Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 28th September 2005, 10:05 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 1873
1,754 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Read an article in one of the uk mags by Roland Brown - he writes some of the revies in BBG magazine. Anyhoo, he's the first journo that i've read that actually said he probably wouldn't notice the difference between the 06 and 04 R1's. I thought this was refreshingly honest but maybe there's fup all of a difference between the bikes.

This SP edition looks the business - I wonder what they'll be asking for them over here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Main Changes and Features

1) Boost in power output by maximizing intake/exhaust efficiency (same for both models)
While maintaining the same liquid-cooled 4-stroke, DOHC, 40-degree forward-inclined, in-line 4-cylinder 5-valve fuel injection engine format and specs including the bore-stroke, the compact combustion chamber, high-lift cams, the 12.4 : 1 compression ratio and FS connecting rods, a thorough pursuit of further intake/exhaust efficiency has produced a significant boost in power output compared to the existing model due to increased intake air volume. Compared to the existing model, the max. power output has been raised by 3PS to 175PS at the same rpm level of 12,500 rpm (NA: at natural intake).

2) Optimized frame balance (same for both models)
The Deltabox V (Victory) frame designed through a process of structural analysis and repeated testing based on the concept used for the MotoGP competition model YZR-M1, has been further revised to achieve optimum rigidity balance for improved handling.
The portion of the main frame where the forward engine mounts are located is made from layers of cast aluminum and aluminum plate (sheet metal) and the thickness of the cast aluminum piece that forms the inner layer has been reduced by 1 mm in some places for optimum balance.
For the YZF-R1 SP, additional changes have been made in the attaching portion of the engine mount area to achieve a setting that contributes to even better handling in cases such as high-speed circuit riding. Optimization of the connecting point rigidity in line with the chassis concept has helped achieve excellent handling characteristics to answer the needs of a variety of circuit riding situations.
Furthermore, the rigidity and shape of the under-bracket for the front fork has been revised along with the rigidity balance of the outer tube. The combined effect of these changes is an ideal rigidity balance in terms of the amount of "give" in the frame during cornering. The result is smoother response characteristics from the frame from the point of entering a turn until you begin to accelerate out of it, which contributes to this model's outstanding cornering performance.

3) Longer wheel base and long rear arm adopted (same for both models)
The upside down truss shaped aluminum rear arm maintains basically the same structure while being lengthened by 16 mm in the front-rear direction. The resulting increase in distance between the pivot and the rear axle contributes to reduced interference to the chassis resulting from chain tension during cornering, while also providing a good rigidity balance for achieving strong traction performance. This further improves the YZF-R1's excellent secondary steering performance. The resulting lengthening of the wheelbase is also 16 mm than the existing model.

4) Slipper clutch adopted (YZF-R1 SP only)
In order to further increase the capability for smooth approach into the turns, a slipper clutch has been adopted. This clutch has a mechanism that controls the amount of torque being transmitted from the rear wheel to the crank.

5) Ohlins suspensions adopted front and rear (YZF-R1 SP only)
In order to provide excellent cornering performance in circuit riding, Ohlins suspensions have been adopted front and rear. These suspensions have been developed by Ohlins staff, who are highly experienced as MotoGP machine setting crew members, working together with highly experienced Yamaha machine development staff through repeated road tests. The suspensions are characterized by the capacity to work up excellent settings based on the desired concept and provide a high-level balance of circuit performance potential as well as the qualities needed for use on public roads.

6) Forged aluminum Marchesini wheels (YZF-R1 SP only)
In order to further improve on the excellent handling characteristics of this model, lightweight forged aluminum wheels have been adopted for the best combination with the new frame spec. Adopted for the first time on a Yamaha production models for use on public roads, these wheels have been jointly developed by Yamaha and Marchesini engineers according to Yamaha manufacturing standards and are specially manufactured by Marchesini. In appearance they have the same "Y" shaped spokes as the YZR-M1 MotoGP machine's wheels. The two wheels combine to give a weight reduction of about 400 g compared to the existing model's wheels.

7) 17-inch radial tires front and rear for outstanding performance
In order to provide the best match with the new frame balance, the new YZF-R1 adopts as its standard tires OEM models with new internal structure (same existing outer tread pattern, Dunlop "D218" / Michelin "Pilot Power") that ensures excellent handling and traction. As for the "YZF-R1 SP," the Pirelli "Diablo Corsa" is set as the standard tire for outstanding performance in circuit riding.
Old 28th September 2005, 10:24 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2019
379 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: ZX6R :)

I think the SP is going for about 17-18,000stg. You would probably be looking at close on 30,000 again they rob the VRT off you and add in for the sh*te they call customer service over here!

Gorgeous looking machine. Hopefully next year they will give a closer replica of the M1 with Rossi paint job
Old 28th September 2005, 11:57 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969
1,944 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: CBR1000F

The SP is 11-13k stg according to MCN
Old 28th September 2005, 12:14 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2019
379 posts since Jul 2005

Sh*t, sorry. Was getting my sterling and euro mixed up. Was thinking the standard bike was 12,000. Of course it is about 8,000 or 12,000ish :huh:

Either way, get saving. You will need about 20,000 for the SP :P
Old 28th September 2005, 01:03 PM
MotoGP Legend
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1873

Originally posted by PaulG@Sep 28 2005, 11:14 AM
[b]Sh*t, sorry. Was getting my sterling and euro mixed up. Was thinking the standard bike was 12,000. Of course it is about 8,000 or 12,000ish :huh:

[right]8625[/right]
That's a big leap in price i reckon. It would seem a similar to the goodies you get with a 999s over a 999 but i think they difference is about 4000. No slipper clutch though.
Old 28th September 2005, 01:23 PM
Oracle

Biker.ie Member No. 1930 from Athlone
10,947 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: What ya got? FZR 600
Modifications: Looking for new bike.

Originally posted by PaulG@Sep 28 2005, 11:14 AM
[b]Sh*t, sorry. Was getting my sterling and euro mixed up. Was thinking the standard bike was 12,000. Of course it is about 8,000 or 12,000ish :huh:

[right]8625[/right]
a standard 2005 R1 is about 15500 as far as i know
Old 28th September 2005, 01:52 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2019
379 posts since Jul 2005

Originally posted by charlieIRL@Sep 28 2005, 12:23 PM
[b]a standard 2005 R1 is about 15500 as far as i know
[right]8649[/right]
Alright, I just looked it up. The standard price for the R1 is 9,400stg. You would probably get one in the UK for less than 9,000 though! 15,500 sounds right when you throw in the VRT and the lack of competition with bike shops and the rip off factor.

I will crawl back in to my hovel now

Either way, you will need the guts of 20,000 for an SP.
Old 28th September 2005, 01:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969

MCN said in their review that you could buy a standard r1 and put all the fancy suspension/wheels on it as the sp and come out with a grand in your pocket.
Old 28th September 2005, 02:05 PM
MotoGP Legend
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1873

Originally posted by cbroar@Sep 28 2005, 12:56 PM
[b]MCN said in their review that you could buy a standard r1 and put all the fancy suspension/wheels on it as the sp and come out with a grand in your pocket.
[right]8665[/right]

Exactly - that's what i was figuring. Can't see them selling many for the price of a 999S - but what do I know.
Old 28th September 2005, 02:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969

13k stg....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcn.jpg (77.7 KB)

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
yamaha

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed