Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th January 2019, 10:18 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
70 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Triumph Tiger 800
Modifications: Leovince,arrow map
Default Riding birds in the U.S.

Anyone any experience riding in the U.S.? I'm doing a J1 for the Summer and was thinking of getting a bike over there. Got an insurance quote from Fernets for $246 equivalent of tpo over here on a 2016 R6, 19 year old, with motorcycle licence and no ncb. Bikes are a lot cheaper over there so I was also looking into bringing it back. Just wondering if there's any pitfalls anyone is aware of.
Old 11th January 2019, 02:26 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4266 from co.cork
1,722 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: Tiger sport 1050/vara
Default Re: Riding bikes in the U.S.

Pm cbroar,he has a bike over there
Old 11th January 2019, 08:47 AM
. . . . . .

Biker.ie Member No. 3765 from Dublin
1,645 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: ZX6R

Make sure you have top notch medical cover, even a minor off over there can cost tens of thousands.
Have a blast
Old 11th January 2019, 09:38 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27774
152 posts since Nov 2011

Make sure you fit in with the rest of the biker dudes over there, full safety gear at all times, T-shirt shorts and flip flops should do it
Old 11th January 2019, 09:51 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,942 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Originally Posted by biker.fakey
Make sure you fit in with the rest of the biker dudes over there, full safety gear at all times, T-shirt shorts and flip flops should do it
don't forget the 'safety shades'!
Old 11th January 2019, 11:12 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8221 from Walkinstown
393 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: 05 SV650S
Modifications: GSXR Front End, Viper Can

Originally Posted by seano
Anyone any experience riding in the U.S.? I'm doing a J1 for the Summer and was thinking of getting a bike over there. Got an insurance quote from Fernets for $246 equivalent of tpo over here on a 2016 R6, 19 year old, with motorcycle licence and no ncb. Bikes are a lot cheaper over there so I was also looking into bringing it back. Just wondering if there's any pitfalls anyone is aware of.
From recollection you Irish licence will only cover you for maybe a month over there and you're supposed to get a US licence if staying any longer. It may vary state to state though.

Had the same issue with a cage when I was over there years ago, which we got around by "selling" the cage to another one of our group each month.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:23 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 7270 from Northside Dublin
80 posts since Nov 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit GSF1250A K8

It varies from State to State--think Irish licence good for 90 days in some places. Believe some states you need Theory test and driving test--though have heard of people being allowed skip test based on age and experience.Where are you headed?
Old 11th January 2019, 01:16 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38574
47 posts since Sep 2018

Do you plan on renting a bike or buying one on Craigslist? I'm hoping to do a J1 also this summer and was thinking of renting a bike to travel at the end with some mates. I'd be the only one on a bike, however as the rest only have car licences.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:30 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4266 from co.cork
1,722 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: Tiger sport 1050/vara

Originally Posted by muzz_mm
Do you plan on renting a bike or buying one on Craigslist? I'm hoping to do a J1 also this summer and was thinking of renting a bike to travel at the end with some mates. I'd be the only one on a bike, however as the rest only have car licences.
i rented a bike,its expensive,if longer then two weeks id be looking at buying one and selling after,piece of mind with renting though
Old 11th January 2019, 01:38 PM
Novice Racer

47 posts since Sep 2018

Originally Posted by setter
i rented a bike,its expensive,if longer then two weeks id be looking at buying one and selling after,piece of mind with renting though
Were you on a J1 visa? It probably doesn't make a huge difference but I'd love to hear if someone did the J1 and rented/bought a bike during the 3 months they were there.

If I were going for 3 months, I'd be looking to buy one and hopefully being able to sell at the end of August. That would probably have to be in the same State from where I bought it, right?
Old 11th January 2019, 01:45 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

70 posts since Oct 2018

Would be hoping for Colorado/rockies but I'll probably end up doing Summer camp counseling as accommodation and food is paid for and most of the ones that seem to be sponsoring are on the east coast.

I was thinking of buying a bike, insurance is dirt cheap and bikes are cheap. I'll just have to check medical insurance to see if that covers in accidents etc. I haven't checked out craigslist only autotrader and it's mostly dealers on there and they seem very reasonable. There's a rebuilt 2016 R6 assuming it was nothing too major that seems an incredible deal. Don't know if link will work. https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/m...f_r6/200530039

@muzz Where are you thinking of going? Any ideas for jobs?
Old 11th January 2019, 01:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969
1,956 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: CBR1000F

Originally Posted by setter
Pm cbroar,he has a bike over there
Alright Tom, any plans for US roadtrip this year?

Buying and insuring a bike is no problem. The problem usually is registering and without reg you cant insure it. If you are renting a place and have your name on the lease and household bills you should be able to register it otherwise you'll need someone else to register it in their name so you can get plates and insure it.

Bringing it back is another issue, not sure if there are the same exemptions for the USA as there are for the EU e.g. moving residence, to avoid VAT/VRT. Either way your J1 stay will probably be to short anyway to qualify so bringing the bike back is usually too expensive, nearly 4k for me to bring back a 03 fjr13 which is why its still in the states. Unless you get it for a steal or its an exclusive model its better to sell it before returning. Keep in mind too that you'll probably have limited time in which to advertise and sell it over there so may have to take a lot less than its worth to shift it quick.

I'd be looking to buy something relatively cheap that you wont mind leaving on the side of the road when your heading back.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:58 PM
Novice Racer

47 posts since Sep 2018

I'm looking at the West Coast at the moment, San Diego most likely as I've heard great things - weather, jobs, close to Yosemite, Vegas, LA, etc. A mate of mine went there last year and got a great job in a restaurant and made some good money.

My plan would be to head there, make some money and then travel for the latter part of the summer. I'd love to have a go on "The Snake" on a bike, that would be a real treat but I don't know if that is wishful thinking.

I was thinking of posting a thread asking this exact same question a few weeks ago.

That R6 looks very clean. You've definitely done your research RE insurance etc. Are there any restrictions about using the Irish Bike license over there - minimum 2 years, age, etc?
Old 11th January 2019, 02:00 PM
Novice Racer

47 posts since Sep 2018

Originally Posted by cbroar

I'd be looking to buy something relatively cheap that you wont mind leaving on the side of the road when your heading back.
This would be my plan!
Old 11th January 2019, 02:20 PM
Back in Cumblowus O-H-I-O

Biker.ie Member No. 19826 from Columbus OH USAUSAUSA
2,204 posts since Dec 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZRX1200,FJ1300
Modifications: Sold 3 already

Be aware that some states do require helmets be worn. Colorado is a beautiful state, outstanding riding and weed is legal :)
Earache on here lives there. Except for California lane splitting is illegal. Road discipline is appalling so undertake if you need to. Flashing your high beams at someone to ask them to move over is considered a challenge by some. Don't act like an asshole on yer bike. Especially out west, a good proportion of the population is armed.
Road are generally in lovely condition
You can pick up seriously good deals on bikes that are generally in a lot better condition then what you are used to there.
craigslist is your friend

Have a great time, Ive been here nearly 30 years and I am still awestruck when I head out west. Speaking of which , starting a 2000 mile journey from OH to AZ today

San Diego is beautiful but expensive. Take a trip to Coronado Island over the bridge, impressive to say the least.
As far as I know CA insurance can be bad. Go here https://progressive.com and get you a quote to get an idea.

BTW close to things does not mean the same here as there
I'm looking at the West Coast at the moment, San Diego most likely as I've heard great things - weather, jobs, close to Yosemite, Vegas, LA,
SD to LV 332 miles
SD to Yosemite 481 miles
SD to LA only 120 miles but the traffic is horrendous

Last edited by GreenRex; 11th January 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11th January 2019, 02:27 PM
Novice Racer

70 posts since Oct 2018

Cheers cbroar, regards registering it in someone elses name, I have cousins over there who would probably be willing to register it. Only thing is does it have to be presented at dmv in the state it is being registered in, that could pose an issue as I could be a few 1000 miles away.

California would be sick alright, I'd nearly go for just for the lane splitting and it's pretty close to a lot of state parks.

Does anyone know re paying Vat on import in Ireland, I assume it's on purchase price, wondering because if you buy something and do a couple thousand miles the value would be less than what you bought it for.

R6 would be nice but with the size of the country and that it now looks too expensive to import, so an mt09 or something a bit more practical would be better.
Old 11th January 2019, 02:47 PM
Novice Racer

70 posts since Oct 2018

Originally Posted by GreenRex
Don't act like an asshole on yer bike. Especially out west, a good proportion of the population is armed.
I've seen plenty of road rage vids alright where it ends in one fella pulling a gun. I prefer to get on and be done with it as there's no point arguing with eejits. And anyway I think the thought that many people you see could have a ccw is enough to stop me even thinking about doing anything stupid.

Enjoy the trip, you've got the right bikes for the long miles by the looks of it.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:23 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969
1,956 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: CBR1000F

First time registrations typically have to be presented for inspection alright. When will you be in Colorado? Might be able to use the fjr13 as long as im not using it. It might need a little bit of tlc though.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:33 PM
Back in Cumblowus O-H-I-O

Biker.ie Member No. 19826 from Columbus OH USAUSAUSA
2,204 posts since Dec 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZRX1200,FJ1300
Modifications: Sold 3 already

Originally Posted by seano
I've seen plenty of road rage vids alright where it ends in one fella pulling a gun. I prefer to get on and be done with it as there's no point arguing with eejits. And anyway I think the thought that many people you see could have a ccw is enough to stop me even thinking about doing anything stupid.

Enjoy the trip, you've got the right bikes for the long miles by the looks of it.
TBH fellas with CCW's are not the problem, they have been taught the when and the why .
OH no I'm not riding , its -10C at the moment , taking my FJR and her Street Triple out though
Old 11th January 2019, 03:46 PM
Novice Racer

70 posts since Oct 2018

Thats an awesome offer cheers, assuming I get the visa and everything goes ok, it would probably be around mid August.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bikes, riding