Old 6th June 2017, 09:40 PM #1
Supporter

Motorbike: Honda VF 750 Magna
Supporter

Rides: Honda VF 750 Magna
New to the game

Hi. I'm fairly new to biking. Have had a good interest in biking but am only taking the leap now to get my first bike. Just wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on a couple of bikes I think I've narrowed it down to.
I'd give you the links but can't post them as I'm a new member

1: 1996 Honda Shadow VT 600 (2400) 15K miles

2: 2000 Honda Shadow VT 750 (2850) 34K KM
Advert reads:
Only 2 previous owners including myself. Little bit of cleaning to be done, but mechanically perfect, running and driving perfect.
Learner legal if over the age of 24 and if its your first bike it would be a great bike to start of on had it just over a year and has never given me a day of trouble.

Any advice or anything I should be looking out for when going to view these bikes? Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
VT shadow 1996.jpg   VT shadow 2000.png  
hughcifer is offline   ReplyReply
Old 6th June 2017, 09:48 PM #2
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: CBF 600 :)
Modifications: Carbon Stubby,lobotomy :P
MotoGP Legend

Rides: CBF 600 :)
Mods: Carbon Stubby,lobotomy :P
Re: New to the game

Bring someone with you to view the bike. Ensure they are knowledgeable. It can save a lot of heartache! Best of luck!
The Windy City Rumbler is offline   ReplyReply
Old 6th June 2017, 10:36 PM #3
WSB Contender

Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
WSB Contender

Rides: Suzuki GSX 600F

before you start looking at bikes its important to know that you will be able to get a license to ride the bike and insure it. that's very much dependant on your age

If you are not 24 or older then you can forget about any bike that has a power rating over 35KW (400cc generally). you will first have to pass the test on a lower capacity bike and then progress to a full (A class) license

everything you need to know about the different types of licenses and what bikes you can ride on each licenses are here

http://www.magireland.org/2012/infor...license-facts/

If you are over 24 then my advice is go straight for the full A license (Direct Access). Otherwise you will be on the Progressive Access track which will work out considerably more expensive in the long run (training, tests, etc)

Direct Access
Direct access is where you have not previously held a full licence in a lower category of motorcycle previously. You MUST be over 24 and you MUST take you test on a bike of 600cc or more.

Progressive Access
Progressive access applies to categories A2 and A. This means that you may be entitled to complete a course of training in order to obtain the higher motorcycle category full licence. For example, if you are 18 years of age and you have held a full Category A1 licence for 2 years, you can complete a training course (or progression module) of Initial Basic Training on an A2 motorcycle, and upon satisfactory completion of the training, you can get your full Category A2 licence.

before you buy a bike check with the insurance companies how much an insurance policy is going to cost. Depending on your age, where you live, and which bike you want to insure insurance premiums can vary by a HUGE degree.
If you an old lad like myself (40+) then most bikes will be affordable, under 40 and some bikes might have insurance premiums that cost more than the bike.

theres a good thread on the forum somewhere where people post what they had to pay for their insurance, forget the name of the thread but well worth a read.
efanton is offline   ReplyReply
Old 7th June 2017, 12:24 PM #4
Supporter

Motorbike: Honda VF 750 Magna
Supporter

Rides: Honda VF 750 Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Windy City Rumbler View Post
Bring someone with you to view the bike. Ensure they are knowledgeable. It can save a lot of heartache! Best of luck!
Have a good mate lined up to give me a hand. He'll know better than me what hes looking as a regards possible problems with the bike. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by efanton View Post
before you start looking at bikes its important to know that you will be able to get a license to ride the bike and insure it. that's very much dependant on your age

If you are not 24 or older then you can forget about any bike that has a power rating over 35KW (400cc generally). you will first have to pass the test on a lower capacity bike and then progress to a full (A class) license

everything you need to know about the different types of licenses and what bikes you can ride on each licenses are here

If you are over 24 then my advice is go straight for the full A license (Direct Access). Otherwise you will be on the Progressive Access track which will work out considerably more expensive in the long run (training, tests, etc)

Direct Access
Direct access is where you have not previously held a full licence in a lower category of motorcycle previously. You MUST be over 24 and you MUST take you test on a bike of 600cc or more.

Progressive Access
Progressive access applies to categories A2 and A. This means that you may be entitled to complete a course of training in order to obtain the higher motorcycle category full licence. For example, if you are 18 years of age and you have held a full Category A1 licence for 2 years, you can complete a training course (or progression module) of Initial Basic Training on an A2 motorcycle, and upon satisfactory completion of the training, you can get your full Category A2 licence.

before you buy a bike check with the insurance companies how much an insurance policy is going to cost. Depending on your age, where you live, and which bike you want to insure insurance premiums can vary by a HUGE degree.
If you an old lad like myself (40+) then most bikes will be affordable, under 40 and some bikes might have insurance premiums that cost more than the bike.

theres a good thread on the forum somewhere where people post what they had to pay for their insurance, forget the name of the thread but well worth a read.
I'm 32 and have a full clean B licence so just need to get my theory test passed on Monday. Got a really good quote from Principal Insurance based on a VT Shadow 750.
hughcifer is offline   ReplyReply
Old 7th June 2017, 03:29 PM #5
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly
Veteran Racer

Rides: bicycle
Mods: big belly

welcome along lad
jp biker is online now   ReplyReply

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers