Old 2nd November 2019, 07:30 PM #1
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Cj 360 t honda

Hi all .anyone have one here or any experience with one going looking at one next week .what to look out for and are parts easy to get .any advice welcome
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:37 PM #2
-alan-'s Avatar
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter

-alan-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Rides: Blue Bomber & tbc..
Re: Cj 360 t honda

As Honda twins go, those older single-cam engined ones are fairly straightforward things to work on and get parts for.

Always found this a good checklist:

https://dannix.net/lib/moto/old-honda-twins

Have a look in here for 360 specific stuff - it's about the best source of info you'll get on them:

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/13...j-sl-1968-1976

Old Honda twins of that era were fairly low tech - but well engineered (if that's not a contradiction in terms).
If it starts and then runs reasonably well when its had a chance to warm up, and rides ok - and hasn't been very obviously butchered by some of the previous owners - then there's not really much that's going to come up and bite you later.

I'd say virtually all of the parts are available for them new either OEM or pattern these days - and if they're not, chances are that something else from one of the other twins or fours from the 70s or 80s will fit as they shared parts across lots of models.

Best of luck if you do buy one btw :)

Last edited by -alan-; 2nd November 2019 at 11:51 PM.
-alan- is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:31 AM #3
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by -alan-
As Honda twins go, those older single-cam engined ones are fairly straightforward things to work on and get parts for.

Always found this a good checklist:

https://dannix.net/lib/moto/old-honda-twins

Have a look in here for 360 specific stuff - it's about the best source of info you'll get on them:

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/13...j-sl-1968-1976

Old Honda twins of that era were fairly low tech - but well engineered (if that's not a contradiction in terms).
If it starts and then runs reasonably well when its had a chance to warm up, and rides ok - and hasn't been very obviously butchered by some of the previous owners - then there's not really much that's going to come up and bite you later.

I'd say virtually all of the parts are available for them new either OEM or pattern these days - and if they're not, chances are that something else from one of the other twins or fours from the 70s or 80s will fit as they shared parts across lots of models.

Best of luck if you do buy one btw :)
Cheers for those sites great info on the first one for a noob like me .appreciate it .
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:58 AM #4
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,371
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: boobies
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,371
Rides: jap brit and euro
Mods: boobies
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Good luck if ya buy it
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:42 AM #5
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by chopper
Good luck if ya buy it

Lol will I need luck if I purchase it
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:43 AM #6
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by chopper
Good luck if ya buy it
Should I stay away from it
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:49 AM #7
PADDYOT's Avatar
PADDYOT PADDYOT is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
Posts: 3,257
Motorbike: Yer aul wan
Modifications: Sphincter tightener
PADDYOT PADDYOT is offline
Veteran Racer

PADDYOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
Posts: 3,257
Rides: Yer aul wan
Mods: Sphincter tightener
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by chopper
Good luck if ya buy it
Sounds ominous all right.
PADDYOT is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:30 AM #8
-alan-'s Avatar
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter

-alan-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Rides: Blue Bomber & tbc..
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by thecelt
Lol will I need luck if I purchase it
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty they're an easy Vintage/Classic to start with. Any bike that's 30-40? years old is going to need work and fettling but that's part of the ownership deal. Damn good way to improve your mechanicing / spannering skills - and pretty satisfying when you do get them running sweetly.

If you want something that looks well and is fun to ride the odd dry weekend, but don't fancy the idea of trawling through forums trying to find what's wrong with a bike/what you have to do to get it going/chasing bits off the internet and getting properly hands on with one - then safer going for something more modern.

Fwiw I have a sports bike sitting in the garage - gets fk'all attention and works perfectly, and a '72 450. I'm never done working at something or other on the 450 - but in all honesty reckon I get more craic out of working through all of the little issues on it and gradually getting everything sorted out on her.

If you're happy enough with the thought of having an ongoing running/restoration project in the garage - and the price is right - I'd say go for it.

Mine as she was last year over at Skerries:



Since then she's had new shocks (the originals were too long), the carbs finally sorted out after many failed attempts and lots of head scratching, and has a new Reg/Rec waiting to go on. They kind of get below your skin :)

Last edited by -alan-; 3rd November 2019 at 10:35 AM.
-alan- is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:06 AM #9
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by -alan-
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty they're an easy Vintage/Classic to start with. Any bike that's 30-40? years old is going to need work and fettling but that's part of the ownership deal. Damn good way to improve your mechanicing / spannering skills - and pretty satisfying when you do get them running sweetly.

If you want something that looks well and is fun to ride the odd dry weekend, but don't fancy the idea of trawling through forums trying to find what's wrong with a bike/what you have to do to get it going/chasing bits off the internet and getting properly hands on with one - then safer going for something more modern.

Fwiw I have a sports bike sitting in the garage - gets fk'all attention and works perfectly, and a '72 450. I'm never done working at something or other on the 450 - but in all honesty reckon I get more craic out of working through all of the little issues on it and gradually getting everything sorted out on her.

If you're happy enough with the thought of having an ongoing running/restoration project in the garage - and the price is right - I'd say go for it.

Mine as she was last year over at Skerries:



Since then she's had new shocks (the originals were too long), the carbs finally sorted out after many failed attempts and lots of head scratching, and has a new Reg/Rec waiting to go on. They kind of get below your skin :)
Cheers Alan have to start somewhere hopefully .it was running before it got parked up and all parts are there but as ya said prob start off on something simple as this and the price looks ok to me .that machine of urs looks sweet. I'm not looking to get anything perfect or even original
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:26 AM #10
-alan-'s Avatar
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter

-alan-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Rides: Blue Bomber & tbc..
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Re the price - if she's running (or genuinely was) but not running perfectly, I'd say allow yourself a budget for 500-1000 for the endless stream of odds and ends and maybe a bit of engine work that it might need to get it sorted. Do the sums and see if it makes sense for ye - and if it does, go for it. And stick up some pics here then if you do :)
-alan- is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:45 AM #11
thecelt's Avatar
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Motorbike: Yes
Modifications: scratches
thecelt thecelt is online now
WSB Contender

thecelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: none of your business
Posts: 747
Rides: Yes
Mods: scratches
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Originally Posted by -alan-
Re the price - if she's running (or genuinely was) but not running perfectly, I'd say allow yourself a budget for 500-1000 for the endless stream of odds and ends and maybe a bit of engine work that it might need to get it sorted. Do the sums and see if it makes sense for ye - and if it does, go for it. And stick up some pics here then if you do :)
Will do alan .Il be pestering u for advice if I get it lol
thecelt is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:37 PM #12
-alan-'s Avatar
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..
-alan- -alan- is offline
Supporter

-alan-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,883
Rides: Blue Bomber & tbc..
Re: Cj 360 t honda

Blind leading the blind.. esp when there's pros and lots more old hands on here :)

But aye - glad to help if I can.
-alan- is offline   ReplyReply
 

Irish Biker's Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection above. .