Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th January 2007, 01:10 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3707 from Cork
525 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: CBF600
Modifications: Alarm, Scottoiler, heated grips, topbox and paniers, changed sprockets, speedo healer
Default Drink Driving Thread

The drink driving thread closed before I could make a comment. I thought it was one of the better threads recently before it disintegrated.

The huge emphasis on random breath test seems to have reduced some of the road deaths in the last couple of months of last year. But as some of the contributors to the original thread pointed out what about the other bad driving out there (the nail painters etc).

There was a statistic in the media recently that reckoned that something like 30% of all road deaths were drink related. This explains the concentration on the random breath tests. But is also begs an even bigger question.

WHAT'S CAUSING THE OTHER 70%.

And more importantly why isn't there a campaign to reduce those deaths?
Old 8th January 2007, 01:15 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 2729 from Raheny, Dublin North
3,022 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: 2005 ZX6R 636

Also 200.000 foreign nationals registered here last year, that is a potential 200.000 more cars on the roads, and a lot of these cam from an even worse drink driving culture than Ireland have/have had so even if the road deaths among the people already living here the statistic could have stayed the same or gone up - a foreigner myself by the way
Old 8th January 2007, 01:19 PM
Eleanor Abernathy to you!

Biker.ie Member No. 3455
8,896 posts since Jul 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: K8 600 & NC30 & SV650 #77
Modifications: colmh not ridin' bitch an

Was anybody watching TV3 news 2 or 3 days ago relating to road death?
They did a txt poll and and the figures that came out were like this; something like 25% still drink and drive, 10% still use their mobile phone, and 8% still do over the speed limit.

I think the first is just disgraceful!! And it looks like even thought they are comin down harder on it, people will just never learn...
Old 8th January 2007, 01:21 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

I actually use the road 7 days a week, I cover a lot of mileage etc. I do not think that speed is the main cause. The driving i witness is down to arrogance, stupidity and wrecklessness. I mean thi smorning a taxi driver at the last minute decided to ditch as he had past an exit on the M50 and just pulls across in front of me. this is the norm and its almost like it accepted now. I am not aiming at taxi drivers in particular but this type of erratic behavoiour. We need more traffic cops, this can only be a good thing. Safe journey folks.
Old 8th January 2007, 01:25 PM
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

525 posts since Sep 2006
Modifications: Alarm, Scottoiler, heated grips, topbox and paniers, changed sprockets, speedo healer

Originally Posted by Blade RR
I am not aiming at taxi drivers in particular but this type of erratic behavoiour. We need more traffic cops, this can only be a good thing. Safe journey folks.
This is exactly what I was getting at. By concentrating on drink driving the powers that be can ignore the much bigger problem of bad, arrogant, bullying, dangerous driving.
Old 8th January 2007, 01:36 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 4313 from North Dublin
965 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: VFR800
Modifications: go faster scratches, speed dints and air conditioning

Originally Posted by rachymc
Was anybody watching TV3 news 2 or 3 days ago relating to road death?
They did a txt poll and and the figures that came out were like this; something like 25% still drink and drive, 10% still use their mobile phone, and 8% still do over the speed limit.

I think the first is just disgraceful!! And it looks like even thought they are comin down harder on it, people will just never learn...
Not sure what the percentage is (in Ireland) but driver fatigue accounts for a high degree of accidents in this country.

We are probably the only country without any rest stops on motorways where you can pull into and take 10 mins with a cup of coffee. Having to come off the motorway to drive into a town defeats the original purpose of the motorway in the first place. Some argue that these places are meccas for low life that hang around them but it's better than pulling over into the emergency stop lane for a quickie nap in your cage.

See this document http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/D...he%20Facts.doc
Old 8th January 2007, 01:54 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 1995 from Dublin
796 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: VFR (Vtec)

Originally Posted by 2Fast
Not sure what the percentage is (in Ireland) but driver fatigue accounts for a high degree of accidents in this country.

We are probably the only country without any rest stops on motorways where you can pull into and take 10 mins with a cup of coffee. Having to come off the motorway to drive into a town defeats the original purpose of the motorway in the first place. Some argue that these places are meccas for low life that hang around them but it's better than pulling over into the emergency stop lane for a quickie nap in your cage.

See this document http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/D...he%20Facts.doc
Gobsmacked recently to hear that the National Roads Authority had a policy of not allowing major Fuel/Rest areas be developed on newer M and N routes. WTF!!!!! Makes no sense.
Old 8th January 2007, 02:47 PM
Da bollix

Biker.ie Member No. 3161 from Meath
14,399 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: CBR900RRS, ZXR750
Modifications: Allsorts

Originally Posted by Blade RR
I actually use the road 7 days a week, I cover a lot of mileage etc. I do not think that speed is the main cause. The driving i witness is down to arrogance, stupidity and wrecklessness. I mean thi smorning a taxi driver at the last minute decided to ditch as he had past an exit on the M50 and just pulls across in front of me. this is the norm and its almost like it accepted now. I am not aiming at taxi drivers in particular but this type of erratic behavoiour. We need more traffic cops, this can only be a good thing. Safe journey folks.
Totally agree, I don't pay any heed to statistics - I cover over 40k miles a year and can vouch for the statement above, wrecklessness has to be the biggest factor in most serious accidents, how does a car get broken into 2 pieces in a 50kph zone ? Not starting a cage thing here but surely that can't happen if it was going anything even close to the limit.

My personal fave (see it quite often too) is the 1.0 overtaking an artic at 55mph with oncoming traffic on the horizon - russian roulette for the modern age!
Old 8th January 2007, 03:08 PM
vintage biatch

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,818 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by Fazer600
Gobsmacked recently to hear that the National Roads Authority had a policy of not allowing major Fuel/Rest areas be developed on newer M and N routes. WTF!!!!! Makes no sense.
what ? they diddnt build knacker camps along the road?
Old 8th January 2007, 03:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,543 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

1/. 500,000 learner drivers.

2/. Of that 500,000 50% on their 2nd or 3rd provisional.

3/. Zippo "real" road training.

4/. Drugs.

5/. No policy towards foreign nationals driving here

7/. Shite road markings/.

8/. Speed.
Old 8th January 2007, 03:26 PM
vintage biatch

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,818 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by SUGS
1/. 500,000 learner drivers.

2/. Of that 500,000 50% on their 2nd or 3rd provisional.

3/. Zippo "real" road training.

4/. Drugs.

5/. No policy towards foreign nationals driving here

7/. Shite road markings/.

8/. Speed.
state of the roads too .some realy are lethal.
Old 8th January 2007, 06:10 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

Lads, i kinda know someone who works for a company involved with the roads etc. I heard (no bull) that the countries councils buy the lowest grade of tar possible even though they have the money to spend on the good stuff!
Old 8th January 2007, 07:32 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2186 from Dublin/Kildare
3,513 posts since Sep 2005
Motorbike: Lots of stuff
Modifications: Biker.ie gold stickers

I agree with a Sugs.. though I'd move speed up to number one...

The prime age for motorcycle fatalities is... get this... 17years of age...

You have a three times greater chance of being in a smack if you have no training...

And a rider of 30 years of age with no experience is three times less likely to be involved in a crash than the equilivant 20 year old rider...

It's inexperience and speed... and throw in a few pints and you've got an overconfidence in ability to fuel the above...
Old 8th January 2007, 07:45 PM
cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 4050 from Dublin
8,335 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: bmw
Modifications: Somewhere to keep them out of the rain
Default Make ride a motorcycle for a bit

Originally Posted by BigEnd
WHAT'S CAUSING THE OTHER 70%.

And more importantly why isn't there a campaign to reduce those deaths?
agree with above threads. My uncles are bikers but have been off the road for over twenty years (kids and subsequent lack of funds ) and are getting back into it this year . I've been giving them encouragement (to my aunties alarm) but trying to explain what it is like on a bike these days.

A big discussion ensued after dinner (pre new year) and we all agree'd that drivers who have riden motorcycles in the past make far safer drivers than the likes of Sooorcha from D4(ish ) who's hair dooo couldn't stand a helmet and water prooofs do nothing for her bum. Sorry, posterier. Little does she know that she'd probably look hot in leathers and have the ride of her life

Well we didn't discuss it like that exactly but my suggestion was that if the government modernise our licencing system and get rid of the prov, introduce the learner licence and impose manditory riding for a short period of a month or so, cagers would be a lot safer on the roads. A few good scares would help educate Sooorcha about what to look out for when she's driving her large SUV.
Old 8th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 1838 from Buswalds
9,997 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: PC35
Modifications: Rattled-canned

Shows how much you know my friend. Very few people in D4 drive.

There's people paid to do that.
Old 9th January 2007, 09:30 AM
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

525 posts since Sep 2006

Originally Posted by FlatKnuckles
Well we didn't discuss it like that exactly but my suggestion was that if the government modernise our licencing system and get rid of the prov, introduce the learner licence and impose manditory riding for a short period of a month or so, cagers would be a lot safer on the roads. A few good scares would help educate Sooorcha about what to look out for when she's driving her large SUV.
That reminds me of a programme that was on the TV some time ago listing all the devices now fitted to cages to make them safer. The conclusion was that all these devices did was give drivers a false sense of security and allowed them to be less careful and more reckless in their driving.

Someone on the programme suggested that the best safety device would be a sharp spike fitted in the centre of the steering wheel aimed directly at the drivers chest. Great incentive to drive carefully
Old 9th January 2007, 09:53 AM
Da bollix

Biker.ie Member No. 3161 from Meath
14,399 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: CBR900RRS, ZXR750
Modifications: Allsorts

Originally Posted by BigEnd
That reminds me of a programme that was on the TV some time ago listing all the devices now fitted to cages to make them safer. The conclusion was that all these devices did was give drivers a false sense of security and allowed them to be less careful and more reckless in their driving.

Someone on the programme suggested that the best safety device would be a sharp spike fitted in the centre of the steering wheel aimed directly at the drivers chest. Great incentive to drive carefully
Jeremy Clarkson, one of his better ideas, totally agree - always get a false sense of security in a cage I can remember when ABS was supposed to stop crashes altogether
Old 9th January 2007, 01:26 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4027 from Dublin
310 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: Bandit 6, Honda Deauville
Modifications: Georgie Bests Liver

Originally Posted by Technician
Shows how much you know my friend. Very few people in D4 drive.

There's people paid to do that.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
drink, driving, thread