Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 4th December 2017, 07:44 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 7488 from Co. Meath
1,300 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Tuono V4R
Default Re: Short commute Kill an Aprilia RSVR?

Originally Posted by DaveO59

I want something bigger and the RSVR has always tickled my fancy!
Sur go for it, if it doesn't work out get something else.
At least you tried it.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:39 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5103 from Neverneverland
898 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Bandit 650s Cause I'm old
Modifications: invisible

Don't waste your money there's too much to go wrong with them . Buy a jap yoke.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:11 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,242 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

I had a duke 1098 for a few years. I tried commuting on it once or twice in the winter when the cage was getting a service or herself needed it etc.

I was let down twice on very cold - foggy evenings. The bike drove fine into work but after finishing the shift at 10pm the damp and cold would kill it.

It has the auto start where you just have to push the button and the bike will automatically keep the starter going until the engine runs. Needless to say this caused the biggest pain in the balls - would start for a split second and cut out.

I'm now on a Honda X11 - never had a starting issue even yesterday morn at 2 degrees. Every time she'll start. I hated the pressure of walking out to the bike praying it would start - get yourself a cheap winter hack and get the prilla for the weekend.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:12 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 7488 from Co. Meath
1,300 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Tuono V4R

Originally Posted by patz
Don't waste your money there's too much to go wrong with them . Buy a jap yoke.
Too much will go wrong with any bike if you don't look after them.
Old 5th December 2017, 02:30 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,308 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by manbearpig
I had a duke 1098 for a few years. I tried commuting on it once or twice in the winter when the cage was getting a service or herself needed it etc.

I was let down twice on very cold - foggy evenings. The bike drove fine into work but after finishing the shift at 10pm the damp and cold would kill it.

It has the auto start where you just have to push the button and the bike will automatically keep the starter going until the engine runs. Needless to say this caused the biggest pain in the balls - would start for a split second and cut out.

I'm now on a Honda X11 - never had a starting issue even yesterday morn at 2 degrees. Every time she'll start. I hated the pressure of walking out to the bike praying it would start - get yourself a cheap winter hack and get the aprilla for the weekend.
Hands in the air vociferations over 'Carattere' has long been a major selling point right across the mediterranean, for those few seconds of flirtatiously pressing all the right buttons, it affords the etruscan grease balls eating momas meatballs an effeminately temperamental and emotionally charged tragedian sense of occasion and drama, as the swirling induction poofs of warm air attempt to ignite the cold hearts of a highly strung and emotionally unpredictable compression chamber with just the fluttering of throttle valves and furry eyebrows in steadfast anticipation of intense exhilaration, the rest of the world just don't 'get' it.
Old 5th December 2017, 05:38 PM
mehhh

Biker.ie Member No. 35950 from Galway
326 posts since Mar 2016
Motorbike: RSV4, Duc 916, VFR 800

No much problem with mine over 20k miles, bar a new generator and reg/rec. Oh yeah, and it tried to kill me by snapping the suspension dog-bone. Other than that an ace bike.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:28 AM
Rossi fan

Biker.ie Member No. 19208
8,559 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: Gixxer
Modifications: Plenty

Had one, broke my heart and emptied my wallet. Spent a fortune to get it right, and then sold it. Just couldn’t stand the sight of the fuckin yoke any more, still get shivers down my spine thinking of it.
DO NOT BUY ONE EVER
Old 7th December 2017, 11:30 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,242 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Originally Posted by Sugule Ali
Had one, broke my heart and emptied my wallet. Spent a fortune to get it right, and then sold it. Just couldnít stand the sight of the fuckin yoke any more, still get shivers down my spine thinking of it.
DO NOT BUY ONE EVER
What did you have to do to get it right?
Old 7th December 2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,173 posts since Dec 2011

Sell it
Old 7th December 2017, 12:07 PM
Rossi fan

Replace a fair bit of wiring and the brown connectors Italian wiring is made of candy floss, melts in the rain. A couple of new rec/alt, replace fork leg stanchions new from ohlins should be torqued to 6nm but werenít and cracked. When replacing stanchions had to get forks serviced by ohlins, special tool to take them off, yes a decent mechanic may make up something to remove them, but not worth the risk of damaging forks. New rear suspension linkage as its made of paper and melts too, as one of the lads said dog bone tends to wear quickly and snap. Lots and lots of more wiring, and as said previously walking up admiring the bikes beauty looking forward to the thump of the twins turning the key and Ching Ching more money. There is more but thatís all I can think of off the top of my head.
Be prepared for a lot of bike less days !

Originally Posted by green grass
Sell it
Old 7th December 2017, 12:09 PM
Chief Physician

Talking Re: Short commute Kill an Aprilia RSVR?

Originally Posted by Sugule Ali
Had one, broke my heart and emptied my wallet. Spent a fortune to get it right, and then sold it. Just couldnít stand the sight of the fuckin yoke any more, still get shivers down my spine thinking of it.
DO NOT BUY ONE EVER
It might have been haunted, if its the same bike ( ended up in Kilkenny ) there's been a few possessors in rapid succession completely traumatised by the experience, and one of them, I think, needs counselling.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:13 PM
Rossi fan

Originally Posted by Admin
It might have been haunted, if its the same bike ( ended up in Kilkenny ) there's been a few possessors in rapid succession completely traumatised by the experience, and one of them, I think, needs counselling.
Sold it to a polish lad living in Dublin, I even warned him the costs of owning one and he seemed to know a lot more than me. Got a few Viber texts off him a few months later and tbf he was happy enough with it

Link to thread
http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread...96#post3337396

Last edited by Sugule Ali; 7th December 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 7th December 2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 14079
3,589 posts since Jan 2009

Had aprilias for 15 years and the only ever failure was a single sprag clutch on a falco i had. Tge previous owner never sorted the charging.
Current aprilia i have 10 yrs and has never let me down. The worst its done was once outside le mans the sidestand light started flickering. It was bypassed whilst drinking a beer that night and continued on happily across the continent.

Would i commute on it regular, naa better choices out there for a workhorse. Could it do it? Yes but only because everything I'm aware of a failure point has been fixed ahead of time.

Long story short, finish what aprilia didnt.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6549
1,551 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450

I've had 3 RSVR's and covered over 15k on them, only issue I had was stator failed in one. As already said the main issues relate to wiring, if you don't mind a bit of fettling they are easily sorted. In my opinion the engine is fairly bulletproof, Aprilia outsourced the manufacture of this to Rotax, a company that designs and make engines for light aircraft and are known for reliability (they have to be).

Having said all that a jap machine will probably be more reliable out of the box, so better suited to commuting, buy a cheap hack and a RSVR for sunny days
Old 10th December 2017, 06:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 12044 from Galway
1,337 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: Aprilia RSV4 RF
Modifications: Akrapovic

Had an RSV4 til recently, used it all round europe in some freezing weather in the alps. Have to say the build quality and reliability was second to none. In fairness, I know it was a much newer bike, but i would have zero trouble buying another one in the future!
Old 12th December 2017, 01:13 AM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,430 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by godofbiomechanics View Post

Long story short, finish what aprilia didnt.
bang on there . and give the bike a good inspection (dogbones etc) regular .
Old 12th December 2017, 08:20 AM
Chief Physician

Originally Posted by Jofass View Post
Had an RSV4 til recently, used it all round europe in some freezing weather in the alps. Have to say the build quality and reliability was second to none. In fairness, I know it was a much newer bike, but i would have zero trouble buying another one in the future!
I think Ducati, KTM and Aprilia have come on a lot in recent years and apart from niggly shyte - are probably just as reliable as the japs and in some cases even more so

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
aprilia, commute, kill, rsvr, short