the length and breath of the country on my own (probably because every cunt hated me ) and have never been left stuck. The biggest pain in the balls was loading and unloading the van on your own. If you are doing it on your own, a garage is a must.
Old 6th December 2017, 02:00 PM
Clubman

156 posts since Oct 2013

Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I've raced the length and breath of the country on my own (probably because every cunt hated me ) and have never been left stuck. The biggest pain in the balls was loading and unloading the van on your own. If you are doing it on your own, a garage is a must.
Cheers for all the replies, I'm from the arse hole of west Cork so it can be difficult getting a mate/family to give up their full weekend to come to Mondello.
If I knew it was possible to manage it solo I'd probably try a few trips to the northern circuits too.
Old 6th December 2017, 02:09 PM
Broke racer.

Originally Posted by Jimmy16v View Post
Cheers for all the replies, I'm from the arse hole of west Cork so it can be difficult getting a mate/family to give up their full weekend to come to Mondello.
If I knew it was possible to manage it solo I'd probably try a few trips to the northern circuits too.
West Cork has a huge amount of racers so I don't think you'll be stuck.
I know it's a huge trek but the Northern tracks are really really worth the journey.
Join the clubs down there and you might find someone who will share a van with you for the weekend, split diesel cost etc.
Old 6th December 2017, 11:16 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 3074 from dublin
9,197 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: 749,kdx125, rrv450, rs125

done 3 seasons part time on my own no garage, just genny and tent n van, as pj said loading unloading is v hard part, second half of last season I'd to mind 3 kids under 8 and a wife who hates bikes in the paddock for 2 nights. It can be done.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:37 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,458 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

Worst bit of advice I've heard in ages. A, by not appearing on the dummy grid, your bike can not be grided properly. Your place on the grid can be different from that posted on the timing shed, and if you wait in the garages, you will not find out till you are on the grid, causing more delays. B, you can be stopped by a scrutineer and have your bike examined. Happened to a guy leading the Irish championship last year. His rain light was not on, and he had to start from pit lane and was lucky to do so. C, everybody else has the manners to turn up when called and the fact that you are delaying, and arriving late to the dummy grid, means that everybody else will arrive in the grid before you, and have to wait for you to appear with engines overheating and tempers fraying. D, there have been occasions where the last bike out has still not appeared out of "Dunlop" when the red lights have gone on to start the race.
There are proposals to change the procedure to the dummy grid for the coming year, and if they are implemented, anybody waiting in the garages until the bikes are released, will not be racing, full stop. My advice would be to arrive on the dummy grid when called. Have a word with one of the pit crew or scrutineers, and if you need a hand they will not see you stuck.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:05 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bow leg View Post
Worst bit of advice I've heard in ages. A, by not appearing on the dummy grid, your bike can not be grided properly. Your place on the grid can be different from that posted on the timing shed, and if you wait in the garages, you will not find out till you are on the grid, causing more delays. B, you can be stopped by a scrutineer and have your bike examined. Happened to a guy leading the Irish championship last year. His rain light was not on, and he had to start from pit lane and was lucky to do so. C, everybody else has the manners to turn up when called and the fact that you are delaying, and arriving late to the dummy grid, means that everybody else will arrive in the grid before you, and have to wait for you to appear with engines overheating and tempers fraying. D, there have been occasions where the last bike out has still not appeared out of "Dunlop" when the red lights have gone on to start the race.
There are proposals to change the procedure to the dummy grid for the coming year, and if they are implemented, anybody waiting in the garages until the bikes are released, will not be racing, full stop. My advice would be to arrive on the dummy grid when called. Have a word with one of the pit crew or scrutineers, and if you need a hand they will not see you stuck.
I've never had an issue with time and get out before plenty of the lads on the dummy grid. Until it's compulsory I know what up be doing.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,458 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

I've never had an issue with time and get out before plenty of the lads on the dummy grid. Until it's compulsory I know what up be doing.
.I'd be attending any riders briefing this year if I were you so.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:11 PM
Supporter

As far as i know we are re introducing the gate this year and I will be on it.. the bikes will most likely be released on mass and there is a good chance that anyone not on the dummy grid when the first bike is released will not be getting through the gate full stop.. As Bow leg didnt say we have a pain in the bollocks of riders coming late to the grid and delaying the entire procedure.. this year if you were out before the first bike appeared in the last corner before the straight you were allowed out but thats now at an end... some riders really were taking the piss so it will change and hopefully this year.. In short if you do not appear on the dummy grid you will not be racing.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:49 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 20726
1,566 posts since Feb 2010

About time , ridiculous that lads are sitting on the grid while someone flutes around a lap behind .
Old 11th December 2017, 10:15 AM
Broke racer.

Originally Posted by odd leg View Post
In short if you do not appear on the dummy grid you will not be racing.
Originally Posted by thebleedinsymbol View Post
About time , ridiculous that lads are sitting on the grid while someone flutes around a lap behind .
100% behind this as long as the 1 rule applies to all.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Supporter

Any rules that will help run to a tighter schedule will be welcome by all.
I never mentioned anything about hanging around and holding races up.
More cases than not I've been out from the garage and passing lads out sitting on the dummy grid.
If the rules are you must sit on the dummy grid then that's no problem
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Supporter

Any rules that will help run to a tighter schedule will be welcome by all.
I never mentioned anything about hanging around and holding races up.
More cases than not I've been out from the garage and passing lads out sitting on the dummy grid.
If the rules are you must sit on the dummy grid then that's no problem
We dont know what changes are coming yet but it would only take a few small changes to have the meetings run much much tighter but as has been said it will depend on the rules being implemented and one rule for all... There is no point thinking putting marshalls safety at risk is ok and i have seen plenty of riders who do this without even realising they have done so... even late departures can have this effect

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
race